(Topic ID: 299310)

All Praise be to the Yoppsicle Socket-Free LEDs!

By Tsskinne

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
53FBE438-18B5-4089-97C9-7DAC80B257BD (resized).jpeg
EA734970-8614-4583-91B8-3A9DA44D82DB (resized).jpeg
5D7AAF78-AD15-4566-BFA7-83DC804BDF03 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20221126_054205447 (resized).jpg
IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 13.49.36 (resized).png
D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220905_105733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220905_105233 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220904_021920522 (resized).jpg
46437338-154D-4638-8082-BF6C35AF382D.jpeg
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 2 years ago

So I'm just really impressed with this product from both a cost and quality standpoint that I wanted to share it for those of you who aren't as active on Facebook and may have missed it. David Yopp has designed a replacement for those old crappy flakey sockets on your classic Bally and Stern early solid-state games. As someone who primarily collects those machines, it is a constant battle against the flakey socket and upgraded lighting. He has made them in both warm and cool white, and he is also working on a new design that even incorporates resistors built into the board instead of having just the through-holes for people to install their own.
Warm White
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
Cool White

https://www.facebook.com/Yoppsicle-Socket-Free-LED-Sticks-130196225887570

After converting my Dolly Parton to Yoppsicles I was so impressed I even decided to make a video showing the install process as I converted my Power Play. I am no videographer at all, but I tried to show the process and the tools and parts I was using along the way. Anyway if you want to order some check out his Facebook page and shoot him a message. I'm going to be using these on all my restorations in the future wherever possible under the playfield, and going back to fix any flakey sockets I have on my current machines.

Before and after on my Power Play!

#2 2 years ago

In the end these end up being cheaper than replacing a socket, a LED bulb, and a new light board. I also think they clean up the underside of the playfield as they take up less space than a traditional socket. The benefits are really impressive.

Here is a Paragon converted over to them by my buddy jdoz2

And here is my Dolly showing the difference between Cool White (DO) and Warm White (LLY).

#3 2 years ago

Well, that’s really cool and looks easy to install. Maybe I’ll get some to replace a few of my faulty sockets. Thanks for sharing!

#4 2 years ago

Is there a way to purchase these other than FB? What is the price?

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

Is there a way to purchase these other than FB? What is the price?

I'll see if Yopp has another way to contact him.

$1.25 each, or $100 for $100. Way cheaper than buying sockets and bulbs and replacement LDB for me personally.

#6 2 years ago

I don’t have Facebook but I’d be in for 100 I have several older games with really bad sockets.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from EJS:

I don’t have Facebook but I’d be in for 100 I have several older games with really bad sockets.

I messaged Yopp and I'm trying to find the best way to handle non-facebook business for him. Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

#8 2 years ago

I would be in for a 100

#9 2 years ago

I’m on pi side if anyone wants to hit me up here. Or my email is [email protected]

#10 2 years ago

Just ordered 100 of these, Thanks David, cant wait to try these out!

#11 2 years ago

For a little more context, here is a short video comparison of the sticks vs. sockets and non-ghosting bulbs side by side. I did only the "PARAGON" letters here and shot video above and below.

#12 2 years ago

Also just to let everyone know, I'm currently out of cool white sticks. I just got an email that my next batch should be here on 9/1. I've sold about half of my warm whites that I got in earlier this week but I should be able to satisfy a fair number of orders before I'm out of those as well. I've got other colors and configurations (with the resistor pre-installed so you can use original BALLY boards right out of the box) in the works. I'll keep y'all posted.

#13 2 years ago

I'm probably the only freak that digs the cool whites

#14 2 years ago

Is there any technical info on these? Like which systems of games are these good for, what's the deal with the optional resistor, how are these different from Pinball Life's cool white PCBs, etc. I see there's a mailbag video on Yopp's facebook, but I spend a lot of the day on various calls and can more easily digest text while I "multitask."

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Is there any technical info on these? Like which systems of games are these good for, what's the deal with the optional resistor, how are these different from Pinball Life's cool white PCBs, etc. I see there's a mailbag video on Yopp's facebook, but I spend a lot of the day on various calls and can more easily digest text while I "multitask."

Specifically designed for classic Bally and Stern titles I believe. They have been installed on a Sonic Prospector and worked as well I know for sure.

