(Topic ID: 299310)

All Praise be to the Yoppsicle Socket-Free LEDs!

By Tsskinne

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 331 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 24 days ago by punkin
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
53FBE438-18B5-4089-97C9-7DAC80B257BD (resized).jpeg
EA734970-8614-4583-91B8-3A9DA44D82DB (resized).jpeg
5D7AAF78-AD15-4566-BFA7-83DC804BDF03 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20221126_054205447 (resized).jpg
IMG_8098 (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 13.49.36 (resized).png
D14191C1-1EF0-48F5-A3C8-2E2A4D205B4B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20220905_105733 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220905_105233 (resized).jpg
PXL_20220904_021920522 (resized).jpg
46437338-154D-4638-8082-BF6C35AF382D.jpeg
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 2 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

The most delicious possibility is replacing Bally backbox sockets with them.
Oh, the sheer amount of potential work saved...

I think this is very possible.

#52 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I’d say it’s not worth the R&D. Use the sockets you’ve taken out for the inserts and repurpose them if needed. Rarely is every socket bad in a game.

I was thinking for PF swaps where I would replace all the sockets anyway. I replaced the sockets on my FG and Viking swaps. Were these available at the time, I would have considered these for inserts and star rollovers. At $1 each, it would have saved me $.64 on the bulb/socket. Over the 2 games, it could have been $120 or more. I'm doing a Centaur swap and a Joker Poker swap within the next year, so getting a couple hundred of these might be in my future.

For games that I don't do swaps in, the yeah, I would replace the socket/bulb on a "per" basis.

#53 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

where I would replace all the sockets anyway.

You do? Seems wasteful. Did you save those old sockets? Can I buy them?

Not sure how you can use PCBs for GI unless you somehow get a cap on them for above the playfield to help disperse light.

#54 2 years ago

I'm definitely a cheapie when it comes to some things and even I now replace all those old sockets with new when doing a swap.

All the 'fixes' over the years with old sockets just don't cut it for me in the long haul. I do save the ones that aren't rusty though, and re-use the bare wire between the GI sockets sometimes (when I need a short piece and I can't find my new spool....)

#55 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You do? Seems wasteful. Did you save those old sockets? Can I buy them?
Not sure how you can use PCBs for GI unless you somehow get a cap on them for above the playfield to help disperse light.

I do and I didn't save them. Only seems wasteful if they all worked 100% of the time. I mean some did, but some didn't and the time saved to replace them all was worth it. I think it's a pretty common practice when doing swaps. Marking the bad sockets, desoldering them all, sorting between the good ones vs the bad ones, it would take a ton of time. Plus, it's a new pf, it should get new stuff

#56 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I do and I didn't save them. Only seems wasteful if they all worked 100% of the time. I mean some did, but some didn't and the time saved to replace them all was worth it. I think it's a pretty common practice when doing swaps. Marking the bad sockets, desoldering them all, sorting between the good ones vs the bad ones, it would take a ton of time. Plus, it's a new pf, it should get new stuff
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"81d98fd298aec37d3d924b564cf6d1dde71c3f78-1630070257-1800"};
//]]>

Yeah I hear ya. I’m going to do one on my big game and seems weird to replace them all when they all work.

#57 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yeah I hear ya. I’m going to do one on my big game and seems weird to replace them all when they all work.

When you are swapping man change them all out. In the big picture it isn't a huge cost, and the headaches it saves are well worth it for sure. Just the years and years of coil dust that has settled into every little nook and crany on anything under that playfield alone makes it work replacing.

#58 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

When you are swapping man change them all out. In the big picture it isn't a huge cost, and the headaches it saves are well worth it for sure. Just the years and years of coil dust that has settled into every little nook and crany on anything under that playfield alone makes it work replacing.

They all work. Haha. I mean I guess I can keep them as spares, but they all work.

#59 2 years ago

dyopp21 you could set up a store here on Pinside. I have one, for just a single item for now. It was very easy, and the built in shipping label creator is awesome. You can tell it how many of an item you have and it will subtract from that as things sell. I don’t know how to do volume discounts, but maybe two items, one for the 1-99 QTY buys and one for the 100+, but just do it as $100 for 100 (and add for shipping and pinside fee as needed) and just make people buy them in batches of 100.

It’s easy to process orders and the fee is minimal. As you process your orders you have stages that the buyer gets to see as well. When you ship it, it will send a message to the buyer with their tracking info. Well worth it.

Then as new items are available you just post here and people will buy what they want. Restock, repeat.

#61 2 years ago
Quoted from WMSpin:

I would be in for a 100

I already got a 100.

#62 2 years ago

O.k. some updates:
1. I'm glad I stopped taking orders last night. I'm tapped out of everything I got in but I got lucky and didn't oversell..
2. I will have 1500 cool white sticks in next week.

Quoted from desertT1:

dyopp21 you could set up a store here on Pinside.

3. I will work on this TODAY! Great idea.
4. I'm working on V3 of the new sticks which will include the extra resistor so they should work with both old and new lamp driver boards right out of the box. They will also feature and oblong mounting hole for a little more flexibility in positioning. They will still include a through hole spot for you modders. These also should work for classic Williams machines (Firepower, ETC)
5. COLORS. All of 'em. In the works.

I've got new stock of the WW on order. A larger order this time. I'll let everyone know when I've got the store set up and when I have the new stock in.
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and patience.

Yopp

#63 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Now if he could only make Sunlight like Comet.

I'll look into this. This is cooler than warm white but not quite "cool white" correct?

#64 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I'll look into this. This is cooler than warm white but not quite "cool white" correct?

Yep.

#65 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

This is what I use on my older games. Yes!

#66 2 years ago

I'm watching for cool whites. I prefer them in my games, especially when I'm putting on on route. This looks really cool.

#67 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Classic Stern sockets are WAY better than classic Bally, from my experience.

#68 2 years ago

Following

#69 2 years ago
Quoted from Jjsmooth:

Classic Stern sockets are WAY better than classic Bally, from my experience.

For sure. Those 555s are the worst things to ever happen to pinball.

#70 2 years ago

To everyone that ordered yesterday, they are all in the mail and on their way.

Edit: with the exception of items sent outside the US I sent them all priority mail. If you haven't seen something by midweek next week and you ordered and paid, please contact me so we can be sure I didn't overlook anything. Thanks.

#71 2 years ago

I bought 100 of these to try.

Regarding old sockets... if you are adding the 470 ohm resistor to the original socket, and soldering one leg to the tit of the socket (along with moving the LDB return wire), that really fixes about 95% of all bad sockets. We use a dremel to sand the bayonette side of the original socket and run the resistor from there to the "tit" (which also gets sanded), and move the wire to the "tit" at the same time. sometimes we attach one side of the resistor to the 6volt buss wire (instead of the bayonette body.) Dealers choice...

I *never* buy an Altek lamp board. N E V E R. You have to work on the sockets anyway, why do i want some surface mount $100 thing? i don't! And hence i have to add the 470 ohm resistors... but if you're working on the sockets anyway, it's two birds with one stone type of thing.

But that all said, i think these lamp boards may be a good answer too. Hence I'm giving them a go. It's twice the cost of an LED and a resistor (on a modified stock socket), but these should increase controlled lamp reliability quite a bit.

#72 2 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

I bought 100 of these to try.

Good, lay a couple on me. I emailed but never got a response.

#73 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Good, lay a couple on me. I emailed but never got a response.

I'm sorry I missed your email! In the rush I forgot to check it. I saw some emails this evening and responded. Hope I got to yours.

Edit: Just went through my emails again and not sure I see one from you. Did you send it to [email protected]?

#74 2 years ago

No need we got it all worked out

#75 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:Now if he could only make Sunlight like Comet.

This got me to thinking. I have some sunlight bulbs here and decided to compare because I went on the cooler side of the warm spectrum- I can’t tell much difference between sunlight and my bulb if any at all. I dropped the voltage down and took a pic of my bulb with it not at the “blinding” level and took a pic. Also grabbed a pic of a sunlight bulb. You can see them below-
5845582B-8763-4E48-A324-495F630B8D07 (resized).jpeg5845582B-8763-4E48-A324-495F630B8D07 (resized).jpeg
9598BA76-C6FA-4E90-BB7E-8D2B7C63990B (resized).jpeg9598BA76-C6FA-4E90-BB7E-8D2B7C63990B (resized).jpeg

I doubt I’ll make one warmer than this. Still a little bit warm but plenty of brightness. Anyone else that installs one of my warms next to a sunlight can possibly confirm if this is correct or my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Yopp

#76 2 years ago

From what I've seen so far, your warms are a near-perfect match for incandescent with none of the artificially yellow (or even greenish?) tones of some warm white LEDs. I agree that sunlight is probably close enough to what you've already got that it wouldn't make sense to offer both. I bet your warm inserts would look perfect in a game with sunlight GI.

#77 2 years ago

Seems like a very cool product. I'll probably put a warm white order in once you get them back in stock.

#78 2 years ago

Tommy thanks for posting this information. Unfortunately I’ve already replaced most of my light sockets with traditional components. I need to take a look at a few games to see if some sockets might be worthy of replacement. Nice job David. Truly an asset to the hobby!

#79 2 years ago

cool-white-yoppsicle (resized).pngcool-white-yoppsicle (resized).png
For you restoration folks that prefer the chilly lights in your projects, we got a batch of cool white sticks in yesterday and shipped out all the orders for customers who were waiting on them (If I missed you and didn't get in contact, my apologies! I've held a couple hundred back just in case. Get in touch with me again. I've got messages in about 5 different places). We have about 900 left for anyone else who may want some. Shoot me a message if you are interested in some and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks!
Note: these are designed to be installed under playfield inserts to replace both socket and bulb in one install. They are not well suited for GI nor backbox illumination.
I'll be working on setting up a pinside store as we are able to get larger numbers of stock in. Right now they are limiting me on what I can order because I'm making small changes to the boards which keeps them in the "prototype" status. This is good, as I wouldn't want to be sitting on thousands of bulbs that didn't work correctly.

#80 2 years ago

Me everytime them Cool Whites show up!

cold as ice.gifcold as ice.gif
#81 2 years ago

Ewwwwwww cool white

#82 2 years ago

I received my order of warm whites yesterday and cant say enough good things about these lights, easy to install and looks amazing! My only regret is I only ordered 100 and dont have enough to do all my Ballys right now.

#83 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ewwwwwww cool white

ronburgundy-agree.gifronburgundy-agree.gif
#84 2 years ago
Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

I received my order of warm whites yesterday and cant say enough good things about these lights, easy to install and looks amazing! My only regret is I only ordered 100 and dont have enough to do all my Ballys right now.

Haha that was my exact thought when I did Dolly! Instantly looked across the room at my Power Play and was just like I'm sorry Bobby Orr, I will do you right soon!!!

#85 2 years ago
Quoted from ODENONMYSIDE513:

Regret not! I've got WW on the way with a new design. Check it out:
YSv31 (resized).pngYSv31 (resized).png
ysv32 (resized).pngysv32 (resized).png
The mounting hole has been redesigned to accommodate those tight spots. The landing pad for the braided wire has been expanded. The resistor for original Bally boards has been added. The price remains the same.

These are on the make now (without the screen print for polarity though, that'll be the next order)

#86 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The mounting hole has been redesigned to accommodate those tight spots. The landing pad for the braided wire has been expanded. The resistor for original Bally boards has been added. The price remains the same.
These are on the make now (without the screen print for polarity though, that'll be the next order)

You got me feeling....

one-hunred-percent-spoiled-boss-baby.gifone-hunred-percent-spoiled-boss-baby.gif
#87 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'm questioning that polarity - is it reversed?

#88 2 years ago
Quoted from chris_p:

I'm questioning that polarity - is it reversed?

I don't think so. Positive is the braided wire. Negative is the control wire.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

cool - I know how to connect them, just not what they actually DO lol.

#90 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I'd like to order 100 WWs with resistor. Do I just email you?

#91 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

I'd like to order 100 WWs with resistor. Do I just email you?

Yes, just shoot me a message on here and I'll add you to the wait list for the next order of WW. Thanks!

#92 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

The good news is if you managed to connect one in reverse (in say a Firepower where there is no braided wire) it shouldn't do any damage. If you reverse polarity on the LED it will still act as a diode, so it'll just block the flow of electrons. Simply detach the wires and swap 'em.

#93 2 years ago

If anyone wants to make a version 2.0 of these...

Instead of white LED, use RGBW.
Each color has its own solder tab.
Installer can use any combination to make the LED whatever color they want.
RGBW will allow pink, light green, light blue, and pure white.
Make them all with resistors, and mark the boards "B/S" and "W/G". Wiring to B/S is for Bally/Stern (which put the resistor in circuit). W/G is Williams/Gottlieb (which bypasses the resistor).

Mass producing a single board that covers all the bases will help bring cost down.

#94 2 years ago

Amazing!! Will be using these on all of my Bally 6803 pins for sure!!!! Worst sockets ever made.

#95 2 years ago

My High Speed is gonna love these.

#96 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Make them all with resistors, and mark the boards "B/S" and "W/G". Wiring to B/S is for Bally/Stern (which put the resistor in circuit). W/G is Williams/Gottlieb (which bypasses the resistor).

I'm not sure about the RBG (for this project at least), but I like the two circuit idea for sure. I guess my question would be, with this bit of resistance (470 ohm), would a Williams lamp driver have issues with it? Also, how many people feel the need to replace Williams sockets? Mine have been pretty rock solid even in my old late 70's machines.

#97 2 years ago

I have always referred to my six million dollar man as a bulb whore or the six million socket man.
I have owned it 14 years and have never turned it on once and said, " wow all the bulbs are on!"
I swear i have changed all the sockets twice.
I will be ordering these.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have always referred to my six million dollar man as a bulb whore or the six million socket man.
I have owned it 14 years and have never turned it on once and said, " wow all the bulbs are on!"
I swear i have changed all the sockets twice.
I will be ordering these.

Funny you should mention SMDM. It was the machine that pushed me over the edge. I created the prototype of this bulb a year and a half ago using actual popsicle sticks (That's where "Yoppsicle" comes from) Here's some video of the final with all popsicle sticks.

Those popsicle sticks are STILL in my SMDM at a public location and not a one of them has failed.

#99 2 years ago
Quoted from dyopp21:

I'm not sure about the RBG (for this project at least)

Better jump on it before someone else does! The idea is out there now, someone's gonna steal it.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

Better jump on it before someone else does! The idea is out there now, someone's gonna steal it.

Actually I think it may already exist in one of the home brew kits? I’ll look into it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.95
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 22.50
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 331 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-praise-be-to-the-yoppsicle-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.