pasted_image (resized).png
good-day-sir (resized).png
Alien on neck (resized).jpg
steve-martin-dirty-rotten-scoundrels (resized).jpg
b1f9885f4a9cb2bd47892dee106692638109c0b9 (resized).jpg
game_of_thrones_stern_pinball_7 (resized).jpg
LowerPlayingBoard (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
#101 7 years ago

I'm oh so very impressed. Great job, Heighway.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's weird that it's not on the flyer though, in text or pictures.

Here is the cut and paste.

Hilton - we are having a brand new coin door design manufactured especially for us. The current 2-slot door can clash with our ball trough. The new design brings the 2 x coin mechs aligned to the left of the door. The note validator plate swaps to align on the bottom right of the door.

#103 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I modified Star Trek Premium to remove all actors from the game's art. And I thought it was better for it.

You did yes, cheesy reboot characters that needed to go...Comparing them to the iconic stars who should have been on this pin is laughable.

I wish I could beam you to an alternate universe where you weren't involved with this pin and get one of those old school unbiased Aurich reviews that used to set the room on fire...And yes, I would beam you back.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Play field colors and art remind me of Sega games.. X files, star ship troopers... I'm sure it will be fun to play though

I have seen this comment a few times now and I don't agree with that. If you look at the right side of the apron you will see it has a white shine over it just from the lights they used for the photoshoot. The apron on my Full Throttle looks solid black.

The contrast of the picture is just off I guess due to the external light involved. In real life the colors will be much deeper with more contrast. Guess we will know in a few days

#105 7 years ago

This game looks like a lot of fun. I absolutely love the theme. It's unfortunate that there is so much negativity. Everyone is a critic and they would build it like this or that. Start a pinball company and build great games if it is so easy. I had a chance to play Full Throttle at Pintastic and thought it was great fun. Not in love with the theme personally but that didn't take away from the enjoyment of a really great game. I hope Highway succeeds and keeps pumping out games/kits. Don't let the negative comments take away from all you have and will accomplish.

#106 7 years ago

The cabinet is the heighway cabinet that is used on all their games...clearly any whining over it looking different is coming from people that haven't been following the company. For Christsake it looks exactly like every other pinball cabinet except it has lighted side panels which look killer. The head is thinner...waaaaaaa..they should put a bunch of extra heavy wood up there that serves no structural purpose?

In a line of pins the only change is the thickness of the backbox. What are you nuts on about here?

#107 7 years ago

the playfield looks great. I cant wait to play it. I really enjoyed playing full throttle at pagg. great work team heighway.

#108 7 years ago

Fortunately, I play pinball on the playfield.....the heck with the cabinet....a black box would be great too!

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know, the cabinets look like mid 80s Ballys, and the head looks like vacation America.

You're only making me love this game more.

#110 7 years ago

It's different! It's a change from the old standard. People don't like change! It looks great in person! The back box reminds me of an iPad, sleek & modern. The lighted side panels are spectacular & draws people in from across the room.
The bezel around the play field glass is the biggest difference from a conventional pin. It takes about 5 seconds of gameplay to remove any concerns about it blocking your view.
Full Throttle is a fast & fun pin that will only grow in popularity as more people play it, & Alien looks to be an unbelievable layout!

Keep up the great work Andrew & team!

#111 7 years ago

Congrats to the Heighway team I am sure you guys worked your tails off to get to this point. Looking forward to seeing it in action! Looks like an action packed game. I really like the left drain area. Given I am a much worse player then most of the folks here anything that can give me a chance ego save is always appreciated.

#112 7 years ago

I gotta say I absolutely hate the cabinet but the game playfield itself with the LCD screen and backglass looks to me like you are getting more bang for your buck from Heighway than you get with an LE Edition of a Stern machine.

Can't wait to see it played! 4+ days and counting!

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

he also directed the voice of Mother, who handles all the non-movie callouts.

That sounds like an ingenious and elegant solution to not wanting to pay actors for custom voice work. Looking forward to playing and getting the whole lights, sound, and gameplay experience.

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Of which no one is going to do. I know it's a selling point but it's just not going to gain any traction at all. Maybe 1 in 15 games sold will be a kit? MAYBE.

Once a few thousand games/cabinets are sold the numbers are more likely to be the other way round.

Heighway need a big seller to really get the kit concept up and running. I was always hopeful for them with this excellent licence. It looks like they have delivered. Well done.

#116 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

There's an entire mode practically built around Paxton. When you play Combat Drop you can build up points by making shots that piece together his monologue from the drop.
» YouTube video

Love this!

#117 7 years ago

Glad to finally see the whole game.

agree on cabs but the layout looks fun and will be excited to play one

#118 7 years ago

The cabinet is soooooo different from other cabs(stolen pic from Frolic)....wait, no it isn't...at all...hmmmm

AFT (resized).jpgAFT (resized).jpg

#119 7 years ago

im goin into rant mode:

pinball is a small hobby. so small that by all standards it almost disappeared completely for an entire decade. For more than a decade, the industry was so small literally only one manufacturer was able to produce games. Arcades were nowhere and you would be lucky to bump into a machine on location. For some reason a new generation of people found pinball (yes, a new generation, not the old vets) and it blew up. so here we are now, sixteen years after pinballs big collapse, pinball is finally marketable enough to permit new manufacturers, making new games, with new ideas. For the first time in a long time there is an option of machines to choose from. So take heighway pinball; doin what they love, working tirelessly to come up with something new, and provide a service for a crippled industry and a community that has been let down over and over, their second game is coming out! thats right not only did they make more than one ( that elusive number that seems to stop many prototypers and even manufacturers) they are now on to number two: its a dream theme for most, based off an all time cinematic favorite, not only is the thing done, youll be able to play it next week. its a new pinball machine!!! so whats the problem?? There's no art on the apron!! the cabinet decal isnt big enough!! holy mother of god, you people will complain about anything. Besides the fact that those are the two most easily changeable things about a pinball machines overall production, they are coincidentally the least consequential to overall gameplay. whats the art on the apron of my bally wizard? yellow? gimme a break. "lemme slap together a CAD drawing of how I would have made the cabinet design, because thats why people come on to pinside, to see and hear how i would make pinball machines" Is it any wonder almost no one from the industry posts here?? its because pinball is their passion, they live and work for it, they spend all day knowing what it means to be in the business of making pinball machines and they're tired of having their experience be drowned in an echo chamber of people criticizing them and blabbing about how they would have done it. Anyone who has gotten as far as routing holes for inserts, or programming a start button, or even completed a drawing for a backglass knows that this is an immense undertaking, let alone everything that goes into manufacturing the darn things (which i wont talk about because i dont know about, imagine that). and worse, these are the posts that always have that bright green pop bumper of positivity in the top right corner, not because pinside respects valuable information, but because pinside worships snarky posts meant to take potshots at those in the industry and community. its a new pinball game. on top of that it looks decent. have some fun, and show a little heart for those who are pouring themselves into their passion so that you can play a game.

to heighway: Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. i personally am looking forward to whatever it is you guys come up with in the future.

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

While I appreciate Heighway's involvement in pinball I just can't get passed the damn cabinet. I hate that you don't utilizes the entire cabinet it just seems unfinished. Increasing that decal/display/marquee area would really help.

Who cares? I see what ur saying but the cabinet is still more appealing than anything out there, its illuminated and the fact that those of us with limited space can now buy multiple games and easily switch them around is another great design element, does the fact that the side art which is so rarely seen in most cases should be larger matter at all? No.

#121 7 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Who cares? I see what ur saying but the cabinet is still more appealing than anything out there, its illuminated and the fact that those of us with limited space can now buy multiple games and easily switch them around is another great design element, does the fact that the side art which is so rarely seen in most cases should be larger matter at all? No.

youre missing the point, the point hes trying to make is that if he were single handedly in charge of the entire pinball industry there would be no problems at all.

#122 7 years ago

I spend most of my time looking at the cabinet while playing. It's the heart of the experience.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from SHOOTTHEPYRAMID:

im goin into rant mode:

Spot on Sir. I enjoyed reading that rant very much.

#124 7 years ago

I'm watching Aliens on AMC right now

#125 7 years ago

ha me too!

#126 7 years ago

This. Fans fell in love with the characters, not just the monster. The cabinet is a great piece of real estate to show off some amazing artwork. Like Ripley blasting aliens with a flame thrower. A giant logo just looks cheap. The logo should be part of the design, not the design. And for you (you don't play the cabinet) guys.. The cabinet is a big part of what draws players in, it completes the experience.

Anyway......I think Aliens is awesome and I'm looking forward to getting mine. I do like most of the Playfield artwork and I really like the plastics and toys. I'm confident the music, call outs, gameplay/shots and rules will make all of my complaining quickly fade away.

Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

You did yes, cheesy reboot characters that needed to go...Comparing them to the iconic stars who should have been on this pin is laughable.

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know, the cabinets look like mid 80s Ballys, and the head looks like vacation America.

Is it that its bad or just not what you're used to? Its definitely different looking than what I've been used to for the last 30 years, but I think it looks fine and the functional aspects of the cabinet design are more than worth not having art on every inch of the cabinet.

Quoted from Hazoff:

Exactly

#128 7 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The cabinet is a big part of what draws players in, it completes the experience.

For all those people/locations that have 1 pin with nothing else next to it--cab side art hardly ever gets seen and replacing it with lighted artwork that is swappable for more games per pin is a no brainer.

This is a taste argument, subtle and classy vs in your face stern-esque photoshop horseshit, no offense The game is intended to put you in the Alien universe as an actor, not you watching the Alien movie as a viewer--just a different vision. Plus has been stated, callouts, video clips, modes etc will feature movie specific sounds and LCD visuals.

#129 7 years ago

The playfield looks pretty bad ass all put together, if it's fun to play I dont care if the cabinet was only painted black. Yea it could be cool with a bunch of character artwork but do you want to wait another year to get fox's approval on that.

#130 7 years ago

if you dont like the cabinet put it between two games....problem solved! I can't wait to get the kit but im a little afraid of what the hardware upgrade will cost. $$

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

For all those people/locations that have 1 pin with nothing else next to it--cab side art hardly ever gets seen and replacing it with lighted artwork that is swappable for more games per pin is a no brainer.
This is a taste argument, subtle and classy vs in your face stern-esque photoshop horseshit, no offense The game is intended to put you in the Alien universe as an actor, not you watching the Alien movie as a viewer--just a different vision. Plus has been stated, callouts, video clips, modes etc will feature movie specific sounds and LCD visuals.

I agree with the idea that the player is being an actor/participant instead of just a viewer. I think Andrew is making it more immersive, sort of like a first person shooter (FPS) does when it is well executed. I guess we will find out this weekend.

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

if you dont like the cabinet put it between two games....problem solved! I can't wait to get the kit but im a little afraid of what the hardware upgrade will cost. $$

If you mean the CPU upgrade for Full Throttle nothing to worry about

#133 7 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I agree with the idea that the player is being an actor/participant instead of just a viewer. I think Andrew is making it more immersive, sort of like a first person shooter (FPS) does when it is well executed. I guess we will find out this weekend.

You hit the nail on the head there Jim

#134 7 years ago

Anyone know if the Alien kit will come with the CPU and coin door?

Or, if you buy and Alien, does will the throttle kit require you to change the CPU and coindoor to do a playfield swap?

Quoted from Travish:

Another thread says a dba is an option. Says they redesigned the door to put the coin slots on left and dba on right because of playfield mechanics.

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

The cabinet is a big part of what draws players in, it completes the experience.

It does? I think a 27" display with Aliens as the theme is enough of an attention grabber, I've never been prompted to play a pin because of the cab.

#136 7 years ago

Looks amazing, bravo.

#137 7 years ago

cant send my money fast enough. I hope you do ship games in 2016!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

The playfield looks pretty bad ass all put together, if it's fun to play I dont care if the cabinet was only painted black. Yea it could be cool with a bunch of character artwork but do you want to wait another year to get fox's approval on that.

I also seem to remember hearing that Fox specifically wanted the alien/egg backglass and theme to fit into their broader alien branding. Could be wrong on that though

#139 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yup. This is the kind of thing we couldn't confirm before license approval, but it's safe to say now.
I believe it's currently the tilt callout, but I think it may go into the rotation for end of game sounds too/instead. Not sure, but it's in the game for sure.
There's an entire mode practically built around Paxton. When you play Combat Drop you can build up points by making shots that piece together his monologue from the drop.
» YouTube video

I already here that when I play at SS Billards!

