• 24,458 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 263 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4640 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Uff nothing from that piece of shit Prometheus please.

Quoted from spfxted:

You know...I didn't like it the first time I saw it in the theatre. At home in 3D...I'm warming up to it. Still, a lot of stupid shit there, but, not as bad as i first thought.

I was SOOOO disappointed with Prometheus. Sure, it looks great - but the script was total crap. Too many plot holes, and just totally unrealistic characters. It had some potential, but I blame that dude from Lost for screwing it up.

...back on topic - I'm very excited to see this pin at TPF (assuming it's still going).

2 weeks later
#4973 3 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

I'm not trying to talk in riddles but I can't say myself right now if the game will make it to Texas.

Purty please with sugar on top?

2 months later
#5640 3 years ago

I'm interested!

#5949 3 years ago
Quoted from nman:

she's 29 and occasionally goes dressed as Elvira to conventions,

You knew this was coming so I'll just get it out of the way now.... Pictures or it didn't happen.

Oh, and I'm still interested in seeing Alien when it's done.

#6086 2 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Then why was the playfield approved and shown?

Just guessing here, but perhaps because it doesn't contain video and audio clips from the movie?

2 months later
#6932 2 years ago

So excited to be able to play this game soon! It's on the top of my wishlist right now.

2 months later
#7767 2 years ago

Ahhhhhhhh YEAB BABY!!!! ....I won't be there, so I hope someone can get some good pics and vids.

4 weeks later
#9154 2 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Alien fully supports Tournament Mode -- both Brian and I play lots of tournaments, that's important to us. But Tournament Mode means that the random number generator has no say in what happens: if two players shoot the exact same sequence of shots with the exact same timing, they'll wind up with the exact same score. So if Tournament Mode is active, the Mystery awards will always be the same for a given game state, the Xenos will always attack in the same pattern in Ambush Multiball, Jonesy will always run in a predictable pattern during Find Jonesy. If Tournament Mode is not active, Mystery awards are somewhat more mysterious (biased random), you won't know where the Xenos will appear next during Ambush, and Jonesy will go wherever the catnip leads him.

I got a little tingle of excitement reading this. Honestly, this is the only new pin I am really looking forward to right now.

1 month later
#9716 2 years ago

I like the LDC screen, and think it's a big improvement over the rotating chamber. Just a thought - it could replicate the look of the original computer screens form the 1st movie - while still relaying specific player information.

download1 (resized).jpg
download2 (resized).jpg
images4 (resized).jpg

images3 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#10050 2 years ago

We are flat out finishing the first 3 games for EAG next week. This is the major European coin-op trade show in Europe.

Will these be the same games you are bringing to TPF? I'm very excited to get a chance to play.

#10151 2 years ago

Looks like fun! I like the small LCD - certainly an improvement over the "Queen in a can" (IMHO). Also glad to hear they will be using black under the flipper bats - you can see it's needed in the shot above.

2 weeks later
#10553 2 years ago

I'm very excited to get a chance to play this at TPF. ...assuming all goes well, suspect I may be putting down a deposit on one of these bad boys.

#10556 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

If there was more of this we might not have the Predator and jpoop fiasco....

Predator certainly. But I'm not so sure about poop-a-duece and all his NDA's. Heck, there were even concerned customers who visitied his shop (inhaled the magic dust) and reported all was ok. ...so I'm not sure a few probing questions would have brought down that house of cards.

#10786 2 years ago

Ice, are you going to TPF? ...I'm very excited to get a chance to play Alien there.

1 week later
#11024 2 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

Bring some to the Texas Pinball Festival. I want to play!

It has been confirmed that Alien will be at TPF.

#11105 2 years ago

Andrew, I wish you could bring a few extra Alien pins to TPF. I'd love nothing more than to hand you a fat stack of cash and bring one of these bad boys home with me. ...suspect I wouldn't be the only one too.

#11255 2 years ago

Glad you guys hugged it out. OH - have I mentioned I'm STOKED to play Alien at TP? I am!!!

#11258 2 years ago

Texas Pinball Festival. ....phew.

Damn ipad. Ok, g'night.

#11292 2 years ago
Quoted from cjmjmm2006:

I know some people on pinside in real life but most will tell you this is not normal for me to post like this. I just wanted to inform the pinball community of the game so they can make a more informed decision on their purchases.
This game is at voodoo brewing in Homestead PA but will make its way to our newest retro arcade at Starport in Morgantown WV.
Good luck to everyone on their alien pinball. I'm sure you'll be happy with the purchase.

Thank you!

1 week later
#11521 2 years ago

I can't hold back any longer...I'm in. I just sold Ghostbusters - so I've got $$ and space.

BOO YA BABY!!

#11571 2 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I'd love to bring cash and pick up one at Allentown!

I am trying to do the same at TPF.

#11573 2 years ago

Respectfully disagree Ben. I like the playfield LCD a lot.

#11677 2 years ago

I am STOKED about this game! If one of the biggest points of debate after watching the Deadflip stream is around the 'you have failed' message - I think we are off to a GREAT start.

#11711 2 years ago

Good posts above (except for yours Ted ). ...and I will agree with Manic here. Anything too repetitive gets old real quick - especially in the home setting IMHO. To be honest, that is one of the reasons I sold Ghostbusters. Well, that - and to make room for Alien.

#11728 2 years ago

I've heard three will be there...but I'm not an official spokesman - just a tipsy Pinsider.

1 week later
#11956 2 years ago

Can't wait 'till TPF! Less than two weeks away!

#12019 2 years ago

It's great to have a choice!!

#12021 2 years ago

I have a question if I may. Will the Alien pins at TPF be running production boards?

#12082 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Am I the only person who liked Prometheus?

You may be. Prometheus was beautiful to look at, but the HUGE plot holes and just completely unbelievable characters ruined it for me.

Oh, and I am also SO VERY EXCITED to play Alien at TPF in just a few days!

#12165 2 years ago

Just two more days 'till we get to play Alien at TPF!!

#12310 2 years ago

Look what followed me home from TPF!

...still need to unpack everything else. Will put a few games on later tonight and then jump back on here later
To discuss.

IMG_3351 (resized).JPG

#12314 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

we won't expect you to update your collection until next weekend

Just updated. I'm pretending to work today, but really just decompressing from TPF - brousing Pinside.

Quoted from chucksmith:

Awesome! Xeno head action shots with some idea of what mode/mission uses the head "please"

I have not had time to learn all the modes - only put in a few games last night. I do know it is used in the 'Queens nest' mode, and you can also start a multi-ball by bashing it enough.

Quoted from PinBalt:

Was this a new in box game or one of the show floor games?

It was a show floor game. Here's the story. I knew several months back I wanted to add an ALIEN to my colletion. HOWEVER - I just don't do the 'pre-pay' thing. There is no way I'm dropping several thousand $$'s and then just crossing my fingers hoping a game shows up someday. So, I had contacted both Andrew and Melissa several times in the months/weeks leading up to the show, and let them know I would be bringing CASH. I had originally hoped to get one NIB - untouched by human hands - but Andrew was only able to get three machines ready for the show and wanted all three on the floor. In hindsight - this was a blessing in disguise. ...why?

Well, the Cointaker folks were nice enough to let me pick a game and un-box it. Unfortunately, the game I picked was damadged during shipping. The glass shattered, and those little diamonds were EVERYWHERE in the game, and slightly scratched the playfield. Good thing I hadn't just taken that one home. From there, my choice was between two machines. I played a few times over the weekend, and watched - both seemed to play great. On Sunday, I noticed the playfield LCD had sunk a bit on one of the games. It was causing the ball to 'jump' over that ledge - and occasionally got hung up there (I think someone mentioned this above). Those LCD's are adjustable so that's not a big problem, but on closer inspection I noticed a small chip in the paint/clear on that edge - so that made my choice pretty easy.

Andrew was great. Before taking it home, he went over the game with me - helped me tear it down and pack it up. Needless to say I was VERY excited to get home and set it up. Sorry if I blew past some folks on I-45 - left lane is for PASSING ONLY. ...anyway.

Let me tell you - playing this game at TPF (or any loud, bright venue) does not do this game justice. Get it in a dark, quiet place and it really SHINES!~! The lightshow and sounds are on-par with the best machines out there (if not better IMHO).

I have not had a chance to make any adjustments yet. The airlock scoop needs to be tweaked so it doesn't fire SDTM, and I'm going to gap the switches on the pops and slings - oh - and I'm most certainly going to adjust the left outlane post.

Overall, I could not be more happy or excited about my purchase.

IMG_3242 (resized).JPG
IMG_3245 (resized).JPG

#12328 2 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The clear chipping around the window is kind of concerning. Did the team notice this or have anything to say about it? Did it look like it was caused only because the display was misleveled?

Yes, I pointed it out to Andrew, and he took a picture of the area with his phone. And yes, it was 100% due to the LCD being slightly lower than the playfield. Everytime the ball would hit that spot (pretty much every ball that returned to the flippers), it would slam that exposed edge and airball off it. Honestly, I am surprised the playfield didn't suffer more damage. Now I know that keeping that LCD level in the playfield is pretty important.

#12335 2 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I feel like when you make a ramp shot, you shouldn't be punished.
On the last game I played after two made ramps, the ball somehow escaped out of the left return and went into that outlane area with the posts. Super disappointing.

This happend to me a few times also - HOWEVER - I think I have an easy fix. I noticed that the left outlane post is wide open (as you would expect from factory). In fact, it's so far in that it partially sits under the ramp hole. I think the ball is glancing off that inlane post rubber and bouncing around a bit. I plan to tighten the outlanes, and expect this problem to go away as a result. I'm going to be tweaking the game tonight, so I'll let y'all know if it works.

Quoted from chadderack:

I assume it was SunKing who said to me "sorry to do this to you" and turned off the machine on the right, which is the one I was set to play.

Yeah, that's me in the orange shirt. We were adjusting the playfield LCD on the game that had the chipped playfield. I turned off the other game because that's the one I was taking home, and needed to hit the road ASAP. ....sorry again.

#12341 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

So did either of you get the face huggers for the slings?

Tsskinne did. I have mine, and may install them tonight. I'm not sure what happened to game #3.

Quoted from sed6:

Congrats to both of you!

Thanks!

#12368 2 years ago

Ohhh Myyy Gaaawwwdddd.... I've tweaked a few things, and ALIEN is playing GREAT. I finally broke 40 million on a few games, finished several multi-balls, completed modes - even got close to seeing a wizard mode. Trust me, if you are a fan of the Alien movies, you will not be disappointed. This game ROCKS!! The lightshow and sounds are truly amazing.

That being said - yeah, my game is early production and not everything was 100% when I brought it home from TPF. I knew this going in. Andrew and I talked, and I let him know I've done a few playfield swaps and know my way around a pin. I wasn't going to freak out if a few adjustments or tweaks were needed. Here's what I've done so far....

Airlock scoop: This is the most important shot in Alien, as it starts modes. The last thing you want is to qualify a mode, hit the start shot - and be rewarded with a SDTM kickout. I adjusted this mech to prevent that.

Outlane posts: I'm not trying to take peoples money, I want to have fun. I tightened the outlane posts. EASY adjustment.

Ball trough kickout: On a rare occasion, the ball would not launch cleanly into the shooter lane. This was also a pretty easy fix.

Pops/slings: Gapped the switches as you would with any new machine.

Leveled the machine. Yep - that helps.

Honestly, I enjoy working on pinball machines, so it doesn't bother me that, yes -even a new machine may not work perfectly 'out of the box' (or in my case, a hastily set up machine that subsequently gets pounded by over 400 players over a 48+ hour period).

I had a BLAST playing tonight.

#12372 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Have you played around with any of the game settings yet? I'm curious if the flipper or coil power settings make much of a difference in game speed? How is the audio quality at home compared to the Metallica next to it?

Yes, I've been through all of the menus. However, I did not see any flipper/coil power settings. The audio is simply amazing - seriously. I had to turn it down a lot when I got it home. Also, there are settings to adjust the callouts, movie quotes and music separately, so you can get the mix you want.

#12380 2 years ago
Quoted from sandersj:

Can you describe your tweaks in detail?

Will do. My plan is to write up a complete post, with pictures.

Quoted from Whysnow:

what do you mean by tighten the outlane posts? Did you move the left outlane up to make it more conservative.

Yep, that's it.

#12429 2 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Hey that is my location!

Congrats!!

....and for those keeping score - this is one of the three TPF games.

My high score so far....

A few cool things to pass on - during multi-ball I sunk three balls in the center airlock scoop. One by one, each was fired out without issue. Another neat thing was when I drained a ball thinking all was lost, hit the launch button to activate my weapon, and that somehow started ambush multi-ball. ....such a rush.

IMG_3377 (resized).JPG

#12475 2 years ago

By all indications, games are beginning to trickle out. Hopefully, that pace will increase in the weeks and months ahead. Trust me when I say that for those who ordered games - when you get them - you will NOT be disappointed.

SPOILER ALERT: A few modes and multi-balls really stand out.

From the 1st Alien movie - the Tunnel Hunt mode is intense. The entire playfield is lit with dark blue, you are shooting for the 'vent' shots (not easy to hit), and the heavy breathing and heartbeat make you feel like you are crawling through the tunnel with an Alien about to jump out at any second. Finding Jonsey and Derelict Ship also really capture the feel of the 1st film. The ambient sounds and background music complete the picture....so bad ass. Self Destruct wizard mode....you will have to see for yourself.

While the modes from 1st film are moody and spooky, the modes from the 2nd are an adrenaline rush. Two modes stand out. First is the Queens Nest, where the playfieled goes green, and you have to alternate between hitting the queen (xeno head) and the eggs. My 2nd favorite is the Combat Drop - the lights on this mode are simply gorgeous. Bug Hunt and APC modes are also fun, and maybe the easiest - yet still full of high energy action.

Sound fun? Well it's the multi-ball modes where Alien really shines. The easiest multi-ball to get is Ambush. As soon as you hit the shot to start it, the playfield goes completely dark - Paxton says "How can they cut he power man, they're animals?" The playfield goes red and the motion tracker fills the screen. You shoot aliens as they approach on the tracker. Awesome. Hypersleep multi is harder to get, but also very cool. But let me tell ya, tonight as I was playing, I hit Save Newt multi-ball. I got chills. Swear to god goosebumps on my arms chills. ...been while since a pin has done that for me

#12477 2 years ago

Mother seems to know exactly what you need. During modes, she give you extra time. During muti-balls she adds one. Other times...she may surprise you.

#12572 2 years ago

...that bitch Mother told me to "Play better" tonight...

Also heard a funny bonus related callout - actually a couple I've heard tonight for the first time, and I've been playing this game almost non-stop for a couple weeks. I'm so excited for y'all to get your machines!

IMG_3401 (resized).JPG

#12587 2 years ago

I'll tell you what I think. Based on Andrew's presentation at TPF, they weren't really thrilled with the currently submitted LE artwork. They are re-working it, and once it's good enough, it will then be submitted to FOX. ...maybe they've submitted it already...but Andrew said they were waiting on hi-res assets, so I'm thinking they are still working on it.

...no idea why it's taken this long.

#12760 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Starting with the TPF ones they appears to have produciton boards and production flipper inserts. From what I know, there is an updated Xeno mech board that needs to be installed but those are coming.

I can confirm the above.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I guess I dont look at the need to swap out a single small board on a few pre-production units as a red flag. If anything I look at it as a positive that they are making changes and doing so at this stage.

IMHO, it depends on how you see the glass - half empty, or half full. Yes, it seems these issues should have been resolved by now. On the other hand, I am happy that Heighway are working to get the main toy in this game 'punched up' and working 100%.

Quoted from Whysnow:

I cant speak for others, but I knew exactly what I was getting when we negotiated to get game #2 built. I can also say that the service, reaction to feedback, and adjustments to make improvements has been exceptional. I have to assume everyone else buying an early run game was also not only knowing but excited to get one and more than happy to help out.

Yep, exactly. I knew what I was getting as Andrew and I talked about everything in person before I took the game home. I knew I'd need to make some adjustments/tweaks, and knew I'd be waiting on a new board for the Xeno to function 100%. I will echo Hilton's statement regarding service/support and reaction to feedback. Helmut (Service manager) is quick to answer emails and is willing to video skype if needed (I haven't had to). I was also contacted by David (sounds) and Joe (code). They were interested in my feedback, and also wanted to get the audits from TPF,and subsequently after a few hundred HUO games (post tweaks). From my conversations with both of them, a code update seems near, and additional (perhaps larger) code updates are also in the works. For me, being able to contribute even in a small way to the continued development/improvment of the game is pretty exciting.

#12787 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've had plenty of history with patience and pinball.

Hang in there Ice, you won't be disappointed when this one shows up.

IMG_1934 (resized).JPG

#12847 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Do all standards come with the exterior lit cabinet art or is that part of the Blade EL lighting system?

All SE's include the exterior lit cabinet. That is a standard feature on all Heighway games. The EL blade lighting for Alien is completely seperate.

Regarding the CPU upgrade, I remember reading that Heighway picked the curent model in Alien so that it COULD be forward compatabe. It can power three completely seperate HD screens (Alien has only two seperate feeds).

#12871 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Hypersleep Multiball sounds really cool by the way Ferret described it. I'm guessing it's the hardest of the multiballs to start. ... as I understand it, you have to knock down the drops to light the lock, but it can be pretty hard to make the ramp shot from the upper RT flipper, let alone getting it to feed to that flipper when the lock is lit. Sounds pretty tough, which is a good thing! You have to do that three times to start it, but you can also lose one of those hard earned ball locks via a LT outlane save. I hope the scoring for this mode is worth all the effort

You are correct. ...and I agree, as the hardest multi-ball to get, you should be rewarded with big points.

And I just cross posted with the man himself!!

BTW, I have all my multi-balls set to 'easy' (not super easy so don't give me any grief ) ...with that setting, it's only takes two life-cycles to start Save Newt, and only two captured balls to start Hpersleep ....I'm pretty sure, but defer to Ferret of course.

Quoted from Ferret:

I also recently made Mother more likely to award "Advance Lifecycle" when the Chestburster is lit to help with this.

I've heard about SO MANY cool things that are 'in the next release' ....excited to see that.

#12873 2 years ago

How much? ...seriously.

#12875 2 years ago

...and we will settle up in two weeks.

1 week later
#12976 2 years ago
Quoted from PinBalt:

It came and went...

It's only 1:00pm here, and 7:00pm in the UK - so technically not over yet.

#13051 2 years ago

Congrats to the Heighway team for getting final approval for Alien artwork!

Like all of you, I want production spin up. However, I don't expect Andrew to comment on that - as he says below:

Quoted from NPO:
Kind of a bummer he didn't hit on the elephant in the room: timetable for shipping games. ....

Yes, I've learnt the hard way that actions speak louder than words

However, I do have a few questions...

Quoted from the Alien day video:
"We've been improving the xenomorph mechanism to make it more reliable"

I know a new Xeno board is coming. Are they ready? Can we get more detail on this?

Quoted from the Alien day video:
"We've been improving the lighting system"

I suspect these are the GI towers. About a week ago I got an email from Heighway Service Mgr that said "We are reviewing at the moment the LED towers and I will update you shortly". Any more details here?

#13075 2 years ago

Happy Alien Day everyone!

IMG_1989 (resized).JPG

IMG_1992 (resized).JPG

IMG_1994 (resized).JPG

IMG_1996 (resized).JPG

IMG_1997 (resized).JPG

#13219 2 years ago

..wrong thread...disregard...

#13236 2 years ago

Black zip ties. ...zip tie-gate.

#13345 2 years ago

....mmmmmm.

IMG_1991 (resized).JPG

#13346 2 years ago

..aahhhh....

IMG_1996 (resized).JPG

#13347 2 years ago

IMG_1998 (resized).JPG

#13364 2 years ago

ALIEN TWEAKS

I've been getting lots of questions from current/new/potential owners about the tweaks I've done to get Alien playing top notch. I've decided to go ahead and put a list here for everyone.

DISCLAIMER: My game is one of the very early production games from TPF, so your game may/may not need everything described below.

1) Playfield LCD - You MUST make sure the LCD is level in the playfield, as you risk playfield chipping on that edge if it is not. The issue I had was despite making the adjustment (just four screws holding the LCD), it would not hold it's position. After 20 or so plays, I'd lift the playfield, and one of the LCD mounting screws would have fallen out into the bottom of the cabinet. The easy fix was to use small lock-washers between the playfield and the LCD mounting bracket. My LCD has been level and stable since.

2) Pops and slings - As with any new machine, you will want to gap the leaf switches for the pops and slings.

3) Airlock scoop - This is a very important shot in the game, as it starts all of the modes. Mine was firing SDTM more than 50% of the time - not fun. There are several ways to adjust a scoop. I loosened the mounting screws and tried to 'twist' slightly - but there really wasn't much room to adjust, so I went overkill - removed the mech and used a drill to slightly enlarge the mounting holes. That gave it enough play to adjust the trajectory of the ball.

4) Shooter lane ball kickout - About 10% of the time, my game had some trouble getting the ball into the shooter lane. I found that the lane protector (mounted on the shooter lane with two screws) was slightly overhanging the ball trough launch. I didn't want to try re-mounting it farther back fearing I could mess up the shooter lane. Instead, I removed the protector and tested that indeed it was the issue. I then took a dremel and ground it down just a bit to remove the little bit that was overhanging. Re-mounted it, and haven't had an issue since.

5) Upper rt flipper - was not returning to rest position 100%. I installed a slightly stronger spring - fixed.

6) Playfield switches - My top rollover lanes were not registering. This was because one of the PCP's was not mounted completely flush to the playfield. The proximity switches that are under the playfield need to be completely inside their mounting holes. Tightened everything up - easy fix.

7) Ramp feeds to inlanes - I made a tweak to almost completely eliminate the frustrating 'ball hopping out' when it should feed cleanly from the ramp to the in-lane. ...getting a little long here, so will save that little nugget for another post.

Xeno mech - currently disabled...waiting on new Xeno board.

Hope that helps some of y'all~!

#13486 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Except those games would not be finished, or have some latest part, and the Pinsiders would be all up on the boards screaming how they got taken and how they want their games fixed right now or a full refund, etc.

Nope - if any Pinsider got the game I took home from TPF, he'd be on here singing it's praises. ...I'll bet on that.

#13490 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Can you imagine the impatience of a bunch of Pinsiders waiting on that or any other part?

I certainly empathize with the impatience of those who have paid in part or in full for this game. It truly is a dream theme for me, and I'm sure for many others as well.

Quoted from Manimal:

Oh I agree that it is going to be a good game, but does your Alien head work? Aren't you waiting on a replacement board?

Mr. Xeno is in a coma at the moment. I am waiting on the new xeno board. Andrew and I talked about this in person, face to face at TPF. I expect to get this board, and honestly, I am in no hurry. It doesn't impact game play in any way. When Ambush multi-ball starts, the magnet in front of the xeno still grabs the ball. All lights go out, and Bill Paxton screams "what do mean they cut the power, they're animals"...or other variations..and gameplay continues. ...it's awesome. Sure, it will be SO COOL when the xeno eats the ball with strobes all going off...but that's only cosmetic, and such a small part of the overall game.

IMG_1996 (resized).JPG

IMG_1997 (resized).JPG

#13498 2 years ago

How do I get outa this chicken-shit outfit?

18221834_10154537845643443_7848461621143516523_n (resized).jpg

#13507 2 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Post that photo a few more times why don't you...geez.

My apologies. A few new pics would make you happy?

IMG_3351 (resized).JPG
IMG_3379 (resized).JPG
IMG_3381 (resized).JPG

IMG_2072 (resized).JPG

#13508 2 years ago

....wait, that's not Alien...that's an old Genie... Someone needs to stay on topic.

#13716 2 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

Yes, the new Design Zeno Mechanism

I wasn't 100% sure if this was correct or not. Not that I doubted 'Join_The_Cirqus', but I figured we would have had an announcement from Heighway that the new Xeno mechs and boards were ready. So I zapped off an email yesterday evening to Helmut (Heighway Cust Srv Mgr) asking if he could confirm - and he DID!!

I let out a sigh of relief when I read his reply this morning. The new mechs and boards are ready, and going into games. He said he will be out of town until mid-next week, but expects to start sending 'care packages' with new parts to existing owners towards the end of next week. WooHoo!!

Now, let me explain why I let out that sigh of relief. It's not for my own selfish reasons of wanting my xeno to work, it was more for everyone else who wants to get this game someday. To me, the biggest issue holding up delivery of these games wasn't LE art, LE ramp lighting or any other LE related thing - it was reworking the xeno mech which is the main toy on EVERY game. With that hurdle (apparently) behind them, I hope to see more games coming off the line and making their way into owners homes.

#13720 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Did they give any indication that the games that are going out now are final as far as hardware goes or are they still making changes as far as adding flashers, etc. to the game?

Honestly, I don't know. Helmut only confirmed that the new game going out really did have the updated Xeno assembly. The lighting on this game is already so bad-ass, any additional improvements are just more icing on an already iced cake IMHO.

#13742 2 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I'm still on .94 code.

I am also on .94 code.

#13752 2 years ago

I can't really argue with PoMC here - the ramps on Alien are not polished like what we are used to seeing on other pins. I noticed it, and took some 'Mothers' polish to 'em. They will shine up - but to do it right you will need to disassemble the ramps. For me, it wasn't worth the effort - you really do not notice when you're playing.

#13830 2 years ago
Quoted from lamihh:

Did you protect the scoop or anything?

I *HIGHLY* recommend putting some mylar at the airlock scoop.

1 week later
#14170 1 year ago

There are no flashers.

#14172 1 year ago

I suspect they 'could' be added - but I doubt they will. The scope creep with this project must stop. Andrew needs to lock down design (if he hasn't already) and get these games shipping ASAP. If anything, I'm guessing a future code update may be able to replicate a flasher type effect without any changes to hardware.

#14366 1 year ago

Join_the_Cirqus, please end the confusion and explain how your game's trim changed color from the time you first posted ten days ago 'till now. Did you have it powder coated? Did Andrew send you replacement armor? Do you have two machines? ...you would end a lot of speculation with a simple answer.

Sorry will post more in the AM
Game is amazing!!

IMG_2416 (resized).JPG

Lets get this Thread Back on Track

IMG_2640 (resized).JPG

#14507 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I bet its a cash infusion from an investor.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

A cash infusion is the only announcement I want to hear.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Agreed. It's the only thing it logically could be,

I bet it's the next game being announced. Short of an angel investor, it's the only thing that could provide a cash infusion.

#14541 1 year ago
Quoted from JonCrox:

Andy is thinking long term with his modular parts, imagine a flipper change being 4 screws or a complete game change being a 5 min operation using the same cab.

This would be great - but the devil is in the details. All new Alien machines have an Alien sticker on the coin door. Am I supposed to peel that off when I swap? ...or does the new playfield come with a new sticker....but then I can't swap back...hmmm....

And those modular flippers are a great idea so long as you don't mount the entire boardset over a corner screw...so ..not so modular. Same with the pops...if there are too many other mechs mounted around ....it's more than just a couple screws.

Listen, I want Heighway to succeed. I have a vested interest for Heighway to succeed. ...so it's with much trepidation I even post this... Some of the existing owners are having support issues. I won't speak for anyone else, but my playfield LCD is out, xeno - still waiting - other various LED issues. I know, it's crunch time and they need to concentrate on getting other's games out. I've got mine and love playing it - and Helmut has been good at answering emails. So yeah, I understand I'm not the top priority right now and that's ok. I will be patient and give them the benefit of the doubt that they will come through for everyone....my fingers are crossed it happens.

#14728 1 year ago

DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed below are mine only, and have no affiliation with Pinside, Heighway, or most sane, sober people.

WHY IS HEIGHWAY SILENT NOW???

There are two logical explanations why Andrew would go radio silent. The conspiracist theory is that he's done - zero cash left to buy parts or labor - and with no good news at all....well...just sit quietly and let the chips fall where they may.

While Heighway may be in a cash crunch, I don't think that is what's happing - and for a couple reasons. First, I'm hearing lots of rumors about a corporate restructuring/buyout. Second, after meeting the man, I don't think Andrew is the type to just sit back and let everything fall apart. Do I think he's the best/smartest businessman out there? ...well no. But I didn't get the impression he was the type to take the easy way out when times gets tough.

So the second logical explanation for the silence is that there really is some type of deal being worked. ...and perhaps he doesn't want to run on about it on the forums before anything is final.

Like Tsskinne, I got a very encouraging PM from...a Heighway employee today. I really do suspect some type of deal is in the works, and my fingers are crossed it turns out positive for all of us.

....and sorry Dee-Bow, I'd already typed too much when you posted the challenge (I'm old and slow).

1 week later
#15170 1 year ago

...hope to hear some positive Alien news soon.

#15172 1 year ago

Copied from the other thread - seems it should be here as well:

Quoted from daudioguy:

....progress....
Nitro graciously loaned me the Alien that was at NWPAS. I'm testing the s*** out of it. There are issues that are being fed back to Wales to insure that when production resumes these games will be robust. Of course I am having my first chance to review the sound package while flipping. I made some good judgments and I missed a few (first try). This is to be expected. I will be addressing these as fast as I can. While doing that I am also reviewing and testing the entire package and giving notes back to the team. This refinement stage can only be done with a machine. In the very near future all the dev team will have dev machines and this will speed the enhancement process.
If you have liked what you have experienced so far we expect that you will be even more pleased with the finished package.
ddt

#15285 1 year ago

If they plan to increase the customer base going forward, they really do need to support existing customers. Nobody is going to board a ship who's passengers are all saying 'we are not happy, we want off'. (Note: not a cargument)

#15310 1 year ago

That's great news libtech~! And while we all wait for even more good news from Heighway, here's a few more pics of Alien I took while playing last night. ...the game is FUN, and I think it still looks bad-ass even without the playfield LCD and a few lights working.

IMG_2590 (resized).JPG

IMG_2581 (resized).JPG

IMG_2583 (resized).JPG

IMG_2578 (resized).JPG

IMG_2572 (resized).JPG

IMG_2575 (resized).JPG

#15320 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I thought I'd share a few thoughts on what's happening on the software side of Alien. LOTS!

THIS is why I'm anxious to get my updated Xeno mech and LED lighting. I'm stuck on ver 0.94 until I get new hardware. ...and I'm honestly more excited about the new code than I am to see the xeno eat the ball.

2 weeks later
#15480 1 year ago

Ahhhhaahhaaa.. So this happened..

Happy Friday everyone!!

IMG_2855 (resized).JPG

#15489 1 year ago
Quoted from kurgan999:

congrats bro! sickkk
let us know ur thoughts on game

Thanks. I've had it since March - picked it up at TPF. Since then, I've posted my thoughts plenty of times in this thread.

Quoted from Hazoff:

What happened, the screen went out?

Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I thought the ball stalled out on the center drain post was the pic! didn't notice the screen out!!

Yes, I was posting because I was having a great game - when the ball came SDTM - bounced back up then STDM again...and finally rested right on the middle post. It's the first time that's happened to me. ...plus I was pretty drunk, so easily amused.

Oh, and yes - my playfield LCD has been out since May. For anyone interested in the state of my game, I am still waiting on new Xeno mech/board, as well as updated lighting, and hopefully a fix for my playfield LCD. Until I can get the new hardware, I am stuck on code version 0.94.

#15491 1 year ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I get frustrated playing a game if a switch isn’t registering - this is a joke in my book.

Keep in mind, I got this game back in March. I knew then I was getting a 'pre' or 'very early' production game, and was willing to take the associated risk. Andrew told me then I'd need an updated Xeno, and they were working to get that resolved. I have also been working with Helmut (Svc Mgr) on my issues, and he is almost always prompt to reply.

That said, I think Helmut's hands are tied when it comes to sending out replacement parts. He's been quick to offer advice, but I have yet to receive any of the updated hardware I need. I hope that will change with new ownership. In fact, I have been contacted by 'New Heighway' and they have said they are going to take care of existing customers. Let's see how that plays out. I just sent an email today asking for an update. ...fingers crossed it will be good news.

#15494 1 year ago

I don't need a new playfield - mine is fine. I do need new Xeno mech/board and new GI LED's before I can update code.

Quoted from jonesjb:

sunking just curious... what are your top 5 favorite pins, and how does Alien compare in gameplay?

For the most part, my top 5 changes like the wind. The only pin that's been consistently on my top five list is Williams FirePower. I like a good mix of classic late 70's/early 80's pins with some new modern pins.

1) Firepower
2) Alien
3) Metallica
4) Paragon / Genie (widebody)
5) AC/DC / Star Trek

Even though I love Metallica, it's for sale. After owning it for over a year, I'm ready for a change. For the most part, that has been my pattern with the new pins. I'll get 'em, LOVE playing 'em, but after a year or so I'm ready to move on. It was the same with AC/DC, Star Trek and Ghostbusters. They are great fun for a while, but don't keep my long term interest.

So far, Alien has been different. I can see keeping it for a while. I *LOVE* the theme, and it's a hard pin to play, so it's still very challenging to me. And probably the biggest thing for me - the sounds. I've said before but it bears repeating, David T did an AMAZING job with the audio on this pin. It's immersive rather than irritating. Oh, and the lighting (even though mine is not working 100%) is still the best I've seen on any pin. Throw on an excellent code base/rule set, and you've got a winning combination.

...and I'm still on version 0.94. I've heard lots of great things about the updates...and can't wait to be able to experience 'em.

1 week later
#15593 1 year ago
Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Nitro received the required Xeno heads, parts & upgrades recently for our Alien customers in Canada that had received their game (during Andrew's tenure), but had outstanding issues.

Anxious to get mine as well. Fingers crossed it will happen soon.

#15635 1 year ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

I continue to test and refine the audio package while I have an Alien pin here. Invoking callouts well is a time consuming task. Joe and I continue to find opportunities to use the wealth of clips from the movies and Muthur to make playing Alien more understandable, immersive and fun.
At this point we have shifted from making sure that everything does something to polishing and refining everything and that feels great.

SOOOOOOO excited to get an update (eventually).

1 week later
#15683 1 year ago

Just FYI - last night I sent another email to the folks at Heighway asking when I might get the new hardware needed to update code. As always, Helmut was quick to reply - but it's still the same story...."please be patient - we will get to you".

My fingers are crossed it will happen... ...the game is still a ton of fun to play, but I've got so many lights out now it's hard to know what to shoot for. I'm also anxious to update from version 0.94, as ferret and daudioguy have made significant improvements since then. Oh, and I've offered to pay for parts and shipping. ...so C'mon NewHeighway - make it happen!!

#15716 1 year ago

Figured a few of y'all may be interested in this:

https://www.flylanddesigns.com/product/official-limited-edition-alien-28-inch-pinball-art-print-signed-numbered/

Alien-Pinball-Queen-Art-Print3 (resized).jpg

#15757 1 year ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

People aren't going to start buying in quantity unless they hear that any lighting or xeno head issues have been resolved

Mine haven't been resolved yet. In my most recent email to Heighway, I mentioned bringing Alien to the Houston Arcade Expo. I would PREFER to bring a fully functional game....might even prompt a few new orders for heighway. On the other hand, if everyone sees it without a working Xeno, many lighting issues, broken playfield LCD, and running old code - well....

And the frustrating part of this for me is that I've offered to PAY for parts and shipping. So what's the holdup!?!?!?

#15758 1 year ago

...and now they are taunting me with new code. Ohhhh - I want to update SOO BAD!! From Heighway's Facebook page:

Alien V0.99 (available later this month)
Changes since 0.98:
- Fix All Out War not qualifying after all requirements met.
- All Out War insert now lights after it has been played.
- Increased power to the hypersleep lock-up device
- Improved ball search for the hypersleep lock-up device
- Xenomorph tongue will now extend a little further in ball search
- Increased flipper power settings slightly
- Remove flipper coils from ball search
- Ball search outside of a game, or while tilted, will not display a message now.
- Updated burnin test to activate more coils, similar to a ball search.
- Ignore some spurious switch activity during bonus, while queued up display effects drain out.
- If a spurious switch occurred at game start and validated the playfield, this would lock in your choice of which movie mode to play. This is now changed so that the movie is not locked in until launch is pressed, or until the right inlane is triggered.
- Fixed some system display effects (which use the blue test mode background) from not showing correctly while a video was running. In particular this bug was hiding the volume adjustment screen sometimes in attract mode.
- Increase main HSTD table to 5 entries, and added more team members' initials onto the defaults.
- Mode timers now pause briefly while the ball is in pop bumpers
- Playfield GI changes color during movie selection
- Multiball grace period now pauses while ball is being held up (for example, while the Mother award is being announced).
- Add multiball resurrection rules. Starting Sentry Guns will now restart any other multiball that was in its grace period. Likewise, starting any other multiball will now resurrect Sentry Guns from its grace period.
- Mother add-a-ball award now resurrects any multiball(s) in its grace period.
- Fix occasional pauses at endball before bonus started.
- Fix centre ramp not spotting letters towards SHIP if double scoring was already running.
- Fix occasional incorrect skill shot value display (it was correctly added to score)
- Fix mode going into grace period not displaying its timer or its hurry-up value correctly
- Boosted priority of beacon effect during wizard modes, so that it is not interrupted as often.
- Adjust scoring for Sentry Guns to prevent some outrageous scoring possibilities.
- Ambush jackpot value now increases gradually as you progress through Lifecycles, rather than increasing all at once when a Lifecycle is finished.
- Added Scene Start Difficulty adjustment. Default now lights the scene start for free at the beginning of a game.
- Derelict Ship shots are now indicated by the main arrows, not the symbol inserts.
- Added more beacon effects
- Fixed lamp effect for combos lit disappearing on ball launch.
- Revive lamp effect increased from 1 sec to 2 sec.
- Improved Rescue mode more and added some display effects for it
- Many updated sounds/callouts:
- Fixed truncated Hudson callouts
- Add new audio clips to Loader Battle
- Added correct sound for ball saver
- Added new endgame callouts
- Added sounds for weapon use
- Adjusted volume for orbit shots
- Added sounds for Super Pops
- Improved sound on ball kickout from the airlock scoop.
- Added new callouts for "mode not ready".
- Added callouts on revived ball
- Added audio and more lighting effects with more progress towards Ambush MB.
- Improved stacking/priority of some callouts
- Added callout for Save Newt ready to start
- Added callouts for Chestburster Combos.
- Added new pop bumper sounds and mode fail sound to Derelict Ship.
- Added more orbit sounds
- Add sounds to centre ramp
- Add many callouts to Rescue mode
- Add more Mother callouts
- Misc. sounds updated/cleaned
- Modify timing for callouts related to xenomorphs hits remaining for Ambush.
- Add sounds to recharge
- Changed egg bumper explosion sounds
- Exclude some sounds when in family mod

#15833 1 year ago

As much as I want to - I'm not going to watch the new stream/video. Instead, I'm going to wait 'till my new pats are delivered, then update and experience the new code for myself. ...I'd hate to spoil some surprises. From what I've read, there has been SUBSTANTIAL improvements since version 0.94.

...c'mon New Heighway!!

Hilton, you mentioned that Heighway gave you some type of 'timeline' regarding your new parts - any details you can share? All I'm getting is "we promise to take care of you - be patient".

#15874 1 year ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Ball launcher has trouble making the launch : Just looking for others to chime in and say whether this has been an issue on their games. What seems to be wrong with this one?

I have not watched the stream - but I had issues with my Alien getting a clean launch also. I found it was the lane protection guide that was in the way. I posted a fix (with pictures) in the Alien owners thread that has worked 100% for me:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/get-away-from-her-you-bitch-alien-club-all-members-expendable#post-3781630

2 weeks later
#16151 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

if i can point out something that i feel is worthwhile and a help to others in a logical, intelligent, factual manner - i'm going to do it.

Then just do it already!!

#16191 1 year ago

ACTUAL UPDATE:

I hope I'm not going to jinx anything by posting this....

Cointaker is expecting a shipment from Heighway to arive Sep 1. I only know this because I've been emailing both of them asking for any news on when I may receive the parts I need to update the software. Unfortunately, I do not know if this shipment will contain any new games - but it only makes sense that it will.

For existing owners, here's where it gets interesting. Apparently, its not just a few new parts. The early Alien machines that went out are getting completetly new playfields and new Zotac PC's. Cointaker is expected to receive about a dozen new playfields and replacement PC's in the Sep 1 shipment. My fingers (toes, legs and arms) are crossed in hopes that it happens.

2 weeks later
#16551 1 year ago

Per Melissa cointaker as of Monday, Sep 11, "There was a holdup with the shipment because the ramps were not right. All is good now, and 21 games are on their way as well as parts".

#16558 1 year ago

Say what you will, but Melissa has never lied to me yet.

#16628 1 year ago

The Houston Arcade Expo is coming soon!! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2017-houston-arcade-expo

I'm going to bring my Alien.

It will be on free play, as long as it holds up.

I'm still on version 0.94 - several releases behind current code.

You will be banging away on one of the first Aliens ever made. And that's ok - I'm expecting to receive a completely new populated playfield and replacement PC - so come play an early version before I update it with new parts. The game ROCKS!@!

I'm enjoying a cold beverage and playing Alien....and I think this game kicks ass! ....I'm not a newb to pinball...so....well...HAVE FUN Y'All~!!

3 weeks later
#17124 1 year ago

My fingers are crossed that this container also includes replacement playfields and parts for early/beta machines.

1 week later
#17403 1 year ago

Well, my fingers are STILL crossed (they are starting to ache) that replacement parts are included in the shipment expected to arrive at CT tomorrow. Mellisa said the parts are 'supposed' to be on the container, but she will not be able to confirm until they open it up.

I was hopeful I'd have them by now (as promised multiple times by Heighway), as I'm bringing Alien to the Houston Arcade Expo this weekend. In several emails sent months ago, I mentioned this was a good opportunity for Alien to shine - perhaps bringing in new sales. But no, now people will be playing an Alien with no working Xeno, many lights out, no working playfield LCD, and stuck on code version 0.94.

Regardless, I'm going to have a GREAT time this weekend!!

#17428 1 year ago
Quoted from royneblom:

sorry for the bad pictures , but tired to take them when i played myself

What? Those pics are GREAT!! So happy to see these going out.

#17625 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Special thanks to sunking for bringing the Aliens game to HAAG this weekend. Very cool to see this game at our Houston show, it was enjoyed by everyone.

Thank you sir!

Yes, Alien was played nearly non-stop for 14 hours on Friday and 16 hours on Saturday. During all that, it went down about six times. I had a wire break off the shooter coil and had to be re-soldered (twice!). There were a couple times where the flippers stopped working (only one would fire...strange) - that was fixed with just rebooting. I had a flipper rubber break - TITAN Pinball to the rescue. But what may concern new owners is that both of my facehuggers lost their tails, and ended up jammed in the ball trough.

Overall I think everyone seemed to enjoy the game. It's really loud at HAAG (like an arcade party!), so most folks didn't get to appreciate the sound as it's meant to be - but - I did get lots of compliments.

Keep in mind, my machine is pre-production, and running on version 0.94. Until I get updated parts, I can not update the code. Also, my Xeno does not work, the playfield LDC is out, and some lights are out as well. I was hopeful I'd have the updated parts before the show so that everyone could experience a 'full version' Alien...but that didn't happen. In fact I'm not sure if they were on the container that showed up at CT's late last week. I'll reach out to Mellisa on Monday....fingers (still) crossed.

IMG_3779 (resized).JPG
IMG_3780 (resized).JPG
IMG_3713 (resized).JPG
IMG_3756 (resized).JPG
IMG_3771 (resized).JPG

#17718 1 year ago

Well CRAP!!!!!

I hate to bring down the vibe of happy folks getting their games, but I just got confirmation from Cointaker that the parts I need to update my game (hardware needed to update software) were NOT included in the recent shipment. This, despite several promises from the new Heighway team.

So I have not idea when (or if) I will get a working Xeno, working LED's, working playfield LCD, and updated drop targets - all of which are REQUIRED before I can update my code (stuck on version 0.94).

Yeah, I'm a little bit frustrated.

#17723 1 year ago

Maybe they shouldn't make promises they have no intention of keeping.

#17728 1 year ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I really wish one of you guys who are waiting on parts would start a HP Customer Service thread, where pending parts & service requests can be monitored & updated

I started one first thing this morning when I found out parts were not on the container as promised.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/heighway-pinball-support-full-throttle-and-alien

Also, Hilton and I are in slightly different situations. I purchased my game from Cointaker, and have been getting some communication and help from them. Hilton purchased directly from Heighway, so is completely reliant on them for support.

#17943 1 year ago

While everyone is posting un-boxing pics, here are a few of my Alien at the Houston Arcade Expo. Except for when I was fixing something, it was played non-stop.

All set up and ready to go
IMG_3692 (resized).JPG
IMG_3713 (resized).JPG
IMG_3719 (resized).JPG
IMG_3766 (resized).JPG
Even Mario got a chance to play~!
IMG_3756 (resized).JPG

IMG_3726 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#18359 1 year ago
Quoted from bcd:

However, I think with some code changes we can work around this. I'm already working on it and it looks promising. Thanks for your patience!

Man, how I would LOVE to be able to update the code on my Alien. I know y'all are sick of me saying it over and over, but I am stuck on version 0.94 and can not update the code on my game until I receive updated parts. They were promised to me first by Andrew - face to face - at TPF back in March. He said I'd get them in about two weeks. Since then, the hardware platform evolved more, and it seems I will need to replace all the GI LED's the drop target mech, the Xeno and the PC. I've received many promises from New Heighway and Cointaker, including the promise of a populated playfield and new PC that was to be included in the most recent shipping container to Cointaker ...but like all the others before, that promise was broken, and as of now I have no idea if I'll get anything.

#18383 1 year ago

Was having such a good game!! ...then, scoop switch stopped registering. Probably a broken wire/connection. Will lift the hood when I'm more sober...

Even on 0.94 code, this is a fun game.

IMG_3864[1] (resized).JPG

1 week later
#18546 1 year ago

Yep, at the Houston Arcade Expo in October, my facehuggers each lost a tail which ended up wedged in the ball trough. They were NOT rubbing on the glass. However, this is the least of my worries, as you all know (and yes I'm going to say it again) I am stuck on code version 0.94 until I can receive the new hardware needed to update my code. Since March of this year I have had many promises from Heighway and Cointaker offering a resolution - but as of today - November 16 - I still have no idea if or when they may ship them. ...and I have offered to PAY for these parts and shipping!! ....still no luck.

I'm a patient guy, but if Heighway announces a new game at TPF, and I STILL don't have updated parts - I promise I WILL stand up and speak my mind - asking when they are going to start supporting customers who purchased a game at TPF ONE YEAR AGO! Might put a little damper on their party - so I'm hopeful that won't need to happen. ...'cause I'm SURE I'll have my parts before then.....right??

#18614 1 year ago

Helmut has been busy lately. I just received an email regarding my 'pre-production' game. ...stay tuned.

1 week later
#18792 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Already done for next code release.

Gosh, I so wish I could update from 0.94. I know....broken record.

#18794 1 year ago

To be honest, I'm not pissed. I knew I was getting a very early (pre?) production game, and was willing to take that risk to get the game. That said, I was told by Andrew that all the boards were production - and it was only the Xeno mech that needed replacement - and it would be ready in only two weeks! That may have been true, but over time they went with different GI lighting, different drop targets, different PC, etc...

UPDATE!!!!

I just zapped an email to Melissa at Cointaker asking if she had heard from Heighway. She replied within minutes (love that!!) We had a nice back and forth...long story short - we have worked out a solution that I am satisfied with. I'll update details later...but I'll just leave this little nugget here...

COINTAKER CUSTOMER SUPPORT IS AWESOME!!!!!

#18812 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Man...getting crazy excited to get this pin!!!!

I'm getting excited to hear how excited you will be when finally, after all this, your Alien arrives!

And BTW, all this talk about the 'major design flaw' of how there is no reliable clean feed to the upper right flipper and hence, hard to complete lifecycle or get Hypersleep MB. That's BS. I just played about 10 games, and I got Lifecycle multiball twice. ...stacked it with Sentry Gun MB and a good time was had by all.

#18816 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

An additional path to EB has been added in pending code.

AHHH~!~! You're killing me!!

#18830 1 year ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

glad to hear that after 8 months of ownership you are getting something accomplished. 8 months, and you can finally admit to completing a certain primary objective in 2 out of 10 games? thats not very reassuring.

I woke up to see this crap?? Gimme a f'ing break. Maybe you didn't read what I wrote. I played about 10 games last night (while drinking) and stacked Lifecycle and Sentry gun MB TWICE.

I wasn't commenting on my 8 months of ownership - only those 10 games I played last night. I've had MANY games in my 8 months of ownership that were a LOT better than what I played last night. Have I finished 'all out war' yet? Nope, but I've gotten close. ....maybe just one more game.

Have you even played Alien? ...you try to argue things like 'you can't hit this shot so the game is flawed' with people who OWN the game and KNOW otherwise. What's your motivation here?

Quoted from greenhornet:

the talk is about hampered playability due to design choices, and remains quite evident. current game reviews express frustration with the upper flipper play and are not BS.

It may be evident to YOU in your ...oh so detailed analysis... Hey, quick question - did that analysis actually include....I dunno....PLAYING THE GAME???

Quoted from greenhornet:

why do you think you adjusted your SNMB and HSMB thresholds down?

Cause I suck? Seriously, I set my MB's on easy...mostly because I'm not that good of a player. Ask anyone in the Space City Pinball League. Out of about 40 players, I got knocked out of the B division in the first round. So yeah, I'm an average player....who dropped some setting down a bit easier in my game. Don't try to spin MY lack of skill into somehow 'the game is flawed'.

2 weeks later
#19119 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Changes since 1.02:

Can you write up all the changes since code version 0.94?

KIDDING!!

Yeah, someday (probably around the March timeframe) I will finally get to experience all the great code updates ferret and daudioguy have been working on over the past year.

#19143 1 year ago

I wouldn't be too worried about the plastics. I've had an early (pre?) production machine since March, and I haven't broken or chipped any. On the other hand, those facehuggers may not hold up in the long run...

IMG_3778 (resized).JPG

IMG_3780 (resized).JPG

#19191 1 year ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

I just noticed that my SE doesn’t have the Alien sticker on the coin door.

If Heighway sticks with their plan, there should not be a sticker on the coindoor. The cabinets are supposed to be a platform for any game, remember? ...just swap out playtfield, backglass and side graphics.

#19305 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Believe January is going to be a very key month in Alienland......

I REALLY hope the early LE buyers, and those who worked on the game are made whole soon. At this point, I think it would be the best thing Heighway could do to increase confidence in their company.

Quoted from legionsoup:

how many people here have received machines that work great out of the versus how many people are having issues and can't play their game?

That leaves a lot of middle ground. Of all the games released, I've not heard of any 'unplayable'. Most have received games that are fun to play, but have some misc issues. I've only heard of the one monitor issue that would come close to qualifying as 'unplayable'. Some machines have lighting issues, Xeno issues... Heck, even my pre-prod game stuck on ver 0.94 with no playfield LCD, no working Xeno, LED issues - is still tons of fun to play.

2 weeks later
#19388 1 year ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I hope the bad playfields are not the end of Heighway, the theme is so cool it would be a shame if this is the begining of a catastrophe...

cliffy sells a protector for that spot - highly recommended. Of course, it should have come from the factory with one IMHO.

#19412 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

they are planning to drop the code upgrade soon.

Be glad you are not stuck on version 0.94. I really am getting tired of hearing "Not bad, for a human" after EVERY game.

#19430 1 year ago

Must....not...watch those videos.

I've been avoiding all the recent streams featuring new code. I don't want to spoil the surprise when I am finally able to upgrade from version 0.94. From what I've seen in the various read-me's - there's a TON of updates to look forward to.

#19638 1 year ago
Quoted from Makakka:

a man is responsible for his trust, only kids, women and fags blame third parties for their mistakes

2 weeks later
#19818 1 year ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

Got off the phone with Helmut today. Really nice guy. Looks like there's light at the end of the tunnel for getting my prototype game up to date. Thanks again, Helmut!

As I mentioned in PM - I really hope they do come through for you. However, just because you spoke to someone at Heighway and they promised action, does not mean it will happen. I received many, many promises over the past year since TPF - promises to send parts, and at one point they promised both me and Melissa at Cointaker they would send an entire replacement playfield. That didn't happen, and as of today, I have received nothing from Heighway except broken promises.

Thankfully, I purchased my game from Cointaker as opposed to Heighway directly, and I believe we may have come to an agreement to resolve my issues.

1 month later
#20365 1 year ago

...getting excited for TPF...

1 week later
#20392 1 year ago
Quoted from FightNightFZ:

do those that have played it, like it?

Yes!! ...and look what showed up today!!!

IMG_4361 (resized).JPG

Let's have an Alien unboxing party!!!

IMG_4363 (resized).JPG

Ohhhhh yeah!

IMG_4368 (resized).JPG

Let's open it up!

IMG_4370 (resized).JPG

SO glad to see the glass isn't broken - that's a good sign in my book.

IMG_4377 (resized).JPG

The goodie bag ...if you can call it that.

IMG_4378 (resized).JPG

Stripping off all the protective films - playfieled LCD, side art, backbox, etc...

IMG_4383 (resized).JPG

#20394 1 year ago

Of course!!

...and for those keeping score - this is a true 'production' ready machine that replaces my pre-production machine I purchased at TPF last year. It was so pre-production that I could not update code. This new machine came with version 1.04 (I think?) pre-loaded. I updated to the most recent 1.1 version before playing a single game. The update process was very quick and simple.

I immediately noticed a few differences between this new machine and the one I purchased last year. For one, the cutouts at the end of the ramps are circular - not tear shaped as they were. This helps the ball drop directly in the in-lane. Also noticed the wiring harness under the playfield is much neater. The Xeno mech is slightly different as well.

Before playing, I installed the Cliffy protector at the airlock scoop. I also had to adjust the pop bumper switches - as they hardly worked at all out of the box. After tweaking the switches, they work pretty damn good!! Also had a scare out of the box when both the playfield and backbox LCD;s didn't work. Neither were connected to the PC - so that was a quick easy fix.

IMG_4379 (resized).JPG

IMG_4386 (resized).JPG

IMG_4387 (resized).JPG

IMG_4396 (resized).JPG

#20397 1 year ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Did you return that machine to Cointaker?

Yep - that's it. Went straight from my SUV to Cointaker's truck. It wasn't even worthy of being on the floor for TPF...not a good representation of the game.

Now that I've put a few games into the new production machine on the latest code - it is much more polished - and damn near everything works! I've got a couple lights out, and my magnet is not as 'flingy' as I'd like despite making the menu adjustments. It works, but not as violently as I'd like. Oh - it was cool to see the Xeno actually grab and eat the ball~!

..gotta run for now..

IMG_4405 (resized).JPG

IMG_4409 (resized).JPG

#20409 1 year ago

Hey hey...happy Saturday!!

Just played some more of my updated, new and improved right out of the box Alien - IT IS AWESOME!!!!! If you are a fan of the movies, or if this is your grail theme - this game is the best thing since sliced bread.

But it's not easy.

Some will call it a 'clunker'...and there's some merit to that argument - the shots are tight. But if you can get into a flow on this machine, hit a multi-ball -stack another...Ohhh man. Light show - audio - awesome!

SO much improvement over the 'pre-production' game I've been playing this past year. Version 1.1 of the code MMMMMM yes. I had some chills tonight - no shit - a serious case of the chills at one point...

The sound is incredible!! Who needs a shaker with this much sub. No kidding.

Kneissl - I'll grab some pics of the cab wiring tomorrow. ...I'm just having too much fun playing tonight when everything's working and all... feel like I'm breaking it in - see a few things I'm gonna tweak (dreaming of launching from shooter right into the pops)...

#20411 1 year ago

I can only imagine the goodwill Heighway would reap if they could at least get machines to those paid in full. Shameful it's drug out this long for you guys.

IMG_4411 (resized).JPG

IMG_4427 (resized).JPG

IMG_4428 (resized).JPG

IMG_4430 (resized).JPG

IMG_4433 (resized).JPG

IMG_4434 (resized).JPG

IMG_4435 (resized).JPG

IMG_4436 (resized).JPG

IMG_4437 (resized).JPG

IMG_4438 (resized).JPG

IMG_4440 (resized).JPG

#20432 1 year ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

No guarantee money directly to Heighway will result in a game so use a credit card and make sure you're covered.

DO NOT ever buy from Heighway directly. You are MUCH safer and your money more protected if you buy through Cointaker or another reputable distributor. Trust me, I speak from experience.

1 week later
#20487 1 year ago

Ummm... my game is acting crazy - spitting out random balls...ending games early... rebooted, and launched two balls right away.

Reboot #2 ...let's see...

IMG_4462 (resized).JPG

If I start a game, will the tongue go in?

No....reboot #3

Tongue still out after reboot...time to lift the hood.

Hmmm, maybe this has something to do with it?

IMG_4464 (resized).JPG

Reconnected that...checked tongue mech...rebooted...

Not tongue doesn't come out at all. Suspect the switch that detects tongue... F it, lets start s game and see what happens...

IMG_4465 (resized).JPG

Wow....during ball one - game ended ball before it drained.

My game is now officially 'un-playable'.

Time to turn it off and come back to it fresh tomorrow.

Couldn't resist - booted up again and played one (crappy) game. Game #2, got Xeno multi-ball (no tongue)...kept spitting out balls until I had two left, then ended that ball with two still on the playfield.

Looks like I need to check/tweak the ball trough and xeno tongue switches.... fun.

#20490 1 year ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Check to see if the balls have become magnetized. ....

Thanks for the tips! I've been messing with it again today...seems better. I did double check all the connections - opto's, etc. I could not get the xeno to work in any of the calibration tests - tweaked and triple checked the 'tongue switch'. Eventually, I disabled the Xeno in the menu, and I've been able to successfully play several games with multi-balls.

Regardless, I'm going to go ahead and order some good non-magnetizable (is that word?) balls just in case.

MOTHER F*CKER!! Just as I posted the above - started another game and got two ball spitting out on ball one.....grrrrrr...

#20493 1 year ago
Quoted from lodgingdolphin:

Did you take out the balls to see if they are magnetized?

Looks like they are. New balls have been ordered.

IMG_4472 (resized).JPG

#20502 1 year ago

Alien is alive again......mostly.

I took out the ball trough assembly, cleaned it up real nice - tightened it up good on reinstall. It seems to have helped. I had a few folks over last night, and we played a bunch of games with no problems. That said, I still have my Xeno disabled - still need to see what's going on there. And yeah, occasionally the ball will not launch clean. But other than that, I was very happy that we were all able to play a bunch of games last night without any problems.

#20543 1 year ago
Quoted from PACMAN:

Man, i hope you get your game working 100%, so frustrating.

With the exception of my Xeno mech (disabled in the menu now) it's been playing good since I re-installed the ball trough. It held up with my friends over last Thursday, and it's been playing good tonight. It's been GREAT seeing the new enhancements in code. I'm now playing version 1.1 - while my 'pre-prod' machine was stuck on 0.94. SO MANY IMPROVEMENTS!!

#20589 1 year ago

I figured out what is wrong with my Xeno mech. It should be a super easy fix - as long as I can get the one part I need. If you look at the pics below, you can see the Xeno mech. The close-up shows the problem. That large white gear that drives the tongue is not spinning - while the motor is. It appears the center of that white gear has been ‘stripped’ and is no longer solidly connected to the motor shaft. All I need to fix this problem is a replacement white gear. I've asked for a few.

IMG_4480 (resized).JPG

IMG_4482 (resized).JPG