IMG_1561 (resized).JPG
IMG_1560 (resized).JPG
IMG_1555 (resized).JPG
IMG_1559 (resized).JPG
IMG_1556 (resized).JPG
IMG_1554 (resized).JPG
IMG_1552 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I was playing a game on my Metallica LE when all the GI lights went out, no pop, or loud noise. I thought they just went out for a mode, but never came back on. I have checked all the fuses F1-F4. I took them off individually and they all tested good. I get all red LED on the board which should mean that all fuses are OK. F1-F13. I took of the connector to the left (J15?) with the green/white-green and tested the plug. I get 5.5v out of it and at the connector below the playfield. It seems to go to the coin door and that is working. I tested a different bulb to make sure all my GI lights weren't fried. The good bulb does not work either so I am losing power to the playfield for all my GI somewhere. Everything looks good, but obviously it itsn't. I have no more ideas after several hours of searching. Any ideas/help??? Thanks in advance...

IMG_1552 (resized).JPGIMG_1552 (resized).JPG

IMG_1554 (resized).JPGIMG_1554 (resized).JPG

IMG_1556 (resized).JPGIMG_1556 (resized).JPG

IMG_1559 (resized).JPGIMG_1559 (resized).JPG

IMG_1555 (resized).JPGIMG_1555 (resized).JPG

IMG_1560 (resized).JPGIMG_1560 (resized).JPG

IMG_1561 (resized).JPGIMG_1561 (resized).JPG

IMG_1563 (resized).JPGIMG_1563 (resized).JPG

IMG_1562 (resized).JPGIMG_1562 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

With your meter, are you checking voltages on DC to ground ? Or AC hot to common ? Should be AC hot to common.

Then with your meter I'd follow from board, along the way through every connector until you hit sockets on the playfield.

Also I'd check with Stern if GI is going through that small relay, it may have an issue.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

I was checking AC white/green as common, and green as positive. i just checked with common to ground braid on inside of cabinet and get 0 at J15 pin, but 23.5 at back of playfield???

IMG_1564 (resized).JPGIMG_1564 (resized).JPG

IMG_1565 (resized).JPGIMG_1565 (resized).JPG

#4 7 years ago

Check and reseat the cat5 (or cat6 whatever it is) cable running back to the CPU board. The Met LE GI is all controlled and has a data line. If you lose the data, the lights will freeze in their last controlled state, which may have been off. The data cable is a known weak link and a lot of times reseating it and/or getting a new one from Stern fixes the problem.

#5 7 years ago

thanks. tried reseating cat5/6 cable but still not working. called Stern tech support. they want me to take off the LED board and try it in a friends game. luckily i have a friend close by and can try tomorrow.

#6 7 years ago

called Stern tech. they had me try my LED board on a friends game and my board is found to be the culpriut. Going to try and call Stern for a replacement. I'm a few weeks out of warranty (12 months). Hopefully they can replace it and I won't have to pay for a new board ($120-$150).

#7 7 years ago

Yay. Stern is sending me a replacement even though I'm a few weeks past my 12 month warranty! Thank you Stern!

IMG_1568 (resized).JPGIMG_1568 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

11,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lubbock, TX
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 68.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.95
$ 26.50
$ 12.95
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-gi-lights-went-out-during-game-metallic-le-not-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.