• 13 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by FilthyRich
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Williams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 112a.pdf (PDF preview)
Williams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 148.pdf (PDF preview)
Williams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 150.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG-0674 (resized).jpg
IMG-0673 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Dirty Harry ----All lamps on Row 1 AND Column 1 are out. I was told this never really happens ---either a row is out or a column is out. But in my case, both row and column 1 are out.IMG-0674 (resized).jpgIMG-0674 (resized).jpg

When I lifted the playfield I found one connector that was melted (burned) through at the edge. See pic. I am thinking this means there is a short somewhere. Maybe that caused some issues elsewhere.IMG-0673 (resized).jpgIMG-0673 (resized).jpg

I am a novice ---so looking for some advice on where i should check first, second, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

First, figure out where all the wires on your connector #6 go.

It looks like the red wire is the one that melted - look closely at every component (switch, coil, lamp, circuit board) that wire feeds or is fed from.

Next thing to do is verify all your fuses are of the correct value. That thing burned for quite awhile.

Plan on replacing that connector and the pins in the connector AND the ones that the connector connects to.

From the snippet of the schematic, I can’t tell if the red wire is attached to the lamp matrix.

Work one problem at a time. Find the short first, repair it, verify fuses are correct, then look for lamp issues.

Others will chime in with advice, chose what you’re the most comfortable with and let us know progress.

#3 2 years ago

What’s the history before discovering the burnt connector? Was it working fine, and just quit? Or was any maintenance done previous to the column/row issue?

Hard to tell from pic, but looks like the color code wires don’t match up on either side of the connector. Red-violet and red-black(blue)? General rule of thumb from my own experience, is the manufacturer tries to stay with the same wire color, from connector at board, all the way to the last light/feature it’s intended for.

Has the connector been re-pinned recently, or other maintenance that would involve having to undo connectors in that area?

To me, looks like it laid against something else, and connector melted. But that’s from what I can view in the pic.

#4 2 years ago

I had an issue with my Addams family when I first bought it where one row and one column of lights were acting up. Someone on here said that if you have one row and one column with issues to first look at where they intersect on the matrix. I looked at that specific spot and it had a mod wire soldered to it. I removed that mod wire and it all worked fine. So for me it worked.

So for row 1 and column 1 that would be 11 left rollover. Don’t take this as expert advice. Just my own experience once.

#5 2 years ago

Just asking ---again---newbie in the house ----If you look at Column 1 in the light matrix--spot #11 is left rollover on the yellow-brown wire. Spot #12 on the column (next one down) is Middle Rollover. So are the lights daisy changed on that yellow brown wire in the order that they are shown on the matrix? IF so, does that mean the "Playfield Promo" light is the last light that is on that wire?

Would that mean then that the first one (left rollover) has the yellow brown wire that is coming from the driver board? Again...just trying to understand what the matrix means in terms of physical wiring under the playfield.

Final questions ----On the matrix --where it has Yellow Brown listed in first column ---It also designates this as J137-1 ---I was thinking that this meant this is the plug location on the driver board....ie. Plug J137 and pin #1. But when I go to the driver board ---this particular set of pins are not in use (and the manual also indicates that). There is an alternate set of pins (same setup as J137) but it is designated as J138. So I think this is just a mistake on the matrix. Am i correct on this? Ie it should say J138-1 instead of J137-1

Finally---what does the "Q98" ---in the column mean?

#6 2 years ago

To your question, yes, the wires will start from the J connector on the Power Driver Board. Row will start at connector J-134, column will start at J-137(8). Wires will daisy chain from board to components.

I would like to verify your picture above though, get better pic or just verify it. Are the wire colors going through that connector: yellow-black, red-violet, red-black(blue)? Just asking, as it may be wise to follow those wires from board to ending feature.

So to your example, the yellow-brown wire will go: J-137/8 > Left rollover > Middle Rollover > Right Rollover > Magnum Jets > ect... and ends at Playfield Promo.

Red-brown wire would go: J-133/4 > Left Rollover > Right Ramp Badge > Barroom Brawl > Safehouse Badge > ect... and ends at Silver Bullet.

The Qxx(Q98) is the transistor on the Power Driver Board, that is inline with the J connector wires mentioned. Usually they are very close to the area of the J connectors listed.

Williams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 148.pdfWilliams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 148.pdfWilliams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 150.pdfWilliams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 150.pdf

Williams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 112a.pdfWilliams_1995_Dirty_Harry_Manual 112a.pdf
#7 2 years ago

Very Helpful..Thank you friend.

On that connector that is burned ----the wire closest to the burn is Red-Blue. the one in the middle is Red Purple and end one is yellow brown.

#8 2 years ago

One other thing....as I was just fiddling behind the backbox ----again I notice that the strobe wires (called out in the matrix as connector J137) are acutally plugged into J138 AND Now i notice that the Return Wires (Red Row Wires) are actually plugged into J135 and NOT J134 as indicated on the matrix diagram.

I recall a number of instances where people say the schematics etc have errors etc....I am assuming this is the case here.

Do you agree?

#9 2 years ago

Before thinking about any of that, share the history of the pin, before this issue came up.
-Was it working fine before, and now not working?
-Did anyone else do any maintenance on it recently?
-Or has it not been working the entire time in your possession?

Need a better backstory of how the machine got to this point, of a column and row of lights being out.

There are some known misprints in manuals, I am not sure if this game is one of them.

Worst case(with machine powered off), you can try plugging them onto the board spots per the manual, and turn it on. Just in case, be prepared to shut it off right away.

There’s a chance they were plugged onto the wrong J spots at the board previously. But again, don’t know the backstory, if you or someone else has been working on the game. If so, what was done previous to this issue?

#10 2 years ago

sorry for late response.

No maintenance. No issues that i noticed, other than a few bulbs out.

I just thought..bulb replacement.

Thats when I noticed that the entire row and column were out.

I sent the board back to TNT ----they sold me the game 18 months ago. They think transistor on driver board may have blown. But said it was unusual to have both a column AND a row out at same time.

#11 2 years ago

You’ll still want to check that wiring for the row and column. If it did burn any of those, you should replace the pins and any connector that shows wear. If not, you’ll still probably be chasing issues after the board repair.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from dsupica:

One other thing....as I was just fiddling behind the backbox ----again I notice that the strobe wires (called out in the matrix as connector J137) are acutally plugged into J138 AND Now i notice that the Return Wires (Red Row Wires) are actually plugged into J135 and NOT J134 as indicated on the matrix diagram.
I recall a number of instances where people say the schematics etc have errors etc....I am assuming this is the case here.
Do you agree?

On the board both pairs are in parallel, so are interchangeable. ie J137 has the same connections as J138. Use either. Likewise for J134 and J135. Same connections. Use either.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from dsupica:

Just asking ---again---newbie in the house ----If you look at Column 1 in the light matrix--spot #11 is left rollover on the yellow-brown wire. Spot #12 on the column (next one down) is Middle Rollover. So are the lights daisy changed on that yellow brown wire in the order that they are shown on the matrix? IF so, does that mean the "Playfield Promo" light is the last light that is on that wire?
Would that mean then that the first one (left rollover) has the yellow brown wire that is coming from the driver board? Again...just trying to understand what the matrix means in terms of physical wiring under the playfield.

Yes, they are daisy-chained. No, they are not necessarily in that order. The matrix is not to show order of lights, but to shows connections. Indeed, occasionally the lights may be in the correct order but this is not intended. If you wish to find the order, physically follow each coloured wire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

6,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

Machine - For Sale
Clovis, NM
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 125.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-lights-in-a-row-and-all-lights-in-a-column-are-out?hl=ktuhde and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.