Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 205 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Frax
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr evil (resized).jpg
    tumblr_p000k8HKdG1uphxvgo1_500.gif
    3DD6EF43-1306-4D72-89F1-60D9470A50CB.gif
    download.png
    1416.jpg
    AA75BA62-7A88-4071-86F6-623B36CFA277 (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    02227B09-9390-483D-8C8C-87414E635E00 (resized).jpeg
    584F5A3A-A791-45C8-95F5-A4F82DADA4A3 (resized).jpeg
    make-it-rain-lil-wayne.gif

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
    #1 2 years ago

Get ready to pay a monthly fee to access all the features of your $11,500 machine.

From the article:

All-Access Connected is a subscription version of the experience, focused on providing additional player features along with behind-the-scenes development stuff, early access, special events and quests. In the future, we intend to create exclusive game extensions, such as special access to new modes or new rules and features to increase the All-Access Connected value.

https://www.replaymag.com/stern-pinball-insider-connected-0921/

#2 2 years ago

Good thing we are all made of money. Unfortunately, seems to be the trend.

make-it-rain-lil-wayne.gifmake-it-rain-lil-wayne.gif
    #3 2 years ago

I’m 100% sure that in the future automatic game updates will also put (important) game features behind the paywall.

If you can spend 11K on a game, 200/year you can also afford.

However I don’t like this because you loose control. The 200/year becomes 500 and then all of a sudden game features are stripped because you didn’t pay…

Everybody laughed at RAZA for the same idea, yet the Godzilla LE sold out in a few hours

#4 2 years ago

Was this not obvious from the beginning. Also it's not ransomware they are not going to move existing features behind the paywall.

#5 2 years ago

I can't wait until they start making you pay to unlock physical features. "Only $9.99 a month to unlock the sinking building in Godzilla!"

#6 2 years ago

edit: never mind

#7 2 years ago

Could always boycott.

I’m not buying JJP now because the pf’s are a crapshoot.

If this is like modes that are unique to being connective that are behind paywall that makes sense. But if it’s like modes like Escape on JP behind a paywall to squeeze more money then that’s boycott worthy.

Jury for me is still out on this.

#8 2 years ago

As I read that statement, I think it means that those people who are already subscribing to the Stern Insider program ($40/yr) will receive exclusive access to additional Insider Connected features like events, quests & modes on various machines.

So it's just incentive to sign up for their yearly Insider program. I don't interpret that to mean an eventual mandatory paywall for every player. But who knows?

#9 2 years ago

Some of this has already started with an additional mode if you buy the topper.

What scares me is the types of things that they could sell and people will buy into. I really can't believe what people (including my kids) are willing to pay for "skins" for online video games. Will we get real licensed videos if we subscribe? Will there be in game purchase following?

#10 2 years ago

Pinball machines - like refrigerators - should not be connected to the internet.

#11 2 years ago

That's some serious bu**$hit. Nothing good comes from internet enabled pins.

#12 2 years ago

Well, the topper modes are stupid... so if it's stuff like that knock yourself out Stern!

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Get ready to pay a monthly fee to access all the features of your $11,500 machine.
    From the article:
    All-Access Connected is a subscription version of the experience, focused on providing additional player features along with behind-the-scenes development stuff, early access, special events and quests. In the future, we intend to create exclusive game extensions, such as special access to new modes or new rules and features to increase the All-Access Connected value.
    https://www.replaymag.com/stern-pinball-insider-connected-0921/

Best thing to do is not sign up.

Most NIB sales are going to home arcades and I cannot see too many people that own these home arcades signing up. My wife and I do not want this, I feel it is the start of pay to play. That is why we have no arcade machines in our games room as most of them are monthly subscription and pay per usage. Not for us. Going forward, if Stern make it so you must have the package to play and unlock code etc, etc we would seriously rethink purchasing the game in the first place. We love that none of our machines are connected to the internet.

I believe that 80% of Stern sales are going into private arcades. I get that internet connectivity will work for players, operators and public arcades. It could be a good thing to entice the younger generations into playing pinball. Hopefully Stern will cater for everyone. We are a ten year repeat customer and intend to continue buying games. If would be a real shame to spoil this relationship.

#14 2 years ago

Juuuust waiting for a hacker team to find a way into these machines, and turn them into DDOS clients or worse.

#15 2 years ago

wonder what a child does to play if they don't have a phone and then can't scan / log in

#16 2 years ago

Everything is going to a subscription based model these days. I don't like it, but this was only a matter of time.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

wonder what a child does to play if they don't have a phone and then can't scan / log in

play as a non-insider until they get old enough to add it

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

They just put their money in the game and play. Like it is now.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

They just put their money in the game and play. Like it is now.

what about the home, I know my kids would like to track their own progress etc

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

I am not sure yet mate.. Try the link.

https://insider.sternpinball.com/insider

#21 2 years ago

A subscription service seems ridiculous at first glance. If done poorly it will generate bad feelings towards the company and possibly not much revenue. If done right people might actually like it. Execution and perception of value will be very important.

What sort of content updates would STERN give a pinball? We already expect bug fixes and completed code, but if I had to pay extra for that I would be pissed.

However if you got access to entirely new game modes and rule sets and new media packages, then $20 a month doesn't sound so bad. People will pay $200 for a new sculpt in a game, so why not $200 for whole new code base?

Ultimately they are going to try and get more from the whales however they can. Whether it's subscriptions, toppers, ever-climbing LE prices, it won't stop until they've taken every last $ off the table.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

However if you got access to entirely new game modes and rule sets and new media packages, then $20 a month doesn't sound so bad. People will pay $200 for a new sculpt in a game, so why not $200 for whole new code base?

What kind of entire new base code are you going to get? You think there's an whole new set of Infiniti stone rules they didn't use laying around?
    Bunch of new modes for Star Wars...does it need anymore, do I care if it has more?
    They don't have enough video to make multiple drain vids, should we expect all new modes?

#23 2 years ago

They just need to make it clear to customers what it is. Just saying they may or may not do something doesn’t really mean shit. Look at the QR codes on Transfoemers, those were used as a selling point and then nada.

If I buy a 7-12k game it should be clearly stated as to what is and what is not included in that purchase.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlippyD:

A subscription service seems ridiculous at first glance. If done poorly it will generate bad feelings towards the company and possibly not much revenue. If done right people might actually like it. Execution and perception of value will be very important.
    What sort of content updates would STERN give a pinball? We already expect bug fixes and completed code, but if I had to pay extra for that I would be pissed.
    Ultimately they are going to try and get more from the whales however they can. Whether it's subscriptions, toppers, ever-climbing LE prices, it won't stop until they've taken every last $ off the table.

The subscription is $40 a year, not a monthly thing.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

That’s the cost for the subscription for the Insider connected game content?

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

For now.

#27 2 years ago

We all saw this coming. Just don’t buy in. Done.

I’m also not paying for a watermelon static toy Godzilla machine for only a modest price increase.

I’m a pinball collector…not the demographic they’re shooting for.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

That’s the cost for the subscription for the Insider connected game content?

Yeah, it's just Stern Insider All Access and that is being converted to Stern Insider Connected All Access. Just like the Spooky Fang Club, for the $39, you get a Stern merch package once per year.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Everything is going to a subscription based model these days. I don't like it, but this was only a matter of time.

Agree - it's happening everywhere. Not just pinball. Even my own compnany has gone from perpetual licenses to monthly 'leases', a la Adobe.

#30 2 years ago

This is the “Superpin” feature that Bally/Williams would have salivated over back in the 90’s…

#31 2 years ago
    584F5A3A-A791-45C8-95F5-A4F82DADA4A3 (resized).jpeg584F5A3A-A791-45C8-95F5-A4F82DADA4A3 (resized).jpeg
    #32 2 years ago

EMs are looking better and better!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

As I read that statement, I think it means that those people who are already subscribing to the Stern Insider program ($40/yr) will receive exclusive access to additional Insider Connected features like events, quests & modes on various machines.
    So it's just incentive to sign up for their yearly Insider program. I don't interpret that to mean an eventual mandatory paywall for every player. But who knows?

That's what I took from it... was "uh, isn't Insider Connected what I already pay $40/year for?"

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Coyote:

Juuuust waiting for a hacker team to find a way into these machines, and turn them into DDOS clients or worse.

Unfounded. You don’t browse the web with this, open email or port forward to it. There’s 0 attack surface other than Stern’s servers. Say you do get infected, which you won’t, DDOS ya, that’s possible with a TCP/IP stack but there’s really nothing worse. Just… reformat your flash card and put latest code on it - all attacks muted. I mean, if you want to pay 1 BTC to save your high scores, but you can back those up too.

#35 2 years ago

Best thing to do is not sign up.
    Most NIB sales are going to home arcades and I cannot see too many people that own these home arcades signing up. My wife and I do not want this, I feel it is the start of pay to play. That is why we have no arcade machines in our games room as most of them are monthly subscription and pay per usage. Not for us. Going forward, if Stern make it so you must have the package to play and unlock code etc, etc we would seriously rethink purchasing the game in the first place. We love that none of our machines are connected to the internet.
    I believe that 80% of Stern sales are going into private arcades. I get that internet connectivity will work for players, operators and public arcades. It could be a good thing to entice the younger generations into plating pinball. Hopefully Stern will cater for everyone. We are a ten year repeat customer and intend to continue buying games. If would be a real shame to spoil this relationship.

While your concerns are real, and I ponder on them as well, being in leadership IT positions for over 15 years, I also frankly don’t see it happening. This is coming from someone who never signed up for FB, and definitely understands subscription-creep. And what HUO arcade machines are MRC? Never seen such a thing and my 4800-in-1 sure isn’t.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from swinks:

You can just print out their QR code and laminate it.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from chickenscratch:

Unfounded. You don’t browse the web with this, open email or port forward to it. There’s 0 attack surface other than Stern’s servers. Say you do get infected, which you won’t, DDOS ya, that’s possible with a TCP/IP stack but there’s really nothing worse. Just… reformat your flash card and put latest code on it - all attacks muted. I mean, if you want to pay 1 BTC to save your high scores, but you can back those up too.

Now pondering on this further. My actual real concern is so, and I don't know if it's possible as I don't know Stern's power and PCB control system or API. But... assuming those are accessible in some way, I'd be much-much more worried about Stern's server being taken over, bad code thrown down that throws up wonky-high voltages to the node controllers and fries them all. Now... also not going to happen, as we're not 20 years ago where people hacked for lulz, there's 0 money in doing this. But there's one potential caveat: a form of ransomware against Stern, ala "we control your servers, you move, flinch, turn our access off, etc. and our kill-switch automatically times out and fries all of your customers node boards." That's... I can't think of any other concern to be honest.

#38 2 years ago

Still wondering if u connected your new stern to the internet and have modified code on your machine.... will bad things possibly happen ....is it even possible for stern to detect and possibly do something about it?

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Still wondering if u connected your new stern to the internet and have modified code on your machine.... will bad things possibly happen ....is it even possible for stern to detect and possibly do something about it?

I would sure think they could, no reason they couldn't. This is a real concern, much more so than hackers, or sub-creep.

Edit: But I think a bunch of pissed off pinheads would be the ones that turn this over to court and finally rule in favor that "your hardware, your code," whereas non-technical farmers that can't even self-repair their John Deer shit don't put up a fuss. I say let's do it, try us Stern. Hopefully they're smart enough to know it's such a niche, that it's only alienating their biggest fans/customers.

#40 2 years ago

While your concerns are real, and I ponder on them as well, being in leadership IT positions for over 15 years, I also frankly don’t see it happening. This is coming from someone who never signed up for FB, and definitely understands subscription-creep. And what HUO arcade machines are MRC? Never seen such a thing and my 4800-in-1 sure isn’t.

Nearly everything in our lives is connected to the internet, even new cars. I love the old school of Pinball and chasing the silver ball. We are going to leave it like that. Technology is not always the answer, especially in this hobby.

#41 2 years ago

Nearly everything in our lives is connected to the internet, even new cars. I love the old school of Pinball and chasing the silver ball. We are going to leave it like that. Technology is not always the answer, especially in this hobby.

I fully agree, but I also understand writing on the wall and you have to move, embrace change, or you lose

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

You can just print out their QR code and laminate it.

Or have their QR codes tattooed about their person somewhere.

#43 2 years ago

Attention 1990's B&W DMD owners, your games have now just increased in value again. =)

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from solarvalue:

Or have their QR codes tattooed about their person somewhere.

I want my QR code to only work with new-run IMDN's so I have the Mark of the Beast

#45 2 years ago

And the peasants rejoiced...

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

And the peasants rejoice...

And the peasants who think they're not, hold to their crotchety ways and ultimately support the lords by voting against themselves out of misunderstanding and fear...

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Attention 1990's B&W DMD owners, your games have just increased in value again. =)

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

I can't wait until they start making you pay to unlock physical features. "Only $9.99 a month to unlock the sinking building in Godzilla!"

You can either hit the left spinner 100,000 times to unlock one pop bumper or you can spend $9.99 on a loot box that has a .01% chance of containing a solenoid activation….

#49 2 years ago

Sorry, but wrong - with it connected to the internet, even while connected via VPN, there is a surface area. Ethernet chips (the base hardware) have been known to have security flaws, and who knows how the software would handle a DDoS attack on it - you send it millions of pings a second, will the software crash? Or slow down? Someone playing a game and it suddenly reboots? And who knows what the game's software is doing monitoring ports and incoming packets.

Stern's servers are ONE of the surface areas. There are PLENTY of others.

#50 2 years ago

“Where’s the code?!”
    “Pay us more”
    “Well….fuck”

There are 205 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-access-connected-stern-monthly-fee-for-some-online-features-?hl=spelunk71 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.