65F82BDA-6957-4847-86F6-A1EB7AF178A8 (resized).jpeg
DSC_0009 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
alien-kernel (resized).jpg
IMG_0344 (resized).jpg
DSC_0009 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
salute.gif
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 4 years ago

There is one free on the order side (facing coin door)

#52 4 years ago

Updated to 1.3 without issue. Everything seems to be working fine but not a lot of playtime on it yet.

#53 4 years ago

I just played my first game. I had my best game ever. Look at this score!! My best score before was 568 Million. I had a really good Hypersleep Multiball combined with Sentry Gun Multiball plus I had 2x on the playfield and added 2x with my weapon. BUT I am not sure if the weapons worked correct. It felt like I always had new weapons... but I am not sure as I was so focused on the gameplay. But I honestly have no idea how I made that score...

IMG_0344 (resized).jpgIMG_0344 (resized).jpg
#54 4 years ago

I moved back to 1.2 and the ball through problem has disappeared. I will investigate further.

So the issue is: when you loose a ball (it drains), you get a new one. Always. It never stops giving new balls.
When one drains, you get one back.
Only with 1.3, not with 1.2

If there are more who have this, please post.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I moved back to 1.2 and the ball through problem has disappeared. I will investigate further.
So the issue is: when you loose a ball (it drains), you get a new one. Always. It never stops giving new balls.

No but it seems like I had the weapon always lit as well along with the air lock eject. I ve no idea if the issue come from 1.3 or my pin yet so i need to play more. i might try a factory reser to see if it helps.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

No but it seems like I had the weapon always lit as well along with the air lock eject. I ve no idea if the issue come from 1.3 or my pin yet so i need to play more. i might try a factory reser to see if it helps.

There may be issues with the adjustment data. I would go through all of the adjustments and see if they look right.

A factory reset would be the next thing to try.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Does the ball save light blink when this happens? Do you get sound and display effects for the ball save?

Check all of your trough switches and connectors to make sure they look ok. Could be something intermittent.

If you can dump a log file after this happens and send it to me, I can investigate.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I'm still on 1.2 at FlipoutLondon and I've had a couple of reports over the last year of "infinte ball save" games so I'm hoping this problem has been addressed with the new code. Seems like it hasn't though. What I'd like to do is put back the 6.3A fuse for the 75V AC supply in place of the current 8A fuse which has allowed the machine to keep working without popping the fuse every few days as it used to do.
Mike.

#59 4 years ago

Never ending balls:

I had this issues in the past once with 1.2
I opened the door while playing, changed in the menus around, closed the door and got ball after ball after ball..
Maybe you did the same ?

I am running 1.3 but made only 2 games. Behavior was normal, could not detect any problem.
Also on 1.2 if in a mode .. the pinball machine is very helpfull and get the ball very very often out again. Outside of a mode , gone is gone. Maybe a feature and not a bug.

#60 4 years ago

I do run also on 1.3 and coundn't detect any of the reported issues, but also here only 3 games I made.
Looking to play today and will report if there are any such like unlimited weapons, etc.
I did notice that also my 75V AC Supply fuse didn't blow (I switched back to 6,3 A sb again) and the LED flickering nearby flipperfingers has gone so far since running 1.3. (I/O Bords always on 0.9).
Regards Pat

#61 4 years ago

Hey guys I just installed 1.3, it took like a millisecond. I put it on a usb, inserted it, and then did the usb update, it literally only took 1 second then it says pinball brothers version 1.3. Is this correct? Is there anything else Im supposed to update? It didnt get rid of my right flipper flashing unfortunately, and the weirdest thing is the left siren now turns very very slow compared to the right. Any suggestions?

#62 4 years ago

Thank you Brian for your great work.

I was epsecially looking forward to this change:

- Add adjustment "SWAP L. SLING/FLIPPER COIL" (default: NO), for owners who
wish to rewire their games by swapping the coil numbers for the left
slingshot and the left flipper. This eliminates the buzzing noise from the
left flipper when held.

So, I set SWAP L. SLING/FLIPPER COIL": YES and changed these coils' wires.
Left sling shot and flipper worked a they should, but right flippers or slingshot didn't work instead of that the left jet bumper.

Setting the adjustment back (Swap L. Sling/ Flipper Coil: NO) everything on the right side is working as before (also on the left side inclusive the beeping)...

Any suggestions/ ideas..?

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from wizzard:

Thank you Brian for your great work.
I was epsecially looking forward to this change:
Left sling shot and flipper worked a they should, but right flippers or slingshot didn't work instead of that the left jet bumper.
Any suggestions/ ideas..?

I've gotten a few reports of this not working. I'll have to look at the code and try to understand why. I never actually tried this on my game as it was behaving ok for me. I thought it would just work - sorry about that.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

I've gotten a few reports of this not working. I'll have to look at the code and try to understand why. I never actually tried this on my game as it was behaving ok for me. I thought it would just work - sorry about that.

Never mind. It just sounds fantastic to get with the coil swap rid of the beeping (and mine is really loud).

#65 4 years ago

I played some games right now and couldn’t detect any problems. I can switch the weapons like I want, I guess I do get now all weapons in the order, so once using the short gun I have to collect all other weapons first before getting short gun again, etc... I‘m not sure but I think previously It started already with the „lowest“ weapon while fulfilling all weapon targets. Maybe a new default setup?
Pat

#66 4 years ago

Up to around 20 games on it so far...no glitches....I now must play better....must get to All Out War without lifting the glass!!!!

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

I played some games right now and couldn’t detect any problems. I can switch the weapons like I want, I guess I do get now all weapons in the order, so once using the short gun I have to collect all other weapons first before getting short gun again, etc... I‘m not sure but I think previously It started already with the „lowest“ weapon while fulfilling all weapon targets. Maybe a new default setup?
Pat

That's basically correct. 1.2 *would* award the weapons in order, but the selection logic on the buy-in button would often not allow you to choose the higher ones.

1.3 fixes the selection so you can cycle through all earned weapons. Also, when you cash in a weapon, the next weapon automatically selected will always be the next higher one, rather than defaulting to the first one again.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Yeah I see the problem, this is fixable. I'll need to get PB permission to do any more changes, though. For now I'll start a bug list and put this on it. Thanks for the report.

#69 4 years ago

Thank you Brian,

I'm sure you will get the permission and they'll realize it'll only make the game better.

#70 4 years ago

Brian,

I have made a video and attached it.
In the video I let it drain immediately, but if I flip I don't get a new one until it drains.
So it is indeed best described as infinite ballsave.

I have put 1.2 back, this plays fine.

I have not tried yet pressing the 'factory default' in the settings.
As far as I know, most is default, I just disabled the xenomorph.

I will retry updating to 1.3 tonight and play again.
I will export the errorlog as well.

#71 4 years ago

Also a nice to have on the code would be a little more shaker action; it is pretty limited in use.
I'm curious on other people's opinion on this.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Brian,
I have made a video and attached it.
In the video I let it drain immediately, but if I flip I don't get a new one until it drains.
So it is indeed best described as infinite ballsave.

This doesn't feel like a ballsave issue, it looks like a trough issue. There were zero changes to the ball save logic in 1.3.

I can see it launching a second ball before the first one has drained. This would happen if one of the trough switches is not opening and the game thinks the first ball never made it out of the trough.

Note when this happens, the game *will* eventually give up, but only after retrying 20 times. If you let it run long enough and then see it stop eventually, this would confirm that's what's happening.

I'd also suggest running switch test and seeing how the trough switches are reporting. Manually eject a ball or two and you should see the switches change accordingly.

#73 4 years ago

Wow!! Nice work! Now I need to find an Alien

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

This doesn't feel like a ballsave issue, it looks like a trough issue. There were zero changes to the ball save logic in 1.3.
I can see it launching a second ball before the first one has drained. This would happen if one of the trough switches is not opening and the game thinks the first ball never made it out of the trough.
Note when this happens, the game *will* eventually give up, but only after retrying 20 times. If you let it run long enough and then see it stop eventually, this would confirm that's what's happening.
I'd also suggest running switch test and seeing how the trough switches are reporting. Manually eject a ball or two and you should see the switches change accordingly.

I appreiciate your answer, but if you read my description: in the video I dont flip so it drains. I have always one ball. When it drains I get a new one. It doesnt keep adding balls. 1 ball only in play. I only get a new one when it drains.

It doesnt stop after 20 balls; I will try and see how long it goes on.

The through works fine in the tests.

I dont have it with 1.2, with 1.3 its like in the video. Every game.

#75 4 years ago

Wow, nice work!

#76 4 years ago

The game play great!
Does anyone has done this swap and could share a picture where to swap is done?

Add adjustment "SWAP L. SLING/FLIPPER COIL" (default: NO), for owners who
wish to rewire their games by swapping the coil numbers for the left
slingshot and the left flipper. This eliminates the buzzing noise from the
left flipper when held.

#77 4 years ago

You just have to swap the wiring from the coils, left sling and left lower flipperfinger - that's it.
But it doesn't work, you will have a malfunction with the the left bumper coil!!!
We have to wait for a new update, Brian tested the settings on a simulation and not in a real game, no hardware envirenment!

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

You just have to swap the wiring from the coils, left sling and left lower flipperfinger - that's it.
But it doesn't work, you will have a malfunction with the the left bumper coil!!!
We have to wait for a new update, Brian tested the settings on a simulation and not in a real game, no hardware envirenment!

Thanks for the info

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

Also a nice to have on the code would be a little more shaker action; it is pretty limited in use.
I'm curious on other people's opinion on this.

Agreed, please could there be more shaker motor action please especially in some of the modes in Aliens like Queens Nest and Loader Battle and more in Alien Self Destruct mode would be great.

ALSO - any chance of an option for maybe 1-2 seconds extra delay when the Ambush MB starts when everything goes black just before the Xeno tongue grabs the ball. I feel like this slight extra delay would add to the dramatic effect for the player...

#81 4 years ago

So I did the update and it seemed to work fine. The machine was off for a few days and now I turned it on and got this

alien-kernel (resized).jpgalien-kernel (resized).jpg
#82 4 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

So I did the update and it seemed to work fine. The machine was off for a few days and now I turned it on and got this [quoted image]

Needs software installed from scratch again.. wonder why it did that now

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Needs software installed from scratch again.. wonder why it did that now

Can I do that from a flash drive? Where do I get the image?

#84 4 years ago

You need an Ubuntu-Environment on an USB Flashdrive to boot the system.
Then you have to jump into the command line interpreter to type in some commands to reinstall an image of the game.

Here's a description how to do that:

http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html

#85 4 years ago

So I did the update and it seemed to work fine. The machine was off for a few days and now I turned it on and got this [quoted image]

I'd try rebooting (power cycling), if you haven't done that already. Mine would do that on occasion prior to the update...just a thought.

#86 4 years ago

I've seen cases where this happened, but then rebooting the game again it went away. So I would try power-cycling a couple of times before a reinstall.

You could also try putting the USB stick with the software update back in and power cycle; if the game code is missing, it can be reinstalled this way without having to go into the menu system.

This isn't caused by the software update, this is an existing issue with the underlying operating system that we use.

#87 4 years ago

I have tried several reboots, always the same... Also booted it on a Mint rescue drive and examined the 8GB HD for obvious problems, fsck'ed it and it passes fine... Guess I'll have to try a reinstall.

#88 4 years ago

I have tried several reboots, always the same... Also booted it on a Mint rescue drive and examined the 8GB HD for obvious problems, fsck'ed it and it passes fine... Guess I'll have to try a reinstall.

It’s not that hard, but when I did it I needed a multi USB port thingy so I could put the usb drive, and then separate usb keyboard/mouse.

#89 4 years ago

The reinstall went ok and I immediately upped it to 1.3 from 1.02 (presume that's safe to do!)

I wonder if the os could get corrupted by turning it off without a proper shutdown of the linux system, even though that's obviously how it is designed to be? I have certainly had that happen to me on other computers before, though my Raspberry Pi powered CCC seems to have survived several hundred instant poweroffs.

Hmmm... I might do an image dump of the current system to save for comparison if it happens again.

#90 4 years ago

The reinstall went ok and I immediately upped it to 1.3 from 1.02 (presume that's safe to do!)
I wonder if the os could get corrupted by turning it off without a proper shutdown of the linux system, even though that's obviously how it is designed to be? I have certainly had that happen to me on other computers before, though my Raspberry Pi powered CCC seems to have survived several hundred instant poweroffs.
Hmmm... I might do an image dump of the current system to save for comparison if it happens again.

Yeah that’s weird. Computers.. sheesh .

#91 4 years ago

The mainboard has 6 USB-Ports.
2 High Speed 3.0, 2 x Standard Ports next to them and 2 x Standard Ports in front.
It's not necessary to use a Hub or unplug another port.
The Ports in front are easy to reach and my advice is to plug in two USB cables to have the connection behind the coin door for service.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#92 4 years ago

The Update from 1.02 to 1.2 is not only replacing the game code (files "pinprog" and "vidprog") as the 1.3 update does, but also adds/replaces more than 100 audio files, a video and some more files. The V1.2 update also includes the V0.8 and V0.9 firmware together with the firmware setup SW "avrdude".

Long explanation short: Do not skip 1.2.

#93 4 years ago

@bcd, thank you for your time/effort, etc I getting this to the community. I/we really appreciate it. My update just occurred and only one game in so far. Will update this thread if I find anything interesting. I just wanted to thank you publicly. Take care.

#94 4 years ago

I have an update on my ball problem.
I replaced the balls and checked all the cables and refixed the through. I thought it would solve it, but no unfortunately.

The issue: I get a new ball, always. But ONLY when it drains. Brian said it can't be a software issue; what can it be?

See attached a new video:

Does anyone have some tips on what to do?
Of course I ran IO tests (all switches detect) and did all the obvious checking of cables and plugs.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

The mainboard has 6 USB-Ports.
2 High Speed 3.0, 2 x Standard Ports next to them and 2 x Standard Ports in front.
It's not necessary to use a Hub or unplug another port.
The Ports in front are easy to reach and my advice is to plug in two USB cables to have the connection behind the coin door for service.
[quoted image]

Wait what??? Has it been common knowledge prior that there are (2x) 3.0 USB, and the rest are 2.0?

Seems very, very unlikely, and what would the purpose be? If this were the case, what's the connectivity speed of the I/O boards ( can't be 3.0 as connection is not standard)? Fishy...

#96 4 years ago

Use the USB 2.0 only for the IO-Board-Support!
The other two 3.0 can be used for Keyboard/Mouse-Dongle and Flash Drive.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Use the USB 2.0 only for the IO-Board-Support!
The other two 3.0 can be used for Keyboard/Mouse-Dongle and Flash Drive.

My point was that standard connectivity on the I/O boards do not accept USB 3.0 (different, physical connector)

I'd like to understand the purpose of a CPU to run (2x) different speeds of connectivity, via USB. Not sure I've ever encountered it before.

It's been awhile, but I recall all available USB ports on the cpu had equal access.

#98 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

My point was that standard connectivity on the I/O boards do not accept USB 3.0 (different, physical connector)
I'd like to understand the purpose of a CPU to run (2x) different speeds of connectivity, via USB. Not sure I've ever encountered it before.
It's been awhile, but I recall all available USB ports on the cpu had equal access.

Unless drivers are a part of the O/S (which I doubt USB3.0 forms any part of Alien O/S), then these USB3.0 ports would simply revert to performing the function of USB2.0 ... the sockets are downward compatible. Without the drivers they are just USB2 sockets, easy.

Trying to use USB3 Cables is obviously not possible, nor intended.

It's not even an issue. Use the extra slots for the flash drive and mouse/keyboard anyway, as Averell pointed out.

I ran usb extensions from them to the front of the cab as well. Keyboard and mouse Both into one of them, the other takes USB2 flash drive. Update, No worries!

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Unless drivers are a part of the O/S (which I doubt USB3.0 forms any part of Alien O/S), then these USB3.0 ports would simply revert to performing the function of USB2.0 ... the sockets are downward compatible. Without the drivers they are just USB2 sockets, easy.
Trying to use USB3 Cables is obviously not possible, nor intended.
It's not even an issue. Use the extra slots for the flash drive and mouse/keyboard anyway, as Averell pointed out.
I ran usb extensions from them to the front of the cab as well. Keyboard and mouse Both into one of them, the other takes USB2 flash drive. Update, No worries!

I've updated, connected keyboard, mouse, swapped positions of I/O boards relative to the CPU....zero problems. Why would USB 3.0 even be there? I get the backward compatibility, just not the reasoning...

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I've updated, connected keyboard, mouse, swapped positions of I/O boards relative to the CPU....zero problems. Why would USB 3.0 even be there? I get the backward compatibility, just not the reasoning...

It's just a small form factor motherboard, AMD, with generic options.... except that it has 4x DVI video.

To "delete" generic USB3 hardware and revert to USB2 would likely cost More, not less (and for no need or reason). That would be the reason why it is there even though not utilised.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 216 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-software-13/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.