View topic image gallery

F8DCD17D-BCE8-4851-A782-66C0C18C9131 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
deposit (resized).jpg
alien-rating (resized).png

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 1 year ago

Game is lucky to be in the top 50 IMO.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

Actually… it was aimed at him!
I just find it at a stretch that anyone would base their purchasing decision based on a game popping up as #1 on pinside. It just seems like a tee’d up
Troll thread.
It looks like I could be legit- my apologies if that isn’t the case

Apology accepted. But yah again I didn't make the purchase decision based on that I was very very close to pulling the trigger than one day I see the #1 and I say well shit may as well pull that trigger. Makes no diff to me that it now got bumped down. It is obv a very good game that many feel is a top 10 pin. Good enough for me.

#53 1 year ago

It’s a shitty game built
By Italian amateurs which is nowhere near “top 10” and breaks like it’s its job.

So good luck!

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Apology accepted. But yah again I didn't make the purchase decision based on that I was very very close to pulling the trigger than one day I see the #1 and I say well shit may as well pull that trigger. Makes no diff to me that it now got bumped down. It is obv a very good game that many feel is a top 10 pin. Good enough for me.

So to go back to your original post. If you are looking at the top 100 - look at other versions of the game. Is there a huge discrepancy between the models? If so- it means that the higher end version will likely regress back down to closer to the standard models.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Ok, not brand new, but still newish.
I haven't seen a limited version yet. Sometimes it takes a while for some titles/editions to get out into the world.

Other titles have shifted positions fairly significantly before. The leap to #1 is just very unusual. I guess all we can do is speculate about what caused it.

Eh, I don't think so. Ratings usually settle down in the end. The top100 list is a living list, after all. Things jump around. Jump up, jump up and get down.

So what you are saying is Aliens jump to #1 was highly unusual but dropping ftom #1 to #50 in one week is completely normal and in line with your opinion of the game. Got it. Makes sense to me

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a shitty game built
By Italian amateurs which is nowhere near “top 10” and breaks like it’s its job.
So good luck!

Says the Stern fan boy who is always pumping Stern games on Pinside, even those he has never played or owned.

#57 1 year ago

Man, some of you people take this list, which is for fun, way too seriously.

#58 1 year ago

It's not rocket science - the ratings built up slowly as LV owners got their machines and rated it highly because - surprise - it IS a very good game. When it hit 30 ratings, because the people (who actually owned it and played it properly) rated it favourably, it hit #1. Cue a sudden deluge of 4s and 5s because this game cannot possibly top the list for any amount of time. I'm sure this has happened before to various other games.

As more people played it and rated it, I'm sure it would have settled naturally into its own spot, but people just can't be patient and dragged it down artificially.

Go play and decide for yourself, but personally I really just don't get anyone who is into pinball thinking this is a crappy game. If you love the Alien theme it's absolutely brilliant.

#59 1 year ago

It’s Nordsmans best game. Godzilla bros couldn’t handle the left outlane and got smoked on it.

#60 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

zillafans lost their mind and gave it a bunch of $hitty ratings and it dropped

Insert MM here and this has been the response since I cant remember. But this thread worked I actually looked at the Top 100 and comments for Alien and they are hilarious. I had no idea you could file a motion to object or fanboy a rating. And I rate games. Just never looked at the list.

#61 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:I got the feeling from the Alien LV reviews that put it at #1 that they were legit. Folks were genuinely hyped about that game as they unboxed and played them. The TS4 CE reviews are mostly stealth ads from flippers who have NIBs to move at 15k, they all contain phrases nudging you to buy yours today, your family will love it, etc. Those reviews irritate the most, because the most obvious thing in the pinball world is that TS4 is way overpriced, considering its lazy anti-toy layout and its for-kids wizard mode.

Check out newest ratings toy story 4 CE rating of a 4 and 3 is it that bad or preemptive strike before top 10 lol
Just sayin

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a shitty game built
So good luck!

I mean, I've had mine for a few months and put 100s of plays on it, and haven't had a single issue yet. The game rocks.

