Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by PINTEC
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

driver (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Alien Poker sounds are all over the place. It doesn't happen all the time (50%) when the game is first powered on but as soon as the ball hits the spinner on the first shot, I'll know if the sounds are going to be correct or not or all over the place. Speech is not affected at all however. That is always on point. Any ideas? I have reseated all the connectors in the backbox, esp. the soundboards cables.
Thanks!

#2 9 months ago

Interconnect.

#3 9 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Alien Poker sounds are all over the place. It doesn't happen all the time (50%) when the game is first powered on but as soon as the ball hits the spinner on the first shot, I'll know if the sounds are going to be correct or not or all over the place. Speech is not affected at all however. That is always on point. Any ideas? I have reseated all the connectors in the backbox, esp. the soundboards cables.
Thanks!

Some Incorrect sounds:
Place game in solenoid test check that sound tests (solenoid test 9-13) are functioning.

#4 9 months ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Interconnect.

So you think for starters pull the driver board off the interconnect pins and then re-install thru pins to see if it's a interconnect issue?
So if the speech is 100% on point, would that not be affected by the interconnect as well?

#5 9 months ago

Ive seen so many issues with the interconnect that i dont do any work on them until after that has been done. Otherwise you start chasing your tail with intermittent symptoms. It may or may not be the root cause but its always number one source of problems ive seen on those boards.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Some Incorrect sounds:
Place game in solenoid test check that sound tests (solenoid test 9-13) are functioning.

Took another video of the sound test in solenoid test. Does this seem correct?
Sorry about the noisy AC fan running in the garage in the background...

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Took another video of the sound test in solenoid test. Does this seem correct?
Sorry about the noisy AC fan running in the garage in the background...

Missing solenoid 10 sound:

Reset connector 2J9 test if sound 10 returns.

no?

Attach a ground wire to frame or negative wire.

With game on touch wire to transistor tab ten to check for the missing sound to return.

driver (resized).jpg
#8 9 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

no?
With game on touch wire to transistor tab ten to check for the missing sound to return.[quoted image]

Thanks for the detailed pic and test instructions. Will try later tonight and report findings.

#9 9 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

no?
With game on touch wire to transistor tab ten to check for the missing sound to return.[quoted image]

Hi PinTec,

Had some issues not related to sound problems on AP last night I had to fix first. The solenoid wire came off the "A" Drop Target so soldered that back on today, replaced some incandescent bulbs with LED's while playfield was up.

So before i try this test, the game should just be powered up and not in any test mode.
When I ground the tab of Q33 to GND (the one you circled in the pic) , I should hear a sound coming from the speaker?

I did try a little very light buffing of the pins on connector 2J9 and game started ok with proper sounds but quickly got out of "sync" again.

Update: Did the test and got sound from speaker. So yes on the test.

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Hi PinTec,
Had some issues not related to sound problems on AP last night I had to fix first. The solenoid wire came off the "A" Drop Target so soldered that back on today, replaced some incandescent bulbs with LED's while playfield was up.
So before i try this test, the game should just be powered up and not in any test mode.
When I ground the tab of Q33 to GND (the one you circled in the pic) , I should hear a sound coming from the speaker?
I did try a little very light buffing of the pins on connector 2J9 and game started ok with proper sounds but quickly got out of "sync" again.
Update: Did the test and got sound from speaker. So yes on the test.

Sound produced Manually:

Replace sound #10 transistor tip 122
Check that 10 sound returns in solenoid test.

#11 9 months ago
Quoted from PINTEC:

Sound produced Manually:
Replace sound #10 transistor tip 122
Check that 10 sound returns in solenoid test.

Cleaned, buffed, wiped connector pins on 2J9 and at the sound board connectors and all seems good for now.
Played over 10 games with no loss of sound or out of sync issues. If issues returns, will replace that TIP122 transistor.
Thanks!

#12 9 months ago
Quoted from CUJO:

Cleaned, buffed, wiped connector pins on 2J9 and at the sound board connectors and all seems good for now.
Played over 10 games with no loss of sound or out of sync issues. If issues returns, will replace that TIP122 transistor.
Thanks!

Sound back to working:

Suspect dirty intermittent connection transistor 10 ok.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 11.00
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 27.50
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 248.85
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside