Topic poll

“Alien Poker vs Blackout”

• Alien Poker 13 votes
    48%
  • Blackout 14 votes
    52%

(27 votes)

#1 7 years ago

I'm pondering adding a Williams SS machine to my collection. While I'd love to get a Cosmic Gunfight, I know those are a bit hard to come by and fetch a bit more. I also thought about Firepower but I'm thinking about maybe a an Alien Poker or Blackout. Firepower can be a bit too quick and I'm looking for something with a bit longer play times.

I've never played a Blackout but it seems like it would be a fun one with multiple spinners, drops, and the Blackout saucer. I haven't seen them around as much so maybe they're a bit underrated?

#2 7 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with either but I do enjoy AP enough that I own it.
-Mike

#3 7 years ago

i just got done restoring my alien poker. Love it. Love the rules and gameplay. Playing a restored clearcoated one is amazing.

#4 7 years ago

Both of those games are about the same amount of fun. I would say that the looks of Blackout even out the better game play of AP. I would pick the game you can get in better shape.

what about classic stern? Meteor?

#5 7 years ago

I think the biggest question is whether you want a control game or not. Blackout is a game about bashing every target in sight and AP is the opposite

#6 7 years ago

I've played Meteor and prefer more bumpers. I've come to realize I "need" at least two pops in my games. It just doesn't feel right without a couple pops.

I do want to spend a bit more time on a Stern Stingray though out at ReplayFX this year. The gameplay didn't seem terribly interesting but I did like the theme. Adding a Stern SS is something to come later, there are a couple titles I've thought about from them.

#7 7 years ago

Big fan of each and have owned each. Little more going on in Alien Poker but getting "Blackout" is awesome. I'd pickup whatever you get a better deal on!... Dan

#8 7 years ago

I like Alien Poker. I've played it a lot more recently and now in competition really adds to the way you play. Making the decision about how high you want to get the multiplier before finishing up the cards and collecting.

If you are on the fence here is one more deciding factor. How bright is your game room? I would think you'd kind of lose the effect of the dimming GI in the blackout mode if your game room is well lit.

#9 7 years ago

Haven't played Alien Poker before, but Blackout is my favorite game at the local arcade of about 30 pins. In my opinion, blackout is basic enough that it's good simple fun where it's just you, physics, the ball, and the scoreboard, while also giving a good tangible goal as well in the "blackout" bonus. Heck, one I play doesn't even have working lane switch, and I still have to check my phone every once and a while when I'm playing to make sure I still have time to play a few others I like before it's time to leave lol.

#10 7 years ago

I own Blackout and have played Alien Poker a bunch. No wrong decision here really. I give the edge to Blackout in the graphics and sound department. My guests seem to really love it to, its one of my most played games by non-pinheads. I would like to own both

#11 7 years ago

Both are great games, you really can't go wrong with either one. Get whichever pops up for sale first.

#12 7 years ago

I have played both and are good but alien poker wins it for me easily
A great risk reward game and need good shots to take the full jackpot but can be very punishing to take those shots

#13 7 years ago

Alien poker

#14 7 years ago

I own Blackout along with some other "newer" games and Blackout is always a family/friend favorite. It's easy enough to explain what to do/aim for, they like the goal/challenge of lighting up and then getting the Blackout, and as silly as this may sound compared to the effects of today, everyone likes when the machine goes into Blackout mode. I also like the artwork on the game. My only negative is while I like most of the sounds, and the early 80s speech is fun, there is one sound that is really annoying and I can't wait to hit another target or something to make it go away.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-vs-blackout?hl=jeremy8419 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.