Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by slcorrado
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Gang, need to crowdsource some pinball intelligence please.

I have a TSPP and an MMR. Loved the TSPP until the MMR, now that's all we play. Had a ToM before MMR too but it played too fast for me. I prefer 'point and shoot' (or whatever I should call it).

Sold the ToM to an awesome Pinsider. On to Spider-Man, I think (never played...hope it's not ToM-style). VE would be a slam-dunk (though $ might cause pause when/after clicking 'buy') if not for apparent quality concerns and supposedly sickening call-outs. Prefer NIB, comic-book fan, and real-life images of actors feel wrong to me for some reason. Quality is the #1 deal-breaker though. Would aim for a late-build VE if I go that route, and get pre-confirmation that problems were acknowledged and fixed.

Are Black, SM, and SMVE identical in layout/rules/gameplay? Should I go black? Anything different, other than the color?

I'm also an AC/DC nut (and intrigued by the cult of Tron). Thoughts welcome...and as always, much appreciated.

#2 7 years ago

We love our acdc. If you like a shooting style game, think about a hobbit for something completely different than the sterns. As for SM, I like the Ve as I don't care to see the movie graphics over real art.

#3 7 years ago

Acdc is a really fun game but not exactly point and shoot at all..

#4 7 years ago

Not sure which particular quality issues you are concerned with. Bought SMVE nib in April. The sandman Vuk causes a ball indent. Put some additional Mylar on and kept playing. Mylar will help but fast steel ball vs play field, play field will always lose. I have one insert with a small amount of ghosting.

Compared to the virgin play field, it has dimples from playing. It's pinball. I'll keep playing and eventually I'll have a 100% dimpled re-leveled field.

That's it.

The SMVE reinforcements (sandman area, Vuk stainless vs plastic on SM, etc) seem to be doing their job.

Rules are the same as original although some of the names have changed.

For me always regretted not buying a production run original spidey when I had the chance. Happy with my machine. For me it's a keeper.

I've written this before- look for a SM modded if you are worried and can inspect it first. But compared to the the price delta of a SMVE, and your time involved in tracking down a SM for sale, you see it's relatively small premium if you place value on having a new machine and the time involved in searching.

It's a mechanical machine, things are going to wear. Yes, it can be disappointing if there are perceived flaws when buying new. You can also try to go to a show and try to buy a NIB demo machine used for the show. That way you can inspect it and get a low play "new" machine.

Good luck. You'll enjoy either the SM or SMVE.

AC/DC is also fun. I'd like to have one someday but my choice would still be for a SM version first

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Gang, need to crowdsource some pinball intelligence please.
I have a TSPP and an MMR. Loved the TSPP until the MMR, now that's all we play. Had a ToM before MMR too but it played too fast for me. I prefer 'point and shoot' (or whatever I should call it).
Sold the ToM to an awesome Pinsider. On to Spider-Man, I think (never played...hope it's not ToM-style). VE would be a slam-dunk (though $ might cause pause when/after clicking 'buy') if not for apparent quality concerns and supposedly sickening call-outs. Prefer NIB, comic-book fan, and real-life images of actors feel wrong to me for some reason. Quality is the #1 deal-breaker though. Would aim for a late-build VE if I go that route, and get pre-confirmation that problems were acknowledged and fixed.
Are Black, SM, and SMVE identical in layout/rules/gameplay? Should I go black? Anything different, other than the color?
I'm also an AC/DC nut (and intrigued by the cult of Tron). Thoughts welcome...and as always, much appreciated.

Just realized you're in sterling. I'm down there often at my friends to play his pins. If you get up to the Baltimore area, you can come look at my SMVE if you want to see a machine that is a couple of months old.

#6 7 years ago

Don't Go black, I heard there is no going back.

Buy a TRON

#7 7 years ago

If you're unsure about a Spider-Man, then I'd suggest buying a nice original one. Then if you don't like it you can sell it for what you paid for it.
If you buy a SMVE and don't like it you are going to lose money.

Spider-Man is a great game by the way. I'm loving mine and have just put a ColorDMD in it.

#8 7 years ago

AC DC premium for a rock experience, and more user controlled game experience.
From, for an addictive speed demon
Game.
SM, any version, for a well rounded
game for everyone, and kinda in the middle, with enough of all things to make
It a top game in the `absolute fun` category.

#9 7 years ago

Acdc = one of the fastest pins alive! ... so you probably won't like it.

If you like Trap n shoot style games then go for TWD, Metallica or LOTR.

As for SM; it's a great flow style game but not too fast. It does have a lot of aim and shoot qualities about the layout and code. This would be a great choice.

#10 7 years ago

I'm fortunate enough to own ToM, Metallica Pro, ACDC Pro, and Sopranos. Ranking by speed: Met, ACDC, Sopranos then ToM. SM is a good choice if you don't want a super fast game with good shots. Not a big fan of TWD but I haven't played since release. Love SM VE.

I'd check out LOTR. It's very deep with lots of shots. A friend of mine has similar tastes and like LOTR the best.

I'd go somewhere that has the machines you're considering and play them. If it costs a couple of hundred and a road trip, it's worth it to me.

#11 7 years ago

Thanks everybody.

Zene, might take you up on that. I'm actually in Aldie, SW of Sterling...swing by as well if ever in area.

So despite Stoptap's excellent point and logic, I'm sold on VE. Saw a YouTube that pointed out the Cliffys and heard the call-outs...they sounded comic-bookish to me. Bonus!

Also thinking to take AC/DC off list, though it makes me sad to fall short in an otherwise lifelong allegiance.

Tron is not 'if'...it's 'when'.

But I'll be dad-gummed if another machine didn't pop up to challenge. Went to buy and right alongside was Metallica Monsters at the same price. Focus in play I've seen was solely on Sparky. Must be more to it or wouldn't rate so well. Will YouTube that soon and before pulling trigger.

Love the idea to find and play...apparently nothing in VA (per the Pinside map) but hope to have a chance on travel to Chicago this week. Between 'no time' and 'no patience' (ie, I want that open spot filled now), I tend to live impulse-to-impulse.

Thanks again. You guys make Pinside awesome.

#12 7 years ago

Regarding LOTR and Hobbit...read the books so many times in my youth I can basically recite them. Read the Silmarillion to the same extent...perhaps the only person in history to get past first 80 pages. Read Christopher Tolkien's books based on his father's notes. I can tell you how the world ultimately ends, who ends it, and why. If someone had told me in my youth that 1) they'd make awesome movies (which I always intended to do, in my fandom/nerdness) and 2) I'd have a chance to buy related pinball machines, I would've had to stay seated for weeks.

Likely will never own LOTR or Hobbit. Such is my distaste for actors on pinball machines.

#13 7 years ago

Interesting observations slcorrado.

TSSP - fun but nut my style
TOM - not my style
MMr - MM owner here and love it.

I've owned SM, ACDC Prem and Tron LE. All are gone now. Of those, only Tron will stay gone. I'll get ACDC back one day. It's got a great combo of music and play. Original SM is my favorite. I love the JK Simmons callouts. Tron is fine but I can't listen to daft punk for long. I'm clearly in the minority on Tron.

#14 7 years ago

Take it off the list? If you are a acdc fan and are an above avg. player than get one. It kicks some serious ass!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Take it off the list? If you are a acdc fan and are an above avg. player than get one. It kicks some serious ass!

I agree with this. Acdc is probably the best music integrated pin alive! It is fast and difficult though. and ironically, my wife and guests miss this pin the most out of all the pins I've ever had. So even though it's a fast and difficult game, guests and non pinheads still enjoy it.

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree with this. Acdc is probably the best music integrated pin alive! It is fast and difficult though. and ironically, my wife and guests miss this pin the most out of all the pins I've ever had. So even though it's a fast and difficult game, guests and non pinheads still enjoy it.

Yeah. Before I bought my ACDC pinsider Rai explained to me that ACDC is like 12 mini games within one pin. Each song puts you in one of those games. ACDC did not click for me off the bat and does not with a bunch of folks, but when it does - off the charts WOW! If you like or love the band like I do it will be a cornerstone of your collection.

Simple rules for me are to pick a song and rotate the songs so you did not get broken record play, hit the targets to complete the challenge of the song to light up the playfield and start to build the jackpots, don't forget to hit that bell to get 2x and 3x scoring especially before you start a multiball, hit the bell with the cannon shot also if the jackpots are smaller to achieve or get close to 2x scoring for a gun shot also, flip away at multiball and once that ball loads in the cannon you better make that jackpot shot and better not have forgot about the bell for multipliers! Then Boom 20 million, 30 Million+ jackpots get your blood pumping! Fist pump when you start multi ball and yell when you get a Jackpot also like I do for fun.

So don't rule out ACDC.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from slcorrado:

Thanks everybody.
Zene, might take you up on that. I'm actually in Aldie, SW of Sterling...swing by as well if ever in area.
So despite Stoptap's excellent point and logic, I'm sold on VE. Saw a YouTube that pointed out the Cliffys and heard the call-outs...they sounded comic-bookish to me. Bonus!
Also thinking to take AC/DC off list, though it makes me sad to fall short in an otherwise lifelong allegiance.
Tron is not 'if'...it's 'when'.
But I'll be dad-gummed if another machine didn't pop up to challenge. Went to buy and right alongside was Metallica Monsters at the same price. Focus in play I've seen was solely on Sparky. Must be more to it or wouldn't rate so well. Will YouTube that soon and before pulling trigger.
Love the idea to find and play...apparently nothing in VA (per the Pinside map) but hope to have a chance on travel to Chicago this week. Between 'no time' and 'no patience' (ie, I want that open spot filled now), I tend to live impulse-to-impulse.
Thanks again. You guys make Pinside awesome.

Since when did collecting pinballs have anything to do with logic ?

#18 7 years ago

If you go SM VE, you will need to wait until August to get one...

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Don't Go black, I heard there is no going back.
Buy a TRON

Tron sucks. Original SM is the right choice here.

#20 7 years ago

We have 2 SMVE's NIB is stock. Great game. ACDC is a great pin too. I prefer Metallica over ACDC. If I had to choose SMVE or ACDC, Id go SMVE. But in the end its your choice. Hard to pick a pin without playing it first. But The SMVE seems to fit you more.

#21 7 years ago

OK, OK. Enough with the begging!

So...there were multiple Gods residing in Valinor (ie, heaven, for elves only, though also two hobbits and a dwarf), which is where ships sail when they leave Middle-Earth. The one big God (who created all others and the world) didn't hang in Valinor. At the very beginning he made two gods stronger than the others: Manwe and Morgoth. Then he made elves. One of the first was Feanor, Galadriel's dad. He made some cool jewels (the Silmarils). Morgoth coveted/stole them, killed Feanor, and enlisted the aid of a giant spider (Ungoliant, Shelob's ancestor) to escape the sight of the Gods and flee to Middle Earth. Galadriel and her brothers vowed to follow him to the edges and retrieve the Silmarils.

Most of her brothers died in the quest, typically either fighting Morgoth or his lieutenant Sauron. Finally the Valinor Gods got tired of Morgoth's schtick, led an army to Middle-Earth, and captured him. He was banished to the Phantom Zone. Sauron...and some Balrogs...escaped. The Gods tell Galadriel they're steamed she disavowed Valinor in her pursuit of Morgoth, and banish her to Middle-Earth. Much...much...later she realizes when she rejects Frodo's offer of the ring that she is forgiven and can pass into the West (ie, sail to Valinor).

Manwe had lesser Gods serving him. One was Olorin...aka Gandalf. When Sauron popped up and started agitating in Middle-Earth again, Manwe sent Gandalf and other wizards to counter. You might've noticed that whenever Gandalf got into trouble, Manwe's prize giant eagles bailed him out.

Tolkien's material could rival Marvel's. Hobbit and LOTR is but a teensy slice. Also of interest is how Sauron deviously led Aragorn's people/ancestors to destroy themselves. Anyway, everybody dies...even Arwen freaks out when it's her turn, as her dad predicted (Elrond wisely sailed to Valinor). Centuries/Ages pass, and Manwe's son, Fionwe, has a (likely) hot girlfriend. Morgoth either escapes the Phantom Zone or is released. He somehow kills Fionwe's girlfriend, and Fionwe, in his rage battling Morgoth, destroys the world.

Curtain drop. I wipe a tear and, now many years into my Tolkien study (and older than I care to admit), figure kissing girls isn't so yucky after all. I begin my pursuit and slightly-less-epic adventures. I learn that suppressing my Tolkien affinity increases my chances significantly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.50
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rapid City, SD
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-things-spideyand-a-sprinkle-of-acdc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.