(Topic ID: 299310)

All Praise be to the Yoppsicle Socket-Free LEDs!

By Tsskinne

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
53FBE438-18B5-4089-97C9-7DAC80B257BD (resized).jpeg
EA734970-8614-4583-91B8-3A9DA44D82DB (resized).jpeg
5D7AAF78-AD15-4566-BFA7-83DC804BDF03 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20221126_054205447 (resized).jpg
IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 13.49.36 (resized).png
D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220905_105733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220905_105233 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220904_021920522 (resized).jpg
46437338-154D-4638-8082-BF6C35AF382D.jpeg

There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Better jump on it before someone else does! The idea is out there now, someone's gonna steal it.

Quoted from dyopp21:

Actually I think it may already exist in one of the home brew kits? I’ll look into it.

Honestly? Why re-invent it? Technically, it does exist. Just need to use a .100" header insted of soldering the wires directly -
https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-insert-led-pcb-assembly.html

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Honestly? Why re-invent it? Technically, it does exist. Just need to use a .100" header insted of soldering the wires directly -
https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-insert-led-pcb-assembly.html

And there it is. I knew I had seen either this or something like it in one of the DIY platforms. Thanks for the link.

#103 2 years ago

And there it is. I knew I had seen either this or something like it in one of the DIY platforms.

Great project happening here. Keep up the enthusiasm.

#104 2 years ago

Better jump on it before someone else does! The idea is out there now, someone's gonna steal it.

There are serial RGB boards in a very similar configuration. I bought a bunch for a homebrew. But they won't work in a stock machine like this one.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

created the prototype of this bulb a year and a half ago using actual popsicle sticks (That's where "Yoppsicle" comes from)

Brilliant! I love it!

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

O.k. some updates:
1. I'm glad I stopped taking orders last night. I'm tapped out of everything I got in but I got lucky and didn't oversell..
2. I will have 1500 cool white sticks in next week.

3. I will work on this TODAY! Great idea.
4. I'm working on V3 of the new sticks which will include the extra resistor so they should work with both old and new lamp driver boards right out of the box. They will also feature and oblong mounting hole for a little more flexibility in positioning. They will still include a through hole spot for you modders. These also should work for classic Williams machines (Firepower, ETC)
5. COLORS. All of 'em. In the works.
I've got new stock of the WW on order. A larger order this time. I'll let everyone know when I've got the store set up and when I have the new stock in.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and patience.
Yopp

I just found our about these. I sent you a PM. I need 8 of them in Cool White.

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I just found our about these. I sent you a PM. I need 8 of them in Cool White.

Got it and responded. Thanks.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Got it and responded. Thanks.

Thank you. I have placed my order.

#109 2 years ago

I'll take 150 ww if you have them.
Jerry

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

I'll take 150 ww if you have them.
Jerry

Hey Jerry thanks for the interest! I just got my new stock of the new version with the added resistor for use with the original boards. I want to finish installing them in my Power Play (original board) to make sure all is well tonight. Then I will offer them up tomorrow. I will add you to the list of people to reach out to if you'd like me to.

Yopp

#111 2 years ago

Will the ones with built-in resistors still work with games with the modified-for-led lamp boards or replacement lamp boards?

I've got an LED'ed Paragon with a resistor-modified lamp board so I wouldn't need the ones with a built-in resistor. But a lot of my repair calls are for Ballys with original lamp boards. So it'd be nice to have a stock on hand of the resistor ones. And if they're safe to use for both types of games, that would be ideal.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Will the ones with built-in resistors still work with games with the modified-for-led lamp boards or replacement lamp boards?
I've got an LED'ed Paragon with a resistor-modified lamp board so I wouldn't need the ones with a built-in resistor. But a lot of my repair calls are for Ballys with original lamp boards. So it'd be nice to have a stock on hand of the resistor ones. And if they're safe to use for both types of games, that would be ideal.

Yes. They will work just fine even with the resistor in place.

#113 2 years ago

Warm White and Cool White with the resistor for original boards now in stock. Some video below covering the new sticks as well as a new product in development.

#114 2 years ago

I see meteor behind you, how about LED strips to replace the rocket lamps/top meteor light lamps? (I know about the twist replacements already)

That way all the LEDs would be consistent throughout the machine.

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I see meteor behind you, how about LED strips to replace the rocket lamps/top meteor light lamps? (I know about the twist replacements already)

I have heard he is working on something like that....

#116 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I have heard he is working on something like that....

I remember when they were made, reminds me I need to install mine!

#117 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:I see meteor behind you, how about LED strips to replace the rocket lamps/top meteor light lamps? (I know about the twist replacements already)

Tommy is correct. It's something I'm also working on (I have an idea for three main boards to cover much of that games under PF lighting). Unfortunately ATM I've been busy filling orders and putting the finishing touches on a few other Pin products and overwhelmed at the hospital where I work as well. I need more hours in the day.

#118 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

the hospital where I work as well.

Now we know where his prototypes came from.

#119 2 years ago

Now we know where his prototypes came from.

Haha. I wish! It's all strictly radiology systems for me at work. No access to anything that helps me in the pinball world.

#120 2 years ago

Which of the colors looks like comet sunlight with resisters?

I need enough to do 2 1978 playboys and a silverball mania?

How many should I get? 200?

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Which of the colors looks like comet sunlight with resisters?
I need enough to do 2 1978 playboys and a silverball mania?
How many should I get? 200?

My warm white leans Sunlight. I don't like them overly yellow. The LED's I use are right at the 3000K range and that makes them a lot crisper without spilling into fluorescent territory.
For reference look at this one I just completed:
BCEF141A-3138-40FB-BBE2-C7D703DD91BF (resized).jpegBCEF141A-3138-40FB-BBE2-C7D703DD91BF (resized).jpeg
All of the inserts are Yoppsicle Omnis (with the extra resistor already installed) warm white. The lower half of the GI is sunlight and the upper half is classic warm white. I did this for comparison of the Yoppsicles with the different versions “warm” white.
And I’d say 200 should be about enough to get you done.

Yopp

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

My warm white leans Sunlight. I don't like them overly yellow. The LED's I use are right at the 3000K range and that makes them a lot crisper without spilling into fluorescent territory.
For reference look at this one I just completed:
[quoted image]
All of the inserts are Yoppsicle Omnis (with the extra resistor already installed) warm white. The lower half of the GI is sunlight and the upper half is classic warm white. I did this for comparison of the Yoppsicles with the different versions “warm” white.
And I’d say 200 should be about enough to get you done.
Yopp

That looks perfect!

200 warm white is very doable.

#123 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

That looks perfect!
200 warm white is very doable.

Thanks, and just to let you know after fulfilling orders today I'm down to 250 Warm White remaining. I've ordered more but it will probably be at least a week before they arrive.

#124 2 years ago

I just finished doing my Dragonfist - looks great. Fun soldering in the 470 ohm resistors and luckily I stuffed them all and thought about it and realized the resistor needed to be on the opposite side of the board as the LED before I soldered even one.... but I had to pull out all 100 resistors and flip. Oh well.

I think this is a nominee for "product of the year" - first time my fist has ever had all its lamps working 100%.

This is after endless frustrations with replacing sockets! Even replaced sockets there still were lamps that weren't reliable. The elimination of the socket is the genius part on this product.

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I just finished doing my Dragonfist - looks great. Fun soldering in the 470 ohm resistors and luckily I stuffed them all and thought about it and realized the resistor needed to be on the opposite side of the board as the LED before I soldered even one.... but I had to pull out all 100 resistors and flip. Oh well.
I think this is a nominee for "product of the year" - first time my fist has ever had all its lamps working 100%.
This is after endless frustrations with replacing sockets! Even replaced sockets there still were lamps that weren't reliable. The elimination of the socket is the genius part on this product.

I’m glad they worked well for you! And now with the Omnis no more stuffing resistors at all. Keep me posted if there are any issues with them at all and thanks again for giving them a shot.

#126 2 years ago

PS- is there really such a thing as “product of the year?”

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

PS- is there really such a thing as “product of the year?”

https://www.thisweekinpinball.com/the-twipy-pinball-awards-results-percentages-and-honorable-mentions/

Would qualify under 'mod of the year'

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

Thanks, and just to let you know after fulfilling orders today I'm down to 250 Warm White remaining. I've ordered more but it will probably be at least a week before they arrive.

No problem. It will be awhile before i get to these games.

#130 2 years ago

I'm looking forward to receiving mine; glad I got my order in & I'm excited to give them a test trial.

Curious to see the color & brightness, I usually use Comet SM1's & 2's warm white's

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yup same thing with my Dolly and power play!

#132 2 years ago

O.k. I had a couple more orders this evening and I'm out of stock of the Warm White Omnis again. I do have plenty of the Cool Whites (waiting for Tommy's gif for that) available. I've already got more WW on order. Stay tuned.

Yopp

#133 2 years ago

If i was making these, i would have installed the 470 ohm resistor, surface mount style. if you didn't want the resistor, with a simple soldering iron, you could easily remove the surface mount resistor ("flick it off"), in just about 1 second. in addition, i would have had two holes installed underneath the SMD led... just in case the user want to "flick off" the SMD and install a conventional LED.... say a colored variety.

#134 2 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

If i was making these, i would have installed the 470 ohm resistor, surface mount style. if you didn't want the resistor, with a simple soldering iron, you could easily remove the surface mount resistor ("flick it off"), in just about 1 second.

That's what the newer revision has.... I just got the pre-revision.

The only suggestion I would have is make the landing area larger for the common wire - just to get it away from the screw head. I also sometimes use the tab which negates worrying about that and uses the screw to pass the common voltage.

I had found one swapped wire and one I forgot to connect when I did it, easy as cake to pull the playfield up, desolder and swap. The standalone pad takes solder really well.

#135 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The only suggestion I would have is make the landing area larger for the common wire - just to get it away from the screw head. I also sometimes use the tab which negates worrying about that and uses the screw to pass the common voltage.
I had found one swapped wire and one I forgot to connect when I did it, easy as cake to pull the playfield up, desolder and swap. The standalone pad takes solder really well.

Yep, and I think the newest revision addresses the screwhold issue as well.

#136 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I like the way y'all think! On the version that is in production now, we narrowed the slot to make the landing pad wider down each side and extended the pad as far as we could. I'm a medical informatics guy in real life, so I'm still learning the PCB/electronics thing. I know just enough to be dangerous. The other change on this version is the addition of the "aiming reticle" on the back to help align with the insert. I really appreciate all the feedback the end users have given me!
yv3 (resized).PNGyv3 (resized).PNG

#137 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I like the way y'all think! On the version that is in production now, we narrowed the slot to make the landing pad wider down each side and extended the pad as far as we could. I'm a medical informatics guy in real life, so I'm still learning the PCB/electronics thing. I know just enough to be dangerous. The other change on this version is the addition of the "aiming reticle" on the back to help align with the insert. I really appreciate all the feedback the end users have given me!
[quoted image]

mmmmm cool white!

#138 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

mmmmm cool white!

I really should've called these "Omni- Vanilla Ice Edition" in your honor.

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I really should've called these "Omni- Vanilla Ice Edition" in your honor.

ice-ice-baby-vanilla-ice.gifice-ice-baby-vanilla-ice.gif
#140 2 years ago

Small update for those that are following this thread.
1. I had a customer that installed a few of these in an 8 Ball Champ (6803) to see how they would act. They don't work (they flicker or stay on, etc). So, heads up if you are thinking of trying them on any of the machines with the 6803. Not recommended.

2. Rev 3 of the Omni sticks in Warm White is on it's way and is due to arrive on the 27th of sept. For the rev 3 I've added the "aiming reticle" in the screen printing opposite the LED to make it easier to line up with the insert, as well as making the mounting slot just a touch more narrow for a more secure screw mount and a little more lateral landing pads for soldering. The additional resistor, etc. from Rev 2 all remained unchanged.

I've already got a good sized waitlist going, so if you are wanting some warm whites in this incoming batch you may want to shoot me a pm so I can get you added to the list. I still have plenty of the cool in stock of both rev 1 (through holes) and rev 2 (additional resistor) for anyone who needs them.

Thanks,
Yopp

1 week later
#141 2 years ago

I received the new Revision 3 boards and have fulfilled the orders for those that were on the wait list. These have several small updates (see my post previous to this one). After all the backorders were filled I have 800 sticks in warm white remaining if anyone would like to order. Just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you ASAP
Thanks again for the overwhelming response from the community.

Omnis-rev3 (resized).pngOmnis-rev3 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#142 2 years ago

Weekend is here

20211015_214524.jpg20211015_214524.jpg
#143 2 years ago

Back is killing me

20211016_022422.jpg20211016_022422.jpg
#144 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Back is killing me[quoted image]

What game is that?

Do these work on EMs? I assume there is no anti ghosting function yet? A lot of EM inserts will ghost on normal LEDs.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What game is that?
Do these work on EMs? I assume there is no anti ghosting function yet? A lot of EM inserts will ghost on normal LEDs.

He has the non ghosting ones. They don’t even need a modded led lamp board for early Bally and stern SS either.

#146 2 years ago

That’s a Big Game, I plan to do the same with mine soon.

#147 2 years ago

I purchased some Yoppsicles for movable controlled lights on my Seawitch project, they worked great.

20210920_200503 (resized).jpg20210920_200503 (resized).jpg
#148 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

What game is that?

Big Game.

Sorry. I see it was addressed as I scrolled down the list.

#149 2 years ago

Mine are the first run

#150 2 years ago

Diggin these

16344121969129108816423979221740 (resized).jpg16344121969129108816423979221740 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-/page/3?hl=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.