(Topic ID: 299310)

All Praise be to the Yoppsicle Socket-Free LEDs!

By Tsskinne

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
53FBE438-18B5-4089-97C9-7DAC80B257BD (resized).jpeg
EA734970-8614-4583-91B8-3A9DA44D82DB (resized).jpeg
5D7AAF78-AD15-4566-BFA7-83DC804BDF03 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20221126_054205447 (resized).jpg
IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 13.49.36 (resized).png
D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220905_105733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220905_105233 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220904_021920522 (resized).jpg
46437338-154D-4638-8082-BF6C35AF382D.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 2 years ago

I’m on pi side if anyone wants to hit me up here. Or my email is [email protected]

#11 2 years ago

For a little more context, here is a short video comparison of the sticks vs. sockets and non-ghosting bulbs side by side. I did only the "PARAGON" letters here and shot video above and below.

#12 2 years ago

Also just to let everyone know, I'm currently out of cool white sticks. I just got an email that my next batch should be here on 9/1. I've sold about half of my warm whites that I got in earlier this week but I should be able to satisfy a fair number of orders before I'm out of those as well. I've got other colors and configurations (with the resistor pre-installed so you can use original BALLY boards right out of the box) in the works. I'll keep y'all posted.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Is there any technical info on these? Like which systems of games are these good for, what's the deal with the optional resistor, how are these different from Pinball Life's cool white PCBs, etc. I see there's a mailbag video on Yopp's facebook, but I spend a lot of the day on various calls and can more easily digest text while I "multitask."

Thanks for the questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I designed these with my old Bally and Stern machines in mind because I was tired of dealing with bad sockets, so they are best suited for that purpose. I purchase mostly alltek lamp driver boards for my machines, so the simple LED circuit in these works right out of the box with those boards. But I'm also aware that some like to use the original lamp driver boards which would need some added resistance. I added a few through hole spots in parallel so the hobbyist could modify them however they saw fit. On the Pinball Life PCB's, I was only made aware of them a couple days ago and I don't know that these are much different. Unfortunately I'll never have the buying/selling power of an outfit like that, so to compete with this board I'll have to depend on trying to make these boards the best and most flexible that I can (I've got other ideas that I'm working on for these boards) and try to be good at customer service. Answering any questions and helping the hobbyist is what I will strive for. Thanks!

#39 2 years ago

Sometimes you have to admit when you’ve been caught flat footed. I’m there. The orders have been overwhelming today and I’ve lost count of what I have remaining. For now I’m going to get the orders I have packaged up then I’ll do a count of what I have left. I’m scared of taking more orders than I have on hand. Until I get that done I don’t want to take anymore orders. I’ll post what I have remaining in stock first thing in the AM.

Edit: and a big thanks to the community for giving them a try and to Tommy for trying them and sharing the results.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Will be keeping my eyes out for the resistor installed warm whites for my Dolly.

This is coming. Plus every color I can muster.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I hope I got my order in before the shut-off deadline.

Haha, there was no hope for you until next week anyway Mr. Cool.

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Damn a guy goes and has a job interview and then plays an hour long game on avengers and he comes back to 20+ posts. Glad to see others like the idea as well, Yopp is basically a genius, or at least a good dude. I should have ordered more before I shared their amazingness!

I'll settle for "good dude." I saw a need (in my own machines) and simply pondered a possible solution for it. I have no desire to attempt to live up to the "genius" moniker but thanks for the kind words, and the pinball deals we've made. You've secured a few of my most sought after pins and I appreciate it.

#62 2 years ago

O.k. some updates:
1. I'm glad I stopped taking orders last night. I'm tapped out of everything I got in but I got lucky and didn't oversell..
2. I will have 1500 cool white sticks in next week.

Quoted from desertT1:

dyopp21 you could set up a store here on Pinside.

3. I will work on this TODAY! Great idea.
4. I'm working on V3 of the new sticks which will include the extra resistor so they should work with both old and new lamp driver boards right out of the box. They will also feature and oblong mounting hole for a little more flexibility in positioning. They will still include a through hole spot for you modders. These also should work for classic Williams machines (Firepower, ETC)
5. COLORS. All of 'em. In the works.

I've got new stock of the WW on order. A larger order this time. I'll let everyone know when I've got the store set up and when I have the new stock in.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and patience.

Yopp

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Now if he could only make Sunlight like Comet.

I'll look into this. This is cooler than warm white but not quite "cool white" correct?

#70 2 years ago

To everyone that ordered yesterday, they are all in the mail and on their way.

Edit: with the exception of items sent outside the US I sent them all priority mail. If you haven't seen something by midweek next week and you ordered and paid, please contact me so we can be sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good, lay a couple on me. I emailed but never got a response.

I'm sorry I missed your email! In the rush I forgot to check it. I saw some emails this evening and responded. Hope I got to yours.

Edit: Just went through my emails again and not sure I see one from you. Did you send it to [email protected]?

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:Now if he could only make Sunlight like Comet.

This got me to thinking. I have some sunlight bulbs here and decided to compare because I went on the cooler side of the warm spectrum- I can’t tell much difference between sunlight and my bulb if any at all. I dropped the voltage down and took a pic of my bulb with it not at the “blinding” level and took a pic. Also grabbed a pic of a sunlight bulb. You can see them below-
5845582B-8763-4E48-A324-495F630B8D07 (resized).jpeg5845582B-8763-4E48-A324-495F630B8D07 (resized).jpeg
9598BA76-C6FA-4E90-BB7E-8D2B7C63990B (resized).jpeg9598BA76-C6FA-4E90-BB7E-8D2B7C63990B (resized).jpeg

I doubt I’ll make one warmer than this. Still a little bit warm but plenty of brightness. Anyone else that installs one of my warms next to a sunlight can possibly confirm if this is correct or my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Yopp

#79 2 years ago

cool-white-yoppsicle (resized).pngcool-white-yoppsicle (resized).png
For you restoration folks that prefer the chilly lights in your projects, we got a batch of cool white sticks in yesterday and shipped out all the orders for customers who were waiting on them (If I missed you and didn't get in contact, my apologies! I've held a couple hundred back just in case. Get in touch with me again. I've got messages in about 5 different places). We have about 900 left for anyone else who may want some. Shoot me a message if you are interested in some and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks!
Note: these are designed to be installed under playfield inserts to replace both socket and bulb in one install. They are not well suited for GI nor backbox illumination.
I'll be working on setting up a pinside store as we are able to get larger numbers of stock in. Right now they are limiting me on what I can order because I'm making small changes to the boards which keeps them in the "prototype" status. This is good, as I wouldn't want to be sitting on thousands of bulbs that didn't work correctly.

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

I received my order of warm whites yesterday and cant say enough good things about these lights, easy to install and looks amazing! My only regret is I only ordered 100 and dont have enough to do all my Ballys right now.

Regret not! I've got WW on the way with a new design. Check it out:
YSv31 (resized).pngYSv31 (resized).png
ysv32 (resized).pngysv32 (resized).png
The mounting hole has been redesigned to accommodate those tight spots. The landing pad for the braided wire has been expanded. The resistor for original Bally boards has been added. The price remains the same.

These are on the make now (without the screen print for polarity though, that'll be the next order)

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from chris_p:

I'm questioning that polarity - is it reversed?

I don't think so. Positive is the braided wire. Negative is the control wire.

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I'd like to order 100 WWs with resistor. Do I just email you?

Yes, just shoot me a message on here and I'll add you to the wait list for the next order of WW. Thanks!

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I don't think so. Positive is the braided wire. Negative is the control wire.

The good news is if you managed to connect one in reverse (in say a Firepower where there is no braided wire) it shouldn't do any damage. If you reverse polarity on the LED it will still act as a diode, so it'll just block the flow of electrons. Simply detach the wires and swap 'em.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Make them all with resistors, and mark the boards "B/S" and "W/G". Wiring to B/S is for Bally/Stern (which put the resistor in circuit). W/G is Williams/Gottlieb (which bypasses the resistor).

I'm not sure about the RBG (for this project at least), but I like the two circuit idea for sure. I guess my question would be, with this bit of resistance (470 ohm), would a Williams lamp driver have issues with it? Also, how many people feel the need to replace Williams sockets? Mine have been pretty rock solid even in my old late 70's machines.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have always referred to my six million dollar man as a bulb whore or the six million socket man.
I have owned it 14 years and have never turned it on once and said, " wow all the bulbs are on!"
I swear i have changed all the sockets twice.
I will be ordering these.

Funny you should mention SMDM. It was the machine that pushed me over the edge. I created the prototype of this bulb a year and a half ago using actual popsicle sticks (That's where "Yoppsicle" comes from) Here's some video of the final with all popsicle sticks.

Those popsicle sticks are STILL in my SMDM at a public location and not a one of them has failed.

#100 2 years ago

Better jump on it before someone else does! The idea is out there now, someone's gonna steal it.

Actually I think it may already exist in one of the home brew kits? I’ll look into it.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly? Why re-invent it? Technically, it does exist. Just need to use a .100" header insted of soldering the wires directly -
https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-insert-led-pcb-assembly.html

And there it is. I knew I had seen either this or something like it in one of the DIY platforms. Thanks for the link.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just found our about these. I sent you a PM. I need 8 of them in Cool White.

Got it and responded. Thanks.

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I'll take 150 ww if you have them.
Jerry

Hey Jerry thanks for the interest! I just got my new stock of the new version with the added resistor for use with the original boards. I want to finish installing them in my Power Play (original board) to make sure all is well tonight. Then I will offer them up tomorrow. I will add you to the list of people to reach out to if you'd like me to.

Yopp

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Will the ones with built-in resistors still work with games with the modified-for-led lamp boards or replacement lamp boards?
I've got an LED'ed Paragon with a resistor-modified lamp board so I wouldn't need the ones with a built-in resistor. But a lot of my repair calls are for Ballys with original lamp boards. So it'd be nice to have a stock on hand of the resistor ones. And if they're safe to use for both types of games, that would be ideal.

Yes. They will work just fine even with the resistor in place.

#113 2 years ago

Warm White and Cool White with the resistor for original boards now in stock. Some video below covering the new sticks as well as a new product in development.

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:I see meteor behind you, how about LED strips to replace the rocket lamps/top meteor light lamps? (I know about the twist replacements already)
That way all the LEDs would be consistent throughout the machine.

Tommy is correct. It's something I'm also working on (I have an idea for three main boards to cover much of that games under PF lighting). Unfortunately ATM I've been busy filling orders and putting the finishing touches on a few other Pin products and overwhelmed at the hospital where I work as well. I need more hours in the day.

#119 2 years ago

Now we know where his prototypes came from.

Haha. I wish! It's all strictly radiology systems for me at work. No access to anything that helps me in the pinball world.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Which of the colors looks like comet sunlight with resisters?
I need enough to do 2 1978 playboys and a silverball mania?
How many should I get? 200?

My warm white leans Sunlight. I don't like them overly yellow. The LED's I use are right at the 3000K range and that makes them a lot crisper without spilling into fluorescent territory.
For reference look at this one I just completed:
BCEF141A-3138-40FB-BBE2-C7D703DD91BF (resized).jpegBCEF141A-3138-40FB-BBE2-C7D703DD91BF (resized).jpeg
All of the inserts are Yoppsicle Omnis (with the extra resistor already installed) warm white. The lower half of the GI is sunlight and the upper half is classic warm white. I did this for comparison of the Yoppsicles with the different versions “warm” white.
And I’d say 200 should be about enough to get you done.

Yopp

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

That looks perfect!
200 warm white is very doable.

Thanks, and just to let you know after fulfilling orders today I'm down to 250 Warm White remaining. I've ordered more but it will probably be at least a week before they arrive.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I just finished doing my Dragonfist - looks great. Fun soldering in the 470 ohm resistors and luckily I stuffed them all and thought about it and realized the resistor needed to be on the opposite side of the board as the LED before I soldered even one.... but I had to pull out all 100 resistors and flip. Oh well.
I think this is a nominee for "product of the year" - first time my fist has ever had all its lamps working 100%.
This is after endless frustrations with replacing sockets! Even replaced sockets there still were lamps that weren't reliable. The elimination of the socket is the genius part on this product.

I’m glad they worked well for you! And now with the Omnis no more stuffing resistors at all. Keep me posted if there are any issues with them at all and thanks again for giving them a shot.

#126 2 years ago

PS- is there really such a thing as “product of the year?”

#132 2 years ago

O.k. I had a couple more orders this evening and I'm out of stock of the Warm White Omnis again. I do have plenty of the Cool Whites (waiting for Tommy's gif for that) available. I've already got more WW on order. Stay tuned.

Yopp

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

That's what the newer revision has.... I just got the pre-revision.
The only suggestion I would have is make the landing area larger for the common wire - just to get it away from the screw head. I also sometimes use the tab which negates worrying about that and uses the screw to pass the common voltage.
I had found one swapped wire and one I forgot to connect when I did it, easy as cake to pull the playfield up, desolder and swap. The standalone pad takes solder really well.

I like the way y'all think! On the version that is in production now, we narrowed the slot to make the landing pad wider down each side and extended the pad as far as we could. I'm a medical informatics guy in real life, so I'm still learning the PCB/electronics thing. I know just enough to be dangerous. The other change on this version is the addition of the "aiming reticle" on the back to help align with the insert. I really appreciate all the feedback the end users have given me!
yv3 (resized).PNGyv3 (resized).PNG

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

mmmmm cool white!

I really should've called these "Omni- Vanilla Ice Edition" in your honor.

#140 2 years ago

Small update for those that are following this thread.
1. I had a customer that installed a few of these in an 8 Ball Champ (6803) to see how they would act. They don't work (they flicker or stay on, etc). So, heads up if you are thinking of trying them on any of the machines with the 6803. Not recommended.

2. Rev 3 of the Omni sticks in Warm White is on it's way and is due to arrive on the 27th of sept. For the rev 3 I've added the "aiming reticle" in the screen printing opposite the LED to make it easier to line up with the insert, as well as making the mounting slot just a touch more narrow for a more secure screw mount and a little more lateral landing pads for soldering. The additional resistor, etc. from Rev 2 all remained unchanged.

I've already got a good sized waitlist going, so if you are wanting some warm whites in this incoming batch you may want to shoot me a pm so I can get you added to the list. I still have plenty of the cool in stock of both rev 1 (through holes) and rev 2 (additional resistor) for anyone who needs them.

Thanks,
Yopp

1 week later
#141 2 years ago

I received the new Revision 3 boards and have fulfilled the orders for those that were on the wait list. These have several small updates (see my post previous to this one). After all the backorders were filled I have 800 sticks in warm white remaining if anyone would like to order. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP
Thanks again for the overwhelming response from the community.

Omnis-rev3 (resized).pngOmnis-rev3 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#151 2 years ago

Thanks to everyone sharing pics of your installations. I continue to be humbled by everyone's support of the product.
Also some good news, I just got 4000 warm white Omni (rev 3) that I can start shipping out on Tuesday for anyone who would like to try them. My wife and I are headed out of town tomorrow to see our son perform in a band concert at University of Central Arkansas, but will be returning Monday evening (10/18) I can get orders shipped out first thing Tuesday. Also to those that are already on the wait list, I haven't forgotten about you. I'll be reaching out to you via PM as well.

Thanks,
Yopp

PS. Remember that if you have any questions at all concerning installation or any other issue with the sticks, don't hesitate to reach out to me via PM or email directly ([email protected]). Even if it takes getting on the phone to get you squared away I don't mind at all.

1 week later
#154 2 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Sent ya an email
This is awesome!

Just saw your email and responded. Thanks. (Sorry it took me a minute, I don't check that email as often as I should)
Yopp

#156 2 years ago

Got mine in the mail the other day. Good quality build! Seller had very good communication as well.
Now, if the seller would just make them in selectable RGB depending on which solder pads you used, his sales would go through the roof!

Thanks for the feedback. I've been working on a stick that will work correctly with classic Williams machines (Firepower, Blackout etc). I want to have an offering that doesn't require having the additional diode and also doesn't ghost. I've got my first prototype boards for that in the works just waiting on them to arrive so I can test them.
I'll look at your RGB idea. So just three simple pads at the control end for R,G and B? (And I suppose you could jumper them if you wanted to make other colors or jumper all three if you wanted a sort of pseudo "white.")

#158 2 years ago

You got it! THen you'd only have to stock a single part number. Customer can configure it for whatever color they want at the time of installation.

I'd say this is "partially" correct. I think for those that want colored LED sticks it would be a single part, but for warm/cool white they wouldn't be good for that use. Would still need those.

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Curious what is causing the issues with Williams games? I never even needed to do anything with those except put LEDs in. Never even needed non ghosting.

I think it has to do with the matrix. When I removed the original socket from Blackout of course the diode came out with it. When I put the new LED in one or two spots it worked fine (in thinking the led is itself a diode, i thought I was gonna be o.k.) When I ran with that and put all the rest of them in I had ghosting issues. So at that point I went back and added new diodes back in the circuits soldered directly to the negative side to the sticks. It greatly lessened the ghosting but some of it is still occurring. So I got with someone smarter than me and he had a redesign idea that I'm hoping works for the Williams lighting matrix. Now having said all that, I may have made some other mistake in wiring these up that I haven't found yet. I've checked and rechecked so if I did, I just can't find the mistake. I just want a stick that works without a lot of hassle. So I'm willing to try a few things out and see if I can get this right and easy for the end user.

3 weeks later
#170 2 years ago

I wanted to jump on and apologize that I haven’t been available to answer questions. The Omni was created for early Bally Stern controlled lamps, under inserts. People have found interesting other uses for them, but I don’t want to promise anything beyond what they were designed for. I hope to have more things coming, and I plan to add cool white to my biz page ASAP.

In “off topic” (but related) news, I’ve been trying to open a pinball bar for a couple years with no luck, but we finally managed to secure a property and I got my first pin in tonight and we just built a copy of my “pinball bar” that I had in my previous home, for the player’s area. Each will feature two sequenced playfields (and I even got to use the Yoppsicles in them which is great because they are low profile). While I’m excited this work is going to slow down any R and D that I would like to continue working on. But once things get settled I hope to get back at it.

Here’s a few pics of the space as it sits tonight. New bar next to original bar. New electrical circuits going in for the forthcoming bank of pins in the am!
FFE70E88-9632-4D54-A42F-7F3647E99B85 (resized).jpegFFE70E88-9632-4D54-A42F-7F3647E99B85 (resized).jpegDF9AA323-C0C1-4A2B-92F0-6015B6F980C5 (resized).jpegDF9AA323-C0C1-4A2B-92F0-6015B6F980C5 (resized).jpeg610919E0-B395-4C00-8E8B-A0CA4EEBD183 (resized).jpeg610919E0-B395-4C00-8E8B-A0CA4EEBD183 (resized).jpeg34D6E641-2868-483A-B303-AB271B176559 (resized).jpeg34D6E641-2868-483A-B303-AB271B176559 (resized).jpeg
53A9316C-2A81-4835-A72B-3B0E2B20E327 (resized).jpeg53A9316C-2A81-4835-A72B-3B0E2B20E327 (resized).jpeg

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Your bar is looking great! I guess the next step is sending you our used playfields in exchange for Yoppsicles!

I’m sure you say that was in jest but I actually need some! It’s too bad they are so expensive to ship.

This was last night, getting the 2nd player bar painted. For most of the night it was just me and the work, lone wolf style. And some good tunes of course.60C3D245-E7E3-4808-B0EE-CD5A42D54B5A (resized).jpeg60C3D245-E7E3-4808-B0EE-CD5A42D54B5A (resized).jpeg

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

I dig it all. I need the cool whites for my Flight 2000 and your pinball bar business looks super cool.

Thanks! The cools are in stock and now available here on Pinside marketplace:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle/05576-yoppsicle-led-stick-v3-panel-of-50-cool-white

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Cool Yopps should be buried with ET 2600 cartridges.
Now look at this nice even warm distribution. Delicious. [quoted image]

Wow that playfield looks nice.

1 week later
#187 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Getting bored, let's take it up a notch bam[quoted image]

Nice! You got the OG sticks!

#191 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

So with the resistors being present on these, are they still ok to use with an Alltek/Weebly board or the Seigecraft adaptors? Will I need to knock off the SMD resistors? I’m asking since backbox controlled lamps and some others will still have sockets.

They will work fine with the new boards. No need to knock off the added resistor.

#192 2 years ago

Update on the bar (Flip Side). We had our first private event this past weekend. A Christmas party for a Radiologist group. I also ran a tournament to crown the “Most Rad Radiologist Pinballer in Memphis.” When I announced it and asked for people to sign up no one left their chair. The head Radiologist of the group came over and told me, “Put them all in. Don’t ask, just do it…” I did. They all begrudgingly posted up for for their first match, not looking happy about it. By round 2 they were all laughing like schoolgirls and having a blast. By the final rounds they were out for blood.

When the final two played Capt. Fantastic for the championship, everyone else was glued to that gallery monitor.

After that the wine flowed and I was asked a million questions about pinball restoration work. Also had a radiologist ask if we would be willing to host some corporate events there and put on a similar tournament because he had some people he’d like to talk to about it. Ummm, yes please!

It was a top night!

PS. The most Rad Rad Pinballer in Memphis is Dr. Fred Wittber. Dude can hold his own. Said he was coming back for our Thursday night tournaments.

5F95DDA2-B0CD-4C2F-9082-68A210A4C508 (resized).jpeg5F95DDA2-B0CD-4C2F-9082-68A210A4C508 (resized).jpegBAAB7988-CED5-409A-B382-6DB356420B40 (resized).jpegBAAB7988-CED5-409A-B382-6DB356420B40 (resized).jpegB412FD9F-595F-4696-B3C3-60CC974A491F (resized).jpegB412FD9F-595F-4696-B3C3-60CC974A491F (resized).jpeg5CAF4D9D-7698-4940-9565-0B518A6EA7BE (resized).jpeg5CAF4D9D-7698-4940-9565-0B518A6EA7BE (resized).jpeg36E245AA-7014-498F-9935-8B519C16FFE0 (resized).jpeg36E245AA-7014-498F-9935-8B519C16FFE0 (resized).jpeg5162B367-77BE-4608-9B21-DECE77B0B56E (resized).jpeg5162B367-77BE-4608-9B21-DECE77B0B56E (resized).jpeg

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Looks great on a Harlem Globetrotters On Tour using the warm whites.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is that a new playfield? Y'all are doing some beautiful work regardless of the Yoppsicles.