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I don't know, the cabinets look like mid 80s Ballys, and the head looks like vacation America. Neither of those things are good for collectors where seems like most buyers these days care more about how a game looks than how it plays.

Remember that those fat heads were holdovers from when pinball became solid state.

The pin companies were worried that players would think they were being ripped off if the games did not have clunky score reel sounds, and the heads were shrank down to a space efficient size. The first SolidState Williams even had "noisemakers" in the cabs to make them sound like EMs.

So we've had 40 years of giant, empty heads that were not necessary.

Obviously, using less wood on the new thin backboxes is a greener choice.

Lighter cabs mean less fuel to ship - Greener.

Smaller boxes mean more boxes per container - Greener.

And for the end user, it probably means that the pin can fit in a smaller vehicle for transport - possibly Greener.

-

Time to let go of those 1950's heads folks, the future is here.

#141 7 years ago

Game looks awesome! Wishing Heighway all the best, have a great Expo reveal and safe travels. Can't wait to see some gameplay video.

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I appreciate that HP is trying something different with cabinet design. It just seems silly to have a large backbox that is largely empty.

Well said.

a205bf3bae650ad0aeef833cba2d683c1806c24d (resized).jpga205bf3bae650ad0aeef833cba2d683c1806c24d (resized).jpg

#143 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Obviously, using less wood on the new thin backboxes is a greener choice.
Lighter cabs mean less fuel to ship - Greener.
Smaller boxes mean more boxes per container - Greener.
And for the end user, it probably means that the pin can fit in a smaller vehicle for transport - possibly Greener.
-

And there's nothing in the head...just the LCD or translight. No hardware. So you don't need the structure of 12 pounds of plywood or whatever. It comes off like an old EM as well. People get focused on the weirdest things.

#144 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Gerry tried no head on his game, and soon had to add what people are used to.

LTG : )

#145 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gerry tried no head on his game, and soon had to add what people are used to.
LTG : )

I can see the problem there.

Everyone likes even a little head.

#146 7 years ago

I'm really looking forward to seeing some gameplay video and eventually playing it. I'll probably end up getting Alien and a FT kit.

#147 7 years ago

Playfield graphics are very uninspiring.

Reminds me of Pinbot, but this time you're not trying to light the planets. It's just a non-creative waste of *space* (pun intended).

Aurich, did the FOX license prohibit no more than two aliens on the playfield, no blood, no spaceships, etc....?!!

You're a good artist, but, your lack of creativity on the playfield just puzzles me.

Hopefully, the gameplay will make up for it.

#148 7 years ago

My money is on the audio blowin folks wigs off. Can't wait to hear one.

#149 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Aurich, did the FOX license prohibit no more than two aliens on the playfield, no blood, no spaceships, etc....?!!

I count at least 5 zenomorphs on the playfield.

You're not seeing the Nostromo? If you're not familiar with it the USCSS Nostromo (reg. 180924609) was a $42 billion (and adjusted) commercial towing vessel owned by the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, a Lockmart CM 88B Bison M-Class starfreighter used as a commercial hauler between Thedus and Earth. The Nostromo was 243.8 meters in length, 164.6 meters wide and 72.5 meters in height. It also carried (or rather pulled) a massive refinery behind it for processing ore on the long trip to Earth.

I also see the drop ship.

You didn't notice the refinery either eh? Kind of hard to miss a 20 million ton refinery over a mile and a half long.

I'm weary of thinking what the playfield art would have turned out like if Jeremy Packer or Donny Gillies took a stab at it in their native styles. Yikes!

Alien/s has a distinct look. Translating that into a dark/happy little playfield for pinball is no small effort. I think it turned out great. Now seeing it populated? Wow!

#150 7 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

no more than two aliens on the playfield, no blood, no spaceships

I think I see the problem...you are looking at the game with your head up your ass, no offense. All that stuff you mentioned is there.

AlienPlay (resized).jpgAlienPlay (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
9,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burnaby, BC
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
9,999 (OBO)
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 339 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-revealed-flyer-and-pics/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.