(Topic ID: 228651)

Alien Poker - Locked on Solenoid during tests.

By drocelot

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by drocelot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
_20181228_004445.JPG
b524b4e6bb03b56a5240d2635458d613 (resized).png
AlienPoker (resized).jpg
Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_layout.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from drocelot:

I went down and got some replaced the predriver and the driver transistor. Unfortunately its still happening....

If you are shotgunning, randomly replacing things you are just gambling with guesses. The best way to repair the failure is to check signals, troubleshoot to locate the problem. Easiest to do this with an oscilloscope or logic probe, but I can do it with a DMM as well just looking at voltages. You have identical circuits driving each solenoid output that helps with comparing each section.

Don't forget that if you are talking about the special solenoids (pops and slings) these can be activated directly by a playfield switch. In Inkochnitos diagram above, you'd need to check the state of the switch solenoid 6 trigger and make sure IC7 pin 9 isn't seeing a stuck closed switch (active low)

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from oldmanpinball:

some times its the diode on the pop bumper switch. you can cut it it and se if that works

You cannot cut a diode off in a switch matrix. You will confuse the switch matrix and a lot if bad things will happen.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from oldmanpinball:

sorry i meant the Capacitor

Figured that was what you meant after the post. It's all good.

#30 5 years ago

Many technicians are taught to approach triage situations using the “shotgun” method—replace all major components that usually are the source of machine problems. This is the most expensive way to repair a machine, and it doesn’t always work. Troubleshooting by testing signals with a DMM, oscilloscope, or lohic probe and understanding the function of these components and how the machine is supposed to work will get you there faster and more efficiently.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from drocelot:

Yep I agree I just don't have those tools.

Theres only so much you can do without the tools or skills. Good luck.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from drocelot:

I have tools such as a DMM . I have worked in electronics (I've designed various equipment sold worldwide). I have very little knowledge of 1980's electronics, I'm simply reaching out to advice on historic.

Perfect...then use the DMM to check the pulse train instead of shotgunning. I don't own a logic probe and use the o'scope little in pinball except for audio troubles. I'd rather not drag out a lot of stuff, so mostly I use my DMM to see what is going on. Put the game in solenoid test, put the DMM in DC volts, and look for a positive or negative stuck signal or a pulse jump negative or positive. Works pretty well. Then start somewhere in the middle of the drive circuit looking for that pulse, comparing to an adjacent drive circuit for reference. Saves a lot of time and money.

I'd start at the 7408 comparing input pins 9 & 10 of the problem channel to a working adjacent channel, such as pins 12 & 13, and the output pin of the problem channel pin 8 to output pin of the working channel pin 11. This would give me an idea of what is going on and which direction to look to next.
b524b4e6bb03b56a5240d2635458d613 (resized).pngb524b4e6bb03b56a5240d2635458d613 (resized).png

#37 5 years ago
Quoted from drocelot:

I think its looking like the PIA chip..

Quite possible...did you get there by test or by guess? Another thing is to use your sense of touch, is the PIA significantly warmer than it should be? Sometimes they get discolored when overheated for a time, like a big hazy circle on top.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-solenoid-question-?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.