By heypat

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2629.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heypat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Picked up a dead alien poker recently, I finally got it working ( a big thanks to Barkandl for the 5101 Ram) but it has an issue with the drop target switches not reading, everything in row 2 of the switch matrix is dead. the drop targets were in about 20 pieces when i bought the machine so i replaced the whole bank with one from a jungle lord thanks to a heads up from Winteriscoming. He is using this in his alien poker with no problems. I double checked all of the wires for every switch on row 2 of the matrix from the switch to the connector on the board and all are good. I also checked all of the diodes and they are all good, I did find one that was bad and replaced it.

next i pulled 2j2 and checked for pulsing with a logic probe and all pins were pulsing. (which I'm told is good)

then i pulled 2j2 and 2j3 and checked the pins on 2j3 and there was no pulsing (which i am told is good)

then with 2j2 and 2j3 connected i put my logic probe on pin 8 (for row 2 of the matrix) and started making the switches in row 2. I am told i should see a pulse every time a switch is made. I did not see any pulses when i made any of the switches in row 2 of the switch matrix.

so i know the whole row has a problem, i just do not know where to look next. I cannot find anything that points me to a specific component to test.

Any suggestions.

Thanks!

#3 9 years ago

I put the board in test mode as suggested and checked at the board and was shocked to see all is working well on the board end. Everything in Row 2 of the switch matrix including the 5 drop target switches were read at the board. You indicated this means the problem is on the play field. The question is what am i looking for on the play field? i already verified the wiring from every switch back to the board and there is conductivity (no broken wires) i checked all of the diodes at the switches and they were fine. After I tested at the board I also replaced the diodes just in case.

Checking the switches on the board did take quite a bit of time as the right digits on the credit board work intermittently. I already tried the simple stuff, swapped ribbon cables, cleaned all pins (yes they were green) and re soldered the pins on the display board. I will add this to list of things to repair.

I also found that all of the lights in column 5 of the lamp matrix are not working. Another thing to add to the list. Looks like it could be Q71. I will check it next time I pull the driver board.

I figured I would mention those issues in the event they could possibly be related.

I added a photo of the bottom of the drop target that shows the wiring.

IMG_2629.jpgIMG_2629.jpg

Thanks again for your help !

#4 9 years ago

well, I figured the drop bank issue out. Diodes were backwards. I bought this off ebay and just left the diodes as they were as the looked like the originals. I put new ones in today in the same orientation because I was stumped. I checked the old diodes to make sure they were not bad but never checked them with the switch. But when I used the meter to check the switches they were clearly backwards. And every photo i could find on line of a leaf switch on a drop target showed the diodes just like the photo above, which had me second guessing myself, even after i checked it with the meter.

well on to column 5 of the lamp matrix and then the display, with me luck !

Barakandl thanks again for the help, you certainly kept me on they right track

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider heypat.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-switch-matrix-problem?tu=heypat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.