• Latest reply 10 years ago by snaroff
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_8406.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys,

What an awesome game! I just picked up a Gnr and am looking to make it a really excellent example (more so than it already is!). I've been reading the members only thread and was finding it difficult to get all the info in one spot so maybe we can put it all here for everyone to reference? Below I have some info I am sure of and some I am seeking from you guys.

-Pf Lighting: I'd like to fully LED the machine (Cointaker) and install cold cathode tube (CCT) in some areas of the pf like the rails. How do you hook up the CCT exactly? Where to tap into the GI, or lamp socket(s), through what part of the pf can the wire go through, etc.? Where have you guys sourced this wire and how have you mounted the CCT to the wire rails in the past (trying to avoid unsightly zip ties)? Maybe with hot glue? Anyone have pics they can add? I saw a sweet T2 with blue CCT installed and it looked amazing.

-Coils: strong enough to launch ball from flipper up both G and R ramps. I'm not totally sure what the story is here. Are all original coils just not strong enough by design or does this happen as they age/wear? I've read of some people removing some of the windings of the existing coil somehow but what about the model number of the stronger one? Does the stronger one pose danger to breaking plastics?

-Snake Mod: is this just a CCT installed underneath the snake? How to install?

-Slash Mod: there are 3 Slash figures online and there is apparently some lane plastic drilling needed to mount one...why not double sided tape or 3M hanging strips to attach Slash so he stands up properly.
-the 6.5" tall Macfarlane figure in 2 packages: one with Slash leaning back jamming out on his guitar, and one with him in the exact same position but with two amps included (deluxe package?). Approx Cost = $100-175 shipped.
-the 4" Super Stars Slash figure with Slash standing upright playing the guitar. This figure has less detail than the above Macfarlane figure and is slightly smaller, but is 4" big enough (not in your personal life!)? Approx Cost = $22-50 shipped.
-10" Macfarlane Guitar Hero Slash figure. I don't feel it goes well with the GNR pin as the game came out much later and the figure seems too tall at 10". Approx Cost = $50 shipped.

-Axl Mod: is there one? Only figure I can find is a bobble head that probably won't work.

-Car Mod: 3" collectible GNR Johnny Lightning Ford Mustang car can be found on eBay. Some have mounted it inside the G ramp. Approx Cost = $20 shipped.

-Rose Mod: attaching mini red metal roses to the wire rails (some have the rails powder coated green first as an option). Not sure if these are the right ones but I found some available at Retro Cafe Art in 6, 8, and 12 mm sizes here: http://www.retrocafeart.com/item_4597/Mini-Metal-Roses-Set-of-6--Red.htm

-Pop bumpers: some have added some cool colored bumper caps with lighting underneath cap. Where to find and how to wire?

-Speaker troubleshooting and upgrade: some seem to experience a hum in Data East games. Apparently upgrading to Pinballpro speakers fixes this. Is there a specific type of speaker and/or sub to use?

-Powder coating: recommendations for best color and finish? What stage powder coat is recommended? 1, 2, or 3-stage?

-Topper: value of original topper? Reproduction toppers are available at Pinball Life for $150.

-Undercab lighting: what packages are recommended and how do you install? Both wiring and attaching to cabinet in a way that doesn't damage or alter the cabinet.

-Flipper buttons: maybe add some flashing buttons from Cointaker. How are these installed?

-Leg protectors: Red or Green would look great on the standard black or chrome legs. Can get anywhere for $15-20. Remember to add the felt underneath the legs and leg protectors!

-Cliffy protectors: a must for the Axl hole, but what about the ramp and trap door protectors? Even if the G ramp isn't broken?

-G and R ramps: any way to light them up better? They look mostly dark throughout the game.

-Alternate translites: find on eBay for $100? I personally like the original back glass but hot girls on the alternate don't make it bad either.

-Custom pinballs: Backalley Creations makes custom pinballs for $6-7 available from Marco Spec. Any recommendations for this rock pin?

-Mirror blades: I feel like they would look cool on this pin.

-Rev3: what is this exactly and how do you get & install it?

-Other suggestions: any other cool ideas for tricking out your cabinet, pf, etc.? Other mods? Anything I missed?

-Availability/FS/FT: finally, if anyone has any of the above and are looking to get rid of some things, or knows where to find these less expensively, feel free to PM me as I am currently shopping and researching. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 18.95
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Arcadegarage.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-about-gnr?tu=Arcadegarage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.