• 339 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinballRulez
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

blew his stack (resized).jpg
Heighway (resized).jpg
blowing stack (resized).jpg
blew his stack (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
captain obvious (resized).jpg
highwaycab1.1 (resized).jpg
good-day-sir (resized).png
Alien on neck (resized).jpg
steve-martin-dirty-rotten-scoundrels (resized).jpg
b1f9885f4a9cb2bd47892dee106692638109c0b9 (resized).jpg
game_of_thrones_stern_pinball_7 (resized).jpg
LowerPlayingBoard (resized).jpg

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

P2K was never meant to 'swap' back and forth at will. It was designed to easily upgrade to a new game. Once per new kit. Hence the cabinets were covered with supplied permanent decals to match the new game at time of upgrade0

Incorrect. Skip to 8:20.

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i am buying a full throttle playfield. so i think they will also sell more full throttle because of alien. i can hardly wait!!

I traded away my Full Throttle because I'm getting Alien. The kit system is the shit! Also, Full Throttle is a blast to play, I can't wait to have it back.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Why respond with something so lazy and uninspired. Say what you think.

I "think" you are being a troll at this point...and probably all points previous actually...I already said good day.

#254 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I "think" you are being a troll at this point...and probably all points previous actually...I already said good day.

Not at all. I truly care about aesthetics, and Alien has unbelievable potential that I see as being wasted.

But I see I am arguing to a brick wall and only creating more noise:signal at this point so I will withdraw.

Good day.

#255 2 years ago

I can say that in person the Heighway cabinet actually loooks very nice! The lit up art looks ultra modern and has splash. Even between other games it gives a cool glow with the lights.

I also like the idea of aftermarket decals if someone wants to dress up the sides more.

What is most important to me is what is under the glass and so far Heighway has impressed the most in that area!

I think anyone being critical needs to just chillax for a few days and play the thing at expo. then you can resume being overly critical and complaining if you want.

#256 2 years ago

Havn't looked at this in a couple days. I start reading and realize there are way to many critics.
Go home, make a machine, make an art package, design a pin. Program it, make it, make 500 to sell.
Now come back and judge someone else's hard work.
For those that like to judge and criticise...tisk tisk....you have no clue the work involved.
Aurich art package is amazing. Highway pinball now bringing a unique pin that you can swap into your full throttle. No-one is attempting this, much less pulling it off like this team.
Shame on all the nay-Sayers.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Havn't looked at this in a couple days. I start reading and realize there are way to many critics.
Go home, make a machine, make an art package, design a pin. Program it, make it, make 500 to sell.

captain obvious (resized).jpg

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the old school purists and their bullshit, I now have the ability to own multiple games with one cab and a very easy system to change them at will, how could anyone dislike this, cab art? I think Stern and all manufactures should adopt this method, cheaper games, cheaper shipping and so much easier to swap with other people or the ability to pick up new games without needing to take someone or borrow a truck etc.

I agree 110%

This system should have been the way to go since 1999 when was invented. Makes so much more sense.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Incorrect. Skip to 8:20.
» YouTube video

I dunno...they specifically don't mention/show changeable artwork in the context of cabinet art being removeable. They just dance around that point. I think you had the option of generic cab artwork, so just changing the play field and translite would suffice if you intended to go that route (swapping games back and forth in locations). I stand by my assertion that the cabinet artwork decals were a one way change. It's not a huge deal anyway...but P2K was entirely for business routing and ease of upgrading machines every year or so. Hieghway has refined that concept for consumer home use.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I do not agree with 99.9% of the critics. I think this machine will be amazing.
But you don't need to be an expert or someone in the business to have your opinion. (Ex: I don't need to be a professional pilot to have an opinion on my car...)
Why do the critics bother so much? Who cares if someone doesn't like the machine? When I like a machine I buy it and I don't care what people say!
It's annoying to see that someone can't have a negative opinion on a machine. That's what this forum is for.. to talk about the pins!

My opinion: The pf swap system is the best invention in pinball since the 90's. It's a killer!
And Alien looks great! I bet it will play great!

#261 2 years ago

I think it amazing what they have done. Most companies would want to sell more cabinets for more money so i love the idea of having the option to change out games for cheaper. Its almost like buy 3 get one free! 18,000 for 4 games or 18,000 for 3 games.

#262 2 years ago

I'm looking forward to the day when there are several Heighway titles/kits available, and people are selling/swapping/trading them by putting the playfield in the back of the car, and not having to lug a cabinet around and up/down stairs.

