(Topic ID: 214527)

Alien SE vs LE

By CalibrunKnight

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0880 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Maybe I'm just too picky or reading to much into it, but there are a number of things hold me back from picking up an Alien machine.

There appears to be no official break down on what you get from the LE over the SE. I've seen a few site give thier description of the difference but it's their interpretation. They list the same features on the LE that you get with the SE, just jazz up the description.

A number of site show the SE machines with toppers and blades yet those are listed as a special feature of the LE.

The biggest thing I haven't seen enough chatter about is the Queens chamber. The big cylinder they highlight in the preview video and list as a feature, yet every demo video I have seen, there is an LCD in the upper left playing field.

Is it just me? Am I the only one not comfortable throwing major cash down on something so many unknowns?

#2 6 years ago

Those wouldn’t be the biggest concerns I had with this title, make sure you are comfortable with the manufacturing status of the game...

#3 6 years ago

I don't know do you want to lose $7,000 or $8,000?

Always a tough choice.

#4 6 years ago

Does the SE in Alien SE stand for Shipped Edition? That's the one I'd go for...well, on second thought, I went with Iron Maiden.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Always a tough choice.

Harsh but true. It's a gamble right now to buy an Alien from Heighway. Maybe you would get one, maybe not. Maybe proprietary parts will be available, maybe not. Too risky at the moment in my opinion.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Starting price for an SE is 8k now. After you add the LE features, you'll be ~8600. Since all the LE features can be added, there really isn't to much difference in the LE. Alternative art, numbered plaque, and colored trim.

#7 6 years ago

My SE with added beacons and power coated including the ramps.

IMG_0880 (resized).JPGIMG_0880 (resized).JPG

#8 6 years ago

Like never getting the game? if your all good with pissing $ down the drain then u might as well go with the LE

#9 6 years ago

See violinfather, yours has the LCD screen in the upper playing field instead of the Queens chamber. That's literally one of the seeing points of the game. Bash the target enough and you reveal the queen as you work on one of the missions. And yet, there's an LCD screen....

#10 6 years ago

Queens chamber included a queen Xeno figure, and it may have been on a rotating table. However that was eliminated from final design over a year ago and was replaced with the LCD screen. It conveys important info and is a much better solution.

The model you should buy is the one that's available from CT. It is the bird in hand. HP has not been able to provide a reliable supply of upgrades for purchase later, so also buy whatever features are offered on the available game.

#11 6 years ago

They never shipped with a Queens chamber. Only the LCD screen. If you buy through Cointaker you won't lose your money. The people that lost money are the ones that bought from HP directly. The bigger question will be how many problems does your new game come with and can they be fixed. If you do decide on an Alien, installing the beacons yourself is quite easy for around $50. For that reason alone I would suggest looking at the SE if you like the game. When the game works correctly it is a piece of art from both an aesthetic and gameplay perspective. When it doesn't, it is a piece of sh*t.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from swenny:

When the game works correctly it is a piece of art from both an aesthetic and gameplay perspective. When it doesn't, it is a piece of sh*t.

... that looks beautiful.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from CalibrunKnight:

See violinfather, yours has the LCD screen in the upper playing field instead of the Queens chamber. That's literally one of the seeing points of the game. Bash the target enough and you reveal the queen as you work on one of the missions. And yet, there's an LCD screen....

The dumb ass Queen coffee can hasn't been a thing on the game for years. It looked like shit, it's not a "seeing point", scrapping it was one of the smartest things that was done on the game.

#14 6 years ago

Based on the history I'm amazed that anyone puts up a penny for one of these games....Game looks fun, and I love the theme, but zero chance I would put down anything until games are actually in the states and shipping....

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from CalibrunKnight:

Is it just me? Am I the only one not comfortable throwing major cash down on something so many unknowns?

Nah, just throw caution to the wind and pre-order whatever makes you happy. Thousands of pinsiders can't be wrong.

1 week later
    #16 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nah, just throw caution to the wind and pre-order whatever makes you happy. Thousands of pinsiders can't be wrong.

I'd say "WHOOPS" but I could smell the sarcasm from here.

#17 5 years ago

Dodged a bullet, but still feel burned not having a dream theme and sad to see some many people scammed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-se-vs-le and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.