• 24,631 posts
  • 986 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by dung
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,837 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7558E0DA-70D4-4AEA-8699-7E8E506CE582 (resized).jpeg
7B5B82F0-6FB6-4B76-BE21-4A56537885BD (resized).jpeg
8714E3FD-D526-496C-B18A-E775776E9AF1 (resized).jpeg
Alien Rulesheet.pdf (PDF preview)
02205183-C289-4CFF-A7A3-097DA7882E83 (resized).png
F404241E-FFAA-4989-BB1A-73FAF80696F1 (resized).jpeg
20180621_003705 (resized).jpg
13 (resized).JPG
bf871ec7-c9e4-4525-9f84-c8fc1562d683 (resized).jpg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0206 (resized).JPG
IMG_0174 (resized).JPG
8DD01CAF-4ECE-4896-B9A0-4C7DB70AD2CB (resized).png
alien 426 (resized).jpg
74D4BC05-58B7-4918-940B-37C99FAB6017 (resized).jpeg
EE867F13-8192-4B1F-BA97-B9F3A5869811 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

52 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider weirpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16593 1 year ago

Played one of the 1st 4 shipped from cointaker at the Cleveland show. Some minor issues, but nothing bad. The game is now on my radar and will follow to see how reliable they are and watch for software updates. Hoping they come through on this because the game is killer!

Scott

#16603 1 year ago

As they get out there, I'm sure bugs will be discovered - would like to see continued updates as the game continues to ship

#16665 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Am I the only one that thinks one year from now it will be a completely different picture, Alien will be a top 5 pin, that people (including naysayers) will be scrambling to buy and play?

I hope I'm one scrambling for it - but not taking a chance now. I'll let the company and pin prove itself first...

2 months later
#18957 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

Latest shipment is released and will arrive to CT on Tuesday....I don’t know who all is getting one from that shipment aside from me. I think this shipment was only of 7 games, but don’t quote me on that. As far as CT is concerned, they worked to get me my game as early as possible and didnt ask for full payment till last Sunday. So I have no issues with them what so ever. Glad we cleared that up. I just want my Alien like everyone else here. Looking forward to next Thursday.

I was told there were 6 and 3 following in a few weeks.

#18960 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

If the games are coming by boat there has to be more than 6. Last time there were 20. I didn't think you could share a container...

Just repeating what Melissa told me.

#18978 1 year ago

Any updates on the latest shipment?

#18982 1 year ago

Receiving my game tomorrow from CT.

Awesome - guess I'll send an email to check...

#18984 1 year ago

I believe they just took shipment today or yesterday. If your waiting on shipping from CT I would guess it would arrive next week as they don’t deliver weekends. Prob mon-wed but that’s a total guess. Just shoot her an email. Melissa is very professional and friendly.

Just heard I should expect a call anytime now...

#19006 1 year ago

Nah, it’s on the road to me. Not concerned. I’ll update when it arrives. Btw, I didn’t know the PSW10 sub was so freakin big.... Jesus.

Who is delivering it sti or someone else?

#19013 1 year ago

Update: game will be arriving in 30 minutes!!!!

Who is the shipping company?

#19072 1 year ago

Mine is delayed - had to resend shipping info - bummer!

#19195 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Well, I like the green much more than the blue, has the potential to grow on me, but anxious to see the black, as well.
Part of me wishes they could send me the hardware unfinished, and would have my local powdercoat guy do it in a color I liked. In truth, though, to keep the LE as much as original as possible (and I'm getting lazier), I'll probably stick with one of the 3 factory colors......

Just do like me - buy a standard and customize it the way you want. More work - yes, but you get what you want.

#19199 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not sure how far you've gone back in the threads, but I'm a VERY early adopter (1st week of announcement), so not really an option for me. A standard, upfitted with all the extras, would cost substantial more than what I paid for my game, and (in theory) some of the artwork, etc. is unobtanium for a standard.
I had been hoping the blue would have been darker, as that color really goes well w the lit blades, but too bright for me.
I like the differentiation of green from black (guessing they will just put the same black trim that is being used on the standards), but will wait and see (wait, wait, wait being the key word here....)....

Gotcha - I would stick it out as well.

