New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 147104)

Alien Poker Issues

By CUJO

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stretch7
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ic12-14_(resized).jpg
ic12_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I picked up a Alien Poker pin from a friend the other day.
The (4) pop bumpers all lit up when I tried it out but when I set it up at home, the do not light during the game nor do they light in attract.
I've checked all the fuses but they look good. All the 4 bulbs are good as well.
Any help will be welcome. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

Double check the connections (when head removed) and make sure the lamps did not become loose from the sockets.

#3 4 years ago

After a little more investigation, I noticed COLUMN 4 of the LAMP MATRIX is completely out.
I don't have a schematic for the pin and can't seem to find one online to see what transistor is the culprit.
The lamp matrix chart I do have (Page 12) shows it a 2J5-7 (Yellow/Black) and the entire Column 4 is out.
Anyone know the transistor responsible and if they know where I can pick up a schematic for the game?
Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

Doesn't sound like its worth the hassle. You'd be better off selling it to me

#5 4 years ago

Looks like Q69 third from the bottom of the driver board.

#6 4 years ago

None of the transistor designations are silk screened on the board so I can't really identify which one Razor.
I need a component location diagram to identify..The lower right of the board has a row of 6 transistors, above that is a row of 5 and above that another row of 5.

Edit: I figured it out based on looking at a Driver Board Component diagram from FLASH pinball.
Funny thou, the TIP 42 tests ok with the board out of the game using DIODE mode on my DVM.
At least the readings compare to the other TIP42's in the vertical row.

#7 4 years ago

I would suggest doing some more testing of the wiring and connections. If you unplugged things to take the backbox off something could just be loose/broken.

#8 4 years ago

That interconnect is always an issue. I had to repin the whole thing. It was an awful design that can cause all sorts of problems. Great game once you can get it solidly working

#9 4 years ago

It's the original driver board (35 yrs old) and it's had it share of components replaced.
The Interconnect looks somewhat "fresh" so I think someone had done that prior.
Maybe I'll throw it back together and see..I have unplugged, replugged that harness running down into the cabinet that contains that wire in question from Connector 2J5-7.

It definitely was working before I got it home...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll let you know.

#10 4 years ago

Inspected the board really well before putting it back in the backbox.
Checked the wire harness all the way, under the playfield. Unplugged/Replugged the connectors.
Still the same. All 4 pop bumpers will not light up. Also the Green Insert light under the spinner arrow bulb was blown.
When I put in a new #44, it was glowing really bright and hot, so I took it out..
Something wrong here for sure. Again without a schematic, I'm hoping someone can check theirs for me.
Also the (2) ACE inserts on the playfield are not lighting either.

Thanks!

#14 4 years ago

I hope this is helpful to you,best of luck
This matches what is in my blue cover owners manual

#15 4 years ago

Thanks Grizlyrig...
So far I'm still stumped...All 8 lamps in that column are out but Q69 tests ok and the path to the connector pin has continuity.

#16 4 years ago

Did you test the pre driver?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Grizlyrig:

I hope this is helpful to you,best of luck
This matches what is in my blue cover owners manual

I appreciate it but you sent the CPU board component/schematic, not the Driver board below it...

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Razor:

Did you test the pre driver?

No,, is that the little transistor just to the right of Q69? (also third up from bottom)

#22 4 years ago

check those links out

#23 4 years ago

Wow. I'm looking for predriver tranny Q68 but that system6driver.pdf has too much shaded black on the left side blocking the Q__ numbers.
Guess I'll just check them all...Better than what I had before X100!!

3 weeks later
#25 4 years ago

These are absolutely beautifully redone schematics for Firepower.
Has anyone done anything like this for Alien Poker?

2 weeks later
#26 4 years ago

Update: Replaced the TIP42 (Q69)and the 2N6427 (Q68) pre-driver transistors.

Well ,I thought it was a TIP42 (came out of a TIP42 baggie I had) but now I looked at my repair and I stuck in a TIP102. DOH!
I did get the 2N6427 correct though.

Even thou this is the wrong part (got TIP42C's) on order, will this damage anything, esp. the Pre-Driver
transistor I just put in?

The bumpers light up dimly once I start a game and get brighter when I activate the associated rollover.

Only had the game on for one game (12-15 min).

2 months later
#27 4 years ago

Update: Had a friend look at the board. He replaced (2) 2N6427's in the lower right he said were the wrong type.
Also pulled/installed all (8) TIP42C's ..Said the ones he pulled were not the right ones. I am trying to find the baggie with them in it so I can post what they were. He touched up some solder and tested runs with a DVM.

When I put it back in the pin, it was exactly the same way as I described before.

I snipped out IC12 (acid corrosion) and replaced with a 14 Pin socket and a N7406 IC.
Try it back in the pin. Same problem..

Swapped in a known good driver board from my Pharaoh. All worked perfectly.

Column 4 lamps still out with the bad board in.

Question: Even though IC12 was a mess (see pics) , does it control IC13 or go thru IC13 which is the 7408 for Lamp Driver Columns 1-4 according to a schematic I downloaded in this thread?

IC13 looks fine but is there a way to test before snipping out more IC's?

Can I test this with a logic probe or DVM easily enough? I'm smart enough to follow step by step instructions but I am still a newbie at reading/understanding electronic schematics.

Thanks if you can assist!

ic12_(resized).jpg

ic12-14_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#28 4 years ago

Update: Yep, it was IC13.

#29 4 years ago

Thanks for the update

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Topeka, KS
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
2,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
West Point, IN
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 72.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 11.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside