pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toppers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25942 4 years ago

I’m officially apart of the club! Just got an alien and I’m having problems with the APC drop targets. They are going up and down rapidly and aggressively. See video link. Thoughts?

#25944 4 years ago

Thanks for thoughts, Did you see the video? It looks like the coil sleeve is in a very odd spot. Like hanging down. I’ve never screen that before. Could that be the issue?

Quoted from Yelobird:

Would have to look at mine but in most stand up target games that usually means the coil is not pulling the targets high enough to lock position which makes them fall and keep resetting. Would start with the lift bracket under the stand up targets to see if its slightly bent.

#25946 4 years ago

So sounds to good to be true but I got this pin new in box. It’s never been tampered with. It’s looks so weird though... the coil sleeve. Could someone take a look and see if theirs is like that as well? I can’t imagine it was that screwed up from the factory. It also only started doing it after about 2 games. Or about 10 knock down cycles. I opened the game 2 days ago.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Good catch. Yes it appears either the previous owner put in the wrong length coil sleeve or put it in with the flange on the wrong side and it slid out. That would be the issue. As I said something is keeping the coil from Fully pulling the targets to lock position. Good luck.

#25948 4 years ago

Thank you. Such a great game thus far. However I’ve only got like 3 games in before something else goes wrong. This game makes setting up pirates jjp look like a walk in the park. Haha. But, I have hope! Already ordered some shielded usb cables too. I’m pumped to get it working well but also understanding that I purchased a know game that needs TLC from time to time.

Quoted from ChipScott:

Congrats on the new game!
Agree that the coil sleeves look to be in upside down, and thus they are falling/slipping down. I would disconnect the coils, take out the sleeves, put the sleeves back in so they're coming in from the top, reconnect the coils, test and report back.
I'll check my targets and their configuration tomorrow and take a pic if it's any different.

#25950 4 years ago

So I ended up purchasing audio quest shielded cables. While some
May say this is a waste of money @ $35 a cable I think it’s cheap insurance. Here is a cool report / comparison about 8 generic “shielded” cables. You can clearly see the difference in protection from interferences you discussed in your response. This is what ultimately led to my purchase decision.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/usb-cable-shield-resistance-technical-measurements.5662/

Quoted from razorsedge:

Remember when installing new USB cables, very important to execute good strain relief, retention, and cable management.
Secure cables just back from the connector, so that the connector can not come out, and in a way so that the connector is not under strain.
Also run cables, retained, and away from interference sources as much as possible.
Good example a little way back, where the USB cable running around the sound amplifier seemed to cause the game to malfunction.
*Also agree that the drop coil sleeve is installed backwards.

#25956 4 years ago

where did you get this from? Looks awesome! I only see them for sale on eBay for $1500!

Quoted from Oneangrymo:

Life size alien queen arrived intact . Wife going to love this one[quoted image]

1 week later
#26048 4 years ago

Congrats! So does this mean we can expect some awesome New mods for alien in the near future!

Quoted from Yelobird:

Sincerely appreciated. I will dive into it tonight and see if I can route stuff better and tighten it up. Or..... as usual I’ll just play some awesome Alien and worry about it some other day. Lol

#26049 4 years ago

Also, anyone have the issue with the ball ejecter being to strong? When the ball is ejected into the shooter lane it literally bounces off the wall and goes right back into the hole and then is ejected again. I’m get and over until 5-6 tries later. It’s especially noticeable during multiball. Should I bend the valve of the kick out? I’m on code 1.02 and I’m aware I need To update. I’m an you adjust coil strength in new code?

#26052 4 years ago

I assume that is with the new code. On 1.02 I have zero adjustability. The menu is pretty bare. Thanks! Anywhere specific I need to look in the menu?

Quoted from Ferret:

Yes, you can adjust the coil strength of every coil via adjustments. You can reduce the power of the Trough Release coil to help resolve this problem. Much easier and safer solution than bending any physical objects.

#26066 4 years ago

HA. Same here. I bent the arm and it seemed to help a lot. Mine was like 7-8 times once before it didn’t bounce back... I’m like annnnyyyyy minute now. Glad to hear I’m not the only one.

Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

I had this same problem on my game. It was relentless.
I installed a gate to keep the ball from bouncing back into the shooter lane and it works 99% of the time.
QSS

4 weeks later
#26212 4 years ago

I saw a recent post about a hypersleep chamber. I starting working on this Mod about a month ago with zero knowledge that someone else was. I plan to have interactive lights and a motorized hatch like the pirates chest. More updates to come. Quite ironic that someone else had a similar idea... Mine is quite different as you can see. I do plan on selling them. Like a motorized and non motorized version. Wasn’t trying to “steal anyone’s thunder” the mod is currently still in development stage but the final product will be hand painted. You can also see the ball travel in and out of the lock assembly. It’s see through.
09E35826-3624-49C5-8D8C-D864D53D27E4 (resized).jpeg09E35826-3624-49C5-8D8C-D864D53D27E4 (resized).jpeg

#26213 4 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

I saw a recent post about a hypersleep chamber. I starting working on this Mod about a month ago with zero knowledge that someone else was. I plan to have interactive lights and a motorized hatch like the pirates chest. More updates to come. Quite ironic that someone else had a similar idea... Mine is quite different as you can see. I do plan on selling them. Like a motorized and non motorized version. Wasn’t trying to “steal anyone’s thunder” the mod is currently still in development stage but the final product will be hand painted. You can also see the ball enter and exit the chamber as it’s see through in that area. [quoted image]

#26252 4 years ago

That plastic is removed for final install. The plastic actually is not lined up from the factory. I was just placing it on top for a quick photo.

Quoted from Faust:

I think this is a great design. The plastic under it that does not align fully, you can easily move a bit to the left and drill new holes, or leave it fully off. It doesnt fit anyway.
I'm in for one.

2 weeks later
#26419 4 years ago

Where did you get this? 3D print?

Quoted from ChipScott:

OK, so i was inspired by that open egg...so here's an idea that I had to try.
The pics don't do it full justice, and while it does obscure a portion of the right back wall picture, at the helm you can still see the LV lanes and the orbit nicely.
Hard to tell from these pics, but the contrast and placement of everything in this right back corner is better appreciated in person and in the dark with the game on it's scary looking and bad to the bone!
So try and burn those eggs!!!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

2 weeks later
#26536 4 years ago

Hyberberic Sleep Chamber Mod Update:

A few weeks back I posted a sneak peak pic of a motorized chamber I was working on similar to the pirates jjp mod that has been very successful. The mod replaced the factory 2D plastic piece and utilizes factory mounting points. As the video shows I have hit a dead end with the mod and need some help from the community. Currently I have it fully functioning with a servo and a battery but not integrated into the game which is the next step. Also to add LED lights.

Ideally I’d like the chamber to open up once the lock is lit lights up on the playfield. This game doesn’t use standard lights as we know so hooking up alligator clips to a light socket (original plan) is out the window...

I’m a maker by trade, I teach metal fabrication. But I’m not an electrician. I dabble but nothing like this before. I’d love to see if the community could help get this project finished. If so, I’d be interested in making a run of these if there is interest. I know 7 of you already messaged me with interest after just showing a teaser picture. The YouTube clip is linked. Thoughts? And as always, Thank you!

#26539 4 years ago

Here is the single hyperberic sleep chamber next to the triple in CAD

A2D15403-4449-4AA3-8C0A-B85A8367F2D2 (resized).jpegA2D15403-4449-4AA3-8C0A-B85A8367F2D2 (resized).jpeg
#26543 4 years ago

Where would the LDR go? Makes sense but how would it get the input. It’s a circuit board of lights. Also wouldn’t it pick up light from other lights?

Quoted from razorsedge:

If you want to mimic output of the "Lock" insert: Could be done with an optical gate (transistor) or a LDR (light dependant resistor) in a basic circuit. This would "detect" the light being on, providing a signal that can be used to control a relay (or similar) for any voltage supply you desire.
Actually... isn't there a kit in this thread already, for this actual purpose?
I'd be down for the 3 bed camber setup!

#26544 4 years ago

What if it was triggered by the coils? The apc coil kicks on when the drop target is complete. The coil only fires when all targets are completed which lites the lock and then the other coil that raises the plastic piece into position stop the ball could close the lid. How do those coils get told when to fire? Is it the middle wire? Signal wire? 5v? 12v? Is it just grounded? I know the flippers are 48v right?

#26552 4 years ago

That would be pretty awesome just need to get it working in the game first.

Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I could talk to Matt w Backalley creations to do a group paint job on the sleep chambers if y’all want?

7 months later
#28058 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

What happened with the hypersleep chamber mod? I remember seeing a prototype but not the final version.

I started Elite Pinball Toppers and got distracted :/ sorry guys! Just started tinkering with it again!

#28111 3 years ago

Well, I knew it was bound to happen. My alien has been problem free until tonight. All of a sudden all 3 displays are not working during game play. They all work during game boot up. Game plays just fine but all 3 screens are dark. Thoughts? Of course, I’m hosting my family for Christmas tomorrow and this happens...

#28113 3 years ago

Here is the pictures of it booting. All 3 monitors are working. Then as soon as GI comes on and game boots fully the monitors don’t work. Game is fully playable. I’m at a loss.

2FBA3054-B8A3-4AC0-9CFC-285EFEACF022 (resized).jpeg2FBA3054-B8A3-4AC0-9CFC-285EFEACF022 (resized).jpeg37A42D39-A859-4707-8245-B4A17D35D8BC (resized).jpeg37A42D39-A859-4707-8245-B4A17D35D8BC (resized).jpegF4BDCDF4-623E-4819-8576-A76A3A9C50C2 (resized).jpegF4BDCDF4-623E-4819-8576-A76A3A9C50C2 (resized).jpeg
#28115 3 years ago

How do you update code with no display? How do you access SSD? I’m running 1.3 code

Quoted from razorsedge:

1.4 code I have discovered still has alot of bugs, many visual display related. Many of these seem multiplayer related that might not have been picked up previously, and/or related to score display alterations.
Black screen with a running system though?? but all working in bootup...? ... might go as far as having to start anew putting the 1.2 image freshly onto the SSD. ?

#28116 3 years ago
Quoted from Toppers:

How do you update code with no display? I’m also running 1.3

#28119 3 years ago

This all seems fairly invasive. Willing to give it a shot, just don't want to make matters worse, Any other ideas to check first? I did notice that while playing it blind, some of the kick out coils were not firing when they should, mode timing was weird and what not. This leads me to believe its software related too. Just odd that it happened out of nowhere. Surely it could be something else.

#28122 3 years ago
Quoted from Llabnip1972:

Sorry. I hopped in without catching up. Seems like code updates is the topic of the evening. I'm finally considering updating since I got a very low number on the remake list. and now I'm just slightly less scared to monkey around with my original.

Personally my 1.2 worked great. Updates to 1.3 for about 4 months with no issues and then my issue above. So not to sure.

#28161 3 years ago

So I got it fixed. A full Re-image to 1.02 and then updated code to 1.2 and it’s back up and running. Really wasn’t too difficult. Followed the instructions at http://weirpinball.com/alien/alien.html
Thanks again for the help everyone!

Quoted from Toppers:

Here is the pictures of it booting. All 3 monitors are working. Then as soon as GI comes on and game boots fully the monitors don’t work. Game is fully playable. I’m at a loss.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toppers.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=toppers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.