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I'm looking forward to the day when there are several Heighway titles/kits available, and people are selling/swapping/trading them by putting the playfield in the back of the car, and not having to lug a cabinet around and up/down stairs.

I have a dream that one day this pinball nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these lighter pinball playfields instead of full cabinets to be self-evident, that all pinball machines are not created equal."

#264 2 years ago

Typical pinsider: we need more manufacturers and innovation in the pinball industry!

Someone goes and does it.

Typical pinsider: I don't like change, keep everything the same!

Some folk will never be happy no matter what you do

#265 2 years ago

One of my favorite things in the hobby is when a new game is revealed and seeing the first pictures of a new layout. I'm really excited about Alien and think it looks awesome. I like the variety of paths for the ball and the exclusive shots for each flipper. I think the foundation is there for a great game..of course only time will tell how everything comes together as far as code, callouts, clips, and toys comes together. I love a layout that captures the imagination and this fits that bill easily.

#266 2 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

Anyone not liking the sides need not worry. I'm sure there will be options for graphics. If not from Heighway then from 3rd party guys in the mod scene:

Good point. I could see custom inserts being made also .

#267 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Yes I did. It is incredibly clear that the process of doing this shouldn't take too much time. My concern is not timing but damage.

Do you not work on/shop your own games? You are more likely to damage something on a Stern ,WMS/BLY etc. than Heighway's design. 3 connections & bam it's coming out. It's like a freaking taboggan. I'm curious if you've seen a Heighway game in person , they look nice & well built especially with the large monitor in the backbox.

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from moto_cat:

Do you not work on/shop your own games? You are more likely to damage something on a Stern ,WMS/BLY etc. than Heighway's design. 3 connections & bam it's coming out. It's like a freaking taboggan. I'm curious if you've seen a Heighway game in person , they look nice & well built especially with the large monitor in the backbox.

No kidding. Anyone who lifts the playfield on a new Stern Pro with the ridiculous "service pegs" for the first time have at least a 50% chance of immediately twisting the playfield and scraping the inside of the cabinet with the playfield.

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from windoesnot:

Typical pinsider: we need more manufacturers and innovation in the pinball industry!

At this point, we need fewer manufacturers. And we don't need innovation, either. Stern puts out the best games, proving this.

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At this point, we need fewer manufacturers. And we don't need innovation, either. Stern puts out the best games, proving this.

* we also need QC people

#271 2 years ago

and we should start eliminating luxury parts like service rails...total boondoggle for the service rail lobby

#272 2 years ago

Loving all the critics on this thread.....hopefully, this insures an easier line to get through and play the machine at the reveal party.

It's just amazing how this community has become so hostile towards even the best attempts to bring something exciting to a dying hobby. It wears on enthusiasts, discourages newbies, and even distro's have told me they have grown weary of the constant bashing of anything and everything..

I think the lit side panels on the cabinet look f**king great...sets it apart from any (ANY) other cab I've seen, especially in a dark room.

Also believe the playfield art will strike a great balance, combined with the interactive rgb lightshow, and fiber ramps.

will it be perfect...NO.....will it be a great machine that many talented people have invested years of development and passion towards..ABSOLUTELY!!!!

let's wait a week until the game is actually revealed, then continue .......just put the bashing in the next "TRONVE" thread please...sick of this shit......(tough day at work, as you can probably guess)

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Total bollocks.

#274 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

sounds like someone is on the payroll

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

sounds like someone is on the payroll

yeah right.

I own zero sterns and have been bitching about Stern games in various ways since most of you newbies had no idea pinball machines were still being made. I do, however, play pinball on location all of the time, and I know who is putting out quality machines with the best code.

You tell me how having SEVEN (?) pinball manufacturers is gonna work out.

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I really like this aspect too. I'm just wondering how much 'freedom' there is to innovate while having certain parameters locked in. You can't do a playfield underneath for example. Not a big deal or anything but you couldn't do something like Lebowski on this platform.

#277 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

since most of you newbies had no idea pinball machines were still being made.

Ive been collecting since the early 90s. who you calling a newbie?

I also play pinball on location all the time so thats not a talking point.

The more diversity in any situation will create the best atmosphere for progress and produce the best ideas.
This is true in any situation not just pinball.

I happen to disagree with your premise and think you need to be more open minded.
your statement does however come off like you are a schill for Stern (intended or not)
no offense intended just furthering the discussion.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You tell me how having SEVEN (?) pinball manufacturers is gonna work out.

Some will succeed, some will fail, and the best ideas from all of them will be used on newer machines.

Take LCD screens as an example. Stern would never have implemented that technology unless another manafacturer created the demand

--Jeff

#278 2 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Ive been collecting since the early 90s. who you calling a newbie?
I also play pinball on location all the time so thats not a talking point.
The more diversity in any situation will create the best atmosphere for progress and produce the best ideas.
This is true in any situation not just pinball.
I happen to disagree with your premise and think you need to be more open minded.
your statement does however come off like you are a schill for Stern (intended or not)
no offense intended just furthering the discussion.
--Jeff

It's shill! And if you want to call me a shill, I'll call you a newbie.

I have no opinion on the heighway stuff. If it's any good, it will probably survive. I'm pointing out that the ridiculous proliferation of pinball manufacturers is destined to crumble under it's weight, and soon. We have more pinball companies now than we did during the golden age of the game, the 1950s. 6 years ago there was one company and it was weeks away from bankruptcy.

As far as innovation, pinsiders are completely too obsessed with it. Pinball thrives because it's pinball, not because of any innovations. Everybody is finally getting the LCD screens they've been begging for for years on all of the new games, is it really gonna make a difference? Is that really an innovation when I've had an LCD screen on my phone for 10 years?

Make good games with good code. That's the magic formula here. I think Houdini is gonna really show you what all that "innovation" gets you, but that's another thread entirely.

#279 2 years ago

Scottish variant. Duh.

PS grammar police and carguments are grounds for thread eject.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I have no opinion on the heighway stuff. If it's any good, it will probably survive. I'm pointing out that the ridiculous proliferation of pinball manufacturers is destined to crumble under it's weight, and soon. We have more pinball companies now than we did during the golden age of the game, the 1950s. 6 years ago there was one company and it was weeks away from bankruptcy.
As far as innovation, pinsiders are completely too obsessed with it. Pinball thrives because it's pinball, not because of any innovations. Everybody is finally getting the LCD screens they've been begging for for years on all of the new games, is it really gonna make a difference? Is that really an innovation when I've had an LCD screen on my phone for 10 years?
Make good games with good code. That's the magic formula here. I think Houdini is gonna really show you what all that "innovation" gets you, but that's another thread entirely.

Its a good discussion at a minimum. Ill leave this thread for more Alien/ Heighway thoughts.

Id be willing to invite get you a beer at Expo and continue on this discussion path tho

--Jeff

#281 2 years ago

So if I buy an Alien machine, how much would the kit for another game cost?

#282 2 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

According to repeated speculative posts: 60% of the cost of a new game.

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from Goalie:

At this moment 60% of the price of a full Standard edition game.

#284 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As far as innovation, pinsiders are completely too obsessed with it. Pinball thrives because it's pinball, not because of any innovations. Everybody is finally getting the LCD screens they've been begging for for years on all of the new games, is it really gonna make a difference?

I've already explained things we're doing with the LCD screen that would be difficult with a DMD that directly affect the rules. JJP's already doing it, Hobbit wouldn't work with a DMD either. More companies will discover uses for the screens to innovate the rules. Presenting information to the player in real time without having to trap up changes things. I doubt we've really scratched the surface of what some clever thinking and programming can produce.

That's ignoring how terribly Alien would have translated to dots. Without a high rez screen we'd have made a totally different experience.

Why buy new games if they're not innovating and changing? We already have great old games. We don't need a new Stern Stars, we have that already, we need games like Alien, and The Hobbit and whatever madness Lawlor is cooking up. Especially at these prices. We haven't seen what Stern will do with the LCD yet. Maybe nothing exciting, but who knows. It will take time and experimenting, the early DMD games weren't all that exciting to look at either.

Criticism and speculation is the lifeblood of this forum. But you're going to be able to play the game in a couple days, and that will erase the need for much of the guessing. And if people like Levi don't like it they can not buy it.

#285 2 years ago

Full Throttle owner here and most likely either a full Alien purchaser or possibly the drop-in kit. Question for Highway...If you buy the Alien cabinet and have the beacons, will the beacons ever be coded for use in either Full Throttle or in future games? If they were to be used, that might sway some folks to buying the Alien cabinet and, honestly, Full Throttle is fun enough to warrant its own cabinet either way.

#286 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

you buy the Alien cabinet and have the beacons, will the beacons ever be coded for use in either Full Throttle or in future games?

I think it would be more the case that because you can add beacons to the standard Alien future games will have different toppers than can be added, I don't think the beacons have much place in FTH but I'm looking forward to seeing what else could take there place down the line.

#287 2 years ago

The game looks great. Especially in a SiFi row besides Johnny Mnemonic.

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the old school purists and their bullshit, I now have the ability to own multiple games with one cab and a very easy system to change them at will, how could anyone dislike this, cab art? I think Stern and all manufactures should adopt this method, cheaper games, cheaper shipping and so much easier to swap with other people or the ability to pick up new games without needing to take someone or borrow a truck etc.

couldnt agree more , this cab is fully functional and solid .

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Full Throttle owner here and most likely either a full Alien purchaser or possibly the drop-in kit. Question for Highway...If you buy the Alien cabinet and have the beacons, will the beacons ever be coded for use in either Full Throttle or in future games? If they were to be used, that might sway some folks to buying the Alien cabinet and, honestly, Full Throttle is fun enough to warrant its own cabinet either way.

It would be very easy to add some code to Full Throttle to enable the beacons at certain times.

I'll discuss it with the programming team during Expo

#290 2 years ago

sorry to say i wont make it Andrew, but im very excited for the release none the less! alien will look great in my room!

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Putting Stern and cheaper games in the same sentence with a serious tone is some funny ass shit to me.

I hope Heighway is ultra successful with Alien. Stern needs to feel some pressure with their crap lately.

#292 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

let's wait a week until the game is actually revealed, then continue .......

Whoa whoa whoa. Easy with that "making sense" shit....don't you know where you are? Armchair pinball critic HQs.

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

golden age of the game, the 1950s

I thought the golden age was the late 70s after New York legalized pinball and there were at least 10 manufacturers making an average of 7 new pins a month.

#294 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I thought the golden age was the late 70s after New York legalized pinball and there were at least 10 manufacturers making an average of 7 new pins a month.

In the 70's? It was Williams, Bally, Gottlieb, Stern, and Atari. Capcom was 90's. Who am I missing?

And 7 titles a month? Really?

edit/add: Forgot about Game Plan but they only made about a dozen games in total.

#295 2 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Whoa whoa whoa. Easy with that "making sense" shit....don't you know where you are? Armchair pinball critic HQs.

You're right...lost my mind for a bit...

#296 2 years ago

Can't stop laughing every time I look at this picture and wish I could give you more thumbs up.

#297 2 years ago

What a kick in Stern's nuts

Stern wants to sell $8K games

HP is willing to sell playfield swaps for how much?

HP has removed the money/space issue that plagues many pinball collectors (if successful long term).

#298 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

In the 70's? It was Williams, Bally, Gottlieb, Stern, and Atari. Capcom was 90's. Who am I missing?
And 7 titles a month? Really?
edit/add: Forgot about Game Plan but they only made about a dozen games in total.

I just picked a year at random and looked at '77. Manufacturers who made a game that year: Allied Leisure, Gottlieb, Bally, Zaccaria, Chicago Coin/Stern, Williams, Sonic, Sega, Recel, Playmatic, Atari, Segasa, Interflip, Nordamatic, and a few other home pin makers and smaller manufacturers.

Here are the number of games that came out each month starting in Jan.: 2,9,4,10,6,10,6,6,8,5,8,6 plus there are 39 games listed that don't specify a month for a total of 119 games in the year which averages 9.9 games a month. If you don't count the 39 games, the average is 6.67 games a month.

Sorry I love numbers. Most people think the golden age was the 90s but the 70s was the time to be making pins and putting them on route. I'd love to hear the numbers of what operators were making in those days compared to other time periods.

This bubble burst sometime in '82 or '83. '82 was the last year for a game to sell 10k units for this time period. Atari and Stern went out of business and probably some others I don't know about. Bally and Gottlieb changed their names to Bally Midway and Mylstar signifying a merger or buyout maybe. '83 averaged about 3 new games a month.

#299 2 years ago

ok so im going to claim that the golden age was the 30s

I picked 1936

~ 30 Manufacturers made games that year
13 of which made 7 games or more.
9 made more than 15 games
no Alien games were produced that year

I do like my prewars

Ill bet yall are glad there was innovation now! heheh

--Jeff

#300 2 years ago

I think part of thats has to do with the depth of the games. Games from the 90's tended to have more rule/depth/software and required more time and effort to create

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside