DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider webdiddy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#23834 5 years ago

Hey guys!

Got my Alien SE today, it's running the latest firmware (1.2) with updated IO boards.
I am having a problem though (shocking right). Most of the time when hitting the pops it seams like all the coils are turning of (or maybe just the flippers) making the ball drain, they start working again the next ball, until I hit the pops again. I tried pushing all the connectors under the playfield with no success.

#23841 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Usually this is due to poor usb connectivity. The game shipped with literally the worlds cheapest cables. Consider replacing them with nicer cables that have ferrite core/chokes to help reduce chatter/noise interference.

Okay, how do I know the cables I'm about to buy is higher quality? And should I replace cables for all 4 IO boards?
Also, it's my pops that's giving me most trouble, they now also activate by them selves sometimes. What IO board controls the pops?

#23844 5 years ago

This jaw not sounding right is it?
Also the static from the speakers stop when I wiggle the jaw.

#23847 5 years ago

I decided to spruce up my xeno head a little.

20190228_091458 (resized).jpg20190228_091458 (resized).jpg20190228_091505 (resized).jpg20190228_091505 (resized).jpg
#23848 5 years ago

Anyone have any advice on how to get the Xeon mouth closed like in this picture when in "resting" mode?
The mouth on my Xeno needs to be almost all the way open all the time, if not it will not work properly and get stuck when opening/closing.

alien_closed_mouth (resized).jpgalien_closed_mouth (resized).jpg
#23853 5 years ago
Quoted from mavantix:

Remove the mech from the game, and adjust the servo arm on the bottom? Make sure the wire connecting to the jaw isn't binding. It's possible the servo is bad or the screw holding the arm is loose. The servo can be replaced with a more reliable one too. It's a bit of work removing the parts and wires, but definitely doable.

Thank you. I've been fiddeling with the servo like crazy but I can’t get to work better than it is right now. The problem is that I dont even know what the original angle of the arm is supposed to be. Any advice for a replacement servo?

#23860 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thank you. I've been fiddeling with the servo like crazy but I can’t get to work better than it is right now. The problem is that I dont even know what the original angle of the arm is supposed to be. Any advice for a replacement servo?

Okay, so I got hold of a replacement servo, replaced the broken one and now everything is working as it should.

#23862 5 years ago

I was thinking about doing a small light mod, I have a strip of addressable leds I had for min pinduino, I was thinking about tying it in with a portion of the GI.
Anyone have a tip on how to do that? I am so nervous tinkering with this pin due to the fact of getting new spare parts is hardly an easy task.

Any help would be awesome!

#23865 5 years ago
Quoted from Per_:

The Alien WS2812 color LEDs recieve their color data as serial data packages sent over a single wire (serial bus). You can connect additional WS2812 LEDs in parallel, they will show the same color (as TimeBandit did with the sling shot update). But you can neither connect other LED types nor LED strips in this way.
But you can use a microcontroller like the Arduino to determine the color of a selected Alien LED and to trigger your LED strip to show some related color(s). To know the Alien LED color you can either analyse the color data on the serial bus or use a color sensor. As the first option is more complex and implies connections to the Alien hardware I would start with the second option. Color sensors are inexpensive, can be placed anywhere in the pin and there are many tutorials fitting to your use-case. Here is an example: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-color-sensors.

Great info! Thank you!

#23866 5 years ago

I am trying to hook up an WS2812B LED strip, anyone know if I can use any of the connectors pictured below?
LED CHAIN OUT 2B

20190304_113312~2 (resized).jpg20190304_113312~2 (resized).jpg

20190304_114928_HDR (resized).jpg20190304_114928_HDR (resized).jpg
#23867 5 years ago

Am I the only one who is not a big fan of the "scream again" ball save sound?
I think it sounds like a wookie from star wars and thats the completely wrong franchise.
I wish there was either a human or a xeno screaming instead, the rest of the sounds are great but the "wookie" scream takes me out of the immersion a bit.

#23869 5 years ago

The video media and sound files are all on the PC filesystem, you can easily change them.

Okay. I might just do that.

#23870 5 years ago

So I am now having trouble with a bunch of lights.
Som times som are stuck on in one color, others can be off at the same time.
See images from the test mode below to see witch lights are affected.

20190305_135810 (resized).jpg20190305_135810 (resized).jpg20190305_135814 (resized).jpg20190305_135814 (resized).jpg20190305_135819 (resized).jpg20190305_135819 (resized).jpg20190305_135821 (resized).jpg20190305_135821 (resized).jpg20190305_135825 (resized).jpg20190305_135825 (resized).jpg20190305_135829 (resized).jpg20190305_135829 (resized).jpg20190305_135833 (resized).jpg20190305_135833 (resized).jpg20190305_135806 (resized).jpg20190305_135806 (resized).jpg20190305_135838 (resized).jpg20190305_135838 (resized).jpg20190305_135843 (resized).jpg20190305_135843 (resized).jpg
#23872 5 years ago

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Heighway_Pinball_Repair#Alien
The Lamp ID is based on the following sequence [IO Board #-Chain, Lamp ID]. Translated, 1-A1 would be IO Board #1, Chain A, Lamp 1. One thing to note is that these lamps are serially addressed, which means that if one LED fails or is missing, all following LED's in that chain will not work correctly (locked on, off, flashing, etc.)
Find the earliest Trouble LED in the chain and try and reseat it slightly. You may need to reflow the solder underneath as early PCB traces are weak. Do this as a last resort.

Thank you!

It turned out to be the usb cable going to I/O bord 2, the reason I didn't test the usb cable before posting is because this was one of the cables I replaced.

#23873 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Thank you!
It turned out to be the usb cable going to I/O bord 2, the reason I didn't test the usb cable before posting is because this was one of the cables I replaced.

Scratch, that, not sure it's the cable, the same problem is back with the (new) replacement cable.

#23875 5 years ago

In your case I would slightly tweak/reseat" 2-C8 Left Orbit Lower", and "2-C1 GI Right Orbit Lower" you can sometimes do it without loosening the screws for the large PCB board, but in most cases you have to take a few out to slightly lift the board away from the playfield.

Thank you, I'll give it a go.

#23876 5 years ago

I have another problem.
During normal ball play the through just starts kicking out new balls, it continues to do so for a while, everything else (flippers/lights) looks like it's working as it should during this (except the light that are out due to a different problem..

Any clue on what could be causing this?

#23878 5 years ago

In your case I would slightly tweak/reseat" 2-C8 Left Orbit Lower", and "2-C1 GI Right Orbit Lower" you can sometimes do it without loosening the screws for the large PCB board, but in most cases you have to take a few out to slightly lift the board away from the playfield.

Also worth mentioning is that all the lights I'm having trouble with are working correctly right after a reboot. They blink a change color for about 20 seconds then they freeze up or stop working.

#23879 5 years ago

To fix the lights I have tried the following.
1. reseated some of the lights including 2-c8 & 2-c1.
2. Replaced the I/O board usb cable.
3. Tried a new usb port on the CPU.
4. Swapped I/O board.

Nothing have helped.

#23882 5 years ago
Quoted from Pale_Purple:

Is the ball save on so it just keeps kicking out balls?

Nope, it's not the ballsave.

#23883 5 years ago

The picture you posted before. Did you plug something into that LED_Chain_Out-2A socket? That could be the source of your issue.
If you take out the lights that are causing an issue and plug it into one of the little green free standing boards in the GI, does the bulb work as expected? I would keep testing individual potentially problem bulbs like this until you find the culprit. You may need to reflow solder on the LED or find a replacement. You can move problem bulbs to the end of the chain for the time being to minimize the impact.

No, I did not plug in any extra LEDs.
I have two extra LEDs I can use, I tried swapping out one of them (2-C8 Left Orbit Lower) with no change. The light is still stuck.

#23884 5 years ago

Hurray!

I finally got my LED problem sorted.
I started going through the problematic LEDs one by one testing them one by one on one of the little green free standing boards in the GI like @knockerlover suggested. Luckily I only had to test three LEDs until I found the culprit. The faulty LED was stuck at white light only, I replaced it with a spare one and BAM, everything is back to normal

BIG thanks to @knockerlover for helping me to sort it out!

#23885 5 years ago

At the moment all that's left to fix on my game is the random way it starts kicking out balls during normal play.
I have replaced all the USB cables with shielded cables.
I have routed the USB cables to the left side away from the larger cables.
I have rotated I/O boards.
I have checked the balls for magnetism.
I have cleaned the optos on the through.
I have reseated all the connectors on the through.

#23886 5 years ago

I have no also taken out the through emitter board and reflowed solder on all solder points, I am still getting the same problem.
What I did notice (maybe) is that the through kicks out balls until it has cleared all 6 balls, I am not sure about this, I need to test this some more.

#23888 5 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

Have you tested each trough switch individually in test mode? It sounds like they are reading active all the time, so the game thinks the ball ejects are not working.

Yes, I have tested each trough switch individually in test mode and they are all behaving as they should.

#23892 5 years ago

Usually it does this if it detects a jam.. the higher LED. [quoted image]

Yes, I see, but that opto looks like it's working as it should.

#23893 5 years ago
Quoted from webdiddy:

Yes, I see, but that opto looks like it's working as it should.

One thing I was thinking was that maybe I need the angle the ball through a little using washers.

#23895 5 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

Perhaps the balls are magnetized and sticking together in the trough.

That was one of the things I was suspecting so I took a little paperclip to each ball, even though some of them was a tiny bit magnetically charged it was not enough to hold the paperclip.

#23900 5 years ago

Just before the pin starts kicking out balls the shooter lane coil misfires with no ball in the shooter lane, then it starts kicking out balls.
Could this just be something simple as a shooter lane switch adjustment? Should I make the switch less sensitive by bending it down?
What I am guessing is that the shooter lane switch gets falsely triggered by maybe vibrations?

#23901 5 years ago

I tried adding some spacers to the back of the trough, I thought that maybe the balls where being pushed too far near the trough jam switch and activating it, it didn't help.

#23908 5 years ago

So I was adjusting one of the switches in my left sling as it was stuck on.
Doing that with the game on was not a smart idea, I managed to short the LED behind the switch.
It's not totally dead, it's more like mortally wounded, shining the wrong colors and blinks a lot.
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement? Freeplay don't seem to have them in stock.

Kinda idiotic to leave the LED board exposed like that, just a matter of time before they get shorted just from balls hitting the switch and pushing it back into the LED.

#23910 5 years ago

timebandit makes a replacement that is even better than the original. It has two LEDs around that are mounted so they aren’t behind the rubber or switch blade. It’s much better and brighter.

Thanks, I'll contact him.

#23911 5 years ago

Bought me a little chest buster figure.
After repainting it, it mounts perfectly over the chestbuster lane.
20190308_125131 (resized).jpg20190308_125131 (resized).jpg20190308_130731 (resized).jpg20190308_130731 (resized).jpg20190308_131215 (resized).jpg20190308_131215 (resized).jpg

#23912 5 years ago

Here's my other figure mods I posted in another thread.

20190303_110216 (resized).jpg20190303_110216 (resized).jpg20190303_110116 (resized).jpg20190303_110116 (resized).jpg20190303_110139 (resized).jpg20190303_110139 (resized).jpg
#23915 5 years ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Thanks to you, I was FINALLY able to find these Alien mods. I ordered the APC, the chestburster and the mother alien as well. I already had the die cast version of the landing ship and placed it at the same spot. These mods look highly detailed. The APC would look perfect over the APC targets, giving you an idea what to shoot at. The mother Alien obviously has to be by the eggs guarding them (just like in the movie) and I can't decide where I'm going to place the chest burster yet once I get them in the mail. (overseas shipping, ugh)
Had to get the chest burster since it's the only stage in the birth of the Alien that is not represented in a toy figure. (egg, facehugger, chest burster, alien). Can you send a pic of your Alien playfield with all of the mods installed showing the whole playfield?
We modders have to stick together.

Yes. I think these figures are perfect for the pin.
I will take a picture of the whole play field tonight.

Quoted from Indypin:

One last question. Did you place the figures on some plastic plates and then onto the playfield? You made yours look professionally installed.

Yes. I cut small acrylic stans for the figures and drilled holes where they needed, I then hot glued the figures to the stand.

When you get you figures remember to use some glue on every piece during the assembly, especially on the Queen figure as it includes many tiny pieces.

#23917 5 years ago

Here you go fella.

20190308_192130.jpg20190308_192130.jpg
#23924 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Red screen is typically the connection, btw, especially if it returns to normal. After a long night of playing, all the vibration probably exposed it.
I'd unplug the cables(both ends) and reseat..

Is this the kind of screen we are talking about? I get that too from time to time.
The pictures are of the screen turning green, I've had mine turn red also though.

20190307_151104 (resized).jpg20190307_151104 (resized).jpg20190307_151241 (resized).jpg20190307_151241 (resized).jpg

#23925 5 years ago

I have cooling fans in my cabinet also, I plug them right in to the computer motherboard.
One fan to blow air over the motherboard/cpu one fan to blow on the power supplies and one fan in the back to suck air in and another one to blow air out.
I can take a picture later today.

#23928 5 years ago

Is your Alien pin suffering from face huggers with broken tails?

Here’s a pro tip that worked for me.
Use some E6000 to glue them make sure you get some extra glue out over the tail to add some more support, let the glue set overnight. I've done this to both my face huggers and they look like new, I have played att bunch of games with no issues since gluing them.

https://www.amazon.com/E6000-237032-Craft-Adhesive-Clear/dp/B004BPHQWU
81Zi2iEAVEL._SY879_ (resized).jpg81Zi2iEAVEL._SY879_ (resized).jpg

#23943 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Appreciate the kind words guys!
So what is up with the free play website? Do they have the original specs and reproducing all of this stuff or did they came across extra stock and selling out so once it's gone, it's gone for good? Website says they will notify when back in so to me it sounds like they're mass producing which would be amazing.

The owner of freeplays.se is one of the investors, that should clear some things up.

#23961 5 years ago

Please excuse my ignorance but did Alien ever offer physical ball lock? If so why was it removed and can it be added back in a home "rom"?

#23978 5 years ago

I have a question about the derelict ship mode.
Are the posts in the orbits supposed to be activated when shooting up the orbits?
Mine does not activate in derelict ship mode, it's kinda hard hitting the pops without the help from the posts

Also.... if anyone got a tip on how to hit the hypersleep lock ramp a little more accurate I would appreciate the help, feels like I will never get to see the hypersleep multiball.

#23980 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The "explore" orbit (I believe its arrow will be blue) should divert the ball into the pops. The "boost" orbit (green) increases pop value and adds time, but does not divert to the pops. The colors alternate after each orbit shot. Instructions on the screen should remind you which is which.

Thanks man!

I obviously need to pay more attention to the screen

1 week later
#24015 5 years ago

Just a quick question guys!
Maybe I should start my own thread for this question but I'll give it a go here anyway.
Due to some financial troubles, I might have to sell my SE machine including the beacons topper.
Here in Sweden this pin goes for about $7600US but I have noticed it's valued much higher in the states and I need every buck I can get.

My question is, is shipping the pin to USA even an option?
Here in Sweden, it's almost impossible to book shipping for something as large as a pin if you don't have your own company.
But is there a way for someone in USA to book the shipping for pickup here in Sweden?

Thanks.

#24020 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Lucky you owning a golden goose - Alien. There are international shipping companies who can do it once game is strapped to a pallet. Buyer would use one of these to provide shipping plus custom clearance and delivery service. Esimate of door to door service to US is $1.5k (my guess having done a similar shipping from Belgium once.

Great info, thank you! Maybe I should list it on the market place.

#24078 5 years ago
Quoted from noitbe1:

Is there a manual somewhere for the 1.2? To explain how to launch « all out war » for instance
Tks

Sadly no, no manual for this pin at all.

1 week later
#24259 5 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Forgot I finally got a few toys installed also
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hey man, stop copying me. Just kidding, glad I could indpire you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,799 (OBO)
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider webdiddy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=webdiddy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.