46%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9a47044ae8362f66380d1c0a0dc448d538da00e7 (resized).jpg
0c34f85f12a7c6639a7412aa2f74165cfdd32931 (resized).jpg
IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#34 7 years ago

How many people have actually finished an Alien mode yet? That was one of many eye openers in the Jack Danger 3+ hr game play video. The video also showed the game still needs work. Made TWD look easy, very very short ball times, and lots of clunkiness (which led to lots of dead ball movements). How was Alien at TPF? I will wait a year after "real" production starts to draw firm conclusions and then look at Alien for a purchase. Plus later purchases means all the inevitable early game issues identified will be fixed.

I'm flummoxed at all the unequivocal enthusiasm for a game based on what has actually been shown so far (and how little). I'd rather see a pin earn and build praise based on eventual real experience (which Alien isn't at yet) than suffer a large fall. But I haven't been around Pinside long enough to see what likely is a wash, rinse, repeat cycle here. The multi-year development timelime hasn't helped at all. By the time such pins comes out much of the enthusiasm has moved onto actual new pins... jumping the shark. Unfortunately, I fear the pretty much universal Alien praise on Pinside is setting (some? many?) people up for eventual disappointment. Expectations have been rah rah'd so high. I'd really enjoy me a good Alien pin and have to wait for the real data to start coming in.

Houdini looks great. With AP's work record on it, it may actually beat Alien to general public availability, which is a crazy thought (comparing timelines). Again, for me it's too early to draw many conclusions from and I'll patiently wait for "real" production games and feedback. Looks very promising though. I'll wait until a year after Houdini gets into real production and then see what the game looks like and decide on a purchase; it will still be a new pin to me. I'd really enjoy me a good Houdini pin and have to wait for the real data to start coming in.

#50 7 years ago

LOL. After posting my **first** detailed Alien play thoughts on pinside, including my impression that Alien was not an obvious big winner for me at this point but it's early and I'll wait as I'm still interested in "BUYING", I get IMMEDIATELY attacked and brandished over the coals by a few. Look at all the qualifiers (!) I put before coming to a simple and soft conclusion in my original post. That post may not be epic fan boy style, but it's far from hate. Literally throwing an interested potential future buyer under the bus.

Having used the best known Alien game play video out there to look at it, and specifically qualifying my feedback by noting the early condition, I still get attacked. Can't make this stuff up. Yup, it's definitely the messenger's fault for doing that.

Show me where I "lied". Again, I literally mentioned I used the JD video, it was early and I was waiting for real production to draw any firm conclusions. You are saying the same thing.

Obviously Alien is progressing; that's why I said I'm waiting to see where it ends up.

My deliberately broad comments regarding praise, actual experience, perceptions, timelines and fears were neither hating on Alien or specific only to it, so go read my post again; it was about what I've somewhat consistently observed on Pinside with Alien and other various pins. That is also why I earlier and separately asked how people at TPF found Alien.

I put off posting these Alien thoughts on Pinside a while because I've seen most others attacked who did not tow the "best thing since sliced bread" line. I purposely put my **first** detailed Alien play thoughts in this post, no broken record, and in this thread... not in the Alien thread. Aaaannnnnnd, it only took seconds to get attacked .

'
'
'

Quoted from Astropin:

So you don't actually read the forums then.

Astropin, why ad hominem attack? It serves no point and is weak sauce. No, I don't read every single thing on this forum. Isn't that rhetorically obvious? Did I not ask what people thought of Alien at TPF? And I'm not the first or only person to post on pinside that the JD video play of Alien showed clunkiness; sorry it's so offensive to you. The other game play feedback was helpful.

'
'
'

Quoted from InfiniteLives:

I was 1 mode away from completing the left tree at tpf. Ball time was above average for me. Nudged alot to keep it outta the outlanes. Left out lane has some ball save features. Only played 1 game and it skipped player 2s ball 2 and 3... Played great for me as player 1 haha. Sucked to wait 20 minutes to play a game then not let you have your balls tho. we didnt wait again.

Thx for some detailed TPF feedback! This is helpful.
'
'
'

FWIW, I went back and made a few minor changes to better reflect my intent (e.g., a paragraph break) since it got so quickly attacked, lol. The earlier version is already quoted and saved for those who want to see it.

If my earlier post generated such attacks, just wait for the fireworks when an actual requisite serial pinside posting Alien hater gets going. And it's coming. Get a life and let some even slightly alternate perspectives breathe a little, people.
'
'
'

Quoted from Whysnow:

I wonder how many other people as sick of your constant same alternative facts, inability to listen, and outright lies?
Did you actually listen and watch the Stream? It is obvious you eaither didn't or are just lying for the fun of it.
It was stated at the start of the stream and numerous times throughout that the game being filmed was #2 built and a preproduction game. In reality, the only pre-produciton aspect if the under pf light and switch boards. Due to those boards, not all proximity switches were registering 100% and also the lights were not working 100%. Obviusly pretty tough to finish a mode when an intergral switch does not work or a light is not flashing to tell you where to shoot, lol. Luckily I now have the produciton boards in hand and am mid stream of install.
The game is the farthest thing from clunky. It is a new game and shot geometry takes a little time to adjust to. Watch new players step up to any table and it takes a few games to adjust. If you had actually watched the stream you would see a few games where the guys blow it up with major progress. You would also see a game where I hit a 10 way combo that demonstrates the amazing flow and beautiful geometry of the game once you get the shots dialed in.
As for opinions on eventual real world experience. You are smart to always take some time and wait, but I can assure you that things are already making leaps and bounds on the Aliens front. The fact that I have gotten 3 code updates in the first month, a new set of production boards, and all feedback is being taken in and absorbed should be telling. For those that have actual real world experience, the local player base is loving the game and the coin drop does not lie. I can tell you that Aliens is more than 3x the play of any other game in the line up and 3x more than any other new game to debut at this location (a location primarily of players).
For futher real world experience so people are not just hearing from the small group of players in the region, it sure sounds like Aliens got high praise at TPF, it sounds like those games are already onto the production boards and other production parts (only xeno flashers to update later?).
So what is it with you? Are you just commmenting without actually watching the stream, disregaurding the stream is on a pre-production game, lying about the apparent impressions of many at TPF, and/or ignoring the now further reviews from those that played and took home the TPF games?

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My appologies. You initial post read very different than what you have revised to say.

I did not significantly revise my initial post, and was careful not to; both versions are there to compare word-to-word if anyone wishes.

From this post, I did revise and tone down my first response.

'
'
Can't say I'm not magnanimous

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Albuquerque, NM
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-vs-houdini?tu=dzoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.