• 339 posts
  • 136 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PinballRulez
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 28 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

blew his stack (resized).jpg
Heighway (resized).jpg
blowing stack (resized).jpg
blew his stack (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
captain obvious (resized).jpg
highwaycab1.1 (resized).jpg
good-day-sir (resized).png
Alien on neck (resized).jpg
steve-martin-dirty-rotten-scoundrels (resized).jpg
b1f9885f4a9cb2bd47892dee106692638109c0b9 (resized).jpg
game_of_thrones_stern_pinball_7 (resized).jpg
LowerPlayingBoard (resized).jpg

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.
#201 2 years ago

Playfield looks interesting to shoot. Artwork is fitting and understand the license had limitations. it's good enough for pinball.
I'm in the crowd that complains about the cabinet, but looking forward to playing a game at expo.
cool to see this coming out and shipping soon!

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Actually Andrew did say recently he would seriously consider offering a traditional cabinet so all the people posting that are saying that's what they would rather have are just simply giving him the data he needs to make that option a possibility.
So the cabinet whiners could get and pay for what they say they want despite the actual lunacy of bypassing the swap out system.
Only later might they realize what kind of decision they made when 3 or 4 cool titles follow and the path they chose leaves them regretful in a financial sense.

Why would a standard cabinet design preclude a swappable system?

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Artwork swaps on sides

#204 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I appreciate the swap approach but cmon now - it's completely not practical (hold on - let me just move my gigantic super fragile PF with all the components on it to the side while I swap in another). In actuality it might actually cost you money considering it's likely to get damaged. We're not talking about swapping out a pair of socks here - we're talking super fragile, highly likely to get scratched and an absolutely gigantic piece of hardware. I love options so sure but don't try to sell this like it would be a huge mistake if we don't take advantage of it.

Watch the swap out video. It's pretty easy to do. And that's with one guy doing it. The playfield has huge rails and is built like a tank. Actually it's designed for this purpose if you haven't been paying attention.

I get it, you're used to some fragile piece of equipment but this is a commercial piece of hardware made to work this way. If you're so scared though you could get a helper when you swap. Problem solved?

#205 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

We're not talking about swapping out a pair of socks here - we're talking super fragile, highly likely to get scratched and an absolutely gigantic piece of hardware.

now you're just being silly. Buy, don't buy, but don't make silly arguments...socks...what's next a "cargument"?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-does-it-take-to-swap-a-heighway-pinball-game

AND, they are going to have a box specifically designed for storage...but you shouldn't get the game so don't listen to common sense.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Artwork swaps on sides

Ok, why would cabinet design preclude a swappable playfield?

#207 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Ask all the other manufacturers. If anyone could do it though, Heighway is your guy.

#208 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Ok, why would cabinet design preclude a swappable playfield?

it wouldn't, but you wouldn't have art on the sides

#209 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

it wouldn't, but you wouldn't have art on the sides

I don't hear a lot of Pin2K owners griping that they can't easily change out the artwork.

#210 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I appreciate the swap approach but cmon now - it's completely not practical (hold on - let me just move my gigantic super fragile PF with all the components on it to the side while I swap in another). In actuality it might actually cost you money considering it's likely to get damaged. We're not talking about swapping out a pair of socks here - we're talking super fragile, highly likely to get scratched and an absolutely gigantic piece of hardware. I love options so sure but don't try to sell this like it would be a huge mistake if we don't take advantage of it.

What? If you are challenged to the point that there is a major concern of scratching or not being able to handle the removed playfield then please don't buy this design and maybe you should cork all ur forks as well, to be safe.

steve-martin-dirty-rotten-scoundrels (resized).jpg

#211 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

Watch the swap out video. It's pretty easy to do. And that's with one guy doing it. The playfield has huge rails and is built like a tank. Actually it's designed for this purpose if you haven't been paying attention.
I get it, you're used to some fragile piece of equipment but this is a commercial piece of hardware made to work this way. If you're so scared though you could get a helper when you swap. Problem solved?

I saw the video - sorry I'm not drinking the kool aid guys but it's not the hardware that enables the ability to take out the PF I'm worried about. It's the PF itself I would be worrying about damaging. Again - I'm not saying it's a dumb idea or people who buy it are dumb - so relax. I just think it's impractical and can lead to damage. I applaud them for attempting to innovate though -

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I don't hear a lot of Pin2K owners griping that they can't easily change out the artwork.

ooooooloooo....k. great

#213 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I saw the video - sorry I'm not drinking the kool aid guys... I applaud them for attempting to innovate though -

Wow.

#214 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I saw the video - sorry I'm not drinking the kool aid guys but it's not the hardware that enables the ability to take out the PF I'm worried about. It's the PF itself I would be worrying about damaging. Again - I'm not saying it's a dumb idea or people who buy it are dumb - so relax. I just think it's impractical and can lead to damage. I applaud them for attempting to innovate though -

The playfield kits comes in it's own closeable box. You take out the new one and install it. The old one goes back in the box. Closed to protect it and keep the dust and dirt out.

