Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Snouticus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I just bought an Alien Poker as my first project. i just replaced the mpu/driver board with a RottenDog board with NVRAM (no batteries needed ). When I power the machine on, I get lights on the playfield, but the displays don't go into audit mode or even power.

I am looking for some assistance on where to start troubleshooting. Thx.

#2 6 years ago

Have you measured the display high voltage coming out of the power supply board? If either the +100v or the -100v are missing, the displays can't work.

#3 6 years ago

I haven't. This may sound like a dumb question, but how would I do that?? Thx.

#4 6 years ago

To Try and Eliminate the problem, I swapped the power board with one I know works (a rottendog power board from my Firepower). Thta didn't help. I only get power to the static lights. I get nothing on the playfield or the displays.

Last time I had this issue (in my firepower), it was a bad power board. Since that doesn't seem to be my issue I am thinking something with the transformer, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thx.

#5 6 years ago

Pins 3+4 of 3J5 (upper left on power supply) sound be -100v and +100v

#6 6 years ago

probably connector issue more than transformer. I bet your pins are looking green or dirty on the main ones for displays.

#7 6 years ago

Check to see if you have voltage on the input connectors at 3j1 on ps board. Should be anywhere from 18v, 28v, or 90v.

Almost sounds like your game isn't booting up since no insert lights and only GI is lit. I'm assuming that is what you mean by static lights.

I never used rottendog or nvram but if no batteries are in a game, an on-off-on quickly can get it to boot. Hope that helps.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Jeewiz13:

Almost sounds like your game isn't booting up since no insert lights and only GI is lit. I'm assuming that is what you mean by static lights.

Snouticus did you get no inserts with the original board too?

#9 6 years ago

Thox for the replys. Yes, I only get GI lites. I will check the voltage on 3j1 as well as 3J5 for the +100v. I didn't try with the original board as the guy I purchased it from said it had battery corrosion damage. When I removed the old board, I did notice that the battery holder was loose and not fully soldered to the board.

If the voltage looks ok, I will remove/resolder the battery holder and see if the old board works.

#10 6 years ago

If you're not getting inserts or displays I would definitely suspect the board not booting (or bad blanking) over voltage. Do the board's LEDs turn off?

#11 6 years ago

Thx for all the input. I figured this one out. Looks like I had a bad connector from the power board to the mpu. The 12v connection was not seeded correctly. Once I fixed that, the machine booted up just fine.

Now, on to the next issue. None of the coin door switches are registering credits. I suspect I need to validate all the configs since I am using NVRAM instead of a battery. I will also run diagnostics to see if that reveals anything.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-poker-displays-not-powering and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.