#196 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Ran into these today while searching on Pinball Life. Someone is already making copies?
https://www.pinballlife.com/classic-bally-stern-insert-led-pcb.html

This doesn't surprise me. It's a free market and while I can't compete with someone the size of pinball life, I can provide personalized customer service and usually I ship out within one day of an order coming in (often on the same day). I figure either that keeps my little business alive, or it doesn't but at least I gave it shot (and I'll have plenty of yoppsicles left over for my own collection of Bally/Sterns).

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I’ll keep buying from you. You are the one that put these in play and refined them as feedback came in. That counts for something to me.

I appreciate the support! I've been working on one that will work in a matrix setup out of the box so I can offer more than just the Bally/Stern ones. Having a tough time cracking that nut. I tried my originals in a Blackout with an additional diode. It worked for a single stick here and there, but once I started adding them throughout I ended up with plenty ghosting. I'm not an electronics expert so I've asked for some assistance on the circuitry because I REALLY want a stick for my Blackout, Firepower, Space Shuttle, Flash, High Speed, Sorcerer etc. And of course to offer to the community.

1 week later
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Mr. Yopp! Do these also work for controlled lights in the back box, like to illuminate Game Over and Tilt?

Will they? Yes. But they aren’t will suited for it since they don’t have any way to diffuse the light on the front face of the backboard.

#204 2 years ago

I can answer this.
Yes, but you'll need to mount them to the face of the backboard, unless you want a more pin-point light pattern since it has to shine through the hole left by removing the existing socket.

"Light finds a way."

3 weeks later
#207 2 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Looks great and I just ordered a bunch for a couple of Bally projects I'm working on. ONe question: Will these work in AC applications for star rollovers that are illuminated via the GI circuit?

Yes. You may get some 60HZ strobing but since it's under the rollover I doubt it will be that noticeable. I've used them under star rollovers but I believe in every case it was a controlled lamp. Be advised you may have to extend the wire some and create a new mounting hole to get it situated properly I know at least one person used two Yoppsicles under each rollover, one on each side of the switch.

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I see that Marco is carrying your boards now. Very cool!

Thanks. They picked them up a couple months ago. Excited they are showing an install of them on their tech show this evening so people can see how easy they are to install. Appreciate that they reached out to me to carry them.

1 week later
#213 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

So I'm converting a client's Harlem Globetrotters to LEDs, and these are awesome! So user friendly. I'm wondering if there is a solution to prevent strobing for GI applications? I've used LEDs in GI for other games and didn't notice the strobing that I see. Is it a Bally thing?

LED bulbs are AC rectified which eliminates the strobing. Yoppsicles are meant to plugged into a DC circuit and aren't made for GI I'm afraid.

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

How have I not seen these before! I haven't read the entire thread, but do they require anything special in something like Alien Star, Ali or Super Orbit, or can they just be soldered in?

Ali, yes it will work and they don't require anything special, not even an LED driver board. Alien Star and Super Orbit are Gottlieb, so I'm not sure. These are untested in those machines to my knowledge. These were designed for Bally/Stern Classic machines (except for the 6803s).
Yopp

2 weeks later
#223 2 years ago

Today is my birthday so, let ‘em all eat cake!
All Yoppsicles are on sale in the marketplace. 90 cents a stick, across the board, regardless of quantity (accepting domestic orders only currently).
Yopp
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle

#227 2 years ago

Worked this weekend trying to get our pinball bar ready for open and returned to a mess of orders. Thank you ALL for giving them a try. I’m headed to drop these at the post now!
Yopp
5FE3578B-3D38-4660-A7B0-A40CF70F2719 (resized).jpeg5FE3578B-3D38-4660-A7B0-A40CF70F2719 (resized).jpeg

#230 2 years ago

I've decided that I'm going to leave the price where it is now at least for the foreseeable future. I've seen some discussions about similar products being released by others that are both "cheaper and better" than my sticks so I'm making an attempt to at least price match them. One of the other similar products is being offered by a pretty big parts supplier so I don't know how well I'll be able to compete with them if they decide to drop the price further (economy of scale is tough to beat), but I'm not ready to give up. So hopefully these will continue to move a few units at this price and I'll keep on shipping them out as quickly as I can to y'all.
The only thing that could derail this plan is what the current conflict in eastern Europe may do to shipping surcharges. It's a wait and see game.
Yopp

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Why no shipping to Oz?

We have an Australian distributor. I'll get his contact info and share it here (I've already sent him a message, just awaiting a response).

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Not sure if this is the guy. I have seen them posted in the Marketplace for Australian and New Zealand.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124477

I don't think that's him. He sets the prices but I don't think they are that high. As soon as I get a response I'll update here.

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Not sure if this is the guy. I have seen them posted in the Marketplace for Australian and New Zealand.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124477

Ok he just responded. He is selling them for $100 AUS per panel shipped directly from Oz. You can reach out to him at [email protected], of via Facebook you can look up "Yoppsicles Down Under" and send a PM to them and he will receive it.
Yopp

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Do all of the LEDS now come with the added transistor so there is no additional work or is that a special request when ordering?

Correct. The design is set at this point and they all have the added transistor.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

*resistor* cough.
We will see how well they play with my LDB with built in resistor banks in a few days.

Sorry, 'resistor.' Need more coffee.

1 week later
#246 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The purple insert is a touch dim but otherwise not bad for first outing.
[quoted image]

If you wanted to brighten that purple up (purple is hard to light no doubt) you could wire a second one in tandem right next to it if needed. Quick jumper and done.

#248 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Maybe, I'm going to finish assembling and play it by ear and see if it bothers me or not.
My wiring for the playfield is pretty tight. [quoted image]

Wow that is clean and looks great.
All these pics y'all share both impress me and make me a little bit sad. Everybody makes it look a lot better than I manage to.

#251 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yoppsicled this bad boy up today. Anyone got a spare Evel backglass laying around?
[quoted image][quoted image]

You should have a backglass with Evel riding on the back of Centaur. And a word on those sticks--- "They're not just cool, they're cool white..."

1 week later
#252 2 years ago

For those that have been asking for color LEDs, the "Yoppsicle Spectrum" line has been ordered. I would expect to receive them in the next 3 weeks or so. I'll let everyone know when they have arrived and I've added them to the store. Thanks.

3 months later
#259 1 year ago

The spectrum line is now available at my shop.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle
Thanks again all!

Yopp

1 week later
#263 1 year ago
Quoted from casher2006:

anyone figure out how to use these on Bally's 6803 games yet

I hate these don't work with the 6803 and I don't know of a solution to fix that. I seem to remember reading a thread somewhere on Pinside that even the regular LED bulbs don't work well with the 6803.

Yopp

#272 1 year ago

FYI, most star rollovers are well suited to being lit by 2 of these, 1 on each side of the switch.

Haha! This is the same thing I do. It requires throwing in a few jumper wires but not a lot of work at all.
Funny how us hobbyists often come to the same conclusions separately.
Yopp

#273 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

"simple" LEDs don't work well in 6803s, but the ones with the regulation chips (or diode pair and caps) that can be installed either way in the socket seem to work fine.
So it's possible a yopps6803 could be made, but it would require a few extra components

As I've stated in other places, I'm a hobbyist but not any sort of EE. The original Yoppsicle has a super simple circuit that I could somewhat understand. Embarrassingly, I tried to work with a couple people on one of those freelance service websites to try and develop a yoppsicle that would work in a Williams machine (Blackout was the machine I was using as a test) that uses a lamp matrix. I spent a few thousand dollars and a good bit of time having test yoppsicles made and none of them worked (that's the embarrassing part). They all ghosted, even with an additional diode placed in the circuit.

Not wanting to give up so easily, I also talked to a fellow hobbyist about it and we kind of worked a deal where I gave him one of my project pinball machines and he would help me work on the circuit. Also part of our deal was he threw in a board that would allow me to update the ruleset on my Meteor. A few months later he came back and said he was too busy to work on my project and it died right there. I was disappointed but not much I could do really. It was just an old project World Cup Soccer (the 1970's version) that I gave him so it was no great loss.

At that point I put a pin in that project and worked on getting the color ones done.

Having said all that, I still really appreciate all the support other hobbyist have shown for the couple of models of Yoppsicle I do have on the market. I fill several orders a week and that makes me very, very happy.

Yopp

#277 1 year ago

It’s just another Yoppsicle job on a Hotdoggin’. But what makes this one special is that my 16 year old son did it unassisted. I’ll be lining up another few dozen Bally/Stern projects in the shop for him to do!
524658EA-01A8-4B50-971A-2031CD8DA047 (resized).jpeg524658EA-01A8-4B50-971A-2031CD8DA047 (resized).jpeg
EB67B961-BC30-4952-AEC4-72EB1C0E7F3B (resized).jpegEB67B961-BC30-4952-AEC4-72EB1C0E7F3B (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#281 1 year ago

Tommy crushed my stock of cool white sticks a few weeks ago. I just got a fresh batch in for the folks that like the cool stuff. Get ‘em while they’re cool!

DE48DAF7-012A-4007-815E-FD3FD8A526A3 (resized).jpegDE48DAF7-012A-4007-815E-FD3FD8A526A3 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#287 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Warm white Yoppsicles are out of stock!!

Comet Pinball bought out the stock I had . I have more on the way and I just got an email that they should be here by Friday. I'll post an update here when they arrive and I have them back in stock in my shop.

#292 1 year ago

10,000 Warm White sticks just arrived. I’m putting them back in stock on my Marketplace page now. Thanks y’all.

D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpegD14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg

#302 1 year ago
Quoted from runpatboyrun:

I'm not assuming. That's why I'm asking in this community!

I have installed them under star rollovers several times. It does require a new mounting hole and crating a jumper for the hookup, but it’s not hard to do. I also saw someone in the community that made an additional jumper and placed 2 on each star rollover, one on each side of the switch, to make them extra bright.

Yopp

3 weeks later
#305 1 year ago
Quoted from ibis:

Im redoing a Meteor and have some of these for the PF but thinking I may change out the back-box lights too. What would be the best one for illuminating the BG without looking like a super bright, out of place LED?

What I do on my backboxes is only place about 1/3 of the LEDs in strategic positions. In other words, I leave 2/3's of the sockets empty. I used to be able to find some really dim LED for dirt cheap, but those are hard to find in the warm white flavor these days. Since then I've found placing 1/3 bulbs then cutting out small squares of black electrical tape and placing them on the tips of the brighter LED's tends to disperse the light outward nicely overall. If you place them in the right spots (behind a face or some roaring tiger, things like that) you can create this nice effect of highlighting the better aspects of a back glass. Also in some spots I will throw in a colored bulb to tone down the brightness some and for added coloring effect on things like lettering. This has an added side effect of really knocking down the amount of glare you get on the PF glass due to an overly bright back box. You can SEE the playfield better, especially at the top.

Here is a prime example of one of my machines with toned down light. Notice how well you can see the playfield even with the PF glass in place-
IMG_8098 (resized).JPGIMG_8098 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#306 1 year ago

So I just had a customer reach out to me and say they are having issues with the sticks installed in a Baby Pac Man. I'm wholly unfamiliar with this particular machine. I've asked what lamp driver board it has and what the sticks are doing and waiting to hear back. But also wanted to put it out to the larger community for any feedback. Does anyone know if there is anything different about that particular machine that may cause issues? They specifically stated it's not a 6803.

Thanks.

1 year later
#313 42 days ago
Quoted from MrBigg:

Any chance you'll be doing an rgbw anytime soon in the future?
Used yopps on my last homebrew, but will be doing controlled lights on my new one.

There are no plans to do an RGB version of Yoppsicles. There is a solution for this already available from FAST pinball.
https://fastpinball.com/products/lighting/rgb-led-insert/
Yopp

#317 41 days ago
Quoted from egiblet:

So, would these work in later B/W games? 1990-1998? Thanks!

They won't work in a later game I'm afraid. Anything with a matrix will cause issues (if it has a diode at each bulb, that's a tell tale sign).

#318 41 days ago
Quoted from splattii:

As a Canadian I'd have to import these. Has anyone had them burnout? I'm going to do a scratch build and am leaning towards the old #44 sockets but see many going this route. Wondering about long term maintenance as I can't buy these locally at all

Out of curiosity, I just did a quick search for "Yoppsicle Canada" and this popped up: https://pinballmedics.ca/product/yoppsicle-led-sticks/

I wasn't even aware of Pinball Medics or when they ordered from me, but I'm happy someone is offering them north of the border! I've shipped a few to Canada but the shipping cost was pretty outrageous. I also had a fellow pinball restorer mention to me recently that someone in Canada has created their own version of them but didn't have any details beyond that. I'm not sure the name of that particular product, but you may want to see if you can find that as well. I don't know anything about the actual product so I can't speak to it's quality or reliability so your mileage may vary.
Yopp

1 month later
#320 3 days ago
Quoted from Billc479:

So did your bar open to the public? Anybody the location and hours? I have an opportunity (?) to be in the Memphis area for a short while. Thanks

Open to the public. Flip Side Memphis. 1349 Autumn Ave, Memphis, TN.

A link to our tournament streams so you can get the lay of the land:
https://twitch.tv/flipsidememphis

We stream our tuesday night tournaments every week.
David

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-?tu=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.