image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20170304_140705_001 (resized).jpg
P3050279 (resized).JPG
P3050275 (resized).JPG
IMG_0002 (resized).JPG
20170304_133422 (resized).jpg
20170304_140705_001 (resized).jpg
There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 7 years ago

I haven't actually watched any video of this game until now, I have to say it looks really impressive! The sound and atmosphere is really, good, video and sound from the movie are nicely integrated, looks like a lot of good shots and a nice flow. I was anticipating something a little more amateur hour. Surprisingly it doesn't really stand out that there's no Sigourney in the game...Hey I guess YOU are supposed to be her so it kind of works.

On the con side, the game has typical late-model widebody stupid outlanes (I'd like to see the widebody trend go away like it's 1981), and the playfield kind of has that late 90s Sega look to it.

If this game proves to have a fun ruleset, and proves to be reliable I could see it and the manufacturer carve out a nice niche for itself. The modular flipper is a very nice idea and great for location repairs. Just pop one in and bring the old one back to the shop.

#202 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If this game proves to have a fun ruleset, and proves to be reliable I could see it and the manufacturer carve out a nice niche for itself.

I can say what I have seen so far is a top notch ruleset. Challenging but in the "just one more" sort of way.

Some modes are more straight forward (hit the shots)
Some modes are something to learn (hit shots in a specific order)
Some modes prevent flailing and require great control (hit blue but AVOID green)
Some great multiballs and plenty of them but you have to earn them.
Some background running modes (like save newt which seems to progress during times when not in a specific other mode and happens form colelcting things on the pf.) Other background mode seems to be from collecting switch hits over time to work towards another MB I think.

The code is already really solid and I assume is just going to get better over time. It si not even at 1.0 yet!

#203 7 years ago

Hilton invited me over to check out Alien last night and I managed to get a couple plays in while I was there and also take a few pics and video. Here are my initial impressions.

Looks: This is one of the most stunning games I have ever seen in person! pictures don't really do the game any justice. The green lit up cabinet panels give the game an eerie and cool look. The EL lit inner side blades also looked awesome and would be a worthy upgrade for people ordering a standard. I also think Aurich's playfield art fits the game perfectly and looks great! I like that it's not too busy and doesn't overpower the game. It's dark and eerie and gives you just the details you need. The LED lighting in the game really catches your eye and is utilized to its full potential. Everything is full color changers and it seems well coded to match the rules and the gameplay. The toys in the game look well made and don't look like "toys" at all. Everything seems custom and high quality. This doesn't look like a game that was put together with a calculator as Jack would say. The Xenomorph head was glossy black and just looked awesome! These toys clearly didn't come off the shelf at Walmart. As an overall package I think this is one of the coolest games I've ever seen. It probably does help though that I love the theme though!

Gameplay: I look forward to playing many more games once this is on route but after playing my first ball my first words to Hilton were that I want one! I love Stern games but after a while many of them seem formulatic. I didn't get that impression at all from Alien. I loved that the layout was unconventional and felt different. The shots definitely took some getting used to but were smooth once you got the hang of them. I also can't remember the last time there was a game with 4 flippers on the main playfield that had unique shots assigned to them. I really enjoyed how the game played and the little intricacies of the layout. The hidden lane that returned the ball to the lower right flipper was my favorite. I This game is like a breath of fresh air and combined with a theme that I love really makes it intriguing to own.

Software: Hard to say much with only 2 plays but the modes that were coded in were a lot of fun and showed some creativity. I liked that a mode like Acid burn punishes you for hitting the wrong shots. In the finding Jonesy mode you have to track down the target with an orange LED and it moves around the playfield quickly. It looks like the game also keeps track of things like combos and has quite a few multiball modes. I look forward to figuring out more as I put more plays in.

Overall I came away extremely impressed and this game jumped to the top of my most wanted list. I will likely order one at some point (once these start shipping in quantity to homes and I sell a game or two) but at least for now I can enjoy playing one on route. Thanks Heighway and Madison Pinball for making this possible!

#204 7 years ago

Thanks for the writeup Mike! Sounds like Heighway has a winner on their hands.

Great point about the 4 flippers each having unique shots. That's a big draw for me. Each of the two upper flippers has 2 unique shots which I don't think has ever been pulled off before.

#205 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Hilton invited me over to check out Alien last night and I managed to get a couple plays in while I was there and also take a few pics and video. Here are my initial impressions.
Looks: This is one of the most stunning games I have ever seen in person! pictures don't really do the game any justice. The green lit up cabinet panels give the game an eerie and cool look. The EL lit inner side blades also looked awesome and would be a worthy upgrade for people ordering a standard. I also think Aurich's playfield art fits the game perfectly and looks great! I like that it's not too busy and doesn't overpower the game. It's dark and eerie and gives you just the details you need. The LED lighting in the game really catches your eye and is utilized to its full potential. Everything is full color changers and it seems well coded to match the rules and the gameplay. The toys in the game look well made and don't look like "toys" at all. Everything seems custom and high quality. This doesn't look like a game that was put together with a calculator as Jack would say. The Xenomorph head was glossy black and just looked awesome! These toys clearly didn't come off the shelf at Walmart. As an overall package I think this is one of the coolest games I've ever seen. It probably does help though that I love the theme though!
Gameplay: I look forward to playing many more games once this is on route but after playing my first ball my first words to Hilton were that I want one! I love Stern games but after a while many of them seem formulatic. I didn't get that impression at all from Alien. I loved that the layout was unconventional and felt different. The shots definitely took some getting used to but were smooth once you got the hang of them. I also can't remember the last time there was a game with 4 flippers on the main playfield that had unique shots assigned to them. I really enjoyed how the game played and the little intricacies of the layout. The hidden lane that returned the ball to the lower right flipper was my favorite. I This game is like a breath of fresh air and combined with a theme that I love really makes it intriguing to own.
Software: Hard to say much with only 2 plays but the modes that were coded in were a lot of fun and showed some creativity. I liked that a mode like Acid burn punishes you for hitting the wrong shots. In the finding Jonesy mode you have to track down the target with an orange LED and it moves around the playfield quickly. It looks like the game also keeps track of things like combos and has quite a few multiball modes. I look forward to figuring out more as I put more plays in.
Overall I came away extremely impressed and this game jumped to the top of my most wanted list. I will likely order one at some point (once these start shipping in quantity to homes and I sell a game or two) but at least for now I can enjoy playing one on route. Thanks Heighway and Madison Pinball for making this possible!

Glad you like it Mike. You had that glimmer in your eye as soon as you stepped away from ball 1!!! lol.

I know the feeling. I am pretty sure I will be placing an order for my own LE very soon. This is one I am going to want at home even though we will have it on route less then a mile form my house.

#206 7 years ago

For those locals that are wondering. I should be able to finish up play testing and adjustments tonight so this will be available for play on Thursday starting at the monthly meet up.

I will update on FB page and here when it is 100% open for public, but that is my current plan (hoping no other home plumbing emergencies...)

#207 7 years ago

Couldnt agree with you more, Hilton!

My opinion is just mine, but after 45 years of collecting pins, Aliens stands
out above and beyond my expectations in forward direction for an exceptional pin!

I cant say anything more that hasnt been said, except the "bar" is now raised, and
all pinheads should be thrilled!

#208 7 years ago

I took a few short videos last night and have them on Youtube for anyone interested in checking them out:

This is a quick one with the lights off to get a better feel for the great lighting:

#209 7 years ago

biggest thing the few players I have invited over to help play test have said, is that they are impressed with the price point for what you get on Aliens.

Just the feature list alone for what you get is phenomenal.

I have to htink that this is exactly what Heighway needed.

I can also say I have been over the whole game and through all the mechs and thinsg are super solid! well engineered! A pleasure to work on and really smart stuff here. You can see the passion and thought put into this game!

#210 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

biggest thing the few players I have invited over to help play test have said, is that they are impressed with the price point for what you get on Aliens.
I can also say I have been over the whole game and through all the mechs and thinsg are super solid! well engineered! A pleasure to work on and really smart stuff here. You can see the passion and thought put into this game!

what is the list price again?

#211 7 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

what is the list price again?

I suggest contacting Heighway direct for a quote on price. There are quite a few differnet options and things you can add on/ change to your taste. That is the best way to get an accurate quote on what you need/want.

#212 7 years ago

Question: Do the loop shots always go into the pop Bumpers or are there control gates at the top?
Just looked like in the video Mike posted the ball would always go in the Bumpers.

I may have to put this game in my collection. Looking great.

#213 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I suggest contacting Heighway direct for a quote on price. There are quite a few differnet options and things you can add on/ change to your taste. That is the best way to get an accurate quote on what you need/want.

Ok base price?

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Question: Do the loop shots always go into the pop Bumpers or are there control gates at the top?
Just looked like in the video Mike posted the ball would always go in the Bumpers.

There are 2 diverter/controlled posts in the upper orbit (i.e. code option to stop a ball from either direction in orbit). Depending on mode or other things you have enabled, the post will go up. This is actually very good and nicely coded. I am still learning when the post goes up but in general it seems when you have a lock lit at upper left ramp then a left orbit shot will up post to divert to pop bumpers. From the pop bumper I would say 70% of the time it will come out to the upper right flipper which sets you up for a chance at and upper left ramp shot to lock.

#215 7 years ago

Dang Hilton! Next time we talk on the phone we r gonna have to talk about your route and this game!

#216 7 years ago

6,450 for anyone else wondering.

#217 7 years ago

A few pics to share from the game. The pop bumper caps really look incredible in person. Such great detail.

IMG_20170228_160245050 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_160245050 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170228_160238516 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_160238516 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170228_155903636 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_155903636 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170228_155823022 (resized).jpgIMG_20170228_155823022 (resized).jpg

#218 7 years ago

6,450 for anyone else wondering.

nice to see a sub-$7k price point. Hope they sell a lot of them.

#219 7 years ago
Quoted from rad:

nice to see a sub-$7k price point. Hope they sell a lot of them.

Yup. I think $6450 is without the 27" backbox option and without shipping cost for the SE.

#220 7 years ago

How tall is the machine with the beacon lights up there?

#221 7 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

You'll love it Tom! I know both Tim and myself are seriously considering buying one. This is going to be a big seller for Heighway. Once people play it the orders are going to flood in!

#222 7 years ago

Well done Hilton, gotta make time to get there and play it!

#223 7 years ago

Just curious after watching the new gameplay videos does it shoot a little like The Shadow with the orbits and inner loop?

#224 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Just curious after watching the new gameplay videos does it shoot a little like The Shadow with the orbits and inner loop?

Not sure, but the orbit doesn't go to the upper flipper so I don't think so.

#225 7 years ago

Center-post between the flippers? Without it, the video would have lasted 1/4 of the time?
I question the center-post.

In the video, the player doesn't seem to nudge the machine very much, but instead makes use of the center-post.

I'm not familiar with this type of play... None of my games have center-posts.

#226 7 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Center-post between the flippers? Without it, the video would have lasted 1/4 of the time?
In the video, the player doesn't seem to nudge the machine very much, but instead makes use of the center-post.

It's annoying when you have a new machine with a center post, play it to death then drop back onto another machine without one and watch the ball going down the middle on purpose!

#227 7 years ago

This just moved to the top of my wishlist.

#228 7 years ago

The game looks great, I would consider ordering one whenever they finally become available in dealer stock (I'm guessing 9+ months away at least?). The biggest thing for me is that it's not another cookie cutter game and it looks to be a good value.

#229 7 years ago

Congrats!

Looks like a great game!

#230 7 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

The game looks great, I would consider ordering one whenever they finally become available in dealer stock

Yes. Me too. When Cointaker has them, I'll pick up....

#231 7 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Ball times are short, there's 6+ balls in that video, it's edited together to give a glimpse of more modes. Dave Sanders has already discussed the need for the post, I'm sure you can take it out if you really want to

#232 7 years ago

Boom boom immersion

#233 7 years ago

I will be watching this tread. im looking forward to playing it whenit's available. I'm off all weekend maybe saturday?

#234 7 years ago
Quoted from Kevlar:

It's annoying when you have a new machine with a center post, play it to death then drop back onto another machine without one and watch the ball going down the middle on purpose!

Being able to rapidly switch your play style / muscle memory between a game with a center post and one without is a great skill for competitive pinball, and just fun otherwise. I was just thinking the other day that I'd wished someone would make a new game with a center post again...

#235 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

not really.

Honestly, it plays te most like WOOLY in many ways. It feels the most like Full Throttle, which makes sense given it is Heighway

The shots are different in feel but once you get dialed in it is a flow machine with major speed and great geometry. Launch to left ramp to right ramp to left orbit, to left ramp, to right ramp, to scoop is my favorite so far.

Game also has a fair amount of pause which is nice. Is has an almost frantic feel and keeps you on your toes.

#236 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

not really.
Honestly, it plays te most like WOOLY in many ways. It feels the most like Full Throttle, which makes sense given it is Heighway
The shots are different in feel but once you get dialed in it is a flow machine with major speed and great geometry. Launch to left ramp to right ramp to left orbit, to left ramp, to right ramp, to scoop is my favorite so far.
Game also has a fair amount of pause which is nice. Is has an almost frantic feel and keeps you on your toes.

Cool and I just saw Dead Flip Monday stream thanks for organizing that. Look forward to it.

#237 7 years ago

should be fun. Working on a few guests currently.

deadflip madison pinball (resized).jpgdeadflip madison pinball (resized).jpg

#238 7 years ago

check that. Confirmed, the man that drinks from a vase will be there.

#239 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I thought it was great bang for the buck (by todays standards anyway). Best deal out there right now for NIB.

#240 7 years ago

so the light up sidewalls an add on or is that factory normal?

because those were not on any of the versions i've played, but either was the head that eats the balls. Glad they ditched the queen in the box for the head.

#241 7 years ago

Pretty excited for this AND the fact that I've never seen Madison's Pinball Chops!

#242 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

so the light up sidewalls an add on or is that factory normal?
because those were not on any of the versions i've played, but either was the head that eats the balls. Glad they ditched the queen in the box for the head.

The graphic blades are standard, lit up are LE (can be added to standard). The alien head was always there. The queen in a can was replaced by the mini LCD.

#243 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

The graphic blades are standard, lit up are LE (can be added to standard). The alien head was always there. The queen in a can was replaced by the mini LCD.

I think the mini LCD was a wise switch. Will be far more useful to the game.

#244 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Boom boom immersion

I warned you about that word!

#245 7 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

how much more is it for the light up version over the regular, and do they light up enough to see, over the GI's because the GI's seem really bright in general.

#246 7 years ago

Only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the lack of flashers. Some white flashers creating a strobe effect would really make it feel like the movie. And add some umph to the xeno grabbing the ball.

Probably wouldn't be too difficult to add a couple wired to go off with the xeno head I suppose. Modders... start your engines!

#247 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Only thing I'm a bit disappointed in is the lack of flashers. Some white flashers creating a strobe effect would really make it feel like the movie. And add some umph to the xeno grabbing the ball.
Probably wouldn't be too difficult to add a couple wired to go off with the xeno head I suppose. Modders... start your engines!

even better would be yellow/orange flashers that do the beacon effect like they do in batman forever. make it feel like they are rotating around like construction lights. Would fit so awesome.

#248 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how much more is it for the light up version over the regular, and do they light up enough to see, over the GI's because the GI's seem really bright in general.

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was $200.

I do like flashers as well. I'm not sure why they opted not to have them, but as stated, I'm sure they can and will be added in the aftermarket. At least something to strobe that alien head when its eating the ball. The good news is that we wont have to add a color DMD, mini LCD, or blades. So we can use those funds elsewhere.

#249 7 years ago

I think the mini LCD was a wise switch. Will be far more useful to the game.

I think we'll find more uses for it after more play testing too, it's got the advantage of being software upgradable to be more dynamic and flexible later on if we have new ideas (and we already have some that we haven't implemented yet).

#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

It's a widebody. Ain't gonna "shoot" like shadow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

There are 590 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aliens-have-landed-in-madison/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.