I'm just one guy though.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from KJL:

Insert MM here and this has been the response since I cant remember. But this thread worked I actually looked at the Top 100 and comments for Alien and they are hilarious. I had no idea you could file a motion to object or fanboy a rating. And I rate games. Just never looked at the list.

I would like to see a top 100 consisting of ratings from only those who actually own or have owned the game. I wonder how that would shape the ratings.

I bet there's a way to do that. I'd love to see it.

#64 1 year ago

alien LV takes 7 month to get 32 ratings. Goes to number 1. Then in another 12 days it gains another 50 ratings. Lots of 6-7 scores with no comments.
The reaction to it being number 1 was fast and brutal but also appears slightly childish.

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I would like to see a top 100 consisting of ratings from only those who actually own or have owned the game. I wonder how that would shape the ratings.
I bet there's a way to do that. I'd love to see it.

I’d like to see all 10 ratings and any ratings that are 6 and lower scrubbed. Any rating under a 6 is bogus no matter what the pin. I’d even suggest that anyone that continuously (3 instances) rates games a 10 or lower than 6 should be banned from rating since their intent is to manipulate the system rather than provide an honest review. This change alone would add credibility to the top 100. The powers that be just need to put in a little bit of effort

#66 1 year ago

I think when the #1 rating pop was due to the LE getting enough reviews but likely those were all owners of the pin who obviously think it's outstanding. But once the rest of people saw it was time to rate the LE they put in their rating on it and dragged it down. These ratings must be people who likely didn't buy it so they don't think it's that great or they would have bought it.

I saw 100% this same thing happen with SW comic, it popped up to #1 but soon went right back to where all the rest of SW had sat for long time..

#67 1 year ago

Bottom line Godzilla owners can’t hit alien shots. Godzilla is great but makes everyone look good. With Alien you can’t front and are exposed.

#68 1 year ago

Alien is amazing. I have 577 games on my LV. It’s the only game in play at the moment and I have 45 games. Buy this game. It’s really fun and challenging. 10/10 for sure!

#70 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I've played Alien. It's not #1

Shadow is number 1 overall.

#71 1 year ago
Quoted from calprog:

Alien is amazing. I have 577 games on my LV. It’s the only game in play at the moment and I have 45 games. Buy this game. It’s really fun and challenging. 10/10 for sure!

I've had mine for almost two months and the only two games I'm playing right now are Alien and Stranger Things.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from DropGems:

Shadow is number 1 overall.

It is an amazing game (not #1, but probably top 10 for me)

#73 1 year ago

#1 ? Nah. 6/10 rating ? That’s just as ridiculous too. Value ? For what is has and the price of TS, it’s in the pinball equivalent of the clearance section. Really good value for what it is.

I own both GZ and Alien and they are both fantastic machines. For theme integration I’ve seen none do it better than Alien. Brilliant use of assets. For layout, GZ is just special.

Personally I’m not bothered about 50 or even top 100. It’s a really good game. And it’s really good as a wide body. That’s all that matters.

The only outstanding question is durability and that will always be an issue for a new manufacturer. But I’m gonna give them a chance here. An all Stern lineup is just boring and while I’d like to have some JJPs in there they priced themselves out of my budget.

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I've played Alien. It's not #1

I don't think that is really the point we are talking about here. It was ranked around #30 for weeks before the LV suddenly shot up to #1. Sure it wouldn't have stayed there long term but it also shouldn't have dropped all the way to #50 in one week.

I don't consider Godzilla the #1 GOAT either. I rank it #5 #6... in my own collection and is on the choppng block the next time I have to sell a pin. That doesn't mean it isn't a good game or #1 for some others. Everyone has their favorites and preferences.

#75 1 year ago

If all those negative scores are genuine then so be it, but as soon as soon as it’s public knowledge that Alien is #1 then everyone comes out of the woodwork to tear it down. The timing is odd and it’s unfortunate to all the people who poured into this game to make it what it is. It’s not a turd. It’s a damn good game. I just don’t get the need to tear something down just because it is doing well. I’m not a fan of Godzilla or about any modern Stern but I don’t think they are releasing anything that’s a 5 or below. Stern knows what they are doing. I don’t rate them as I haven’t given the games the attention they deserve to give a fair or meaningful rating.

Alien, even with all its problems and history is a damn good game and should be able to stand or fall on its own merit, not be skewed by childish review bombing.

#76 1 year ago
Quoted from Mattyk:

Any rating under a 6 is bogus no matter what the pin.

Bullcrap. If everything is a 6 or better, then 6 is just the new 1. 10 doesn't mean much if 6 is the floor. There are some pins with "1" gameplay, "1" art, etc. Something has to be the worst. I'm sure every driver also ranks themself at least a 6 out of 10. #cargument

#77 1 year ago

Anyway I kind of want to leave my first ever rating just to drink some sweet xenomorph tears.

#78 1 year ago

I think it's crazy Halloween is ranked lower when it's a much better game.

#80 1 year ago

It is predictable that the fanboys and haters will battle it out with this I’ll-conceived ranking format.

All new releases should be hidden from the list for 5 years or so(particularly the low production machines) so that people have the opportunity to play these machines and rate them without the influence of the ranking.

Sure once the rankings are released a few people will try to inflate/deflate the rankings but by then the ranking will have much more inertia.

#81 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

Grown ass, fat middle age men arguing over who’s toy is better, priceless
Can’t hate it , you can’t buy entertainment like this in any pinball game

Welcome fellow pinball enthusiast.

#82 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

The timing is odd and it’s unfortunate to all the people who poured into this game to make it what it is.

Not gonna speak for the rest of the team, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. The #1 thing was funny, I shared it with some friends who aren't even into pinball, they thought it was neat. That alone made it worth it. Now it can go wherever, it's a silly system that means nothing.

Just play the pins you enjoy when you have the chance to do so, and skip the ones you don't. I'm kinda behind on the last few years of brand new games, I haven't played a new Stern since Jurassic Park I'm afraid. But was a time I'd played just about every game in the top 100. I like most of them, for the most part.

Very few games deserve to be utterly dumped on. I can only think of Thunderbirds off the top of my head. What a piece of shit. Even the flipper buttons are uncomfortable and suck.

#83 1 year ago

I only think it is strange the LV got the beating suddenly they all rated the LV and not the SV, which is now rated higher than the LV. That alone says these ratings are bogus. The LV attacked the number one spot for their beloved Godzilla. Elwin fanboys did what they had to do and buried the only contestor with low ratings. Basically ensuring this will never be an issue in the future. I am not saying Alien should be number one but honest ratings are preffered!

This already took to much time of me, I am now going to enjoy my machines and never look at this top 100 again since this clearly showed how wrong this system is. And maybe tells me a lot of a certain group of people on pinside.

#84 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I don't think that is really the point we are talking about here. It was ranked around #30 for weeks before the LV suddenly shot up to #1. Sure it wouldn't have stayed there long term but it also shouldn't have dropped all the way to #50 in one week.
I don't consider Godzilla the #1 GOAT either. I rank it #5 #6... in my own collection and is on the choppng block the next time I have to sell a pin. That doesn't mean it isn't a good game or #1 for some others. Everyone has their favorites and preferences.

I was just being a bit cheeky.

These top 100 discussions crop up far more than they should, however. I will recommend, as I always do, to use them as a general guideline. Everyone has different tastes in pinball. If a pin was a #1 machine for one person, it might be a top 50 for another, but I feel we can all agree that it would still be a very good game.

I should also point out that the top 100 is customizable to individual tastes as well, so one could factor in their more desirable traits for a more personalized top 100.

Another way to get a 'general consensus' would be to factor in the major pinball ranking websites (pinside, ipdb, rec room world, etc.) and average the rankings.

At any rate, pinball is meant to be enjoyed...not argued over.

#85 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a shitty game built
So good luck!

If you don’t think this is true then put the game on route, also bring a sleeping bag and a cot because you’ll be living on location with the hood up every single day.
“Put a ticket in for it” is the motto in the Alien remake thread.

#86 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

If you don’t think this is true then put the game on route, also bring a sleeping bag and a cot because you’ll be living on location with the hood up every single day.

Last time I looked, maintainability, robustness and serviceablity have not been part of the rating, nor operator nightrest. So we have to leave them out. ALthough all negative ratings have had these items in them. I do not think Alien is a pinball machine for location. If we take shitty playfields, cheapness, overpricing, being screwed and bad customer service in scope, Stern would not be nr.1 in the top100.

#87 1 year ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

I've had mine for two months with no issues. Maybe that was true when the game was newer but it has imprved drastically from what I can tell.

Besides, lets not pretend this is unique to Alien and Pinball Bros. The TK lock on my Stranger Things premium requires constant maintenance and still doesn't function correctly half the time due to poor engineering and QC from Stern. I bought a NIB EHOH that was unplayable out of the box for 3 weeks until.,Stern finally agreed to pay a tech to come over and fix the issues.

Lastly, I had the misfortune of owning a JJP Wizard of Oz with neveending light board issues... and they wanted to charge me $700+ to order their new light board kit to try to fix the problem that was a result of their own poor quality and design. That is to say nothing of the many shoddy playfields JJP and Stern have sent out on NIB games in recent years.

The point is some want to crap all over Pinball Bros and the growing pain issues of a new manufacturer while conveniently ignoring the fact JJP and Stern games often have design and QC issues on many of their own games. At least Pinball Bros is standing by their product and prividing excellent customer service if issues arise. That can be hit and miss with other companies.

#88 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

The point is some want to crap all over Pinball Bros and the growing pain issues of a new manufacturer while conveniently ignoring the fact JJP and Stern games often have design and QC issues on many of their own games. At least Pinball Bros is standing by their product and prividing excellent customer service if issues arise. That can be hit and miss with other companies.

Noone is saying Stern or JJP are perfect. They just don't have the complete game breaking quality problems that PB Bros has.
My Alien can't stay powered up for a full day on route because it just randomly locks up.
3.0 code has improved that but it still locks up which makes it unsuitable for location use as it's always turned off.

I also had 2 driver boards catch on fire in my game before receiving a third one that hasn't caught on fire yet.

I've never had anything close to the severity of issues with any other manufacturer like I've had with Alien.

PB Bros did provide excellent service in getting my burned up driver boards replaced and the parts to fix my game. It's just disappointing the machine still locks up after all this time.

Just because you didn't have an issue with your game doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people that did have major problems with their machines. That affects the ratings as the game will have lower exposure with not being suitable for location use.

#89 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Noone is saying Stern or JJP are perfect. They just don't have the complete game breaking quality problems that PB Bros has.
My Alien can't stay powered up for a full day on route because it just randomly locks up.
3.0 code has improved that but it still locks up which makes it unsuitable for location use as it's always turned off.
I also had 2 driver boards catch on fire in my game before receiving a third one that hasn't caught on fire yet.
I've never had anything close to the severity of issues with any other manufacturer like I've had with Alien.
PB Bros did provide excellent service in getting my burned up driver boards replaced and the parts to fix my game. It's just disappointing the machine still locks up after all this time.
Just because you didn't have an issue with your game doesn't mean there aren't a ton of people that did have major problems with their machines. That affects the ratings as the game will have lower exposure with not being suitable for location use.

If I had a dollar every time the brewery texted me or you asked me to swing by and see what was wrong with the game, I'd have enough to buy every Alien owner on pinside a lifetime supply of diapers to wipe down those fragile beauties

#90 1 year ago

Any op brave enough to put Alien on location deserves a medal or Sainthood.

#91 1 year ago

I greatly want to put in some more time on Alien but it’s always turned off at my local arcade.

However I never rate a game unless I know it frontwards and backwards. I don’t understand why some people rate a game after just a few plays. I’ve never rated a game unless I played 50+ game on it.

#92 1 year ago

Just came here to give my opinion that nobody cares about and doesn't matter.

I love Alien I have hundreds of plays with 0 issues. I must be the chosen one. Lol Ive owned a bunch of the games that are in the top and wouldn't put them in my personal top ten and no longer have. I bought EHOH and Monster Bash way back due to their high rankings and couldn't wait to get rid of them. EHOH from factory didn't work and took about 4-5 weeks of begging Stern to get me parts. (It happens I get it). Godzilla theme does nothing for me and I truly believe it's highly loved because it's a super easy pin that a beginner can do well on. That and everyone wanted to jump on the Elwin train. It's funny many people I know had to have all his pins and then they discover Borg and their Elwin games slowly go away. Most games I've played on location have some issue one way or another. I think it's why I started my own collection so I can actually play games that work as intended.

I now try to play games before buying or buy them priced to where if I don't like it I can move it with minimal losses. It is sad that people will rank games so low based on a few game plays or they just have a super crappy life and want to just spew negative on a review having never put time or effort into learning something. (Probably why they're divorced, kids hate them, etc lol you get the idea)

Buy, play what makes you happy and f$$#$k whatever the rating is.

If you made it this far lol well go play pinball.

#93 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s a shitty game built
So good luck!

Once again, “crazy” levi is the sanest person in the thread.

I’ve played 3 different versions of this game. All were mediocre at best, with unsatisfying shot geometry, some of the worst table art and lighting, with multiple things not working on each.

It’s simply a niche game for the die-hard alien fan who absolutely loves tinkering with pinball machines.

It’s honestly not even top 100 material… but who cares? Look, it’s okay to own/love shitty pinball machines, folks! I love my shaq-Attaq too!

#94 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Fair enough but just because you've had all those issues doesn't mean issues of the nature you cite are the norm and my game is in the minority.

When was your game built? All I said is most I know with more recent builds haven't been experiencing a ton of issues. It also doesn't change the fact Stern and particularly JJP have had issues in recent years, especially with some playfields. Those can be serious issues as well, unless you enjoy doing a playfield swap.

#95 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Once again, “crazy” levi is the sanest person in the thread.
I’ve played 3 different versions of this game. All were mediocre at best, with unsatisfying shot geometry, some of the worst table art and lighting, with multiple things not working on each.
It’s simply a niche game for the die-hard alien fan who absolutely loves tinkering with pinball machines.
It’s honestly not even top 100 material… but who cares? Look, it’s okay to own/love shitty pinball machines, folks! I love my shaq-Attaq too!

Says the self annointed expert on all things pinball.

#96 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I greatly want to put in some more time on Alien but it’s always turned off at my local arcade.

If you ever make it up to STL, send me a message, and you're more than welcome to stop by and put some games on mine.

I think it's a fun, immersive game that's a personal dream theme for me. So it's staying for a while in my game room. However, I wouldn't place it in the top 5. Godzilla has more going for it, but since I'm not a super fan, it doesn't get played as much as it would otherwise. Therefore, for me, it's a toss-up between the two.

#97 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

However I never rate a game unless I know it frontwards and backwards. I don’t understand why some people rate a game after just a few plays. I’ve never rated a game unless I played 50+ game on it.

Precisely, the only valid rating is an informed rating with extensive playtime.

Imagine a movie review, where the reviewer said the film is crap, but walked out after 10 mins?

All my pinball reviews are just for fun, never to be taken seriously.

However, I did work on the Alien project and give it an honest (and informed) review, with a final score of 7.811.

#98 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Says the self annointed expert on all things pinball.

Haha, no, I’m no expert, but I do know what I like/dislike, and I’m open to changing my mind about both.

#99 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Haha, no, I’m no expert

We can tell, because you say "table".

#100 1 year ago

The Top 100 list is based on subjective ratings, and will never provide objective results. It can’t. My favorite EM that I’ve ever played is Hot Tip, which is currently ranked 133 on the EM list. There’s no way I think it should be that low. But with EMs, that’s just subjective opinion, which can also reflect folks being fans of a certain manufacturer. With the post-EM Top 100, you can add to that the euphoria of getting/playing a brand-new release, and that list can get even more out-of-whack.

As others have indicated, the Top 100 is just a general glimpse of feelings at the moment. If it’s recognized for what it is, it can still serve a useful purpose in thinking about certain titles.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aliens-lv-ratings-drop/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.