(Topic ID: 299310)

All Praise be to the Yoppsicle Socket-Free LEDs!

By Tsskinne

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 30 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
53FBE438-18B5-4089-97C9-7DAC80B257BD (resized).jpeg
EA734970-8614-4583-91B8-3A9DA44D82DB (resized).jpeg
5D7AAF78-AD15-4566-BFA7-83DC804BDF03 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20221126_054205447 (resized).jpg
IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 13.49.36 (resized).png
D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220905_105733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220905_105233 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220904_021920522 (resized).jpg
46437338-154D-4638-8082-BF6C35AF382D.jpeg
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Mr. Yopp! Do these also work for controlled lights in the back box, like to illuminate Game Over and Tilt?

Will they? Yes. But they aren’t will suited for it since they don’t have any way to diffuse the light on the front face of the backboard.

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Will they? Yes. But they aren’t will suited for it since they don’t have any way to diffuse the light on the front face of the backboard.

Gotcha. That makes sense. Thanks!

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

Mr. Yopp! Do these also work for controlled lights in the back box, like to illuminate Game Over and Tilt?

I can answer this.

Yes, but you'll need to mount them to the face of the backboard, unless you want a more pin-point light pattern since it has to shine through the hole left by removing the existing socket.

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

I can answer this.
Yes, but you'll need to mount them to the face of the backboard, unless you want a more pin-point light pattern since it has to shine through the hole left by removing the existing socket.

"Light finds a way."

2 weeks later
#205 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

i've used them in a scratch build Kiss game i did. you have to solder a thin wire to the solder pad so you can mount the board in reverse. In the future adding a ground solder pad to the front of the board would be beneficial (i have no idea if this would be cost prohibitive)

#206 2 years ago

Looks great and I just ordered a bunch for a couple of Bally projects I'm working on. ONe question: Will these work in AC applications for star rollovers that are illuminated via the GI circuit?

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from stepside:

Looks great and I just ordered a bunch for a couple of Bally projects I'm working on. ONe question: Will these work in AC applications for star rollovers that are illuminated via the GI circuit?

Yes. You may get some 60HZ strobing but since it's under the rollover I doubt it will be that noticeable. I've used them under star rollovers but I believe in every case it was a controlled lamp. Be advised you may have to extend the wire some and create a new mounting hole to get it situated properly I know at least one person used two Yoppsicles under each rollover, one on each side of the switch.

#208 2 years ago

I see that Marco is carrying your boards now. Very cool!

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I see that Marco is carrying your boards now. Very cool!

Thanks. They picked them up a couple months ago. Excited they are showing an install of them on their tech show this evening so people can see how easy they are to install. Appreciate that they reached out to me to carry them.

#210 2 years ago

I'm digging the crosshairs you put on the backside of the board.
That helped me immensely when positioning them under arrow inserts.

P.S. I'll be sending some pics you way, as promised.

1 week later
#211 2 years ago

So I'm converting a client's Harlem Globetrotters to LEDs, and these are awesome! So user friendly. I'm wondering if there is a solution to prevent strobing for GI applications? I've used LEDs in GI for other games and didn't notice the strobing that I see. Is it a Bally thing?

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

So I'm converting a client's Harlem Globetrotters to LEDs, and these are awesome! So user friendly. I'm wondering if there is a solution to prevent strobing for GI applications? I've used LEDs in GI for other games and didn't notice the strobing that I see. Is it a Bally thing?

Using Yoppsicles for GI? That's not the way to go at all; you need the bulbs above the PF for...well' light.

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

LED bulbs are AC rectified which eliminates the strobing. Yoppsicles are meant to plugged into a DC circuit and aren't made for GI I'm afraid.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Using Yoppsicles for GI? That's not the way to go at all; you need the bulbs above the PF for...well' light.

Well, there are some places on Harlem where GI bulbs don't really stick up through the PF, and instead are mounted like insert lights underneath. But Yopp gave me my answer anyway. So no dice.

#215 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

instead are mounted like insert lights underneath.

I think that’s just because someone replaced the socket in the past with the wrong type. I see it all the time. Just get the light working even if it’s the wrong socket.

#216 2 years ago

How have I not seen these before! I haven't read the entire thread, but do they require anything special in something like Alien Star, Ali or Super Orbit, or can they just be soldered in?

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

How have I not seen these before! I haven't read the entire thread, but do they require anything special in something like Alien Star, Ali or Super Orbit, or can they just be soldered in?

Ali, yes it will work and they don't require anything special, not even an LED driver board. Alien Star and Super Orbit are Gottlieb, so I'm not sure. These are untested in those machines to my knowledge. These were designed for Bally/Stern Classic machines (except for the 6803s).
Yopp

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

These were designed for Bally/Stern Classic machines (except for the 6803s).
Yopp

Why not the 6803 games?

#219 2 years ago
Quoted from casher2006:

Why not the 6803 games?

Need more circuitry to deal with the phased lamps. LEDs would stay on for multiple phases.

#220 2 years ago

Dos anyone have a list of the 6803 games? Would be interesting to know which ones they are.

#222 2 years ago

Bally 6803 Games:

Eight Ball Champ
Beat the Clock
Lady Luck
Motordome
Black Belt
Special Force
Strange Science
City Slicker
Hardbody
Party Animal
Heavy Metal Meltdown
Dungeons & Dragons
Escape From The Lost World
Blackwater 100
Truck Stop
Atlantis

1 week later
#223 2 years ago

Today is my birthday so, let ‘em all eat cake!
All Yoppsicles are on sale in the marketplace. 90 cents a stick, across the board, regardless of quantity (accepting domestic orders only currently).
Yopp
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle

#224 2 years ago

Happy birthday!
I’ve been watching these for a while. It seems this sale finally convinced me to give these a try.

Jeff

#225 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Today is my birthday so, let ‘em all eat cake!
All Yoppsicles are on sale in the marketplace. 90 cents a stick, across the board, regardless of quantity (accepting domestic orders only currently).
Yopp
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1360-yoppsicle

I'm in for 2 dozen, I'll try them on Quicksilver

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#226 2 years ago

Ordered a few hundred of these to check out....seems like a great idea

#227 2 years ago

Worked this weekend trying to get our pinball bar ready for open and returned to a mess of orders. Thank you ALL for giving them a try. I’m headed to drop these at the post now!
Yopp
5FE3578B-3D38-4660-A7B0-A40CF70F2719 (resized).jpeg5FE3578B-3D38-4660-A7B0-A40CF70F2719 (resized).jpeg

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Worked this weekend trying to get our pinball bar ready for open and returned to a mess of orders. Thank you ALL for giving them a try. I’m headed to drop these at the post now!
Yopp
[quoted image]

Happy Birthday and thanks coming up with this product. Emperor Ming awaits … installation

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

...Emperor Ming awaits … installation

20220227_132947.jpg20220227_132947.jpg
Getting it all together after a swap

#230 2 years ago

I've decided that I'm going to leave the price where it is now at least for the foreseeable future. I've seen some discussions about similar products being released by others that are both "cheaper and better" than my sticks so I'm making an attempt to at least price match them. One of the other similar products is being offered by a pretty big parts supplier so I don't know how well I'll be able to compete with them if they decide to drop the price further (economy of scale is tough to beat), but I'm not ready to give up. So hopefully these will continue to move a few units at this price and I'll keep on shipping them out as quickly as I can to y'all.
The only thing that could derail this plan is what the current conflict in eastern Europe may do to shipping surcharges. It's a wait and see game.
Yopp

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

[quoted image]
Getting it all together after a swap

Awwww nice! I’m doing a hardtop in a couple of months. I hope it comes out half as nice as yours.

#232 2 years ago

Forgot to say happy birthday! Thanks much for the flash sale!

I really wanna play that gorgeous Freefall one day. Is it at your bar?

#233 2 years ago

Why no shipping to Oz?

#234 2 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Why no shipping to Oz?

We have an Australian distributor. I'll get his contact info and share it here (I've already sent him a message, just awaiting a response).

