Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by msadan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1972 (resized).JPG
IMG_1971 (resized).JPG
IMG_1970 (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

I need some help from the big brains out there with a Williams display problem. This is on an Alien Poker, so 7 digit displays. The problem is in the master display board as swapping in a known good board eliminates the problem. Here's what's happening:
All digits/segments on all displays except the one in question display correctly. In attract mode when all digits should be zero the second from the left digit on player four also has the center segment (the "g" segment) lit, although not as brightly as the other segments. In game play all of the segments are lit all the time, although the segments that should be lit for any particular number are brighter than the ones that should not be lit. The images below are 2, 1, and 0. This only happens during game play (or attract mode), when running the display test all digits/segments display correctly, although it seems like the a, b, and g segment are a bit brighter than the others. All of the 10k resistors are okay. I swapped out the UDN7180 at IC2 just because I had one, no difference. Any ideas?
Thanks!!

IMG_1970 (resized).JPG

IMG_1971 (resized).JPG

IMG_1972 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Which display is it? It's probably your digit driver IC. I've had those cause similar weirdness on me before.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

Which display is it? It's probably your digit driver IC. I've had those cause similar weirdness on me before.

Good call! I was leaning towards it being the digit driver but I didn't have a spare. I pulled one from another bad board. It did the trick. Still curious why it functioned more or less normally in display test.

Thanks for the help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 22.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
$ 50.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside