(Topic ID: 206661)

Alien pinball - Poor quality clear coat!

By libtech

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180107_174318 (resized).jpg
johnruskin1-2x (resized).jpg
final-nail-in-coffin (resized).jpg
E5258527-EB96-4584-941F-8A995762C91A (resized).jpeg
2F7C079C-F17D-4138-A92A-0C495148DF80 (resized).jpeg
PFM_0719.JPG
#1 6 years ago

Not sure who is producing the playfields for Heighway, however recently I just had a major issue with my Alien. A small piece was chipping around the magnet, which wasnt a huge deal, it happens, so I ordered a cliffy ring to cover and prevent more damage. Upon removing the mylar around the magnet to install the cliffy, to my surprise more than just the mylar came up, a 2 to 3 square inch section of the clear peeled right off! Came off super easy like peeling sunburnt skin.. Obviously the clear has very poor adhesion, not sure if I'm just 'lucky' or if it is common on all playfields produced. Just wanted to warn guys not to apply or remove any mylar on these!

Happily the art is intact, now I'll have the treat of having to get it re-cleared

PFM_0719.JPGPFM_0719.JPG

#2 6 years ago

I wonder what causes this? Is this a case of it not being fully dry?

#3 6 years ago

I was under the impression that Heighway playfields all come via Mirco?

#4 6 years ago

just write to highway, they will replace your pf like stern

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was under the impression that Heighway playfields all come via Mirco?

I heard Mirco was producing them as well. They make very nice playfields overall but some of the JJP games have had similar issues and many have art missing around magnets, saucers, or scoops.

Spooky seems to be the only ones really getting playfields right at the moment. No one will be perfect though.

#6 6 years ago

That really sucks, was the mylar around the magnet from the factory or did you apply it yourself?

#7 6 years ago

did you wax before putting the mylar down. I do that normally which makes removal much easier

#8 6 years ago

Well, shit. One more thing to add to the QC issue list.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

Well, shit. One more thing to add to the QC issue list.

Slow down. This is the first instance of this happening AFAIK. Not a huge deal and this happens from time to time with all manufacturers as was stated earlier.
And yes, the playfields are made by Mirco, no one better IMO.

This really isn't a Heighway issue, that would be impossible to catch before sending out.

#10 6 years ago

Good to hear. With all the apparent funding issues they've had, i was a bit concerned maybe they had changed to a different playfield manufacturer to save some cash. Guess I'm just getting progressively more paranoid the closer we get to mass LE shipments

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

That really sucks, was the mylar around the magnet from the factory or did you apply it yourself?

Only piece of factory mylar lol

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I wonder what causes this? Is this a case of it not being fully dry?

My guess would be something to do with surface prep before clearing

Quoted from DEN:

just write to highway, they will replace your pf like stern

So far no response to emails...

#13 6 years ago

Bummer man. I'd be pretty upset.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Slow down. This is the first instance of this happening AFAIK. Not a huge deal and this happens from time to time with all manufacturers as was stated earlier.
This really isn't a Heighway issue, that would be impossible to catch before sending out.

I wouldnt say this isnt a big deal, for my game it is. However, your right its not Heighways fault, if mirco made them, then it would be a mirco issue.

Also since they make playfields in batches, there are probably others just they havent found out yet.

However it is still Heighways responsibility, so we'll see if I hear anything back.

#15 6 years ago

Removing mylar is something that you need to be really careful with. Did you freeze it? Use goo gone?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Removing mylar is something that you need to be really careful with. Did you freeze it? Use goo gone?

Yes, supposedly you need to freeze it.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes, supposedly you need to freeze it.

Yes did, still came right up. I was being very slow and careful, it looked like glue residue was there at first, but after wiping it off you could tell.

The only positive thing I can say, is because the adheasion was so bad the art didnt get ruined.

#18 6 years ago

Just to understand this 100%
The problem first came when you removed the mylar?

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from tezting:

Just to understand this 100%
The problem first came when you removed the mylar?

No, if you look at the first post, there was a little bit of chipping at the mag, in a different spot unrelated to the peeling.

Looking at it before, you couldnt tell anything was wrong, but reguardless clear should not simply lift off like this.

#20 6 years ago

That stinks. I thought the clear on my Alien looked a little better than the couple CPRs I've had hands on. (Taxi and fish tales)

#21 6 years ago

2F7C079C-F17D-4138-A92A-0C495148DF80 (resized).jpeg2F7C079C-F17D-4138-A92A-0C495148DF80 (resized).jpeg

E5258527-EB96-4584-941F-8A995762C91A (resized).jpegE5258527-EB96-4584-941F-8A995762C91A (resized).jpeg

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

No, if you look at the first post, there was a little bit of chipping at the mag, in a different spot unrelated to the peeling.
Looking at it before, you couldnt tell anything was wrong, but reguardless clear should not simply lift off like this.

I understand and of course the clear should not lift. Just wanted to know.

#23 6 years ago

Yikes. That's painful to look at. Seems as though it would just flake right off.

#24 6 years ago

Mylar should come up VERY easy on a new game, and if it's lifting art, that's bonkers. That are should be sealed under the clearcoat, so if art lifted, you're pulling up however many layers of clearcoat AND art at the same time. If the clearcoat is that flaky, I'd be worried about the long-term viability of the playfield.

#25 6 years ago

I very well hope for Heighway that these are isolated incidents. If not, this could be the beginning of the end.

#26 6 years ago

At least you got a game. It's been 3 years and still no game. lol

#27 6 years ago

That makes me a sad panda

#28 6 years ago

That sucks too...

#29 6 years ago

Vivid - How many plays do you have on that? I'm curious about some of the games that have been to shows or have possibly many more plays...how they are holding up? There really should be some protection on scoops anyway, but typically you would get some clear chipping or dented wood that slowly grows making the hole more round than square. This appears to be a case of the art just flaking off in chunks early on. Not good.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Vivid - How many plays do you have on that? I'm curious about some of the games that have been to shows or have possibly many more plays...how they are holding up? There really should be some protection on scoops anyway, but typically you would get some clear chipping or dented wood that slowly grows making the hole more round than square. This appears to be a case of the art just flaking off in chunks early on. Not good.

The airlock scoop is not built properly in the production game, they know about it and in future games at some point it will be changed and a cliffy will be sent from factory. It caused this in 10 games once the ball began shooting out improperly due to the welded mech being too loose and not hugging the ball enough to continue to make the ball follow the scoop curve. It shoots up and hits the metal curve and comes back down and slams the pf. It began to do this after about 50 games of it working normally.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

The airlock scoop is not built properly in the production game, they know about it and in future games at some point it will be changed and a cliffy will be sent from factory. It caused this in 10 games once the ball began shooting out improperly due to the welded mech being too loose and not hugging the ball enough to continue to make the ball follow the scoop curve. It shoots up and hits the metal curve and comes back down and slams the pf. It began to do this after about 50 games of it working normally.

Even so the clearcoat sldnt do what its doing.....

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Even so the clearcoat sldnt do what its doing.....

I agree. Hopefully they get future playfields fixed and this will just be the first run that has this issue. The cliffy will no doubt help the scoop but I worry about other areas over the long term. I do recall early WOZ playfields having similar problems. They obviously corrected it.

#33 6 years ago

final-nail-in-coffin (resized).jpgfinal-nail-in-coffin (resized).jpg

#34 6 years ago

johnruskin1-2x (resized).jpgjohnruskin1-2x (resized).jpg

#35 6 years ago

Anybody else having PF issues?

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Quoted from pinlink:

Both of my games here have issues at the magnet.
One has the art lifting under the factory mylar.
The other has no factory mylar and a chip missing around the magnet.

#37 6 years ago

A few months of ownership and no scoop issues however it's imperative to get cliffy otherwise it will chip.

20180107_174318 (resized).jpg20180107_174318 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

Looks like that ramp sharted itself.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Looks like that ramp sharted itself.

haha - yeah the ramps have done that after use.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

So far so good. I have Cliffys on the scoop and magnet.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

haha - yeah the ramps have done that after use.

Maybe just take the ramps off and remove whatever that coating is and get them totally black?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Maybe just take the ramps off and remove whatever that coating is and get them totally black?

I don't like the black look as much (pref the look of it now). Unless I put my nose into the ramps, I don't even notice. I'm very happy with the entire package.

#43 6 years ago

It sounds like you were pulling up the Mylar and some cc came off the playfield.
I don't think any manufacturer would recommend us taking the factory Mylar off.
Is that what happened or am I missing something. Did the Mylar come off somehow and than you removed the mylar?
I'm confused.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

It sounds like you were pulling up the Mylar and some cc came off the playfield.
Is that what happened or am I missing something. Did the Mylar come off somehow and than you removed the mylar?
I'm confused.

Mylar sld not pull up a proper clearcoat......

#45 6 years ago

I never had Mylar on my machine from factory

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I'm confused.

There is no factory Mylar.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Mylar sld not pull up a proper clearcoat......

I have seen factory mylar pull up clear and art on all era of games if not properly applied and/or frozen off with freeze spray.

1 month later
#48 6 years ago

Any updates on this?

1 year later
#49 4 years ago

I removed some mylar around the magnet - no issues or broken edges.
Using Cliffy's everywhere and carbon fibre at the magnet - ok.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
9,799 (OBO)
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-poor-quality-clear-coat?hl=vividpsychosis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.