46%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9a47044ae8362f66380d1c0a0dc448d538da00e7 (resized).jpg
0c34f85f12a7c6639a7412aa2f74165cfdd32931 (resized).jpg
IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 7 years ago

Both look great. Alien speaks to me more and is shipping.... slowly, but shipping, so I'm in on that one. Houdini is a wait and see at this point but looks very promising.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

How many people have actually finished actually finished an Alien mode yet? That was one of many eye openers in the Jack Danger 3+ hr game play video. The video also showed the game still needs work. Made TWD look easy, very very short ball times, and lots of clunkiness (which led to lots of dead ball movements). How was Alien at TPF? I will wait a year after "real" production starts to draw firm conclusions and then look at Alien for a purchase. Plus later purchases means all the inevitable early game issues identified will be fixed. I'm flummoxed at all the unequivocal enthusiasm for a game based on what has actually been shown so far (and how little). I'd rather see a pin earn and build praise based on eventual real experience (which Alien isn't at yet) than suffer a large fall in praise based on the eventual real experience. But I haven't been around Pinside long enough to see what likely is a wash, rinse, repeat cycle here. The multi-year development timelime hasn't helped at all. By the time such pins comes out much of the enthusiasm has moved onto actual new pins... jumping the shark. Unfortunately, I fear the pretty much universal Alien praise on Pinside is setting many people up for eventual disappointment. Expectations have been rah rah'd so high. I'd really enjoy me a good Alien pin and will have to wait for the real data to start coming in.
Houdini looks great. With AP's work record on it, it may actually beat Alien to general public availability, which is a crazy thought (comparing timelines). Again, for me it's too early to draw many conclusions from and I'll patiently wait for "real" production games and feedback. Looks very promising though. I'll wait until a year after Houdini gets into real production and then see what the game looks like and decide on a purchase; it will still be a new pin to me. I'd really enjoy me a good Houdini pin and will have to wait for the real data to start coming in.

So you don't actually read the forums then.

Alien modes are VERY tough to complete (that's why I ordered one). You don't have to complete them to get to the wizard mode.....but the better you do the more bonuses you get in the wizard mode.....awesome.

Clunkiness? You and I must have been watching a different Jack Danger video.

As has been reported here the games were not set up great at TPF.....they needed some tweaking (as all games do).

Alien has not gotten universal praise here. Many would much rather get an AFMr or Houdini. I prefer Alien.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I completed a couple of modes and put up around 100 million with long ball times of course on one of my last games of Alien at TPF.
I also prefer Alien, seems like a great game. The only thing I didn't like is the small screen on playfield. Prefer the larger screen in back.

From owner reports of Full Throttle you get more and more used to that playfield screen and then end up using that one when you play. The big backbox screen is more for spectators.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I went in to TPF with that mindset as well Wolf; my buddy Ralph (thankfully) convinced me to give Houdini a shot.
He was right...
Then again he's been operating games since 72' and knows his $#!t.

I definitely need to see more of Houdini and it's on my radar for the future....but for right now I'm in on an Alien. Alien looks more "brutal" to me and I like brutal games.

Like I said I need to see way more Houdini but it looks like that game "might" be a little on the easy side.

It's the same reason I won't own a Scared Stiff.... that game is way too easy IMHO. Not saying Houdini will be.....just that I need to see more; and play it of course.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Silver Spring, MD
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Festus, MO
$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Astropin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-vs-houdini?tu=Astropin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.