Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MJW
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Picked up an 'as is' twilight zone the other week, its fairly solid, but previous owner had added a lot of mods (alligatr clips everywhere!) and was pretty dirty playfield wise. It powered up when i viewed it and was not on legs, so i just flipped it once and did the deal.

Got it home and there was a multitude of issues - firstly it wouldn't even boot after transport. Redid connectors and pins J101, J102 and replaced MPU (old battery damage), and some of the 12V plugs J118 etc, then got it booting and playing. However ALL the flippers are really weak - not that weak that its like only the hold coil is working, but weak enough that its almost impossible to get up a ramp.

I have verified all EOS only activate right at the end of stroke. All flippers/plungers move freely and have inspected some of them and plunger and link are in good condition, along with coil stop with no burring or wear. I have also cleaned the cabinet opto switches with windex - all of the above with no change.

So it leads me to think its a power issue. The flippers have 50V going to all 3 lugs, however all other coils have 73V. The power driver board at J104 has 50VAC going to fliptronics board. The fliptronics board had been replaced by previous owner with a rottendog one. Is it normal that the flippers have only 50V rather than around 70V going ot them, and would this cause all flippers to be weak?

Any other suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

Not under load should be higher than 50 volts.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Sounds like partial open bridge on fliptronic board.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Not under load should be higher than 50 volts.
LTG : )

So do you think it is more likely a fliptronics board issue (will swap it when i get home), or a power driver board issue - if power driver board, will have to look at the diagram to work out where that supply comes from.

#5 4 years ago

A partially blown slow blow fuse for the flippers might giver you those symptoms. Easy to check.

#6 4 years ago

Driver board is seperate from supplying power to flippers.

#7 4 years ago

OK, put an original fliptronics board in from BSD, and flippers are now back to nice and strong!

Be nice to try and work out the source of the problem on the rottendog fliptronics board. The 4 diodes (no bridge) test OK in circuit and fuses have around 0.5 ohms resistance.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from robm:

OK, put an original fliptronics board in from BSD, and flippers are now back to nice and strong!
Be nice to try and work out the source of the problem on the rottendog fliptronics board. The 4 diodes (no bridge) test OK in circuit and fuses have around 0.5 ohms resistance.

Wish I would have kept my original fliptronics board. I have two Rottendog and seems like they always have issues. Fuse clips,transistors. Thought I was upgrading years ago.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 79.50
Machine - For Sale
Bradenton, FL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Canfield, OH
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 132.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.95
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

8,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-flippers-weak-wpc-twilight-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.