• 16 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by littlecammi
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

dickhead (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

So I'm due to play in an Alien launch party tournament and was wondering if anyone had tips on the simplest/easiest way to put up a decent competition score.

3 weeks later
#2 2 years ago

Bump, did you discover any scoring strategies at the party?

1 month later
#3 2 years ago

Bump

No. Still clueless. Start mode, aim for flashing lights ?

#4 2 years ago

Playing modes and shooting for the flashing lights is always a good approach.

Hopefully there isn't a single strategy that clinches great scores, else I haven't accomplished my goal. (I'm very much looking forward to some of the top-tier players taking a crack at the game to show me where I'm wrong!) Until then, here are some thoughts on big scores...

Playing modes well is certainly a good strategy for big scores. Most modes, if completed well, have a straight-up value in the neighborhood of 10M points, which is already decent value. But wait, there's more! Using 2X Playfield scoring wisely can be huge... now a completed mode's value can jump to ~20M points if you're quick. (There are several ways to activate 2X Playfield... the obvious is by completing DROP SHIP on the ramps, but you can also do it by firing the Pulse Rifle weapon, or via Mother Mystery award.) If you win a mode, a portion of that mode's points (which does include any points doubled by 2X Playfield) is added as multipliable end-of-ball Scene Bonus. If you've won one or, hopefully, several modes on a ball, it probably makes sense to work on building your bonus X via the top lanes. An inlane->orbit combo will usually divert the ball to the top lanes. You can also advance bonus X by firing the Pistol weapon.

Of course, multiballs are a good strategy, too. Sentry Guns is the only multiball that can stack on top of another multiball (Ambush, Save Newt, Hypersleep). If you stack multiballs, the value of all the multiball shots is doubled ... and this *is* combinable with 2X Playfield, so that can become huge. Ergo, you're better off not starting Sentry Guns until you've first started another multiball. Multiballs can also be stacked on top of a running mode. There are clearly some modes that are better than others for combining with multiballs ... any mode that has "bad" shots (e.g. Acid Burn, Find Jonesy, Bug Hunt) may be poor choices for combining with multiballs, since balls will tend to randomly find the "bad" shots. (Although I'd probably be willing to take Bug Hunt into a multiball and hope for the best...) Conversely, some modes are excellent for stacking with multiball... e.g. Derelict Ship wants you to shoot the orbits and can potentially be extended indefinitely, so that's a great one to combine with Sentry Guns that also wants you to shoot the orbits.

If you're really going for broke (e.g. an unlimited "best score" tournament format, vs a one-try match play format), most game features can have their scoring boosted by things you do prior to starting that feature. For example: the egg-based modes (Derelict Ship, Queen's Nest) are boosted by destroying eggs (think: "pop level completed") before starting them. The value of Ambush Multiball is boosted by completing Lifecycles before starting it. etc...

Hope this gives some ideas about ways to approach the game for big scores. If you find a strategy that works well for you, I'd love to hear about it!

#5 2 years ago

Great post Joe - thanks!!

#6 2 years ago

How do the add-a-balls work in multiballs?

#7 2 years ago

According to several guys posting in the other Alien threads, request a refund and get your deposit or paid-in-full money back before the new investors run out of cash and you score big.

Added over 2 years ago: I apologize for the above misguided attempt at humor.
I would delete this post but it is outside the allowed time window.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

According to several guys posting in the other Alien threads, request a refund and get your deposit or paid-in-full money back before the new investors run out of cash and you score big.

Nah.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

How do the add-a-balls work in multiballs?

Mother will give you one add-a-ball per multiball.

If you're in a multiball other than Sentry Guns and then stack Sentry Guns, that also adds a ball.

#10 2 years ago

I've followed this game for a while, but I must have missed how to use/choose weapons that have been acquired. I've seen the "Launch Ball" button flash when I acquire a weapon, and I'll press it and be awarded something, but is there a way to cycle through weapons and choose one in particular? Any other relevant information on weapon usage?

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Mother will give you one add-a-ball per multiball.
If you're in a multiball other than Sentry Guns and then stack Sentry Guns, that also adds a ball.

Do you have to do anything to activate the mother add a ball, other than hit the shot?

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

This is not the thread for this. There are plenty of those already.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

dickhead (resized).jpg

#14 2 years ago

That's the wrong kind of scoring tip.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I've seen the "Launch Ball" button flash when I acquire a weapon, and I'll press it and be awarded something, but is there a way to cycle through weapons and choose one in particular? Any other relevant information on weapon usage?

The game should have huge stickers on the apron (where instruction/pricing cards live on many games) explaining how to use the weapons. The Extra Ball button cycles through available weapons; Launch button uses the selected weapon. The available weapons and currently selected weapon are shown on the Dashboard when not in a mode/multiball; similar info will also be added to the Airlock LCD when modes/multiballs are running.

Skilled use of the weapons is definitely an advanced technique. Each one has fairly obvious times when you might want to use it... e.g. Pistol (Advance Bonus X) is great if you have a big bonus and you just drained (but the ball hasn't hit the trough yet). I'll often fire the Pistol after winning a mode to ensure I don't forget it later. Shotgun (Spot Xeno Hits) can be a ball saver in the ball-drained-but-not-gone-yet situation if you have 1 or 2 Xeno hits left for Ambush. Pulse Rifle (2X Playfield) is basically useless if you fire it when the ball drains... that one is probably best used when you're starting a multiball. Smart Gun (Spot Lit Shot) is a wildcard... use it when you drain if some multiball is ready to start? Or to collect a lit Extra Ball or Super Jackpot you're having a hard time shooting? Lots of options with that one. (I have to note that it is occasionally less than smart and selects a suboptimal shot to spot. That's not intentional and will be fixed.) Finally, Flamethrower is a potential beast... ball saver, period. But a short one. Gotta get the timing right. That's by design, I didn't want it to be too_ powerful.

So there are lots of possibilities with all that. I know it's complicated. Players can ignore it all and just collect the extra end of ball bonus awarded for weapons in your inventory. Or jam the Launch button when you drain and hope something good happens. Or use them very deliberately while you play. Realistically, I expect most people will do one of the first two options, but IMHO, it feels pretty bad ass to whip out the right weapon at exactly the right moment.

Quoted from jonesjb:

Do you have to do anything to activate the mother add a ball, other than hit the shot?

Nope, just shoot the lit Mother shot. If Mother isn't lit, shooting all 3 Vent shots (any time, any order) relights her.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

This is not the thread for this. There are plenty of those already.

Sorry. It was meant strictly as a joke, but I never use emojis.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside