pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10852 7 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

The only way to drink with your new Alien pin
Bradford exchange.

Well, I don't know about ONLY...

Oh, and I just plunked down a deposit for an LE, and Melissa at Cointaker had some pretty specific shipping estimates. Of course, this is the first time I've ever even purchased a new pin, never mind pre-ordered, so I may well have just fallen off the turnip truck. I figure if I can throw a pinball party on Alien Day, I'll be really, really happy.

2017-02-11 20.37.00 (resized).jpg2017-02-11 20.37.00 (resized).jpg

#10873 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If I was a betting man, I'd say there is a 90% chance we'll see these in homes by the end of March.

That's in line with what I was told by Melissa at Cointaker.

I will be the first to admit that I am utterly clueless, though.

1 week later
#11206 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

You should never pay for goods or services as a gift. It is absolutely the right of the seller to request that the buyer covers the PP fees, though. You would pay for goods and add the amount of the fees to your payment.

Here's what the PayPal TOS says about that:

"No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions."

You're right though, you should never pay for goods or services with F&F.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#accepting-payments

#11358 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I don't really get unboxing videos, can someone please explain the appeal?

For me, since my space is fairly small and rather awkward to navigate, I find it's useful to see how this pin is packed, so I can formulate a strategy to get it into place.

It's also kind of fun, the same way I like watching my kid open a present.

As has been said, though, diff'rent strokes.

#11393 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Don't forget Terminator, small part but still cool non the less. One of only two men in history to take on a Terminator a Predator and a horde of Aliens, what a career

Don't forget the five years he spent married to three different women! (Or was that the horde of Aliens you were referring to?) Seriously, I thought "Big Love" showed he had some real range. I always loved seeing where he'd pop up next. I'll miss him.

#11502 7 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I'm leaning black trim, as it futureproofs the cabinet. With a black trim you can drop any other playfield in there as it will match anything.

This was my first thought, and then I tried to imagine a time when I would actually convert an Alien-themed pin to something else. I may end up with a second Heighway cabinet in the future and switch that one around, but I just don't see myself doing that with this one.

1 month later
#13019 6 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I’ve been away from Pinside for a while so apologies if I’ve not been communicating.
Anyway...
Happy Alien Day!

Well, as someone who has plunked down a deposit with Cointaker for an LE, I find this to be completely satisfactory.

Thanks Andrew!

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

It was approved approximately 1 hour ago

Even better!

#13033 6 years ago

Out of curiosity, has anyone seen an SE without the backbox LCD? That LE backglass is really making me wonder how critical it really is.

#13041 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

There are pictures on the Heighway website. I ordered ours without the LCD. I dig the SE backbox art.
http://www.heighwaypinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/alien1.png

Sorry, I should have been more specific, it's just a very exciting day!

I mean, has anyone seen one (or better yet, taken video of one) on location? I'm trying to figure out if the effect is similar to that of CV, where the DMD being in the cabinet rather than in the backbox works really well, or if will be hard for bystanders to see what's going on.

1 week later
#13526 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Fake news!!!
What's the new attack line from the lunatic fringe? "Why didn't they ship you a truckload!! Huh?? Whyyy?" #fakemoonlanding

Sorry for being off-topic, but I am totally incorporating that hashtag into my regular rotation!

#patientlywaitingfortheLEaweseomeness

#13730 6 years ago

I've only been following this thread for a few months, so I don't know if this has come up. My apologies if it has.

Would it be possible, if one were to purchase a game WITHOUT the 27" LCD in the backbox, to run an HDMI cable from inside the cabinet to an external monitor, say a flat screen on the wall? That would seem like a way to get the best of all worlds: The awesome LE art, as well as a (potentially much larger) screen for others in the room to follow the action. I'm envisioning something that would almost look like a PAPA tutorial, but in real life.

Is this realistic?

#13782 6 years ago

Is it actually possible that we've gone almost an entire day without a post in this thread?

Did everyone get that Ransomware thing that's been going around Europe?

#NeedMyFix

#14043 6 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Covenant was nearly as bad as Alien Ressurrction to me. Makes the series look like it needs to be retired. Still excited as hell to finally play (and likely order) the pin, however. So glad they stuck to just the first two films for it.

Completely agree. my take: With some difficulty, it managed to clear the relatively low bar of becoming the third best film in the series.

The continuation of some of the thematic stuff that was going on in Prometheus was disappointing.

Still can't wait for the game! (well, I CAN, but I won't enjoy it. )

#14194 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Well I'll maintain my opinion anyhow that it sucked
When I think of the greatness of Alien Covenant is a joke and yes does NOT do Alien brand justice by any stretch
It was more of a comedy slasher with zero fear factor

I think what did it in for me was that Covenant followed in the footsteps of Prometheus in that people do insanely stupid things and end up dead. That's not scary, that's justice. The first two films, IMHO, were scary precisely because, for the most part, people were largely making good decisions and acting intelligently, and still got killed. To me, that's much a much more effective way to create fear.

1 month later
#15405 6 years ago

Did anyone else with a deposit in at Cointaker get a call from Melissa today?

She seemed to be really impressed with the new management, and actually had what sounded like relatively firm ship dates.

We'll see, but it sure felt like glad news. I hope so, as I am now all in...

#15412 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

which are when?

She said somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 days until it's in my house.

I'm a bit nervous about typing this, we'll see what happens. I'm just hoping that all the excitement and adrenaline didn't prevent me from hearing her correctly. She also mentioned that they are being shipped to Cointaker 4 at a time, which is, for them, not as good as getting 10 at a time.

#15423 6 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Is this for a LE? Did they ask you about trim color/options? (I have a feeling the new owners will just have one LE trim color instead of three options, just seems a lot easier on their end)
While we haven't heard much from the investors if they've been talking to Cointaker and they feel good about things that seems positive. Interesting we're hearing about Cointaker sending new games before Heighway sending new games to direct customers.

Yeah, it's an LE. I specified green trim and my preferred LE number when I put my deposit down. I'm actually not terribly surprised that any factory is shipping greater numbers to distributors than to direct customers initially. There are economies of scale at work, as well as the fact that a wholesale customer who orders dozens of games at a time is by definition a "Big Customer".

#15434 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I think it's "make your big distributor" happy and a champion and having them be your advocate. Coin taker has a great reputation and they can also grab new orders. Making them happy and filling orders will amplify confidence in the community and open the door for new orders.
Instead of working one by one with individual orders...

My thoughts exactly. As a manufacturer, their wholesalers are by far their biggest customers, and have probably been committed long before most of the individual direct buyers. It also seems like a better way to get the games out in the wild: send them out in quantity in a container to one address.

Of course, the best news is that it sounds like games are getting ready to move for real. It's gotta be frustrating for someone who wrote a check to Heighway for the full amount months or even years ago, but hopefully the wait is almost over, and playing until dawn sure sounds like a good way to ease the pain.

2 months later
#16370 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't take anyone seriously who has never seen the films[...]

I'm glad someone else said this first. As far as I'm concerned, I just don't have the basis to interact with someone who doesn't know where 20% of my habitual utterances come from. "It's the only way to be sure"

2 weeks later
#16630 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Nice - things are definitely in motion. Apparently tomorrow will be the day that they are actually shipped so I'm hoping to either see new pics on their FB page or an update from Cointaker as they committed to updating me by EOD tomorrow.

I just about lost it when I got the call that my LE was a month out, and I read my credit card number (more than a month ago). I don't blame Melissa, and I'm certainly still in, but your optimism is pretty cool...

#16676 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

For those doubting I'm getting one of the first ones, that is what I was told by CT.

And I was told my LE wold be in my basement by March 31st of this year ("The first ones are finally shipping"). That caused me to accelerate other things so I could have my Alien Day party on 4/26. That didn't happen.

I was also told my LE would be "In the first container". That didn't happen.

I was told "You'll have it in 30 days". That one got me excited, because suddenly I was looking at the possibility that my AFMr and my Alien would show up ON THE SAME DAY. The AFMr has almost a thousand plays on it now.

So while I admire your enthusiasm, there isn't a great track record for what people are told and what actually happens.

Now, I'm trying to figure out if CGC "Game #3" will be in my basement before Alien (I actually doubt it. ).

1 week later
#16780 6 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

The best way to alleviate Alien Delivery Syndrome is precisely to go out and get another game, or two. Since I ordered Alien I have taken in eight machines, and five of those since I paid in full. I am completely desensitized to the whole thing and will just be stoked when it shows up.
I have become.. comfortably numb.

This is so very true. My AFMr LE has taken away a lot of the pain of waiting.

Sounds like about 1/8 of the soothing you have seen.

3 weeks later
#17479 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

On my way back. Only one set of beacons received. Mine did not have them.....

Congratulations! Oh, and drive carefully!

When I picked up my AFMr, it was a 10-minute drive from my house, but I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure it was still really there.

3 weeks later
#18506 6 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes!....let these early people get the bugs worked out. Hopefully Heighway can work out and refine the machine within the next few months....

That's exactly it. If there's a silver lining to being all-in for an LE, it's the hope that it'll show up problem free, and maybe even have some mylar installed at the factory.

That and the hope that my Hallowe'en/Alien Day party disappointment cycle is at least close to being over.

1 month later
#19203 6 years ago

I got my AFMr in black, because I ordered my Alien LE in green, and I thought it would be way too much green in my 3-game collection. I'm liking what I'm seeing. It could probably still be a shade darker, but I keep the lighting in my pin area dim, so I think it will work out nicely.

Meanwhile, I keep reminding myself that every day I still spend waiting for my game is another day for The New HP to get new reports from the field and tweak the production line.

I know, I know, but right about now it's the best hope I've got.

3 weeks later
#19651 6 years ago
Quoted from Makakka:

You can see it that way. You have nothing to say to them unless you pay in full so you are nothing to them. I dont know if they care much about the crumb bums and shoe clerks (not all) you are leading here because this thread alone contains tons of hate and defamation against the company. The main stream here says refund in open mouth like baby bird, never buy pin from them and buying experience is agony and frustration (other threads are worse).
I paid in full 2016 to support Andrews great vision and my taxes so I am something to them. Actually due to good contacts and much work some time ago fueled by anger (when Andrew did unhealthy tours in your country with my money) I can just pull the trigger and a bomb (since then in hypersleep chamber) drops in Wales, it would cost me a few minutes and no money. But I dont want that. I dont see a le shipped that was fully paid after mine in Andrews era (we ordered pin in Andrews era, these are completely different orders to post Andrew orders because a man is responsible for his trust, only kids, women and fags blame third parties for their mistakes) and that is not even important. Important is I appreciate the new owners and some loyal staff (I pray for their health) dig that pin out the shithole Andrew left it in and I dont want to disturb that process.
Besides, you are one of the golden boys of Morgan, he gifted you with a christmas dream. I received nothing personal from them since the ashes of Andrew. It hurts but it is ok until they hurt my trust which I feel wont ever happen. I feel they will deliver and I felt it all the time because this pin is dark magic that will succeed (it contains the bones Andrew ripped out of Nordman). I will comment (and donate) here when I have it or comment before when that stoner from California makes subpar comment again (I cant take it any longer) and you will have it also (after me I believe) if you keep your inner shakra intact. Until then.

Uhhhhhhh... What???

2 weeks later
#19885 6 years ago

I haven't had much to say lately, but I finally got a chance to play Alien at a local arcade.

I have to say, after one game, all is forgiven. I put down a deposit almost exactly a year ago, and paid in full a few months back when Melissa called to say that the LEs (including mine) would be delivered within 30 days. I wasn't a math major, but I'm pretty sure it's been longer than that.

I've been a bit nervous, sure, but my hopefulness and excitement were greater than my apprehension. I stayed in quietly, and played a lot of AFMr, which I ordered long after I ordered Alien, and which I have been enjoying for months.

Gotta say, and this is just me: I think it's gonna be worth the wait. I think the SE is beautiful, and with the topper, shaker and illuminated blades, the LE is going to be a great complement to my AFMr. The play feels a bit leisurely compared to my lightning-fast Attack, and the theme integration is absolutely stunning. I don't even care for wide-bodies normally, but since this is a dream theme for me, I took a chance, and it sure looks like they got it right. I can't wait to play this in a dark room with no other sound going on!

I know this is no news to those of you lucky enough to have your games, or to even have one nearby, it just seemed like a good time to share some low-key enthusiasm for the whole adventure.

2018-01-29 14.25.25 (resized).jpg2018-01-29 14.25.25 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#20235 6 years ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Look at the photo below and you will see what happens when you pay off the rest of your bill when she calls you....
Are you ready? I don’t want you to get triggered...
Tada! An alien appears in your game room a few weeks later.

Hunh. She called and I paid at the end of last June...

Still no Alien in my game room.

I'm not complaining, but there isn't exactly a direct relationship between payment and delivery a couple weeks later.

1 month later
#20586 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Is it just me, or does the green trim look better now than before?

It does, but the bar is really low. It still hasn't reached the "looks good" threshold.

1 week later
#20701 6 years ago

Wow, this is a truly depressing development.

I haven't heard from Melissa yet, but I suspect I will be soon, as my LE has been paid in full with her for the last several months.

Now I gotta see if there's something else on CT's site that can fill the void. Maybe CGC's remake #3 will be announced soon!

#20758 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Well looks like CT is out. Got an email from Melissa asking if I’d like to move funds to another game or a refund. She said they’ve been waiting on parts for some games for more than a year and can’t send them money for games if they’ll all end up busted with no help available. I thought HW would do all they can to keep their relationship with CT but it seems to be over.

Just curious if anyone else has gotten this email? It looks like I can still add an Alien to my cart on CT's website.

I'm not necessarily doubting the truth of any of this, but I always like to look for evidence, or at least fallout.

#20759 5 years ago
Quoted from Zennmaster:

Just curious if anyone else has gotten this email? It looks like I can still add an Alien to my cart on CT's website.
I'm not necessarily doubting the truth of any of this, but I always like to look for evidence, or at least fallout.

I just heard from Melissa. Yeah, it's not sounding too good...

I am just a little bit heartbroken.

#20763 5 years ago

Well, I'm out... I don't feel good about it, but I think it's the right thing to do...

#20816 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

They can also tell their customers they take machines "as is"..... Just a thought....

Even with all the "ifs" associated with that idea, it's hard to imagine someone actually writing the page on their website:

"$8,000 plus options, but it may not work out of the box. If you have any problems, you're just outta luck. Some folks have had no problems though, so your odds might be ok".

I have to say, while I am deeply disappointed that I won't be getting an Alien LE anymore, I am just as deeply impressed with the way CT has handled the situation. Melissa was very honest and forthright with me, and I am convinced that they made a difficult call to protect their business and their customers.

They're doing it right, and I'll definitely be a customer again in the future.

#20821 5 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

Thread needs a new pole.
A. Getting a refund from CT
B. Rolling-over my deposit into a different game through CT
C. Curling up on the floor, sobbing, and drinking myself to death

Started out with C, then moved to A.

Thought about B a LOT, but realized I could score a Funhouse AND a RFM for the money. Anybody in the PNW looking to part with either one???

#20876 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

As long as the final plastic isn't brittle it will likely be stronger than original.

If it's printed in ABS, I'd suggest putting a little bit of teflon grease on the teeth. If it's PLA, it probably isn't necessary. In any case, I'd print a bunch of spares. It's SO much easier to have them handy when they eventually wear out.

#20878 5 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Take the old gear and slap a supreme logo on it. Sell it for $3k.

That is currently my favorite thread on Pinside. No exceptions!

#20923 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Either:
1) The container never existed / wasn't ready to go
2) Most/all of the pins that were due to go out have been sold to others in Europe
3) The container never left due to CT backing out due to a breakdown in the relationship / lack of confidence
Any of those three are possible to be honest, with 3 being the least likely in my opinion.

#3 is pretty close to what Melissa told me: The container was ready to go, but CT wouldn't authorize payment without assurances that HW would make good on spare parts and support.

#20976 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-se-for-sale-or-trade-for-iron-maiden-le
$12000 anyone?
Yikes, for a game that won't be repairable anytime soon.....

Maybe it's the "Supreme" edition???

#21531 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

{lots of good stuff here}

TIME TO STOP BERATING PINSIDERS FOR WANTING A GAME....."I told you so, and was chased off the thread" is just bullshit....hope you are happy you were right.....rant over....out...mark

Here, here!

It looks like I'll be getting my money back (THANK YOU MELISSA!!!), but all things considered, I'd really rather have had the game. Beating each other up accomplishes nothing. Wanna be right? Fine, you were right, and you told us so. My take: I got to play one (which is now down with a broken proprietary board), and it was everything I hoped for. I won't be getting one, and I'm more than a little disappointed. I don't really see how being pissed off at another nerd is going to help anyone...

That's all I've got, I'm going back to drowning my sorrows...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zennmaster.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=zennmaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.