DSCN7035 (resized).JPG
IMG_20240316_180704 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2206 8 years ago

That dude from FTWD is in it, with a buzz cut. Is his character any more likable?

1 year later
#14008 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

only game that flows better would be Full Throttle!
The geometry on Heighway games is 2 for 2 so far as the best flowing games ever built. They get the added benefit of no micoswitches or through holes in ball paths so the flow maintains speed. You dont realize the impact of microswitches till you play a Heighway pin with inductive switches and then you realize! WOW!!

That might be true. I've only played it once, and watched up close as a friend played it, both at Allentown. We both thought the flow was a little unusual in that no orbit shots returned to a flipper as far as our experience and recollection. Is that accurate? It's kind of weird that way.

11 months later
#21681 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Out of all of Andrew's stupid ideas I think this has to be the dumbest. It sounds neat for the first 10 seconds after you hear about it, and then logic starts to kick in and you realize just how fraught with issues the entire thing is. It was a huge stone around the neck of making games. I never liked it.

Aurich, did you have any other playfield art ideas that you can share now? Something you liked that Andrew or Fox didn’t go for? Just curious, after all that has come to light.

Speaking as someone with no stake - but a keen interest in the game - I thought the game had a lot going for it. Only played it once, at Allentown, and thought it was promising. I might have owned one someday.

Hats off to all the contributors. You deserve better.

2 weeks later
#22115 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably the last big hit in the States for Queen was "Under Pressure".
America was(is) crazy homophobic and when Mercury was vacuuming in drag in those videos, their popularity tanked.

Three more:

Crazy Little Thing Called Love
I’m in Love With My Car (my personal favorite)
Another One Bites The Dust

Queen is, by most measures, a better choice for a musical pin than ANYTHING Stern has ever done.

And Vid, every heavy metal hair rocker looks and acts more gay than Freddie ever did. They just didn’t have the guts to walk the talk! And Freddie sang better too. Way better.

#22116 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I have to state this, if you can't name 3 Iron Maiden songs I really hope ur not wearing that as a badge of honour because its much more a case that you should feel foolish and have realized that most likely you enjoy crap music or ur an old geezer and then I'll give you a pass.

Or melody, harmony and talent just mean something to some people.

Quoted from vid1900:

If anyone can't name 3 Iron Maiden songs, then you know they were home-schooled and their mom would not allow it......or they grew up listening to Michael Jackson
"Dude, who would win in a fight, Michael Jackson or Prince ????"

And metal bands are so macho? And yes, MJ and Prince are better than Iron Maiden. On just about every measurable level. Unless you don’t appreciate melody, harmony or talent.

#22117 5 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I can name a few of their songs, not a big fan of their music but like some songs. But their album artwork is iconic and deserves a place on my wall.

Nice. Who are the girls on the Poison album? They look too pretty to be groupies.

#22118 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Has this been posted already? Playboy.
I was going to say the game is a bit stop and go but decided it must be world's first stop and come game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=43&v=xAfVUHro3sQ

It actually doesn’t suck. Good layout, even if you don’t appreciate the theme. Better than the two previous Playboys.

I think there’s some misplaced outrage here too, re: theme. Playboy is an antiquated brand to be sure, but subject matter wise, there’s potential here for a niche pin.

#22126 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

This entire statement is highly laughable. yeah the glam metal guys looked like woman no argument there but thats a small piece of the metal puzzle and it vanished pretty quickly. Queen is a good band and Freddy was a fantastic singer and front man, I hope you guys who want this theme get it but please don't talk foolish.

Welp, what’s your measure then? Queen has sold more than 200 million records, and basically stopped making them 30 years ago. Of Stern music pins, only ACDC is close in album sales, and they still trail Queen.

Queen has had multiple #1 hits and albums, and yes, in the USA too. For a brief time, Queen was arguably the biggest and most successful band in the world.

Queen has played to some of the largest crowds in concert history, and was heralded for one of the best festival performances in rock history.

Queen has had at least TWO iconic songs that people of all ages all around the world know: Bohemian Rhapsody and We are the Champions/We Will Rock You. We are the Champions has been used regularly in stadiums and on TV as the anthem to celebrate the victors in major sporting events. For decades.

Most people can name at least 3 Queen songs.

So yeah, Queen is a “good band”. Lulz.

#22134 5 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

"Hmm...what do I want to do today? I KNOW! I'll get on a pinball website and flex my keyboard in an internet fight about old music bands."

WTF are you going on about? Queen was the next Heighweigh title. It’s being discussed, and some ignorant person was suggesting that Queen was some fringe band.

Quoted from RTS:

I personally don't measure how good a band is by their ability to appeal to the lowest common denominator to generate sales.

Now this is funny. Queen’s pioneering operatic approach to rock, arguably unique to industry, is a “lowest common denominator” approach? That they ultimately got VERY popular and catered to that somewhat is a badge of dishonor?

How do you measure good bands then? # of albums released that most music lovers have never heard of? How many members the band can cycle - and recycle through? Album art?

Do tell.

BTW, I think I only own one Queen album. Not close to being my favorite group but have always liked their music. I just don’t like seeing ignorant takes being perpetuated as fact.

#22136 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Quality of band = irrelevant to pinball.
"AC/DC is trailer trash music... OH MUH GAWD THE RULES!"
"Metallic sucks and killed Napster OH MUH GAWD LOOK AT THE ART!"
"Aerosmith sucks... OH MUH GAWD LOOK AT THE ART!"
"Iron Maiden sucks... OH MUH GAWD LOOK AT THE ART!"

I really like every one of these games. Because at the end of the day, they’re all really fun to play.

#22161 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

most people can probably name 3 Nicki Minaj or Taylor Swift songs thusly most people are douchebags and I'm sure a few of the terrible pop artists today play to big crowds and sell plenty of records. I'm with ya that a Queen pin would sell, its not for me but niether were AC/DC, Aerosmith or Metallica and while I love the 1st 5 Iron Maiden albums what I wouldn't be able to do is name 3 songs from them past Powerslave. I get it but to insinuate that Maiden lacks melody, harmony and talent is where I have the problem and is that what really makes for good music, sometimes yeah but sometimes simplicity and raw talent can have the same power that highly technical music delivers. Like super deep rulesets in pinball and simple fast fun rulesets I'm glad theres both.

I was being unfair to Iron Maiden with my flippant comment. Of course they have talent. Vid saying MJ didn’t must have still been on my mind.

I do have some trouble with metal though, in terms of harmony and melody. I just don’t hear it enough in general in the modern metal I’ve heard or its numerous offshoots. I have heard metal that I’ve enjoyed, it’s just not something I’ve ever gravitated to.

I think the music I’ve heard in the Iron Maiden pin is fine. Good pinball music. Maybe I’ll give Iron Maiden’s music a closer listen. I like Black Sabbath and Deep Purple. That’s the classic heavy metal, right?

#22162 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

If I were to do a music or band-themed game from scratch of my own choice, if I had the freedom to I certainly wouldn't rely solely on the music to illustrate the gameplay; I'd use it as the starting point for a tangential theme related to the band, and the iconography and imagination associated with that. I personally wouldn't do 'Beatles' per se, I'd do Yellow Submarine.

Yellow submarine doesn’t work for me. But a *mostly* black and white line art Revolver pin, with some bursts of psychedelia mixed in, would big time.

I disagree with Ben. So many good options for tunes in a Beatles pin. Unfortunately they probably wouldn’t use Helter Skelter, which would be over the top awesome.

Dave, loved your interview with Voldemort. Interesting stories, good insights, well spoken (you, not him). Could have listened to you talk on anything for another hour, easy.

#22165 5 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Im unstable in a club on my third martini using a tiny and blurry keyboard.
Could someone please Google Voldemort for me.

Seriously Kim? Come on! He’s the evil wizard in Harry Potter that’s supposedly dead, but is he? Good wizards won’t say his name aloud, lest he hear them or they conjure him up. So he’s literally called “He who shall not be named”. Kinda like our friend Special K with regard to pinside.

#22166 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Yellow Submarine would be a movie license, a piece of pop art and pop culture, a decent slice of the Revolver / Sergeant Pepper / Magical Mystery Tour song catalogue, and you could pull off some marvellous and original things with toys and features. What's not to appreciate?

Dave, you’re up late!

I just don’t dig the movie Yellow Submarine at all. It bores me, and the art is so cheesy IMO. It just doesn’t say “Beatles” to me. It’s like the art you’d see on the children’s show Zoom, or the Electric Company back in the early 70’s. It just feels like low grade psychedelia to me. Not the real thing. Plus the soundtrack is really weak, with the exception of Hey Bulldog, that totally rocks (and needs to be on a Beatles pin) and All You Need is Love, but which would suck for pinball.

1 year later
#24795 4 years ago

Where’s all the info on who’s selling all these new Aliens? I’d be up to buy one, if it really worked and had replacement parts.

Or is this just a bunch of hooey?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider thefamilyarcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=thefamilyarcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.