Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A4358E59-66E0-4487-B50B-EC7608903E18 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Just putting this out there because I'd never had all the GI die at the same time on a modern Stern with LED lighting and wanted to put the solution here in case someone else runs across this to save them time.

The Metallica Premium I maintain on route lost all GI. It wasn't a fuse, but seemed to be oxidation on the power connector under the playfield where the LED control board in the middle of the PF underside is, or a loose connection. Removing and re-inserting the 2-wire red/black power cable next to the RJ-11 connector (phone-looking cable) on that under playfield board brought back the GI.

EDIT: This happened again, and removing and re-installing the 2-wire red/black power cable by itself brought the GI back again, so that's most-likely the only point of failure here.

#3 7 years ago

Good information, thanks!

#4 7 years ago

Yep, My star trek premium had the same problem and same fix.

2 weeks later
#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the info. Met Premium GI now back on. That was a quick fix!

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Thanks for the info. Met Premium GI now back on. That was a quick fix!

It happened again on the one I maintain on route, so you'll probably need a longer-term solution. Likely I'll replace the connector that may be oxidized (but in less than a year??) and clean the two prongs it slides on to. I'm 98% sure it's a WPC era oxidation issue like you would see on the stressed GI connectors of WPC machines, but it's weird to see it on a LED board power lead that's 20+ years newer. I need to check the voltage to see how much they sending down that connector.

EDIT: Yes, the connector pin 1 was discolored (brown) and oxidized. This after only about 8 months! I didn't have my meter to check the voltage, but they must be sending quite a lot down that wire. Replaced the connector and all is good again.

2 weeks later
#7 7 years ago

So a little follow up on this. The connector on this was the insulation displacement type where you slide the wires down and it cuts into them, making contact. This connector is known by Stern to cause these issues and was SUPPOSED to be replaced at the factory in new builds with Trifurcon connectors, but they didn't do it, so this issue may crop up for others before long, especially on route or if they leave it on a long time at home.

3 years later
#8 3 years ago

This post helped me.... thank you!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from bayoubilly70:

This post helped me.... thank you!

Awesome. Glad it's still helping after all these years.

2 years later
#10 1 year ago

So, all of my GI lights are out on my Metallica as well. I tried the plug fix and that did not fix it. Any other recommendations? All the fuses have red lights lit as well.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollon:

So, all of my GI lights are out on my Metallica as well. I tried the plug fix and that did not fix it. Any other recommendations? All the fuses have red lights lit as well.

Did you replace the connector? Even if you clean the pins on the board it plugs on to the connector, the connector receptacles may be too oxidized to conduct power.

1 week later
#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Apollon:

Mine just stopped working as well. I disconnected the topper and when I turned the game on, I had no GI and can't get to the menu because it doesn't power up enough. The coffin lights up and the light in the back box powers up but nothing else. Any help???

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from BZarrCaptain:

Mine just stopped working as well. I disconnected the topper and when I turned the game on, I had no GI and can't get to the menu because it doesn't power up enough. The coffin lights up and the light in the back box powers up but nothing else. Any help???

Did you check the connector that often causes this issue from too much power through a connector not rated for the load?

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the connector that often causes this issue from too much power through a connector not rated for the load?

Thanks for the reply. Is that the connector that goes into the board in the center under the playfield? The connector next to the phone line type connector?
I re-pinned that one, but I'm not sure how to check if the connector is good.

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from BZarrCaptain:

Thanks for the reply. Is that the connector that goes into the board in the center under the playfield? The connector next to the phone line type connector?
I re-pinned that one, but I'm not sure how to check if the connector is good.

Repinned before or after the GI failed?

Is the displacement connector plastic yellowed or browned? If yes, you probably need a new displacement connector. If you have a multi meter you can also check to make sure that there is voltage arriving from that connector and it isn't a blown fuse in the backbox instead.

3 weeks later
#16 1 year ago

My fuses are good .Does anyone know where to order this displacement connector .Thought it would be in Met prem parts but no luck finding yet .Apreciate any help

A4358E59-66E0-4487-B50B-EC7608903E18 (resized).jpegA4358E59-66E0-4487-B50B-EC7608903E18 (resized).jpeg
#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

My fuses are good .Does anyone know where to order this displacement connector .Thought it would be in Met prem parts but no luck finding yet .Apreciate any help
[quoted image]

It's a part common to a lot of Stern pins so it wouldn't be under just Metallica, although given that this is a common failure point, maybe it should be.

You just want a 3 pin displacement connector from pinballlife.com. The only variable is if that's 18 or 22 gauge wire, because that's two different connectors. You don't want one that's too big for the wires or the wires might not stay put.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Kkoss24:

[quoted image]

What’s the issue with the connector? Looks it’s .156. Better to use pinned connectors. I have .156 connectors and could provide you with two pinned wires if you want.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What’s the issue with the connector? Looks it’s .156. Better to use pinned connectors. I have .156 connectors and could provide you with two pinned wires if you want.

I remember when this happened the first time some months ago , I had just put the wrong fuse in to repair but found out I needed a delay fuse I believe either way it’s correct now I triple checked on it .I cleaned the pins real good now but not getting anything .I really appreciate the offer but I have to get this part soon I got some league guys coming over Either fri/sat to jamb out I’m just going to drive out to PL tomorrow since it’s not far from work

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I know what your saying though .Shoukd be easy enough to re wire .Just don’t have that kind of wire or connectors here .

4 months later
#22 10 months ago

This happened again.... The connector looks fine, but I guess I should replace it? The male pins on the board as shiny as can be, and the IDC housing is nice and white and clean.

Fuses good.

How do I measure power across this connector?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 25.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.95
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-gi-out-on-metallica-led-solution and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.