8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Mocean
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

I've been working on a total re-theme project over the past year (Demo Man) and have been investigating pinball controllers and other hardware mods that enhance an old pin. I am primarily a visual artist and don't really have a lot of experience programming but this is the perfect way for me to learn a few things. I have in mind that the PROC and pinsound and led OCD and whatever else could all be put onto one board and be programmed on one application. Is this a foolish assumption? There seems to be a market for this sort of thing out there as a all inclusive homebrew pinball platform. Or how about a programmable SAM board?

#2 8 years ago

The downside to that is when that board fails. It will mean you need to be capable of board-level repair, pay someone who is or replace the entire, probably expensive, board. Modular design limits that risk. You can, or will "soon" be able to, program on one platform wit Mission Pinball's framework. They support P-ROC and FAST hardware with controllers, drivers and lamp/LED capability along with new support for the Fade Candy LED board.

#3 8 years ago

The P-ROC board will provide you with a clean slate and if you go that route you will have the ability to change everything including the sounds and light shows and, as such, you would not need the pinsound or led ocd boards. Again, to be clear, you do not need those other two if you have a p-roc!

The p-roc connects directly to any WPC machine (pre-fliptronics through wpc-95) replacing the MPU and interfacing directly to the switch matrix, dmd, and existing driver boards in that architecture.

Once you have replaced your MPU with the proc, you connect the proc to any sort of controller pc via usb (where that can be as small as a beaglebone black, raspberry pi, or small system on a chip linux or windows system --or a full fledged machine running windows, OS X or linux). Sound will come from the PC. You may interface to the existing dmd via the proc or you can replace your dmd with an lcd display and go with a full display update as well.

There are several software platforms for game development on the p-roc: pyprocgame, PyprocgameHD+SkeletonGame, and the aforementioned MPF.

MPF remains in its early stages but there are several complete rethemed or "continued" games built on PyProcGame including cactus canyon continued, BoP2, F14 second sortie, and Earthshaker aftershock. Buffy, Pinbot 2.0 and some other unannounced rethemed/continued's all run on PyProcGameHD. There are projects on MPF, but I'm not familiar with them.

Oh and if you're running a proc you can also run pinmame to emulate the original ROMs and play the original game on your machine while you're developing your game, so it won't require a board swap while you're programming your own game.

If you want to learn about proc programming, head over to the forums at pinballcontrollers.com; that's likely your best bet. Check out all the projects there:
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0

I have a site I maintain for PyprocgameHD+SkeletonGame, which is http://pinballprogramming.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-inclusive-procpinduinopinsound and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.