Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RGarriott
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm restoring an Alien Poker and have run into a real puzzle. When I start a game, the same sound keeps playing over and over. All lights work, and all solenoids fire during game play, but there is no scoring until the ball drains, then the accumulated bonus is added to the display.

Alien Poker has a five bank drop target that has to have its targets dropped in order from right to left to score and stay down, otherwise they pop back up. The middle target (the Queen) is the key to my problem. If the Queen target is not knocked down in the proper order, it pops backup and the problem continues. But when the Queen target is knocked down in the correct order, the machine suddenly starts scoring and the sounds start working correctly. The game will continue to function properly until the next target is knocked down, then the game reverts to its previous habits of a single repetitious sound and no scoring.

So how can the circuit of one drop target affect the entire game, including the sound board???? Am I having problem with some logic chip? I don't have a schematic for Alien Poker, but I do for Gorgar. Any help with this conundrum would be much appreciated. I feel I am almost on the edge of getting my first project actually functioning!!!

I should mention that the King target (to the left of the Queen) is permanently down because of a burnt out coil, and I haven't traced that problem out yet. But the game considers it correctly knocked down and gives credit for a Royal Flush when all the other targets are down.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

Sometimes with the sound going over and over is a blown fuse on the driver board. Even though the king target is giving no trouble fix that burnt coil as the problem really could be in that target. Sometimes with this game a burnt out coil or a stuck switch will cause those continued sound problems. I have an alien poker and should have a schematic with it. It's on location and I will be going there Wednesday so look over the schematic and see if there is anything else I can figure out for you.

#3 10 years ago

Well, if you hit a drop out of order it makes a sound and resets, right? Except the king is down and can't reset, so the game just keeps playing the sound and trying to reset it until you progress to the queen at which point the king is no longer out of order. Then when you hit the ace and it resets the whole bank you are back to the same problem.

#4 10 years ago

PSK I would sure appreciate you taking a look at the schematic.

GList, I think you're brilliant. I didn't think it through that way. I will try pushing the target up before I start a game and see if that corrects the problem. Thanks.

#5 10 years ago

GList, when the weather gets better we need to get together so I can buy you a beer. You were absolutely correct. When I pulled up the King target at the beginning of a game, the machine worked correctly until the King target got knocked down out of order or the bank tried to reset..

Unfortunately the target does not reset. It stays down. It doesn't pop up and then drop down when the others reset, it just stays down once it is knocked down. but once I've got that problem licked I think the machine will finally work correctly. If you have any ideas on this problem, would love to hear them. Right now I'm just taking the target bank apart to clean it....

Thanks again.

#6 10 years ago

Glad to hear that was it! You said the King target had a burnt coil, so that has been replaced but still doesn't fire? If so your first stop will be the associated driver and predriver transistors on the driver board.

6 years later
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from boneman91:

Unfortunately the target does not reset. It stays down. It doesn't pop up and then drop down when the others reset, it just stays down once it is knocked down. but once I've got that problem licked I think the machine will finally work correctly. If you have any ideas on this problem, would love to hear them. Right now I'm just taking the target bank apart to clean it....
Thanks again.

Boneman did you ever get this fixed as I am having the same issue but with the Q.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-puzzle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.