4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by frunch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi All - picked up an Alien Poker yesterday. First time I'm working on a Sys 6! Wouldn't boot. Got that working this morning (Interconnect connector replaced). Turned on and game booted in to attract mode. All solenoids and switches etc are working.

I has background sound and game sounds but no speech. Changed a dip switch on the sound card and started getting some speech in game play. Not sure if all the correct speech but it was speaking (in French!) as I hit certain switches etc on the playfield. Pressed the pseech test button and it ran though all the speech ( in French). The volume control though under the playfield wasn't changing the volume much at all turning from min to max. Almost like the amp wasn't adjusting with the volume knob and it was very loud. Adjusting the pot on the speech board turned down the sound volume but turned up the speech volume. All a bit weird.

Next thing I turned on - and no sound at all! Can't get anything now.

So Issues:

1) Now No sound at all and pressing the sound test still nothing
    2) Main Volume control wasn't adjusting properly
    3) French speech - need English. One of the speech ROM's IC7 label says French. Do I just need to burn a ROM for this ROM or all 4 of the ROM's??? Is it a 2532 EPROM?

Help?

#2 4 years ago

Progress:

Cut w14 track and put in a 6802 but no difference (6810 is not on a socket so this was easier)

Cut out the PIA - Put on a socket and new 6821 - working! so back to original faults:

So now I still have issues 2 & 3 above

2) Volume is very loud. I can adjust the pot on the speech board but the main pot isnt doing much?

3) French!!! lol - Help My speech board has roms in IC4,5,6 & 7. The manual says IC4 is "not used". So not sure what the hell? Downloaded the code from IPDB but it doesnt have an IC4 file only 5,6,7. Confusing?

#3 4 years ago

Put a 4.7k resistor is series with the 5k volume pot - no difference in volume!? How can that be? No matter what I do I can't turn down the volume...

Replaced the amp IC and the main capacitors in the amp circuit. No difference. All the resistors measure spot on.

Totally baffled as to why I can't turn down the volume as everything seems to be working/measuring fine

#4 4 years ago

OK - sorted out the French - now speaking English Just burned IC5 IC6 IC7 code and left off IC4...

So just Volume control now and this baby is ready...

Any ideas?

#5 4 years ago

IC4 may be used in french only or the speech board came out of a game that used four speech ROMs, like black knight.

Check that W1 is out when the speech card is present. That is what routes the sound effects analogue sound over to the speech card to get mixed with speech, then it comes back over to the sound board. If W1 is in and speech card is present not sure what to expect but I imagine volume levels would be off.

The speech pot adjusts the level of the speech compared to the normal sound. Set the normal cabinet pot to a good level for sounds then adjust the speech pot to your liking. If you still cannot get a good range from the cabinet volume pot check its value. Seems to be missing from the manual but I think they are 5K. Measure across the outer leads of vol pot to get the total value and then verify the middle wiper pin changes resistance smoothly all the way to each end.

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Andrew - will check out W1

#7 4 years ago

Checked W1 but that was ok. So pulled up the volume cable from under the backbox. Someone had cut the cable and used a connecting block but only a 2 hole and hadnt connected the earthing twist wire. So put in a 3 connector and wired it and volume working as it should!

So that should have been it.

But just started a game and the "A" drop target didn't reset. FFS - never ends lol

#8 4 years ago

Pre driver had blown - so all working now

#9 4 years ago

Nice work!

AP is a really interesting game, imo. The way the value of the target bank increases/decreases as you hit the right/wrong drop targets, plus a number of well-designed shots and lots of pops. Enjoy!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-sound-issues-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.