(Topic ID: 228651)

Alien Poker - Locked on Solenoid during tests.

By drocelot

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by drocelot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
_20181228_004445.JPG
b524b4e6bb03b56a5240d2635458d613 (resized).png
AlienPoker (resized).jpg
Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
Williams_System-6-7_Driver-Board_layout.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from drocelot:

I've decided to take the advise and redo the interboard connector.

Can anyone advise me the part numbers for these?

From great plains electronics site:
Receptacle/female pins - 09-48-2106
Male pins - 2420-10-2260

You'll need to buy 4 of each.

1 month later
#43 5 years ago

Does the slingshot work ok if you start a game or does it only lock on in diagnostics?
Did you ever manage to get the displays working?

Do you have a copy of Clay's system 3-7 repair guide? I've been searching it for more info concerning this issue, and found some interesting info. It looks like there may be another PIA chip involved with the special solenoids (typically pop bumpers and slingshots) that only gets involved during diagnostics. I realize this doesn't address a coil locking on in diagnostic mode, but does reference some interesting info regarding special solenoids and potential problems they could have only in diagnostics. Clay's guide goes into detail in section 3e. Here's what he wrote:

--Special Solenoids that work in the Game, but Don't in Diagnostics--

The special solenoids work fine while playing the game, but don't in the diagnostics. Should anyone really care? After all, the only use for the CPU control of the special solenoids is in the diagnostics. But I guess that's up to you to decide whether it should be fixed (after all, if the game plays, who cares?), but I'll try and explain why this could happen.

In diagnostics, the special solenoids are controlled by the CPU via PIA chips. Sounds simple enough, that's how the other 16 CPU controlled coils work. But it's not that simple, because unlike the other 16 CPU controlled coils which are controlled by PIA IC5 on the driver board, the special solenoids use *four* PIAs for their CPU control! Here's a logic chart:

_20181228_004445.JPG_20181228_004445.JPG

Note one of the special solenoid controlling PIAs is on the CPU board, not the driver board! (Better check that 40 pin interboard connector.) So if the solenoid IC5 PIA was replaced thinking it would take care of the special solenoids in diagnostics, chances are 5 out of 6 that the problem will *not* be fixed! (Usually it's the 7408 chip anyway.) And the special solenoids are not controlled by the PIA's "normal" ports. Instead they use CA2 and CB2, which are two specialized ports on the PIA, at pins 19 and 39. Leon's test chip does test pins 19 and 39 of all the PIAs, but unfortunately the pulses are usually not as clear as testing the "normal" port at pins 2-17 of the PIAs.

------------------

So, according to this chart, it appears IC18 comes into play when the left slingshot (aka kicker) is activated in diagnostic mode. IC18 is on the CPU board and is primarily used for the score displays, but apparently also functions for left slingshot (but *only* in diagnostics).

I gotta admit this is a weird problem, i hope this info is of help!

#45 5 years ago

Right on! I'm suspecting the score displays issue might have something to do with IC 18, which could also be the reason for the wonky behavior with the left slingshot in diagnostics. If you get lucky, maybe replacing IC18 will fix both problems. Even if it doesn't, at least it's another step towards getting this sorted out, i suppose. Good luck!

#50 5 years ago

NICE!!!! I really felt like that was a shot in the dark at the time, but it makes sense. I'm glad you had noted it's behavior was happening once you started the diagnostics--that's what led me down the path i followed in Clay's guide. I never would have known about the PIAs having the additional function for the special solenoids if it weren't for this thread. Interesting stuff!

It sounds like the game isn't keeping it's memory, going into 'audit mode'. (When you boot up the game, you have to do the quick on/off)...Usually means the batteries need to be replaced or there's a problem with the ram chip. Best solution is to eliminate the batteries altogether and install an NVRAM in place of the old ram chip. Also, you'll probably need to re-pin the connectors to the master display board and mpu to get more reliable displays. Note the master display board has special edge connectors, not sure what part # off-hand but you'll probably need to replace those too.

I'm really excited that you got to the bottom of this problem, it was an oddball! Congrats!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frunch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-solenoid-question-?tu=frunch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.