It is designed to be storeable under pinball machines.

#215 2 years ago

I think it was Zampinator that had the idea of storing your playfields on the wall with a connector that makes the lights turn on. That would be pretty...pretty cool. Maybe get some generic art for the backbox and sides or don't even worry about swapping it out unless for shows or location.

I hope Heighway can get moving on releasing multiple games. I want a wall full of playfields.

#216 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

No koolaid, just some innovative engineering which will benefit people w limited space, but want multiple titles. My AlienLE will stay as one, but Andrew has several other titles in the works, and I'm all about saving space AND money....I'm very relaxed, actually......

#217 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

No koolaid, just some innovative engineering which will benefit people w limited space, but want multiple titles. My AlienLE will stay as one, but Andrew has several other titles in the works, and I'm all about saving space AND money....I'm very relaxed, actually......

I hear you - I do like the idea and will keep an open mind until this thing gets out in the wild...

#218 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

ooooooloooo....k. great

I'm not sure I understand your sarcasm. Pin2K accomplishes the same thing ( though more tedious if you don't have Nucore) without bastardizing the cabinet. (I know, I know, the P2K cabinet is a bit of a monstrosity to begin with, but the principle remains)

#219 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

What? If you are challenged to the point that there is a major concern of scratching or not being able to handle the removed playfield then please don't buy this design and maybe you should cork all ur forks as well, to be safe.

You found the perfect pic for your post Hazoff. I keep looking at it and you have me ROTFL.

#220 2 years ago

There was a rumor of attachable straps so you could wear your playfield as a fashion accessory while about town. Is this happening?

#221 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

There was a rumor of attachable straps so you could wear your playfield as a fashion accessory while about town. Is this happening?

Alien on neck (resized).jpg

#222 2 years ago

So it is true.

#223 2 years ago

Worried about removing the playfield with lots of fragile parts? Obviously you dont work on EM machines. Playfields get taken out all the time for a restore or a fix. No damage to steppers switches inserts and these are old. Like 1940s old. Ill take the bet on the pf swap with its own box.

-Jeff

#224 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm not sure I understand your sarcasm

my sarcasm comes from the apparent fact that you really seem to want to dispute the Heighway swap system or the cabinet or something... I don't know what Pin2k has to do with the price of potatoes here. They had a couple games that took forever to change the software. This is 5 minutes and then plug in a usb stick. Pin2k owners don't care about artwork. Great. OK. Whatever.

Is your "argument" that Pin2k is better? I have no idea what you are on about. Buy game. Don't buy game. I've got a Full Throttle and love it and will be grabbing a brand new widebody Alien game at 60% of full price. If you want to revive Pin2k, have at it...if you want to complain about another company innovating and competing, have at it. Good day sir. I said good day!

good-day-sir (resized).png

#225 2 years ago

The layout looks great, and I'm sure the sound package from Mr. Thiel will truly rock like everything else he does.
My only complaint is the window in the middle for the active LCD screen. Why couldn't the artwork by more integrated with it? It's just a rectangle. I'm sure the artist had to deal with license constraints, but nothing could have been done about this ?

#226 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

my sarcasm comes from the apparent fact that you really seem to want to dispute the Heighway swap system or the cabinet or something... I don't know what Pin2k has to do with the price of potatoes here. They had a couple games that took forever to change the software. This is 5 minutes and then plug in a usb stick. Pin2k owners don't care about artwork. Great. OK. Whatever.
Is your "argument" that Pin2k is better? I have no idea what you are on about. Buy game. Don't buy game. I've got a Full Throttle and love it and will be grabbing a brand new widebody Alien game at 60% of full price. If you want to revive Pin2k, have at it...if you want to complain about another company innovating and competing, have at it. Good day sir. I said good day!

Ok. I was just saying that some of us would rather have a standard-style cabinet covered in kick-ass alien artwork over a swappable and clunky, barren looking one. Indeed, there is no guarantee that Heighway will produce future titles that would be worth the nearly 4K it would cost to have something to swap.

I'm glad you love your FT, btw.

#227 2 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

The layout looks great, and I'm sure the sound package from Mr. Thiel will truly rock like everything else he does.
My only complaint is the window in the middle for the active LCD screen. Why couldn't the artwork by more integrated with it? It's just a rectangle. I'm sure the artist had to deal with license constraints, but nothing could have been done about this ?

I had the same complaint but it was a small complaint. I wonder if the standard score screen would maybe have the bottom half of the planet in the background so it does look more integrated with the machine on. Similar to what Captain Nemo had.

#228 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

You have seen how it easy it is, right? I have no idea if it will take off, but it's obviously not hard to do. (Edit lol too slow)

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from MarcelG:

It will make more sense when you see it actually running the game's dashboard I think. (Edit, too slow on this one too, not exactly like Nemo but yes, a bit like that.)

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Indeed, there is no guarantee that Heighway will produce future titles that would be worth the nearly 4K it would cost to have something to swap.

riiiiight

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Everyone should keep in mind how much lighting and light shows give a playfield a different look when you're actually playing it. There were plenty of games like Tron, AC/DC, and Iron Man that made me go "oooph!" when I saw the "flyer picture" ...but in person, I LOVE how the games look. I think Tron might give one a good idea how Alien will look when lit....but then you also have the possibilities of the color changing lights - I have a feeling the minimal look of the playfield might vanish when interesting light shows are sweeping over the action.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Tron's PF is nothing special in and of itself. Yet the game is a beauty to look at and play based on your immersion in the game due to the sounds, music, led lighting and ramp lights. Alien could be the exact same way. I hope it's a winner. All the best Andrew and Aurich. I will be at expo and hope to say hi and be blown away by the game. See you at Twin Peaks!

#232 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm not sure I understand your sarcasm. Pin2K accomplishes the same thing ( though more tedious if you don't have Nucore) without bastardizing the cabinet. (I know, I know, the P2K cabinet is a bit of a monstrosity to begin with, but the principle remains)

P2K was never meant to 'swap' back and forth at will. It was designed to easily upgrade to a new game. Once per new kit. Hence the cabinets were covered with supplied permanent decals to match the new game at time of upgrade0

#233 2 years ago

Again with the sarcasm. Why respond with something so lazy and uninspired. Say what you think.

#234 2 years ago

I like it. Everything on this looks great. Can't wait to play one.

#235 2 years ago

The game looks awesome. Can't wait to check it out!

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Seriously, you need to watch this video. It is made with swapping playfields in mind.

#237 2 years ago

I think Heighway should consider doing a video of how easy it is to swap games

#238 2 years ago

Looks great and love to see new stuff that's not Stern. I noticed just now the website says production is September 2015, details I know but I can't wait to see one of these beauties.

#239 2 years ago

Fuck I wish I had money....

#240 2 years ago

For a home environment, a normal cabinet with detachable EL side art would be far better than the current cabinet with a cutout and backlit slot. Of course that wouldn't be practical for location as kids / drunks would probably wreck it ... though I guess you might be able to make the attachment mechanism secure enough.

Something for the future, perhaps.

#241 2 years ago

No disrespect to those who are excited about this release but I just can't get past the fact that it looks very cheap. I know it is a swap out cabinet etc but I wouldn't expect to pay anymore than 4k Australian for one of these Heighway machines. Btw I have played Full Throttle and was not impressed at all. I love the Aliens theme so I'd love to eat my words...maybe the game play will make up for it!

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Ok. I was just saying that some of us would rather have a standard-style cabinet covered in kick-ass alien artwork over a swappable and clunky, barren looking one. Indeed, there is no guarantee that Heighway will produce future titles that would be worth the nearly 4K it would cost to have something to swap.
I'm glad you love your FT, btw.

Well there's no guarantee that you will like the JJP/Stern games at 10/15k either. If Heighway are making 4+ games a year there may be more games to choose from than other manufacturers

#243 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Hilarious!

#245 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You have seen how it easy it is, right? I have no idea if it will take off, but it's obviously not hard to do. (Edit lol too slow)
ยป YouTube video

Yes I did. It is incredibly clear that the process of doing this shouldn't take too much time. My concern is not timing but damage.

Ultimately it's clear this swap option is resulting in the cabinet looking worse than standard. Not sure if that option is worth the current compromise. Can't decide before actually seeing and playing it. Again I applaud the fact we're even talking about this as an option.

#246 2 years ago

Anyone not liking the sides need not worry. I'm sure there will be options for graphics. If not from Heighway then from 3rd party guys in the mod scene:

highwaycab1.1 (resized).jpg

#247 2 years ago

i am buying a full throttle playfield. so i think they will also sell more full throttle because of alien. i can hardly wait!!

#248 2 years ago

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the old school purists and their bullshit, I now have the ability to own multiple games with one cab and a very easy system to change them at will, how could anyone dislike this, cab art? I think Stern and all manufactures should adopt this method, cheaper games, cheaper shipping and so much easier to swap with other people or the ability to pick up new games without needing to take someone or borrow a truck etc.

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Sometimes I get so frustrated with the old school purists and their bullshit, I now have the ability to own multiple games with one cab and a very easy system to change them at will, how could anyone dislike this, cab art? I think Stern and all manufactures should adopt this method, cheaper games, cheaper shipping and so much easier to swap with other people or the ability to pick up new games without needing to take someone or borrow a truck etc.

completely agree!

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Here here!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sale Pending!
Denver, CO
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
16,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middleborough, MA
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
14,000 (Firm)
There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside