46%

(195 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9a47044ae8362f66380d1c0a0dc448d538da00e7 (resized).jpg
0c34f85f12a7c6639a7412aa2f74165cfdd32931 (resized).jpg
IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

In regard to above, for me, is......Its Great. they Both are winners!

But, I too, need to wait until when I say, "I want it", I know its only 1-2 weeks from being in my home.

It includes all the reasons as above and more.

#52 7 years ago

I sold the BSD I got from oldpinguy in prep.. I'm drinking the new pin Kool aid over here!

#53 7 years ago

awww...I hope it went to a good home, and served you well......

Tough choice then...Between Just these two?

#54 7 years ago

Unless new shit comes to light before pay in full time, I'm in on Alien. I really like the enthusiast vibe I get from dev teams on both projects here and like the idea of supporting a new pin company.

#55 7 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Can't wait for the purge
LOL at whysnow. After posting my **first** detailed Alien play thoughts on pinside, including my impression that Alien was not an obvious big winner for me at this point but it's early and I'll wait as I'm still interested in "BUYING", I get IMMEDIATELY attacked and brandished over the coals. Look at all the qualifiers (!) I put before coming to a simple and soft conclusion in my original post. That post may not be epic fan boy style, but it's far from hate. Literally throwing an interested potential future buyer under the bus.
Having used the best known Alien game play video out there to look at it, and specifically qualifying my feedback by noting the early condition, I still get attacked. Can't make this stuff up. Yup, it's definitely the messenger's fault for doing that.

Show me where I "lied". Again, I literally mentioned I used the JD video, it was early and I was waiting for real production to draw any firm conclusions. You are saying the same thing. Much of your post is so illogical it's actually amusingly difficult to respond to.
Obviously Alien is progressing; that's why I said I'm waiting to see where it ends up. You should not be giving any assurances because that very much did not go over well with Predator. Again, please take a step back and let Andrew and the Alien pin speak for themselves.
My deliberately broad comments regarding praise, actual experience, perceptions, timelines and fears were neither hating on Alien or specific only to it, so go read my post again; it was about what I've somewhat consistently observed on Pinside with Alien and other various pins. That is also why I earlier and separately asked how people at TPF found Alien.
I put off posting these Alien thoughts on Pinside a while because I've seen most others attacked who did not tow the "best thing since sliced bread" line. I purposely put my **first** detailed Alien play thoughts in this post, no broken record, and in this thread... not in the Alien thread. Aaaannnnnnd, it only took seconds to get a few of the fanbois frothing at the mouth and attacking .
You, whysnow, are toxic and literally hurting Heighway and turning some people off of the Alien pin, which you nut hug so dearly, with your antics.
'
'
'

Astropin, why ad hominem attack? It serves no point and is weak sauce. No, I don't read every single thing on this forum. Isn't that rhetorically obvious? Did I not ask what people thought of Alien at TPF? And I'm not the first or only person to post on pinside that the JD video play of Alien showed clunkiness; sorry it's so offensive to you. The other game play feedback was helpful.
'
'
'

Thx for some detailed TPF feedback! This is helpful.
'
'
'
FWIW, I went back and made a few minor changes to better reflect my intent (e.g., a paragraph break) since it got a few people frothing, lol. The earlier version is already quoted and saved for those who want to see it.
If my earlier post generated such attacks, just wait for the fireworks when an actual requisite serial pinside posting Alien hater gets going. And it's coming. Get a life and let some even slightly alternate perspectives breathe a little, people.
'
'
'
Keeping this for a historical record since some people have a revisionist history

My appologies. You initial post read very different than what you have revised to say. It read as trolling and just flat out wrong. It is good to have opinions, it is smart to wait on any new game, but aliens it vastly different than what you originally stated. In short it is very well coded already, a flow monster, and largely gotten strong accolades from the majority i have spoken to.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Having played both this weekend, Houdini takes this easily. I would have bet the house on Alien going into the weekend, but I had much more fun playing Houdini. Will be interesting to see how both play out.

Bingo. I played exactly one game of each at TPF. Alien felt floaty and I can tell it would be better once I found the shots. Houdini I didn't even have to find the shots, they were there for me from the beginning. I liked the old H art, but the chains and other toys probably would not have fit in as much with the previous art.

I want to play both many more times, but from just walking up to a machine (well, after waiting in a big line) each time and seeing how it felt, Houdini is what I would pick.

#57 7 years ago

Houdini for me, not only do I like the theme but it also looks awesome. However, that would be based on how it plays is coded.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

My appologies. You initial post read very different than what you have revised to say.

I did not significantly revise my initial post, and was careful not to; both versions are there to compare word-to-word if anyone wishes.

From this post, I did revise and tone down my first response.

'
'
Can't say I'm not magnanimous

#59 7 years ago

Houdini does not shoot well...shots way too tight and just not fun for me because of that. I was impressed by Alien. I like the layout and it feels unique. Both have some nice visuals and creative features.

Houdini is basically only 50% done though...so not giving up on it.

#60 7 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Alien has not gotten universal praise here. Many would much rather get an AFMr or Houdini. I prefer Alien.

I completed a couple of modes and put up around 100 million with long ball times of course on one of my last games of Alien at TPF.
I also prefer Alien, seems like a great game. The only thing I didn't like is the small screen on playfield. Prefer the larger screen in back.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from perryd:

I completed a couple of modes and put up around 100 million with long ball times of course on one of my last games of Alien at TPF.
I also prefer Alien, seems like a great game. The only thing I didn't like is the small screen on playfield. Prefer the larger screen in back.

From owner reports of Full Throttle you get more and more used to that playfield screen and then end up using that one when you play. The big backbox screen is more for spectators.

#62 7 years ago

Just on pure layout, Houdini had Alien(s) beat in my book.
It shot better, had an impressive lock system and felt super solid.
The new darker artwork fit the theme a bit better too.
(Even though I preferred the original style more.)
Magnets in the hands were cool, as were the faux-chains on top of the pops.

Cabinet was nice enough and I could see someone modding it more to include 3D printed gauges, some wood grain perhaps and maybe some faux-pipe to make it really pop.

You know how creative those steampunk folks can get...

All in all, a very good contender for my future monies.

#63 7 years ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Having played both this weekend, Houdini takes this easily. I would have bet the house on Alien going into the weekend, but I had much more fun playing Houdini. Will be interesting to see how both play out.

Agreed. I had high hopes for Alien, but was disappointed with it (could just need more time with it, and I'm sure with clear audio it would make a huge difference [at home, etc.]). Houdini I hadn't even looked into beforehand, but it was one of the standouts at the show.

#64 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Unless new shit comes to light before pay in full time, I'm in on Alien. I really like the enthusiast vibe I get from dev teams on both projects here and like the idea of supporting a new pin company.

I hope I'm not out of line by saying this, but David Thiel contacted me and asked for the audits off my machine from TPF. He wants to incorporate some 'real world' data into the next code release.

I gotta admit, I'm a bit geeked out, and of course, more than happy to help.

#66 7 years ago

Houdini, not even close. Played both this weekend and Alien felt like a Sega machine to me. Houdini I'm not wild about the theme, but thought the game played pretty well. I know this is subjective, but it had the right feel. Hard to explain, but easy to know when you encounter it. Alien felt off to me. Also, I wasn't biased going into this. I literally had no idea what Houdini was til someone on Facebook said oh hey go play that on one of my pictures and I looked it up.

#67 7 years ago

Alien beats Houdini at his own game as it makes your deposit disappear.

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Let's hope for no more disappearing deposits in pinball

#69 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I sold the BSD I got from oldpinguy in prep.. I'm drinking the new pin Kool aid over here!

Dang that was Art's BSD? Too funny.

#70 7 years ago

The one thing that really impressed me about AP was there was no one there asking for deposits, putting your name on a list, making delivery promises, etc. It was pretty much hears the game, we are pretty proud of were we are at in a short time, we want feedback and to see how it holds up. There was no showing up with your hands out looking to empty peoples wallets.

#71 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Dang that was Art's BSD? Too funny.

I didn't think I'd ever sell that BSD...
Where do you stand on Alien vs Houdini?

#72 7 years ago

I think in order to answer this question you would need a minimum of 50 games played on each title to make an educated decision. If we are going off looks and game play video I would have to lean towards Houdini. My concern with Alien is that I will like it but will not love it. I played Full Throttle and it is a fun game but not a game I would want to own. I do not care for the LCD screen on the playfield and I feel it is a distraction(honestly I hope the lcd on playfield idea go's away). I really like Aliens as a theme so that would really help with wanting to own one if the gameplay blows me away. Houdini on the other hand looks like a classic Williams game, and the theme is also awesome. I love having choices and both are great games but if I had to go in blind today without playing either one I would get a Houdini.

#73 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

WTF man? Do you have any basis for this assertion?

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

dangerous I think to make that sort of assertion about any company without having something to back it up.

#75 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think in order to answer this question you would need a minimum of 50 games played on each title to make an educated decision.

Nope, only three on each Rex.
Houdini FTW!

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I didn't think I'd ever sell that BSD...
Where do you stand on Alien vs Houdini?

That game was pretty pimp, but you've got something better on the way. Games come and go.

Between the two, Alien for sure.

It's really impressive what AP did to get Houdini done in the short amount of time they had.

I just think Alien is a better game and has way more "cool factor" to it. Alien makes my brain go crazy with mod ideas and fun things to do with the game, whereas Houdini just isn't that attractive of a theme to me.

That's not a knock on the Houdini game, I still think it's impressive and can't wait to play it. Just not a game for me.

#77 7 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I just think Alien is a better game and has way more "cool factor" to it

I went in to TPF with that mindset as well Wolf; my buddy Ralph (thankfully) convinced me to give Houdini a shot.
He was right...
Then again he's been operating games since 72' and knows his $#!t.

#78 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I went in to TPF with that mindset as well Wolf; my buddy Ralph (thankfully) convinced me to give Houdini a shot.
He was right...

I definitely need to see more of Houdini and it's on my radar for the future....but for right now I'm in on an Alien. Alien looks more "brutal" to me and I like brutal games.

Like I said I need to see way more Houdini but it looks like that game "might" be a little on the easy side.

It's the same reason I won't own a Scared Stiff.... that game is way too easy IMHO. Not saying Houdini will be.....just that I need to see more; and play it of course.

#79 7 years ago

Alien, and judging by the recent gameplay video and reports, clear winner (I played it at Expo and loved it then) But look at my Avatar.....this is a grail for me, so obviously biased. I NEED this dark themed pin!!!!!.......

#80 7 years ago

Another factor for me is more than two flippers, I think the unique 4 flipper placement mixes it up more than a two flipper pin. The tight shots in Houdini look sweet tho. I can't agree with those that say it's a blowout one way or the other, they both look like players.

#81 7 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Another factor for me is more than two flippers, I think the unique 4 flipper placement mixes it up more than a two flipper pin. The tight shots in Houdini look sweet tho. I can't agree with those that say it's a blowout one way or the other, they both look like players.

Agreed....Houdini is on my "maybe someday" list, but Alien is a definite. There are only a few that are definite "not in my gameroom" titles, but that would derail the thread.

#82 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

He was right...

Ralph definitely knows his $#!t, but ask him what he thinks of Alien.

#83 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

He was right...

I'll always give a game a chance, if it plays awesome I can overlook the theme.

#84 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Ralph definitely knows his $#!t, but ask him what he thinks of Alien.

I already know what he thinks of Alien; we had quite the bromance going both in Banning and at TPF17'.
(Sorry Kyle... )

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I'll always give a game a chance, if it plays awesome I can overlook the theme.

Case in point, Aerosmith!

#85 7 years ago

Easy. In 2017 the answer is Alien. In 2018, Houdini. I'm such a Yes man.

#86 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

I already know what he thinks of Alien; we had quite the bromance going both in Banning and at TPF17'.
(Sorry Kyle... )

Nice, sorry I missed Banning, but Ralph and I flew out to Expo together, so only fair that I share.

#87 7 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

much preferred the play of houdini over alien this weekend. Just seems to be something missing for me on alien...and I love the theme.

But you got beat by your wife on Alien! is that why?

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Alien is a widebody, it's still early in the code stage

Can you provide some examples of why you feel Alien is early in the code stage?

#89 7 years ago

As a distant observer on theme alone....Houdini by a country mile.

#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Can you provide some examples of why you feel Alien is early in the code stage?

No offense, I should have said polish. Is there somethings in the works for the sequencing of the modes so you don't get Jonesy and then Queen battle one after another, you know a build up to the fight, rather than a random event? Now I mind you I'm only taking about the Queen battle not being peppered in. Also the end of game with the Bishop saying " not bad for a human" clip being randomizes with a couple of other clips? Same thing with the "You failed" sequence?

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

No offense, I should have said polish. Is there somethings in the works for the sequencing of the modes so you don't get Jonesy and then Queen battle one after another, you know a build up to the fight, rather than a random event? Now I mind you I'm only taking about the Queen battle not being peppered in. Also the end of game with the Bishop saying " not bad for a human" clip being randomizes with a couple of other clips? Same thing with the "You failed" sequence?

No offense taken; I legitimately want to know how the game is being perceived.

You should never get Find Jonesy and Queen's Nest (or Loader Battle, not sure which one you're referring to, they both involve battling the Queen) back to back, they're in different movies. Shooting any ramp advances the selected mode (until you start it), so it's player's option what mode to play next. There's definitely strategy about when to start or avoid certain modes.

We'll have more end-of-game sequences, yes. As for "You Failed" sequences ... every mode has distinct "You Failed" and "You Won" sequences that are appropriate for each mode's scene, so there are at least 8 of each.

There are certainly aspects of the game that still need polish, primarily around A/V choreography -- current rev is labeled "0.95" intentionally -- but every planned game rule is already in place.

#92 7 years ago

I haven't played either yet, but Houdini is appealing more to me so far due to the theme and overall look of the game. Final code and gameplay are BIG factors to be evaluated yet.

#93 7 years ago

I love the Steampunk style in itself and its perfect with the Houdini theme.

#94 7 years ago

I just can't get into the "Houdini" theme as for me there's no attachment to it. If NIB games were $3k-$4k I could see buying a game like Houdini where I don't care much for the theme but still enjoy the game play.

At $6k-$8k+ theme becomes more important to me when considering a purchase and I also believe critical when it comes to resale value. It will be interesting to see how games like Dialed In and Houdini do long term when it comes to resale value. Original theme games like MM and AFM have years of history behind them but today's original theme games don't (well yet).

Has pricing for Houdini been announced?

#95 7 years ago

Houdini does look interesting, I didnt like the pink/purple mess when first released pics, but think its actually a bit worse now with the huge houdini head and lettering - somewhere in the middle would be awsome. The backglass and screen and ramps look awsome. I want to play one, and actually see a vid where you can here the music and sounds would be great.

Aliens looks really great to me, everything fits - sounds are great and layout looks sweet.

Id take aliens, but houdini is looking promising!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Mod Magic!

$ 7,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 45.00
Playfield - Plastics
Mod Magic!

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 685.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
PMP Amusements

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fitchburg, WI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

6,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 95 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-vs-houdini/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.