View topic image gallery

7402diagram.gif
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

All three pop bumpers are out on my Taxi. All three come up on as an error during a switch test mode. Checked all fuses and all seemed good. Any other suggestions? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance..

#2 10 years ago

Did you pull fuses and check with a meter ?

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Have you tried grounding the coil to see if you have power?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you pull fuses and check with a meter ?
LTG : )

Yes pull all fuses and check with a meter.. Do you know what particular fuse controls those pop bumpers?

Thanks..

#5 10 years ago

Check your manual for the fuse list.

If you don't have one, download a PDF file of your manual at ipdb.org

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from vectordreams:

Have you tried grounding the coil to see if you have power?

No not sure how to do that... I've got a ground tester.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Check your manual for the fuse list.
If you don't have one, download a PDF file of your manual at ipdb.org

Yeah I don't have a manual..

#8 10 years ago

Looks like Q44 is the transistor for those bumpers

#9 10 years ago

For those three Bumper there are three transistors correct? Q75, Q73, and Q77.. Page 72 in manual..Is that correct?

#10 10 years ago

or should I be looking at the Switch-Matrix table? Theyre all in the same column under grn-orn Q44

#12 10 years ago

Arent the sling shots and pop bumpers on the same fuse for this game? If it was a fuse then they both wouldn't work, right?

#13 10 years ago

???

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

For those three Bumper there are three transistors correct? Q75, Q73, and Q77.. Page 72 in manual..Is that correct?

Yes, looks like it - but did all the pops start working at once or sequentially? If all at once it sounds very unlikely that 3 transistors broke, so we're probably looking for a single point of failure.

Quoted from Choggard:

or should I be looking at the Switch-Matrix table? Theyre all in the same column under grn-orn Q44

I'm a rookie too-- but I think given the way they are arranged that since the rest of the parts in the column work that's ok (blind leading the blind!)

Quoted from Choggard:

Arent the sling shots and pop bumpers on the same fuse for this game? If it was a fuse then they both wouldn't work, right?

I don't know - I could not determine the fuse location. I'd triple check the fuses. Remove them from the board and test continuity with your multi meter.

This site might be useful to you: http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Yes, looks like it - but did all the pops start working at once or sequentially? If all at once it sounds very unlikely that 3 transistors broke, so we're probably looking for a single point of failure.

I'm a rookie too-- but I think given the way they are arranged that since the rest of the parts in the column work that's ok (blind leading the blind!)

I don't know - I could not determine the fuse location. I'd triple check the fuses. Remove them from the board and test continuity with your multi meter.
This site might be useful to you: http://www.pinrepair.com/begin/index.htm

Thanks, it's got to be Q44 transistor, I can't imagine it's the separate transistors . Just doesn't make sense for all three to go..

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Thanks, it's got to be Q44 transistor, I can't imagine it's the separate transistors . Just doesn't make sense for all three to go..

But doesn't that Q44 drive everything in the column, but everything else works??

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

But doesn't that Q44 drive everything in the column, but everything else works??

Correct. If the Q44 was bad, nothing in that column would work. (if the issue was in the switches, and NOT the coils themselves.)

Op needs to grab a DMM and test the transistor (if they have not already done so)

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Correct. If the Q44 was bad, nothing in that column would work. (if the issue was in the switches, and NOT the coils themselves.)
Op needs to grab a DMM and test the transistor (if they have not already done so)

There are about 5 things in that column. Everything else is working except pop bumpers, but I've run into similar problems before where a transistor was bad and some of the things worked in the column and some didn't. That was on a Sega game.. Can transistor be partially working?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

There are about 5 things in that column. Everything else is working except pop bumpers, but I've run into similar problems before where a transistor was bad and some of the things worked in the column and some didn't. That was on a Sega game.. Can transistor be partially working?

Transistors do not partially work. IF other items in the column are working, then the problem is NOT on the switch matrix, or a wire is broken somewhere. Check for continuity on the wire.

Have you tested the switches yet?

#20 10 years ago

You've completely verified that Fuse 3 (2.5 A) on the aux power board ( I think this is bumpers) works? They are fused apart from slings et al.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Transistors do not partially work. IF other items in the column are working, then the problem is NOT on the switch matrix, or a wire is broken somewhere. Check for continuity on the wire.
Have you tested the switches yet?

Okay thanks I'll check for continuity when I get home tonight..

#22 10 years ago

Wait a second -
Trying to figure out why everyone is talking about fuses when the op not only has said they checked the fuses, but actually has switch errors.

Start by removing all the balls from the game, run the switch test and write down all the numbers here.

To confirm your power to the pop bumpers are good and that your fuses for the supply for the pops are good, measure for solenoid voltage at the pop bumper coils with your meter. Let us know what that voltage is, or if you need instruction in how to do that.

GL

#23 10 years ago

^^^^exactly...

My first guess would be you have a broken wire in the switch matrix, where it enters the first of the 3 pop bumper switches. Have a look there, and tug on the wires going to each of the bumper switches--don't confuse these wires with the wires going to the bumper coils.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Wait a second -
Trying to figure out why everyone is talking about fuses when the op not only has said they checked the fuses, but actually has switch errors.
Start by removing all the balls from the game, run the switch test and write down all the numbers here.
To confirm your power to the pop bumpers are good and that your fuses for the supply for the pops are good, measure for solenoid voltage at the pop bumper coils with your meter. Let us know what that voltage is, or if you need instruction in how to do that.
GL

I did a switch test and all three errors for pop bumpers came up.. I think it was 17,19,21.. Which last night when I looked it up was the pop bumpers..

All coils are connected in pop bumpers..

#25 10 years ago

Grn/org wire has continuity from coil to board.. Can't find any loose wires on leaf switches at pop bumpers..

#26 10 years ago

I meant to say from switches to board.. Coil switch.

#27 10 years ago

so the switches associated with the pop bumpers do not activate, this is a start!

Since you said the Grn/Org wire has continuity from the board to the end of the column, I will assume/guess the switches need adjustment and/or cleaning

Go into switch edge test, and push down on the pop bumper skirt. Does it activate the switch at all?

If no, pop the game open, remove the balls, and put the pf up. Push down again on the skirt, while looking underneath. When you push down, do the switch edges make contact at all?

If no, turn off game and adjust, and clean the contacts on the switches (A old business card works great for this!)

Go back into switch edge test and re-check.

Hopefully it is just a simple adjustment/cleaning (VERY common to have this happen)

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

so the switches associated with the pop bumpers do not activate, this is a start!
Since you said the Grn/Org wire has continuity from the board to the end of the column, I will assume/guess the switches need adjustment and/or cleaning
Go into switch edge test, and push down on the pop bumper skirt. Does it activate the switch at all?
If no, pop the game open, remove the balls, and put the pf up. Push down again on the skirt, while looking underneath. When you push down, do the switch edges make contact at all?
If no, turn off game and adjust, and clean the contacts on the switches (A old business card works great for this!)
Go back into switch edge test and re-check.
Hopefully it is just a simple adjustment/cleaning (VERY common to have this happen)

Thanks, but I already tried this last night. Switches made contact when I push on them but still nothing worked..

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Thanks, but I already tried this last night. Switches made contact when I push on them but still nothing worked..

Did they show up as being closed on the switch edge test, or do you mean they made contact visually?

Have you checked for power at the coils yet? It is pretty easy. Turn the game on. Open the game up. Put your meter on DC. Touch the black lead to the ground strap, and your red lead to each lug. You should see a reading between 25-80v.

If you have power at the lugs, your next step is to test the associated transistors for EACH coil. (Q73, Q75, Q77) Put your DMM onto continuity/diode test. Black lead on the tab, red lead to the outer legs. You should see .4-.6 on the legs. If it is anything other than that, your transistor is bad. If they all test ok, check the predrivers for the transistors (Same test, black lead to center leg, red lead to outer legs.

You can also test fire each coil by grounding the center tap (very quickly) to the ground. Coil should fire.

What color is the thicker wire going to each of the coils? There will be an associated fuse for that color wire on the Aux power board. Double check the fuse, and check for voltage on that color wire the same way you checked at the coils. If you have power there, you know the issue is downstream.

#30 10 years ago

Did they show up as being closed on the switch edge test, or do you mean they made contact visually?
Have you checked for power at the coils yet? It is pretty easy. Turn the game on. Open the game up. Put your meter on DC. Touch the black lead to the ground strap, and your red lead to each lug. You should see a reading between 25-80v.
If you have power at the lugs, your next step is to test the associated transistors for EACH coil. (Q73, Q75, Q77) Put your DMM onto continuity/diode test. Black lead on the tab, red lead to the outer legs. You should see .4-.6 on the legs. If it is anything other than that, your transistor is bad. If they all test ok, check the predrivers for the transistors (Same test, black lead to center leg, red lead to outer legs.
You can also test fire each coil by grounding the center tap (very quickly) to the ground. Coil should fire.
What color is the thicker wire going to each of the coils? There will be an associated fuse for that color wire on the Aux power board. Double check the fuse, and check for voltage on that color wire the same way you checked at the coils. If you have power there, you know the issue is downstream.

Alright just tested the coils and I am only getting 2v on DC.. Something not right! The wire is red/white coming off coils and when I follow it back to the fuses it on a connector. Which fuse should I be looking at? See picture below..

I am pointing at the red/white wire to show it location on connector..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Alright found F3 fuse label red/white replace fuse with new 2.5amp and still no luck..

#32 10 years ago

Pics below are of left and right coils..

Plus fuse sheet

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#33 10 years ago

The front pop bumper coil only has one red/white wire? Is that correct? I don't see anything off by it..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 10 years ago

Did you test fire the solenoids at all? Tested for voltage at the board yet?

You need to check for voltage at the connector AND coils. That will help narrow things down.

#35 10 years ago

Okay red/white wire at board is only testing around 1-2v on DC

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

You need to check for voltage at the connector AND coils. That will help narrow things down.

How do you test fire them? During switch test I just push then with my hand and they don't work. When I push Slingshots, flippers,etc. they work fine.. Is that what you mean?

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Okay red/white wire at board is only testing around 1-2v on DC

What are the other wires measuring at? Specifically the brown and yellow wires.

#38 10 years ago

Yellow 15v DC
Brown 40v DC

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Yellow 15v DC
Brown 40v DC

I think it's orange not yellow next to the brown wire..

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

How do you test fire them? During switch test I just push then with my hand and they don't work. When I push Slingshots, flippers,etc. they work fine.. Is that what you mean?

Please note that the diagnostic modes give you a wealth of information to troubleshoot problems
Solenoid test mode will fire all the solenoids in sequence (except the flippers)
Really important to do this check, so we can break down the problem, if the pops work in solenoid test mode then its a switch or logic problem. This will essentially break the problem in half if the CPU can tell the pops to fire.
Note that Pops/Slings are "special solenoids"

#41 10 years ago

Alright I'll see if I can figure it out tonight.

Thanks

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Please note that the diagnostic modes give you a wealth of information to troubleshoot problems
Solenoid test mode will fire all the solenoids in sequence (except the flippers)
Really important to do this check, so we can break down the problem, if the pops work in solenoid test mode then its a switch or logic problem. This will essentially break the problem in half if the CPU can tell the pops to fire.
Note that Pops/Slings are "special solenoids"

Still can't figure out how to do a solenoid test.. I don't see that option on Taxi. If the voltage is right at the board or coils shouldn't that tell you something..

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Still can't figure out how to do a solenoid test.. I don't see that option on Taxi. If the voltage is right at the board or coils shouldn't that tell you something..

Page 29 in manual you linked shows one.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Okay just did a solenoid test and those pop bumpers didn't work... Any other ideas?

Thanks!

#45 10 years ago

Test the driver and pre driver transistors as I described yesterday. Should have .4-.6 on the legs.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Choggard:

Alright just tested the coils and I am only getting 2v on DC.. Something not right! The wire is red/white coming off coils and when I follow it back to the fuses it on a connector. Which fuse should I be looking at? See picture below..
I am pointing at the red/white wire to show it location on connector..

Test these transistors results below..
Q73 5.4v
Q75 5.4v
Q77 5.5v

#47 10 years ago

Edit - Ignore this post, but I left it because I hat when posts disappear...

Quoted from Choggard:

Test these transistors results below..
Q73 5.4v
Q75 5.4v
Q77 5.5v

Wrong setting on your dmm.

Quoted from dsuperbee:

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from btw75:

Wrong setting on your dmm.

What? Why would you say that? I had the DMM continuity/diode test..

#49 10 years ago

This is what I had it on..

image.jpgimage.jpg

#50 10 years ago

Hmm. Then maybe I am wrong. Looked like a voltage reading.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball

$ 109.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-three-pop-bumpers-are-out-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.