Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Crash
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

So I have had my WOZ out on location for a few months now and it has been doing really well and not had any problems. Of course as soon as I go away on holiday it has an issue. A friend is helping to look after it while I am away.

All of the RGB lights are out on it at the moment. My friends has tried to bypass board W6 thinking it was the first board in the string but no luck with that. So this makes me think it is an issue with the I/O board?

Anyone have any advice on what to check and how to get this up and running?

Cheers

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

So I have had my WOZ out on location for a few months now and it has been doing really well and not had any problems. Of course as soon as I go away on holiday it has an issue. A friend is helping to look after it while I am away.
All of the RGB lights are out on it at the moment. My friends has tried to bypass board W6 thinking it was the first board in the string but no luck with that. So this makes me think it is an issue with the I/O board?
Anyone have any advice on what to check and how to get this up and running?
Cheers

Call Frank or Victor at JJP
They will get u all fixed up
(732)-364-9900

Great support people!!

#3 7 years ago

JJP support is top notch as far as I've encountered. They'll take care of you.

#4 7 years ago

Is the game working and playing (including the LCD) other than the playfield lights not working?

#5 7 years ago

I have an email in to Frank. Phone access is challenging for me at the moment.

JJP has been good in the past. Different with a location game and wanting to get it up and running asap. It is quite popular and costs me a fair bit each week it is down.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Is the game working and playing (including the LCD) other than the playfield lights not working?

Yes just the lights.

#7 7 years ago

First thing to check, fuses.

#8 7 years ago

Not a fuse checked that.

#9 7 years ago

Is this an older game or one of the newer unified power supplied games?

#10 7 years ago

Older with atx supply.

#11 7 years ago

Make sure the connectors on the I/O board are seated (I believe J800, J802, J804, not sure if they are the same for the older games)

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Make sure the connectors on the I/O board are seated (I believe J800, J802, J804, not sure if they are the same for the older games)

Cheers I will pass that on to my friend looking at it. He knows Williams and sterns bit is new to jjp.

#13 7 years ago

Looking at it some more, J804 does not appear to be used, but J802 is for the RGB control signals. J800 is a mini-USB to USB connector per the manual.

#14 7 years ago

My friend will hopefully check connections tonight so we will see! I hope it is something that easy. I wish I was there myself to do this myself!

#15 7 years ago

Following this.Good luck with your issue.Hopefully it will be a simple fix.

#16 7 years ago

Usually its just a burned out light board, maybe 2. I had to replace quite a few of mine since 2013.

#17 7 years ago

I spoke with Frank. He suspects a bad board (w1 the most likely candidate). I didn't realise that a board could take out everything, I thought it was just the downstream boards but they can draw too much power so the lights will not work but not enough power that the fuse will go. My friend has not had a chance to look at it yet but hopefully today. Assuming I need to order parts I am going to stock up on a few boards as it costs too much to have it down waiting for parts to ship over to New Zealand. I will update but I am probably a couple weeks away from getting it fixed because of shipping.

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I spoke with Frank. He suspects a bad board (w1 the most likely candidate). I didn't realise that a board could take out everything, I thought it was just the downstream boards but they can draw too much power so the lights will not work but not enough power that the fuse will go. My friend has not had a chance to look at it yet but hopefully today. Assuming I need to order parts I am going to stock up on a few boards as it costs too much to have it down waiting for parts to ship over to New Zealand. I will update but I am probably a couple weeks away from getting it fixed because of shipping.

If one of the boards is bad you should be able to bypass it (with the jumpers and in the settings) to see if that solves the problem.

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If one of the boards is bad you should be able to bypass it (with the jumpers and in the settings) to see if that solves the problem.

Unless you have one or two in a row, and then the cables are not long enough to jump.

Quoted from clg:

I didn't realise that a board could take out everything

Happened to me weekly. The machine was down more than it was up. The boards are not cheap either. Shipping is what was killing me, as any profit the machine made, it went to paying to ship bad boards back, over and over. I asked if I could just get a complete replacement and only have to go to the location once instead of multiple times, but that wasn't how it worked. I had to wait for them to fail, then mail them, then wait, then install the new one ... then head down in 2 more days to try and bypass another dead board, ship it, wait ... gah. Buh-bye.

Good luck! Fun game.

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Unless you have one or two in a row, and then the cables are not long enough to jump.

Happened to me weekly. The machine was down more than it was up. The boards are not cheap either. Shipping is what was killing me, as any profit the machine made, it went to paying to ship bad boards back, over and over. I asked if I could just get a complete replacement and only have to go to the location once instead of multiple times, but that wasn't how it worked. I had to wait for them to fail, then mail them, then wait, then install the new one ... then head down in 2 more days to try and bypass another dead board, ship it, wait ... gah. Buh-bye.
Good luck! Fun game.

Sucks! If that keeps up I will pull it off location. It was fine for 2.5 years at home and about 2 months on location. It is earning really well so I want to keep it there but we will see!

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Somebody should sell a longer cable for jumping longer distances.

#22 7 years ago

Anyone have a closeup pic of one of these boards?

#24 7 years ago

I have the same problem with my Hobbit. JJP sent me a board. Im hoping it resolves the issue.

#25 7 years ago

So what on these light boards goes out that only JJP can fix?

#26 7 years ago

surface mount?

#27 7 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

So what on these light boards goes out that only JJP can fix?

The older boards need a little daughterboard added that prevents the board from burning out. All the ones I've swapped are replaced with another board that looks exactly the same except for the addition of a tiny (1.5" x 3/4" approx.) daughter board with a surface mount chip on it.

#28 7 years ago

Just curious about this myself. My RR woz once in a while doesn't start with any lights working. I turn it off and on and they work fine then. Is this common for any of you other woz owners?

#29 7 years ago

My RR is almost one year old and I'm not experiencing any light issues. I would check the connections.

#30 7 years ago

For those that are curious. Looks like a power supply issue and not the light boards. I am getting some parts from jjp but will not be home to install them for a couple weeks.

JJP and Frank have been good helping with the diagnosis and I Iearned a bit more about the system.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Just curious about this myself. My RR woz once in a while doesn't start with any lights working. I turn it off and on and they work fine then. Is this common for any of you other woz owners?

I have had this happen, I think its just a cold start on the PC, failed to initialize something.
It mostly happens to me when the wall power is weak.
Re-starting always fixes it.

#32 7 years ago

OK, that's what I was thinking too. It's only happened a few times, but twice recently. Thanks

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Yes. Mine has done that one time. I was told by Frank at jjp that it is probably some code related issue with the newest version. You just shut the machine of and power or back on.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from konghusker:

This has happened to me on occasion but on my WOZECLE. Maybe once out of every 15 times I turn it on. Turning it off, waiting 10 seconds, turning it back on has always worked for me. This seemed to happen after I swapped the power supply board RMA JJP had going on. I also had updated the code the same week so not sure which was responsible. But it's never been an issue that I feel was worth reporting but would like to know if there is a fix.

#35 7 years ago

Same here... Only on occasion, not a big deal, a code fix would be nice but in all honesty it really doesn't bother me even slightly.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Yes. Mine has done that one time. I was told by Frank at jjp that it is probably some code related issue with the newest version. You just shut the machine of and power or back on.

I was told by Vic that it is likely not code otherwise more people would be complaining. He suggested I move the USB plugs around in the back. It is too soon to tell if that worked.

For those of you who are having this problem, I would put a ticket in just so they are aware of it. I know it is too infrequent to care that much about, but I think they should know it is a common problem in case it can be fixed by code.

#37 7 years ago

The issue stems from noise in the power and data lines caused by static charges building up on the balls during play. Over a year ago JJP sent out static electricity isolating gaskets you would fit over the I/O shield of the PC case. Evidently this didn't isolate all problems. I also know at one point they replaced peoples' power supplies and sent out a new revision boards with a regulated 5v power source for each board piggybacked onto the power header. This seems to have solved the problem of boards freezing and failing due to voltage transients in the 5v power supply that drives the LED chain. I think the boards have little fuses that are soldered in? This terrible serial based design has been scrapped in favor of a parallel oriented data system in Hobbit and future games so if any boards fail on these it won't affect others in the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.95
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-lights-out-on-woz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.