Z19-1 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Balls in return (resized).JPG
Ball return (resized).JPG
Control board (resized).JPG
Display (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

I am trying to troubleshoot two recent issues with my Alien Star game.

1) The top ("a") segments of the Player 1 and Player 2 score displays are not lit up. At first I thought it was the displays, but apparently some issues will appear in both displays since they share the same circuitry. All the connectors to the displays are straight and clean. Also, I don't see any obvious problems on the control board but I'm not sure what/where I should be checking. I have the schematics and I'm pretty handy, but the electronics look a little complicated, so I'm looking for some guidance with this issue.

2) I have an intermittent problem with the ball return. It suddenly stopped working and when I finally got around to investigating, it started to work again after fiddling with the outhole coil. After playing several games, the return stopped working and that's when I realized the issue is with the coil which opens to allow the ball to advance to the shooting position. Mechanically it appears to be closing the contacts when the ball hits the wire, but the coil doesn't move. I tested the resistance of the coil which is 15.6 ohms, which is also the the same reading as the outhole coil which is working properly. Not sure what to do next.

Ball return (resized).JPGBall return (resized).JPGControl board (resized).JPGControl board (resized).JPGDisplay (resized).JPGDisplay (resized).JPG
#2 3 years ago

If you swap P1 and P3, does the issue stay with the display?

Does the trough release coil fire in coil test? Does the trough switch register in switch test if you roll a ball in there?

#3 3 years ago

The issue does not stay with the display when P1 and P3 are switched.

I'm not sure about the nomenclature of the ball return coils, but if I start the game with the two balls sitting in the outhole, that coil activates and pushes the first ball and then the second ball towards the second coil. The second coil does not activate to allow the first ball to the shooter. If I then take the second ball and drop it back into the outhole, that coil sends it back up the ramp but the second coil doesn't activate and the two balls remain behind that coil. Also, once the second ball is pushed behind the first ball, the sound stops and the playfield lights go out as if the game is over, although the display stays lit and P1 score is blinking "00" and ball-in-play display is "1", as if waiting for ball to be played. I'm not sure how to test the coils aside from the basic resistance test with power off. Frustrating, since the return was working fine a few days ago.

Balls in return (resized).JPGBalls in return (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago

Test the switch under the two balls on the trough.

Segments for displays 1+2 are both controlled via the 'A' segment group on the MPU:pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Those segments are controlled by Z19:pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

If you've already checked connectors replacing that would be my next step

#5 3 years ago

- So, the connectors at Z19 appear to be solid (see pics), so I'm guessing I should start by replacing that and see what happens.(?)

- When the balls are in the trough, the leaf contacts of the switch are closed and when I check for continuity at the wires coming from the switch I get a reading of 3 ohms. This is consistent with the reading I get on the outhole switch which is working properly. As I noted earlier, as soon as the trough switch closes the sound stops and playfield lights go out, and the only way I can restart the machine is to turn the power off and on.

Thanks for the guidance, zacaj! To be honest I've never had to work on the electronics/circuitry of a pinball machine, so I'm figuring it out as I go along. I've had the machine for 20+ years and have only had to perform routine maintenance (bulb and bumper replacement, etc).

Z19-1 (resized).JPGZ19-1 (resized).JPGZ19-2 (resized).JPGZ19-2 (resized).JPG
#6 3 years ago

Is the missing segment a new issue? It looks like the corner of your board is actually broken off, and some of the traces for the segments do go right in that area...

I'm not exactly sure how the trough is supposed to work on this game. I know Alien Star had two different versions because the first one had an issue with the trough logic, but my Alien Star isn't the same version as yours. Does your trough switch close when one ball is in the trough, or only when both balls are in there?

#7 3 years ago

The display issue just started, never happened in the past. I didn't even notice the chipped board edge until you pointed it out. However, that would explain the unusual red wire which you can see in the photo. It appears that the board corner chipped and was subsequently repaired by soldering the thin red wire to splice the affected circuit. The soldering looks to be solid, so don't think that would be the cause of the issue. I'll try to check schematic to see what that red wire circuit does.

As of right now, the trough switch closes when the first ball hits the trough. The trigger wire and leaf contacts are "adjustable", so I'm not sure if that's supposed to be correct or whether the switch is supposed to be closed only when the second ball hits the trough.

1 week later
#8 3 years ago

Is there any way to test an IC while still on the circuit board to determine if it is the problem? Or should I just replace the IC since it MAY be the problem and see if that's the solution?

#9 3 years ago

If you have a logic probe or something you could check the output pin for that segment, see if it's got activity

#10 3 years ago

Thanks zacaj. That's a little above my expertise so I may check locally for assistance. Would like to solve that ball return problem, since I can live with the display issue for now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Nashville, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Madison, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-star-display-and-ball-return-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.