Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mot
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

turtle starfish.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gemini.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So I was playing Attack From Mars in Pinball Arcade just a little while ago, trying to clear the last wizard goal I needed by collecting the 1,000,000,000 Hurry Up Bonus (which I finally got!), but afterwards when going for Martian Multiball I was down to just one Martian left, the one right by the scoop, and I ended up hitting the scoop, to which the Martian laughs and shouts "MISSED ME!" XD

That actually really made me laugh 'cause being a video game programmer/designer myself I was thinking in the back of my mind, "Someone realized that exact circumstance could happen and someone intentionally programmed the game to play a sound cue when it does!" There's even the "Dirty Pool" award in the same game if you trap a ball behind the force field and then knock that trapped ball up into the hole at the back.

Seriously, these little extra details buried deep in the code are really what separates the awesome games from the average games. You've got things like the Crossover Bonus in Taxi, "You Missed Everything" in Terminator 2, Black Knight 2000 laughing at you if you activate magnasave yet lose the ball anyways, Breakout and Poker in Star Trek TNG, Lyman's Lament in Monster Bash...

These kinds of things intrigue me and because I'm still fairly new to real pinball and still mostly confined to playing emulated tables on the computer save for monthly league nights, I'm curious what other extra little details are hiding away in all the other pinball tables out there and if anyone wants to share their thoughts on them or details about the first time they discovered something on their own without knowing about it ahead of time! ; )

#15 9 years ago

Oh yeah! Just remembered the White Water line: "Get the extra ball! ...ya wiener!" XD

Have only ever heard it once. : B

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from Finrod:

I've never had this happen myself to confirm it, but I recall hearing a story about someone playing Twilight Zone, and when they finished LITZ the powerball was in the ball lock. He kept on playing, and later the powerball was kicked out of the lock and the game started Powerball Mania even though it had never seen the powerball at either of the two sensors: it had seen the other 5 and deduced the 6th ball in the lock was the powerball.

I'm not sure how but it seems TZ is VERY good at tracking the powerball vs. the regular balls. At my last league night, after all the scoring play was done and we were just having fun on random machines, I walked over to a TZ game in progress and noticed the powerball was being cycled through the trough amongst the people playing as no one was having any luck getting it back where it's supposed to go, and each time it came into the shooter lane the game knew the powerball was there and acted accordingly.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gemini.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-the-little-hidden-things-which-make-a-game-awesome?tu=Gemini and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.