(Topic ID: 17742)

All 67/89 flash bulbs out on Gottlieb system 3, fuse?

By Dommer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by T3mpest
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

street_fighter_103.JPG
photo_copy_5.JPG
#1 11 years ago

While checking over the bulbs of my Gottlieb Deadly Weapon to order bulbs, I noticed that all of the 67/89 flash lamp bulbs are out. Anyone know what the problem could be? My guess based on my limited electronics experience is that it's a blown fuse. Wanted to check if I've got the right idea or if something else might be amiss. If it is a fuse, any idea on which to check first? It's a system 3 machine and I don't have the manual.

#2 11 years ago

You sure they are working? The ww I had just had all flashers burned out. But you should check the fuse as well.

#3 11 years ago

I checked and most of them look just fine (elements intact, no soot or fogging). The thing that stands out is that all the ones that are out are of that size, which seems to indicate something else going on than just all of the same type of bulb being out.

#4 11 years ago

The back box has a few big bulbs that could be the same size, see if those light up. Or take a multimeter to the fuse or bulb power/ground and see if there is power

#5 11 years ago

the ones in the back box are not working either. i'll check the fuses. would it be worth it to get the manual to help trouble shoot it?

#6 11 years ago

I'm having the same problem with Freddy, another System 3 Gottlieb. All of the flashers are dead, but because I just bought it, they may be burned out. No manual! Waiting on 67 lamps to troubleshoot...

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I'm having the same problem with FREDDY, another System 3 Gottlieb. All of the flashers are dead, but because I just bought it, they may be burned out. No manual! Waiting on 67 lamps to troubleshoot...

I just recently had the same problem, luckily when I changed out the bulbs turned out every single one of them was out. I just got the manual so if you would like me to look anything up, lemme know.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from cireone:

Mudflaps said:I'm having the same problem with FREDDY, another System 3 Gottlieb. All of the flashers are dead, but because I just bought it, they may be burned out. No manual! Waiting on 67 lamps to troubleshoot...
I just recently had the same problem, luckily when I changed out the bulbs turned out every single one of them was out. I just got the manual so if you would like me to look anything up, lemme know.

Thank you. Hopefully it's just the bulbs, but when I did the systems test it said Solenoids 16-22 with (part) 67 and nothing flashed. This is my first rodeo with potentially replacing fuses or Solenoids, so I'm hopeful it's the flashers. Do these have a shorter life than other lamps?

#9 11 years ago

Gert a box of spare bulbs for all the different bulbs in your pin. Then just replace the unlit bulb with a new one. Simple enough and you won't be wondering if all your bulbs are bad.

#10 11 years ago

Some of the system 3 games use the flashers extensively in ATTRACT mode. Because of this they are often all burnt out. Sometimes the associated transistors are cooked also. But usually they are just burnt out. It is relatively common for them ALL to be burnt out.

PS - Definitely use the 67s because 89s will not last very long.

Parker

#11 11 years ago

There is a resistor on the bottom of the playfield all the way in the back that controls the flash lamp power. I cannot remember the value of the resistor but it is >=5watts. Test the resistor and make sure the power is getting to it.

--Scott

#12 11 years ago

Thanks for all the info. Hopefully it's just that they are all burned out. I've got some bulbs ordered so hopefully I'll know more in the next couple days. If not, I'll check the resistor. Probably get the manual too just to have on hand.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Dommer:

Probably get the manual too just to have on hand.

I'm a firm believer in having the service manual for every pin I own. It just makes troubleshooting and repair so much easier. For most pins you can download decent copies from IPDB. For Gottliebs, Pinball Resource. Ebay can also be a source.

I also have been fortunate that most of my pins have come with manuals. Early System1's usually have the manual with the game wiring and info but no PCB schematics.

Do yourself a favor and get the Manual. Another benefit is that some manuals contain "Theory of Operation" and this can be a big help in learning how to troubleshoot and repair your Pin.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

Dommer said:Probably get the manual too just to have on hand.
I'm a firm believer in having the service manual for every pin I own. It just makes troubleshooting and repair so much easier. For most pins you can download decent copies from IPDB. For Gottliebs, Pinball Resource. Ebay can also be a source.
I also have been fortunate that most of my pins have come with manuals. Early System1's usually have the manual with the game wiring and info but no PCB schematics.
Do yourself a favor and get the Manual. Another benefit is that some manuals contain "Theory of Operation" and this can be a big help in learning how to troubleshoot and repair your Pin.

Completely agree.

#15 11 years ago

The 67s came in today and I replaced 8 total. All of the old 67s were blown, but the new flashers still do not work. Any idea which fuse may be the culprit?

I don't have the manual or the multimeter, so help would be appreciated. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase both.

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The 67s came in today and I replaced 8 total. All of the old 67s were blown, but the new flashers still do not work

Not sure what you are saying.
Put new 67s and they still don't work?
All the old 67s were blown.. how do you know that?

Quoted from Mudflaps:

Any idea which fuse may be the culprit?

You need to get a DMM(meter) and then you can measure the fuse for continuity.(~ 0 ohms)
You don't need anything fancy. Harbor Freight has them for ~ $5. Sears has them on sale for ~ 10 to 15 at times. Home depot, lowes, radio shack. Get a meter.

Or you could make a continuity tester using batteries and an led or buzzer, sonalert, etc.

#17 11 years ago

i think i might have figured my problem out and i kinda feel like an idiot. something i forgot to mention is that i haven't played mine yet because there's a lot i want to do to it before give it a go (clean, repaint, and wax the playfield; new rubbers, ball and lights) which has taken longer than i thought (hard time finding enamel paints, balls got lost in mail, sent me some of the wrong rubbers). this means every time i've turned it on, it's been in stand by mode.
while testing and changing out all the 44 lamps, i found out that the test for 67s are under the solenoid menu for some odd reason. several were burnt out, but a lot worked when i tested them. i'm guessing that maybe they don't turn on until a game is actually playing. i'll confirm when i get it up and going, which again might be awhile due being on vacation next week. can't wait to finally get it going though!

#18 11 years ago

Mudflaps said:
The 67s came in today and I replaced 8 total. All of the old 67s were blown, but the new flashers still do not work

Not sure what you are saying.
Put new 67s and they still don't work?
All the old 67s were blown.. how do you know that?

The #67 lamps on the playfield (8 total) were burned out - I could tell because the filament was broken. I replaced all of the playfield #67 lamps but still no luck.

I've been talking with cicerone [GREAT help!!! ] and have pinpointed the problem, but no solution yet...

Solenoids 16-22 are not working... these provide power to the flashers and back box 904s (also out). The A3 driver board looks okay, but the transistors are a bit rusty. I ordered a DMM which will be here on Saturday.

Could be one of two things: the driver board is providing power but I have a problem somewhere else, or the driver board will need to be replaced by a rottendog.

Everything else works very well.

photo_copy_5.JPGphoto_copy_5.JPG

#19 11 years ago

So in Diagnostic mode you could get the 67s to work and flash but in game mode they do not work?
Do you have clay's guide for System 3?

#20 11 years ago

If none of the flashers are working in either test or game, first thing to check is the .33 ohm 5w resistor on the bottom of the playboard - it is usually screwed in on both sides and has many wires going to it. Sometimes it gets ripped out when pulling the playfield from the game.

If your controlled lamps are working (44/47s) but not the big flashers (67s) then it may be one or more of the 12N10Ls on the driver board.

One other thing you can try is reseating the 20 pin ribbon cable that goes from the CPU to the driver board. I've had this go bad on me before making A3 look bad. Good luck!

viperrwk

#21 11 years ago

Thanks. Will try all three tonight. 44s all work, no flashers in test or play.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from pdman:

So in Diagnostic mode you could get the 67s to work and flash but in game mode they do not work?
Do you have clay's guide for System 3?

they work in diagnostic mode. not sure yet about game mode yet as i don't want to play it till it get the playfield up to snuff. when i tested it before buying it, i looked like all lights were working. i will post when i get it up and going.
Mudflaps-hope you get yours figured out. I'm curious as to what it could be.

#23 11 years ago

Once again, major thanks to cicerone for lots of personal e-mails and pm's.

After finally purchasing a DMM, it turns out F6 was blown. The only 10 amp/32 volt at Radio Shack was a fast blow (original was a slow blow), but I thought 'what the hell' and tried it. No luck. I ordered the slow blow through marcospecialties so once again it will be a few more days.

Hopefully it's the fuse and not the driver board. God bless Freddy.

1 week later
#24 11 years ago

Technical help needed on Freddy (Gottlieb System 3)...

Problem: all solenoid controlled backbox and playfield flashers do not work

Troubleshooting: I replaced the F6 fuse (10 amp, 32V slow blow), replaced all of the lamps, checked all of the connectors, and ordered a new rottendog A3 driver board... still no flashers

Quoted from viperrwk:

If none of the flashers are working in either test or game, first thing to check is the .33 ohm 5w resistor on the bottom of the playboard - it is usually screwed in on both sides and has many wires going to it. Sometimes it gets ripped out when pulling the playfield from the game

Can you tell me specifically where this is located? I tried to find the resistor, but as a noob, the entire lower playfield is a maze of screws and wires.

Any other ideas? Thanks for the help.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Can you tell me specifically where this is located? I tried to find the resistor, but as a noob, the entire lower playfield is a maze of screws and wires.

Usually towards the back of the playfield on the left side. Gottlieb usually ran all the 67 flasher bulbs through this resistor and if everything else in the game works, no fuses are blown, and all the bulbs are known good, then it's a high probability this resistor is suspect.

Also, all the parts on the bottom of the playfield are usually identified on the board. Here's the best photo I have of what it looks like (from a SFII.) It's in the upper part of the photo to the right of center and you can see it says "R1" on the playfield. street_fighter_103.JPGstreet_fighter_103.JPG

Good luck!

viperrwk

#26 11 years ago

Thanks viperrwk. I'll give it a go!

6 months later
#27 11 years ago

I think i have the exact same problem. Did you ever got to fix it ?

#28 11 years ago

Unfortunately, no. I fiddled with the resistor but I never replaced it. Still bothers me to this day, but hopefully others will have more luck.

1 month later
#29 11 years ago

I fixed the playfield Flashers at last.

It was the R1 resistor.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/all-6789-flash-bulbs-out-on-gottlieb-system-3-fuse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.