Typically if you already have LEDS in these classic games (like I did in my Dolly) I have an upgraded light board, $95+shipping from Andrew at www.nvram.weeblly. Because I already have that I don't have to worry about the LED flickering these classic games have. On my Power Play that was still running incadescents I did not have a new light board therefore the through holes allowed me to add a $.03 cent 470 ohm resistor the the Yoppsicle board and eliminate flickering that way.

I'm not sure on the tech specs how they would different from the LEDS from Pinball Life designed for modern Stern games honestly. I didn't even know they were a thing until I just read your post. The SAM lights they have seem to be cheap at $.89, but the Spike LEDS they have are over $4.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Thanks for the questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

I designed these with my old Bally and Stern machines in mind because I was tired of dealing with bad sockets, so they are best suited for that purpose. I purchase mostly alltek lamp driver boards for my machines, so the simple LED circuit in these works right out of the box with those boards. But I'm also aware that some like to use the original lamp driver boards which would need some added resistance. I added a few through hole spots in parallel so the hobbyist could modify them however they saw fit. On the Pinball Life PCB's, I was only made aware of them a couple days ago and I don't know that these are much different. Unfortunately I'll never have the buying/selling power of an outfit like that, so to compete with this board I'll have to depend on trying to make these boards the best and most flexible that I can (I've got other ideas that I'm working on for these boards) and try to be good at customer service. Answering any questions and helping the hobbyist is what I will strive for. Thanks!

#17 2 years ago

Thanks guys!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Thanks guys!

Yeah and I can't tell from Pinball Life's website, but the distance between the screw hole and the LED placement directly into the insert on the Yoppsicles is perfect, and the soldering pads are placed in a perfect distance so you aren't risking any shorts between the ground wire and the controlled wire. I can't see on the old SAM LEDS if the pads are spaced or if they are side by side, the different way they are wired between the era of games I think makes a difference.

#19 2 years ago

Bookmarked! I saw these on Facebook. Just picked up an Evel Knievel for a friend and I'd like to eventually replace all lights with Yoppsicles. Waiting for the resistor built in version so I can just use the existing light board as it seems to be in great shape. Can we mix and match colors and still get a discount at 100? I figured I would pick up cool and warm white so he could decide which ones he wants.

#20 2 years ago

Paragon’s fixed-but-flaky sockets are being upgraded today. You can see there is no effective difference in illumination (warm white)…

3AB4C106-8B79-40D3-9EAB-A9658AF9A5AA (resized).jpeg3AB4C106-8B79-40D3-9EAB-A9658AF9A5AA (resized).jpeg

“This is The Way”

38DB3140-4EA9-454C-B6AF-807191312233 (resized).jpeg38DB3140-4EA9-454C-B6AF-807191312233 (resized).jpeg

No more fixing. No more flakiness. The green Prophet of Yopp hath finally come… and there was much rejoicing.

“yaaaaaaaaay”

#21 2 years ago

Hey Guys,
Does anyone know if these will work with Zaccaria Generation 1&2 games?

#22 2 years ago

Interesting!
I do have a Flash Gordon swap coming up.

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:Deleted post
C7AA5780-9409-4508-9BC8-030F2F104CE8 (resized).jpegC7AA5780-9409-4508-9BC8-030F2F104CE8 (resized).jpegFB319985-593E-4EA7-B8BC-8129D0C5A345 (resized).jpegFB319985-593E-4EA7-B8BC-8129D0C5A345 (resized).jpeg
#25 2 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Dam that looks good.
Nice and clean minimal look!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#26 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Also just to let everyone know, I'm currently out of cool white sticks.

This is good. People should only order warm white anyway. .

Fantastic work on these. Coming straight your way for my next project.

#27 2 years ago

Ha, my first thought as well.
And to think my new light board just came in for
Big Game!

Whats the assuned life span on these bad boys?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ha, my first thought as well.
And to think my new light board just came in for
Big Game!
Whats the assuned life span on these bad boys?

On these yoppsicles? I’d say longer than the life of you or anyone else in this hobby. I’ve only ever seen a couple here or there fail for sterns.

#29 2 years ago

Interesting product.

#30 2 years ago

Will be keeping my eyes out for the resistor installed warm whites for my Dolly.

#31 2 years ago

Even without the light board that Tsskinne refers to, replacing with a socket (in bulk from Pinball Life is $1.05) and a Comet LED (bulk is 0.59) and the math definitely works out for these yoppsicles. Add a resistor for $.02 and you are good with your original Bally lamp board. Or go with the light board as Tommy mentions or get the Seigecraft boards for less soldering.

I'm going to definitely consider these in the future.

Any plans on how to implement something for GI lighting or will we still have to use the ol' socket/bulb combo?

#32 2 years ago

Very nice simple solution to a problem most of us have had at some point.

#33 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

People should only order warm white anyway.

95% agreed! Cool whites will look good under the occasional blue insert.

#34 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Any plans on how to implement something for GI lighting or will we still have to use the ol' socket/bulb combo?

Oh, I didn’t think about GI. On my Flash Gordon, I have a few flakey sockets with bulbs that obviously stick up above the playfield. This won’t work for that. Too bad.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Even without the light board that Tsskinne refers to, replacing with a socket (in bulk from Pinball Life is $1.05) and a Comet LED (bulk is 0.59) and the math definitely works out for these yoppsicles. Add a resistor for $.02 and you are good with your original Bally lamp board. Or go with the light board as Tommy mentions or get the Seigecraft boards for less soldering.
I'm going to definitely consider these in the future.

I’d say it’s not worth the R&D. Use the sockets you’ve taken out for the inserts and repurpose them if needed. Rarely is every socket bad in a game.

#36 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm probably the only freak that digs the cool whites
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"56b0689a20f39cbe755f157aabde17a273630fbf-1630010426-1800"};
//]]>

Nope. I prefer them as well.

#37 2 years ago

Wow, those look great! Will be ordering

#38 2 years ago

Thanks for posting this Tommy....I'm on the list for 200 of them.

#39 2 years ago

Sometimes you have to admit when you’ve been caught flat footed. I’m there. The orders have been overwhelming today and I’ve lost count of what I have remaining. For now I’m going to get the orders I have packaged up then I’ll do a count of what I have left. I’m scared of taking more orders than I have on hand. Until I get that done I don’t want to take anymore orders. I’ll post what I have remaining in stock first thing in the AM.

Edit: and a big thanks to the community for giving them a try and to Tommy for trying them and sharing the results.

#40 2 years ago
Quoted from BeachPickle:

Will be keeping my eyes out for the resistor installed warm whites for my Dolly.

This is coming. Plus every color I can muster.

#41 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Sometimes you have to admit when you’ve been caught flat footed. I’m there. The orders have been overwhelming today and I’ve lost count of what I have remaining. For now I’m going to get the orders I have packaged up then I’ll do a count of what I have left. I’m scared of taking more orders than I have on hand. Until I get that done I don’t want to take anymore orders. I’ll post what I have remaining in stock first thing in the AM.
Edit: and a big thanks to the community for giving them a try and to Tommy for trying them and sharing the results.

I hope I got my order in before the shut-off deadline.

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I hope I got my order in before the shut-off deadline.

Haha, there was no hope for you until next week anyway Mr. Cool.

#43 2 years ago

This is a really cool upgrade for these old games.

#44 2 years ago

Damn a guy goes and has a job interview and then plays an hour long game on avengers and he comes back to 20+ posts. Glad to see others like the idea as well, Yopp is basically a genius, or at least a good dude. I should have ordered more before I shared their amazingness!

#45 2 years ago

Didn’t see a price shown anywhere. Watt's the wattage? i.e. will they work on EMs?

#46 2 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Didn’t see a price shown anywhere. Watt's the wattage? i.e. will they work on EMs?

$1.25 per light, or 100 for $100 I believe. They have already been used in a Sonic Prospector and they worked. I’m going to try some in a Bally Mad World soon too.

#47 2 years ago

Now if he could only make Sunlight like Comet.

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

$1.25 per light, or 100 for $100 I believe. They have already been used in a Sonic Prospector and they worked. I’m going to try some in a Bally Mad World soon too.

The most delicious possibility is replacing Bally backbox sockets with them.

Oh, the sheer amount of potential work saved...

#49 2 years ago

Good idea
Gotta get an order in

#50 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Damn a guy goes and has a job interview and then plays an hour long game on avengers and he comes back to 20+ posts. Glad to see others like the idea as well, Yopp is basically a genius, or at least a good dude. I should have ordered more before I shared their amazingness!

I'll settle for "good dude." I saw a need (in my own machines) and simply pondered a possible solution for it. I have no desire to attempt to live up to the "genius" moniker but thanks for the kind words, and the pinball deals we've made. You've secured a few of my most sought after pins and I appreciate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

£ 195.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.