DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23490 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

I just finished the installation of a playfield protector on my Alien. It removed a lot of parts and took the chance to fix / optimize many "details". Both ramps were stuck in the playfield so bad, that I preferred to cut the outer loop of the protector instead of damaging something. I like the result and I know my Alien much better now
The protector is made by Playfield-Protectors and as you can see by the picture it fits very well. Currently they offer a Halloween special (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playfield-protectors-halloween-special).
[quoted image]

Are those adhesive or do they just lay on top?

2 years later
#28150 3 years ago
Quoted from skyknight320:

Merry Xmas Alien Owners.......................
[quoted image]

Posting in an Alien thread wondering why there's never been a Die Hard pin

#28183 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted_again:

Recently arrived and I still couldn’t be more excited.
[quoted image][quoted image]

OMG?? Are there really some sitting in boxes? Or is there a story behind this?

#28191 3 years ago
Quoted from razorsedge:

Wrong thread guys. You need to find the right thread!
Zablon mate that is a NIB OG Alien.... you only had to read what is written on the box man! . Pinball Brothers thread is a couple of other places but this isn't it.
And @Dpecker you're only reading half and taking junk out of context. People were asked to take it to the appropriate thread. Please do!. Thanks.

I know it's an OG, that's why I asked.

1 week later
#28238 3 years ago

Ohhhh I like that! Is that custom or is someone making them?

8 months later
#28812 2 years ago

Did not realize that was new to the PB model. Interesting. I would say it makes the game...easier most likely? I will say it is cool when the alien throws the ball around that orbit and it goes in.

Will be great if they can work the PB code updates/fixes to also work with the HWY ones!

#28835 2 years ago
Quoted from RETROCENGO:

DID the LE version 7000usd?? thats crazy cheap, can you share the picture of that apron buddy?

I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with current events, but that was 4-5 years ago. Pins are way more expensive now. And with that price, MANY of them didn't work. Way beyond anything broken on PB. While you can buy a HWY now that finally has all the kinks fixed (by the people who bought them), the PB just came out. I understand there is some animosity over the whole ordeal, but this isn't a 'OG vs New' situation. We can debate why they didn't fix certain designs for sure, but so much gaslighting and pretending the bad history isn't there. There is no denying it that the 7777 price tag on this is cheap by todays standards.

#28838 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'll post over on this side of the Alien story, but am really glad PB has brought a remake to life. I like the look of the LV art package, and think it is fantastic that more people can enjoy this game. If I hadn't picked up a late run LE last year, I'd buy the LV now. But having owned the original for a good part of a year now, with minimal issues beyond normal pinball ownership, the remake does look a bit cheap in comparison. And to be fair, it probably is. The cabinet alone on the original is like a custom work of art, disagree with people who don't like it. It really adds to the experience that you are playing something extraterrestrial. The weight alone, and larger edge panel for the glass are pretty amazing. The larger screen on the backglass and playfield screen immediately immerse you in the universe of Alien. The side lights, backlight EL panels, create amazing atmosphere. Hope the remake catches some of that, as the gameplay should be basically the same with the exception of the extra magnet, which sounds cool. I'd enjoy having an LV next to my original for comparison, but already know which one I'd keep.

Yeah, I don't disagree that the HWY is a work of art asthetically.

2 weeks later
#28910 2 years ago
Quoted from Averell:

Most of the PB-ALIEN owners still think that we are the trolls...

Last I checked, trying to make people feel shitty about their purchase in an owners thread is pretty trollish. You didn't add anything meaningful to the thread until 3-4 pages later. Maybe that wasn't your intent, but that is how it came off.

Even if not, the pettiness from people in this thread is pretty bad.

#28919 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nothing " petty" about it, and pales to the bs in the " other" thread. Kool Aid is unbelievable.
PB caused the divisiveness, plain and simple, for all this bullshit. Doubt any sleep is being lost.
Think the VE version can keep getting their "care packages" while they can, and we'll be where we've always been.....enjoying and taking care of the real Alien.
Like to think I've always tried to put my best foot forward w my posting....very, very hard w the situation we must now live with regarding this game.
Deleted many posts ( in this thread, extremely unwelcome in the other, made blatently clear), and choose to just keep supporting this community. Life is too short.
HW here, PB there....best of luck....is what it is

Look man, its clear that you have some emotional baggage around this game, and that's cool. I don't think anyone attacked 'you' in the other thread, but things were a bit heated at the time because of what were perceived as attacks on them from ppl here. I think kcciaio hit it on the head regarding things. You are always going to have people who are 'mine is better than yours' mentality, but the bulk of the people who deal with all the drama around this particular machine are in it because they are Alien fans. We deal with it because we love the franchise and it is a dream theme, stupid or smart? I don't know, but I for one think we are all in it together, some just been dealing with it longer.

I avoided much of this thread over the years so I would not be enticed to buy one due to my own personal price limits so I admit, I don't know all the details about it. But what I did know is how the community got together and made things better which is great. I never expected to own one. I am perfectly happy with a 'stripped down' version since the gameplay is basically identical. I love the game. Yes I think the HWY model is the best visually appealing of the bunch, and clearly I don't agree with all the decisions PB made, but I'm just happy to own the game and glad more people can get their hands on one if they chose.

1 week later
#28944 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I was just typing that...is it just the camera angle? Thought this was to be in a standard W/B cab configuration? Looks really.....short
More Aliens for others to play I suppose, given the originals can't be had.

It is about the size of OLD bally's from what I can tell. Like..it seems to be the same size as my Xenon head. I would not say it is standard though. IMO the Alien head on the OG was always strange looking because it was so thin. This one appears to be normal thickness.

The reason it sits so low is because there's not that extra neck piece that that era of backboxes had. Instead it sits directly on the cabinet. Asthetically, it appears fine when you are in front of the machine. Another thing that seems like and odd choice, maybe trying to replicate the look of the OG without completely copying it.

#28947 2 years ago
Quoted from Mik-ReadingUK:

My HW Alien performed flawlessly over the recent UK Pinfest weekend (apart from a flipper rubber falling off!) - The PB one next to it had trough issues all through the weekend and drew a lot of negative comments. Mine has about 4000 plays on it after spending 2 years at Flipout London but did me proud.
[quoted image]

Fair assessment, but tell everyone how much time you spent - or the previous owner - spent fixing that machine? How much additional cost went into it to get it running? I think these are the things people are refusing to acknowledge when making the comparisons. The game has been out 5 years? How many years and what number? Was it an early build? A later build? A later cobbled build? These things matter. I mean, we have an entire thread here of 'non - partly working' Aliens for years. The revisionist history, and simple gaslighting is getting to be a bit much.

Just remember - most of you paid more to double what the PB machine is, and many of those were shit coming out of the box. I played a few OG's on location a few years ago, and they ran for less than 30 seconds. This is why I told myself I would never pay the rarity tax on this game. So let's not pretend that they are flawless. There is less than 1/3 of those PB games in the wild right now compared to the HWY, and many of those apparently ended up on location (which is simply a horrible idea). They will hopefully continue to improve as they make more.

#28950 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I separated usb inputs into the motherboard from the i/o boards with an extra splitter cable and adjusted another to the playfield screen…. Zero problems. Mine was a later “cobbled” build from the last parts, as you call it, and I’ll never trade for your remake.

That's awesome. I'm in the same boat with my remake. Hardly any issues. So I guess that means everyone else is incorrect and they are both flawless machines!

I hope you see my point.

#28954 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Look at your own thread, there are problems. One operator over there is ready to blow his remake up. All machines need adjustments. The early remakes will likely need more than later ones, like the original. What I’m hearing from owners of both is that the remake feels much cheaper, and doesn’t have the same atmosphere.

You're arguing the wrong point. We know there are issues, but you have people here pretending that the HWY didn't have more than its fair share on most of the actually made games and comparing the fixed games with a game that just came out. There's what roughly 100 of them? There's only 40ish of the PB.

The only people saying it doesn't have the same atmosphere are the people who have an OG. It probably doesn't but it doesn't impact the gameplay at all. As for feeling cheap...it's practically the same game. The only major difference is the cabinet not being a tank. It's still a heavy bitch. Maybe it's cheaper flipper switches - can't speak to that, but other than Sterns, all new games seem cheap in that area.

#28958 2 years ago
Quoted from dts:There were a lot of issues with the first Standards, less with later LEs. It may end up the same with the remakes Standard vs LV. One owner of both told me the remake feels like a cheap Chinese version side to side with his original. I’m really glad Alien is getting remade, but a little disappointed PB was unable to duplicate the original. Still, if I had a remake for $8k, I’d enjoy it and stop comparing to the original.

I completely get the side by side comparison, but in todays market, it just looks like a Standard versus an LE. And the cost difference kind of backs that up.

#28960 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

To have anyone say anything negative about the new one is sacrilege,.

I think it is just the blanket statements that get annoying. It'd be like someone coming in here and stating that HWY Aliens are all pieces of crap that never work. There's going to be people who's experience doesn't match it and point it out.

1 month later
#29115 2 years ago
Quoted from chucky87:

I regret that pinball brother did not keep the same case as the eightway one. It is here original and innovated the pinball crate. I'm sure it would have guaranteed them even more sales.

It is pretty and unique for sure, but in 90% of people's tight side by side collections would be meaningless. I'm glad I could save some money for something that would not have had much impact in my collection. I've found that unless you are a hardcore pinball person, no one cares about bling or LCD screens etc. They just hit buttons barely paying attention to rules or videos. They DO pay attention to the backbox art, and the playfield lights, and the toys on it.

#29119 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

They chose their path for costing reasons....nothing to regret. I remember people bitching because there wasn't more art on the cabinet. Now, no one sees it or cares (?)..... guess all machines should just be black on the sides.....be grateful if you have one....

Nah, I don't think that no one cares. I was just explaining that to most people once you see it...you won't really see it normally. Given the option, we probably would have all liked to have the original sides because they are indeed badass.

That being said...I would not have a problem with all black cabs lol if it saved 1k.

6 months later
#29439 1 year ago
Quoted from Jjlp:

Hi guys!
My alien is on sale in France, shipping possible !
Here for details and some pictures
https://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/threads/heighway-pinball-alien-original.249308/[quoted image]

Man I tell you...that side panel is the biggest thing I miss on the PB. Even though I'd never see it with how I line my games up, it is just amazing to look at and seems like a big miss.

1 year later
#29749 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

This is somewhat reassuring...!
What's the other game?

Meanwhile, this definitely isn't..!

Let me throw a bit of levity to the grumpy asses in this thread. Remove all the BS regarding the HWY version, overall the PB version plays better and is more stable. PB has worked out most of the issues they had. I have a very early ones and have had hardly any issues with mine. Would I trust it on a route? Nope, but I wouldn't trust a HWY on route either. I haven't ever found one that played correctly for very long.

For overall appearance, stock HWY wins. There are some unique things on the HWY version that just cannot be topped from an aesthetics perspective since PB removed them. With mods, PB is pretty good, just in different areas. I am not a fan of the Ripley version art, but that's because it matches the LV art which I didn't care for either.

For what they are asking at current prices for other games, if you are remotely interested in an Alien, Ripley version is a no brainer, but at the same time you get used right now for less - probably with mods as well. The one thing most of the HWY and PB Alien owners do agree on is that it's a great game overall.

A few points of clarity too. It is just new video (and maybe some callouts from video). There are no new modes or gameplay changes.

#29751 6 months ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is this conjecture or in the know type stuff?
Thank you for the thorough and objective review on both!
Quick question. Who makes their playfields currently?

It's stated on the website/posts regarding the game.

Um..I forget exactly who...it's an Italian company...good quality. Not sure if it is different than HWY's though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.