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

We have an Australian distributor. I'll get his contact info and share it here (I've already sent him a message, just awaiting a response).

Not sure if this is the guy. I have seen them posted in the Marketplace for Australian and New Zealand.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/124477

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Not sure if this is the guy. I have seen them posted in the Marketplace for Australian and New Zealand.

I don't think that's him. He sets the prices but I don't think they are that high. As soon as I get a response I'll update here.

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from La4s:

Ok he just responded. He is selling them for $100 AUS per panel shipped directly from Oz. You can reach out to him at [email protected], of via Facebook you can look up "Yoppsicles Down Under" and send a PM to them and he will receive it.
Yopp

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I've decided that I'm going to leave the price where it is now at least for the foreseeable future. I've seen some discussions about similar products being released by others that are both "cheaper and better" than my sticks so I'm making an attempt to at least price match them. One of the other similar products is being offered by a pretty big parts supplier so I don't know how well I'll be able to compete with them if they decide to drop the price further (economy of scale is tough to beat), but I'm not ready to give up. So hopefully these will continue to move a few units at this price and I'll keep on shipping them out as quickly as I can to y'all.
The only thing that could derail this plan is what the current conflict in eastern Europe may do to shipping surcharges. It's a wait and see game.
Yopp

I plan to keep buying from you at your current prices.

#239 2 years ago

Do all of the LEDS now come with the added transistor so there is no additional work or is that a special request when ordering?

#240 2 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Do all of the LEDS now come with the added transistor so there is no additional work or is that a special request when ordering?

Correct. The design is set at this point and they all have the added transistor.

#241 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Correct. The design is set at this point and they all have the added transistor.

*resistor* cough.

We will see how well they play with my LDB with built in resistor banks in a few days.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

*resistor* cough.
We will see how well they play with my LDB with built in resistor banks in a few days.

Sorry, 'resistor.' Need more coffee.

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

gdonovan you should have nothing to worry about

AFC9077C-D34D-4B80-9B54-96C75E42301D.gifAFC9077C-D34D-4B80-9B54-96C75E42301D.gif
#244 2 years ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

gdonovan you should have nothing to worry about
[quoted image]

If all goes well, find out tonight!

Looks great!

#245 2 years ago

The purple insert is a touch dim but otherwise not bad for first outing.

a9142f22abe2e49d495f68fef16843e1c59b8939.gifa9142f22abe2e49d495f68fef16843e1c59b8939.gif
#246 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

The purple insert is a touch dim but otherwise not bad for first outing.
[quoted image]

If you wanted to brighten that purple up (purple is hard to light no doubt) you could wire a second one in tandem right next to it if needed. Quick jumper and done.

#247 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

If you wanted to brighten that purple up (purple is hard to light no doubt) you could wire a second one in tandem right next to it if needed. Quick jumper and done.

Maybe, I'm going to finish assembling and play it by ear and see if it bothers me or not.

My wiring for the playfield is pretty tight.

20220309_075515 (resized).jpg20220309_075515 (resized).jpg
#248 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Maybe, I'm going to finish assembling and play it by ear and see if it bothers me or not.
My wiring for the playfield is pretty tight. [quoted image]

Wow that is clean and looks great.
All these pics y'all share both impress me and make me a little bit sad. Everybody makes it look a lot better than I manage to.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Wow that is clean and looks great.
All these pics y'all share both impress me and make me a little bit sad. Everybody makes it look a lot better than I manage to.

7 days of work right there, harness is made from scratch. I'll be working on the switch matrix tonight.

#250 2 years ago

Yoppsicled this bad boy up today. Anyone got a spare Evel backglass laying around?

35AA8939-191C-4B7B-9825-38A0C4128480 (resized).jpeg35AA8939-191C-4B7B-9825-38A0C4128480 (resized).jpeg6B3EFF77-A0C0-4DEB-A3F9-09A574876D0D (resized).jpeg6B3EFF77-A0C0-4DEB-A3F9-09A574876D0D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, TN
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 90.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

6,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-/page/5?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.