3 weeks later
#19577 1 year ago

So just to clarify, just download and leave the file as-is to update or do you have to extract something?

#19604 1 year ago

Warming up to room temp now....

002 (resized).JPG

#19605 1 year ago

Before I turn it on and update the code - is there a list of common stuff to check? I did a visual on all the connectors - only found one loose and one solenoid wire that came off. Adjusting the mouth, etc?

#19607 1 year ago

So far -
Ball won't launch up the ramp - hits it and comes back to the kicker.
Ball won't go into the mouth, hits alien jaw and falls off.
High pitched sound when I hold the left flipper.
Trough kicker was too strong and ball would bounce right back into the trough. - Fixed.

Looks like I have some reading to do on the other three problems. Everything else seems fine so far.

#19615 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I have my ball launcher power set pretty low, that helped mine. some people put a spacer on the mech which helped their alignment.
You'll have to mess with the xeno in the service menu to see what's going on. Your servo arm might need to be moved a notch on the spline so the jaw goes all the way open. make sure you don't hear a bunch of servo buzzing when the jaw is closed it'll burn out the servo over time.

I lowered the power as much as possible and had to align the plunger - easiest to do if you extend the plunger with the 3 screws on the bracket loose. That way you can make sure the plunger is driving the ball straight into the wireform.

#19622 1 year ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

You'll have to mess with the xeno in the service menu to see what's going on. Your servo arm might need to be moved a notch on the spline so the jaw goes all the way open. make sure you don't hear a bunch of servo buzzing when the jaw is closed it'll burn out the servo over time.

It was the jaw hitting the left target - bent it forward a bit and the jaw dropped right down. I'll have to watch these targets as they will probably bend back and clearance for the jaw is minimal.

#19623 1 year ago

Anybody figure out what would work best to protect the playfield screen?

#19624 1 year ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

It was the jaw hitting the left target - bent it forward a bit and the jaw dropped right down. I'll have to watch these targets as they will probably bend back and clearance for the jaw is minimal.

I'm going to try and move the targets forward - jaw won't open again.

#19629 1 year ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Should not need anything to protect the screen.
If you are concerned with protecting the edge of the wood pf around the screen, then I would just ensure you set the screen perfectly level, ensure the screws have a dam of locktite to keep them in place, and that should be it.
I supposed you could use mylar on the edge to smooth/protect the ball transition, but I dont think it is needed???
Our game on route has had not issue or need for mylar at that spot since I made sure the screws were set to hold the screen at level.

Awesome - thanks

1 week later
#19707 1 year ago

All I know is break out the tools after you unbox your games. Love the game, but holy sh!t - lots of tweaking right out of the box to get it to work correctly - I'm still not 100% there....There is absolutely no way they set this up and tested it...

If you are not comfortable fixing your own games - Then Alien in it's current state probably isn't for you.

#19711 1 year ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I only had to anj the ball shooter to get it to launch perfectly and get a few LEDs to work by playing with connectors and that is it,less than most stern,jjp spooky ect,in my experience

I've had the ball launch, targets blocking zeno mouth (still haven't got this one completely), one switch had to swap connectors, extra parts (I think) laying on the pf, adjust the trough eject and launch power settings, now the scoop isn't detecting balls. I don't even want to put the glass on anymore until it works 100% for a while - it is a total pain to take off.

1 week later
#19897 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Do you think you need to do anything to prep that scoop a little better? It looks rough in there and wondering if that could scratch/pit the balls quickly?

Send it to Kerry at Mantis - he'll make all of us a good one. And you will get one free!

#19969 1 year ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

The only way they gain people's trust is to not just get all the Alien games and refunds due to people ASAP, show much better support for FT and Alien, provide schematics / owner's manuals, and start shipping Alien in quantity with quality. Then when game 3 is ready don't announce it or release it until you are ready to start shipping them, no pre-orders, no six month or more waiting period.

And maybe test the games before shipping?

#19993 1 year ago

Finally took some time to get out the tools and work on this b!itch -
#1 trough not detecting balls correctly - removed and reseated connectors - fixed for now
#2 mode start trough not detecting balls correctly - had to custom bend the switch wireform to allow switch to open when trough is empty - seems to work now
#3 Xenomorph targets - after removing some of the material on the left brace that was good - right target had to move forward and then bend the brace back to allow enough clearance to allow the switch to work and the mouth to open. Tight tolerance there, but working now.
#4 Ball launch still having issues - planning on making a custom wedge to align the shooter - still open.

New issue - mode kickout seems not very smooth - looks like it hits the lip of the wood hole in the front. Will have to figure out how to tweak the unit.

At least I can play a friggin game at this point. And to be clear - I love the game, but it was f'd up big time when I got it.

Scott

#20025 1 year ago
Quoted from tdiddy:

Can anyone confirm thst this coil is wired properly

Same as mine

3 weeks later
#20299 1 year ago

Anyone want a set of pin stadium lighting for alien? I have a set still boxed up I'm not going to use with gi plug-in and UV glow flasher options $235 shipped.

Scott

#20332 1 year ago

After multiple attempts to dial in the auto shooter - still no luck. Still can't play a single f*ing game without it not making it up the ramp. Guess it's time to try and see if support can help. Now I'm not sure if it is the coil or what...

#20336 1 year ago

That is what I tried yesterday and today (see pics). I can get it to work testing before I start a game 10/10 times by placing the ball in the shooter lane, but when I play a game it works maybe 50 - 60%.

IMG_6719 (resized).JPG

IMG_6720 (resized).JPG

#20341 1 year ago
Quoted from maximum:

I had a similar situation. The ball launcher was not able to shoot the ball out. Finally everything runs smoothly since I had adjusted the protective plate. Hope this helps.
Markus

Exactly what I finally tried - took off the protector and now it works 98% of the time. I'll realign the protector and re-install. Finally I can play through a few multiballs!

#20355 1 year ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Holy Chr!st. Can't even get the ball out of the shooter lane
QSS

Boy is that familiar....

#20358 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Sorry to say this will probably happen more and more for the Average Knowledge pinball guy who can't be constantly fixing these prototype machines.

Just for the record - I had all kinds of problems, but once they were fixed they are fixed. It just took a bunch of my time to creatively fix problems that shouldn't have been there in the first place. So far I haven't had any new problems crop up.

1 week later
#20413 1 year ago
Quoted from delt31:

Looks great. Alien is the only game where I find an external sub is not necessary. That's how powerful the provided equipment is in this pin.

Have you tried an external sub - It makes a huge difference and I'd never go back.

#20416 1 year ago

That sub is better than any stern stock, but it's still only a $20 part - no comparison to an external.
https://www.parts-express.com/lanzar-maxp64-65-600-watt-subwoofer--292-2590

3 weeks later
#20639 1 year ago

Anybody else have random flipper power loss during a game? Just happens to one flipper and usually returns the next ball.

#20711 1 year ago
Quoted from Ilushka85:

All i can say is aside from marks on my glass... my alien works perfectly... and its one of my favorites. But their support does not respond ever.

I got an instant reply from Brian on my flipper issue without even contacting the company. Also had a pretty quick response from Helmut when I was trying to figure out my launch issue.

#20825 1 year ago

I'm interested in approx how many are in the US right now...

#20922 1 year ago

Looks like it's time to do inhouse welding for my broken wireform...

Ferret - how about that new code!

#20986 1 year ago

Anyone who wants an alien next to their magic girl, I'll let mine go for 12.5K

#20988 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Yeah, it's easy for some of us to get caught up in the drama and overlook the good people that are really effected and hurt in all of this.
My sincere condolences to everyone taking a hit here.

I agree - really hate the way all this went down. Seemed like it was turning around when I picked one up...

1 month later
#22412 11 months ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

the sound on this game is awesome. but i have an extra polk sub. what is the safest way to hook it up. i know on stems you can just alligator clip on the existing sub. i know some say that could potentially put too much strain on the sound board. a friend blew his on a Met pro and the only thing we can of is the sub did it
anyone add a sub to their Alien?

I just took the internal sub out and ran extension wires to the external.

3 weeks later
#22669 11 months ago

Thought I might as well post it here - got the other threads covered. Alien and full throttle software updates can be found here:

http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html
http://weirpinball.com/full%20throttle/fullthrottle.html

Scott

#22717 11 months ago

First Boutique pinball I actually bought into (after they were in production). After playing for the first time at the Cleveland show, I thought - I have to own this pin. Finally picked one up when Cointaker had a few in stock months later. Had it's issues, but this is still one of my favorites. Too bad the production stopped, I can't seem to hang onto games that are worth quite a bit - prices are getting tempting enough to possibly jump out.

Ferret and the rest of the team - Great game that is very addicting to play. Thanks to all, I consider myself lucky to have owned one.

Scott

1 week later
#22816 10 months ago

I don't think protectors are the answer here - they won't fit with the plastics. We need a new plastic set as well

#22828 10 months ago

Mine is just a rubber with a magnet in it. Just move the magnet closer to the end

#22851 10 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Has anybody had a chance to hook up an external sub? I got that polk audio 10" from Amazon for like 99.00. I think I just wire it to the leads on the existing woofer in the cabinet, + / -.. and let the power to the sub take care of the rest

Yes - I put extension wire on the existing leads and ran it out the bottom screen - sounds amazing.

3 weeks later
#23027 9 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Replacement LEDs are now listed in my Pinside Shop..
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1023-redshiftled/01897-alien-replacement-mini-led-board-multi-pack-8-or-64
$1.50 each in an 8 pack,
$1.10 each in a 64 panel,
Ships for $6 globally .
FYI for you Aussie guys..that shop is priced in USD.

I will start putting some together for the folks who can't solder or just don't want to in the states. I'll post when I have some ready to go.

#23069 9 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Here's an application note regarding the soldering of the headers.
Warning - these PCBs are thinner than you are used to. They are 1mm, not the usual 1.6mm.
Don't be using your nice chisel tip. The heat will go straight through the board and melt the plastic on the header. Ask me how I know..
Use a conical sharp, or better yet, micro fine and target the pin and the plating on the hole. Everything is great if you use the right tip.

Thanks for the tip - I never use a chisel tip, and always use my Weller temp controlled iron - been doing this for over 10 years now. I'll turn down the temp a bit and see what works best.

#23080 9 months ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Make sure the jaw isn't physically stuck on the backs of the center standup targets.

This was my problem initially - you can potentially burn out the motor if this is the case. So I would recommend checking if it clears the targets asap.

#23106 9 months ago

Mine has 5 holes

IMG_7770 (resized).JPG
2 weeks later
#23251 8 months ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Did you check that the jaw isn't hitting the targets?

Make sure this isn't happening - or you need to fix it quick.

#23316 8 months ago

I'm in for a few sets of plastics

2 weeks later
#23415 7 months ago
Quoted from Frli002:

Sound like you have one of the previous games. The new games have super good launcher, i have mine on the lowest.

Actually sounds like a mechanical problem that a lot of us had. Look back for ajusting the launch coil and possibly the non-cliffy protector.

#23451 7 months ago
Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Hey thanks for the reply!
I dont think the coil is binding feels free to me. I will check when I get home to make sure its striking the middle of the ball. If not maybe I should try that washer fix that someone else mentioned? I hope its that easy because I dont want to get into removing boards and stuff!
Mo

You are having the same problem that many of us had - you need to adjust the angle of the plunger and/or ajust the "cliffy" protector it may be causing the ball to go off center when launched.

2 weeks later
#23553 7 months ago

I have 2 replacement computers completely configured for sale - with memory and ssd and software loaded. Plug an play for spare or repair. Will have more stuff in the near future.

Scott

one left

#23557 7 months ago
Quoted from Ballypinball:

I have sensors, io boards, xeno mechs, facehuggers etc

I have spare pf led screens and face huggers and 2 pr of sling lamp replacements. Soon single/multiple LEDs as I get time to solder a few....

#23573 6 months ago

Still have the following alien parts:

4 face huggers
2 sets sling replacement leds
1 replacement led screen for the pf - sold
1 replacement ssd drives pre-loaded with software
1 replacement memory stick for original computer

#23575 6 months ago
Quoted from pinghetto:

I've tried to sift through a bunch of these posts, but didn't come across anything...
Has anyone had trouble with the coil brackets for the flippers breaking (where the stop screws on)?
I had a friend that operated his for a month or so and the upper right one broke. He ended up welding it.
I see that the Free Play site now has complete assemblies for $80 a piece. But, shipping is a killer.
If they seem to be problematic, I might get a left and a right for spares. Especially since it is such a different style mech than anything else.
Thanks for any advice.
Brian

try pbr

2 weeks later
#23604 6 months ago

Anyone know the pinout of the individual leds for Alien? I would like to try and build a test rig. Soldering them is definitely a PITA

#23612 6 months ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

You want me to send you some blanks? This is what I do..
Take a few rows of blanks
]

Very clever, I'll see what I can do. So far 1 at a time - thx for the help

2 weeks later
#23683 5 months ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I think the playfield glass is the most prominent example of over engineering.

Funny thing is they copied the old 70s Fireball design which sucked and they stopped making them that way.

1 week later
#23696 5 months ago

If anyone wants to get on the list for a new/replacement computer for alien (drop right in includes memory and ssd loaded with software), let me know. I'd like to get another 3-4 people to make the order so I can turn them for $375 each again.

Scott

#23698 5 months ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelb:

Hey Scott. What's the reasoning for the new/replacement computer? Is it preventative and to have a back up "just in case" or has there been cases of an original computer crashing?
I might be interested in getting one.
QSS

Mainly backup, I've know of a few ssd's that lost the image, but that is recoverable. Main thing is to have a spare that can be dropped in if anything ever happens to the cpu - look at how much pin2K motherboards go for now....

#23702 5 months ago
Quoted from onedeath:

I'm in for a spare computer. Getting close to having a spare or more for everything.

Got enough interest I'll start ordering the parts

2 weeks later
#23765 4 months ago

All out of spare alien computers, but have 5 replacement ssds pre-loaded with software.

#23766 4 months ago

Got another request for spare computers - If I can get 3 more commitments, then I have enough to purchase another batch to build.

Scott

3 weeks later
#23812 3 months ago

Just completed loading up the software on 6 more computers. Get 'em while they are hot!

1 week later
#23838 3 months ago
Quoted from Durzel:

$750 shipped does not sound unreasonable to me, compared to other playfield prices?

Exactly - seems like current pricing to me.

1 week later
#23891 3 months ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Well after moving in and out 18 machines over the years, I've finally found that Alien is special enough that I want to keep for the long haul... so prepared I am just in case....many backup parts and playfield just arrived! This Alien community it's just awesome with all the help and thank you all!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Very smart idea - those parts are gold if anything goes wrong.

#23953 3 months ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I contacted the seller at Alibaba and they came back to me with an offer on "WKM-D2E4P".
I asked them and apparently, "HP-D2E4P-4C is same as WKM-D2E4P".
Just checking, anyone know if this is the case?
Also I think that only 4 GB RAM was needed with the mobo

I know 4GB is the way it came

1 week later
#23984 82 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Managed to get the Alien spare computer booting. Mobo with ram and ssd was from Alibaba. Thanks for Weir Pinball for the excellent guide!
In the display there is some vertical bar in the right edge of the picture, but I guess this is normal when using a standard PC display?

I always got the same bar when using an ordinary monitor

2 weeks later
#24111 66 days ago
Quoted from delt31:

After almost not making it through the Canadian border, Alien is due to arrive on Thursday!

Just in time to flip it for $20K!

#24131 65 days ago

Been getting some more inquiries about another run of replacement/spare computers - if there are about 5 buyers - I'll get cranking one one more run.

Scott

#24169 63 days ago
Quoted from Per_:

If you like the Alien you should really try the Hobbit. Like with the Alien, you work through exiting movie scenes - but there are many more scenes and 5 (!) master modes. The gameplay-film sequence integration is fantastic and multimedia experience is unreached (sounds and music again arranged by David Thiel). It might not be as scary as the Alien but fighting against monsters, wargs and the dragon is also very intensive...

not even close - hobbit pales in comparison

#24257 59 days ago
Quoted from PinDoctor82:

My must-have pinball lineup will be complete once I finalize the deal and get it here...no more pins for a bit (I hope).

Never say "never" or "final" - just not in our vocabulary

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Edmonton, AB

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider weirpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside