(Topic ID: 285431)

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from Pinball...

By jrdjhnson

19 days ago

Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 19 days ago by Chisox
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 19 days ago

Here are the rules:
    • This post is inspired by “all I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten,” but is the PINBALL edition…
    • Pick one (or more) of the rules (in bold), or share your own life lesson, and tell how you learned the lesson from Pinball!!!

1. Share Everything:
    I bought my first pin in the mid 2000’s when I lived in Seattle from JTaudio. No idea what to expect, but Jerry had an awesome collection of (what I remember) to be 20+ pins… He insisted I play anything I wanted—and he had then, as I am sure he has today, many “A” titles—even though I was there to buy a lowly RBION he had acquired from an operator with shattered glass all over the PF. Jerry was awesome… I think we hung out for a few hours playing pinball on all his games—he didn’t care if I bought game I came to see or not—he loved Pinball, and was happy another pinhead was there… And many of my early pin buying experiences were the same. When I bought from a large (or small!!!) collector, they switched on all their games, and insisted I play with them. They shared. And it was awesome. Now that I have something respectable (and even when I didn’t) I try to do the same!!! When you are selling a game… Invite the person to play your other games!!!
    2. Play Fair:

I have had the really good fortune of living in some great pinball regions, the PNW, and the MSP area… I can remember when I first went to LTG ‘s place (S&S billiards), I had (only what I can assume to be a rare) malfunction on his BBB which he had switched on. Told Lloyd I lost two quarters… He added 4 credits to the game as consolation. Mom was impressed at how “fair” that was!!! I brought my Mom with me on that trip who was in town visiting (she loved Pinball) and I remember she told Lloyd about my Pinball collection which included CV… Lloyd chatted her up for an hour about that game (something about the ringmaster, and the games history), and all the way home she talked about how she met a pinball legend. Mom passed this last year, and to this day I don’t know what the F* Lloyd told her… But remains one of my favorite pinball memories . Mom went on about how cool it was to have met Lloyd until she passed…

3. Don’t hit people

Holy crap… I have lived all over the place… In 2017 I went to Zapcon in AZ (I lived in Phoenix) and remember seeing two kids get into a fight (moving to blows) over who got to a MoCap boxing game first… Real deal, was about to go to blows, when some PinHead stepped in (not their parents, who were notably absent) and convinced these kids to settle it over a game of Stargate (pinball)… Convinced the kids winner was the “right” one… My wife and I laughed our asses off evertime we saw the kids, because we never saw them on another vid… Only Pinball the rest of the evening!!!

4. Put things back where you found them
    Lived in MSP where Big Al (retiring in 2020) had Action Amusement, “the” pinball retailer in the MSP area. You walked into “Pinball Warehouse” where Al would switch on all his games with one rule… “Finish anything you start!!!” “Play all you want, but don’t leave balls on a bunch of games!!!!” One time, a noob walked in and walked away on ball two of TOTAN… To this day, I pity the fool…. Thanks Al!!!!
    5. Clean up your own mess

My wife loves pinball… She is 5’2”, and petite, and gets super heated when she looses a ball, often smacking the glass with her tiny hands, leaving prints on the glass. Went to the Seattle Pinball convention with her in early 2K’s… Recall (a world ranked Pinball collector and dealer) stepping up to the Funhouse my wife had just played, exclaiming “why the F* is this glass so nasty!!!! Clean up your glass!!!!” “There are kids handprints everywhere!!!”

Clean up your glass!!! Still laughing my a$$ off on that…

6. Don’t take things that aren’t yours
    I love all arcade games… Darts included. Cut my teeth playing on a Cougar 8, which had the slots for “next game” quarters on the machine… For those of you that don’t know, if you want to play darts (or any other coin-op—at least where I played—throw some cash on the glass, and the next game is yours). Pinball life sells some “golden sac racks” for Pinball which reflect this idea. Anyway, saw a kid who was occupying a game try to pocket some quarters on a pinball glass once while a Hells angel (wearing a vest) was enjoying some Getaway HS2 at a bar in Wichita… bad move man. Bad move. Don’t take things which aren’t yours…
    Love this hobby, and all the awesome people that are in it!!!
    Let’s hear it. What life lessons have you learned from Pinball???

#2 19 days ago

Well I refuse to walk away from or turn off a pin following a horrible game. Just like in life, you can’t quit. Hit that start button and play better.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 219.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 169.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 65.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Texas Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 26.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 5,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 24.00
    $ 10.00
    $ 7.90
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 26.95
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 66.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 8.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 28.00
    Lighting - Led
    Arcade Upkeep
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside