• 24,463 posts
  • 984 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by noitbe1
  • Topic is favorited by 261 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 2,795 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

D1D138C1-CC9C-4F78-8A5A-1124491ECEF2 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190501_214500606 (resized).jpg
CE329737-7E39-47CC-9D4A-13949E94DA14 (resized).png
alien-le-backglass.jpg
07950BFC-FFC9-41E6-A35D-FCED929A3E2A (resized).jpeg
7C818B25-8CC2-4EAF-9BC2-C03EDA106A67 (resized).jpeg
89AEE405-FAFD-495E-A368-30619E490D3D (resized).jpeg
1C7B6E9C-DF26-42C1-8C12-A6BAB90727A3 (resized).jpeg
62F79365-2E2F-4E0B-B030-891B6D277884 (resized).png
7CEC6A26-2DE5-480B-A908-D22FFF45BF78 (resized).png
E136D65B-4C59-41E1-97B7-1547BB7A4054 (resized).png
20190429_231750.jpg
20190429_231757.jpg
7EAE8407-9C1E-4ABE-BBEB-87A755015D33 (resized).jpeg
3B481B8A-23EE-453E-8C78-1B2980553823 (resized).jpeg
817B9CE1-8167-433B-B133-D17F8CFE7C04 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (2 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (2 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (2 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (2 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (2 years ago)

Post #11372 Nordman outline for Alien Posted by solarvalue (2 years ago)

Post #11389 CAD comparison of final Aliens vs Nordman drawing Posted by EalaDubhSidhe (2 years ago)

Post #11417 Gameplay from Heighway as of 2/28/17 Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13008 Andrew reveals the LE artwork and ramp installation in an alien day video Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13013 Andrew confirms LE art is finally approved by fox Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #13022 Andrew explains the artist difference for the LE backglass Posted by HeighwayPinball (2 years ago)

Post #14488 Andrew returns, hints at big announcement coming in a few days. Posted by HeighwayPinball (1 year ago)

Post #15501 Copy of update posted to Facebook by the new HP Posted by Dust2000 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 4 years ago

This looks like a really nice layout, seems like a lot of thought has gone into this, it was interesting to read the explanation of the shots, thanks.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Plungemaster:

Looks like a fun lay out destroyed by a flipper. Omg, that will stand in the way constantly.

Good point, let's just play it safe and go back to two flippers at the bottom.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from jms121:

I am looking at the layout,is there just one ramp in this game?

"D" is also a ramp I believe.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Andrew is a class act too. His interview was excellent. I never felt like I was listening to a salesman who was just saying what he thought I wanted to hear. Also never felt like he was being coy as he answered every question when he could, and when he couldn't, he was very polite about it and always had a good reason as to why. He also never came across as arrogant or cocky (like some of the others did) but rather very humbled by the whole experience of being able to show his pinball ideas in Chicago.

Now that you mention it, I have to agree. He did handle the interview very well. He took everyone's questions seriously and treated them with respect no matter how crazy they were. He is doing a good job at representing his company.

1 month later
#407 4 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The lit side panel is standard on all heighway games, here is their latest cabinet, you can see where the art goes.

Why the large cutouts at the flipper buttons, start button, and shooter rod?

#410 4 years ago

New article from Pavlov Pinball:

http://pavlovpinball.com/alien/

#417 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

I think what Andrew is planning is that you can have an online account and add credit, and then when you go to an arcade or bar where there is a Heighway Pinball machine you will be able to log on to it somehow and it will then display your high scores from before, and you will be able to pay for games from your online account rather than having to pay with coins.

Cool idea!

2 weeks later
#521 4 years ago

A very innovative layout with a lot of shots. I really like the location of the upper right flipper and the two shots directly to the right of it, especially that short ramp. The arrangement of the left flipper is cool too with the lane behind it. The left outlane looks really interesting.

Dennis did a good job, great designer. Obviously too early to tell but it certainly looks like it will be fun to shoot.

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Cool renders! That side ramp shot looks tight!

Looks like there is a little scoop in the metal rail to help the ball get around.

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I believe that would be beyond cool, as it gives some interaction to the backbox...

Agree, I think an LCD in the backbox with an overhead cam kit would be great as an add-on option so the playfield action could be displayed on the backbox for spectators.

2 months later
#758 4 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

We are just wiring it up now and expect to be flipping this afternoon, or the morning.

Early morning Thursday in Wales now, I wonder if there will be any news about the whitewood today? Also, Andrew said the "guides" arrived, do they have the wireforms and ramps yet?

4 months later
#1175 3 years ago
Quoted from TOK:

it looks like its lifted from a kids cartoon

You say that like it's a bad thing...

2 weeks later
#1474 3 years ago

Here's a side by side comparison:

Alien side by side.png

1 month later
#1758 3 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

They can't blame licensing restrictions on not being able to show the game but then show it to folks who attend a pinball show at their facility. That contradicts what they are saying and should be a little concerning.

Not really, the people who saw it at the show were not allowed to take photographs. I think the issue is with images of the game getting out before they have been fully approved.

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

My guess is that this is one reason why the shallow backbox is a good design. It doesn't look odd to have no artwork on the sides of it.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.

#1910 3 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

did i miss reading any mention on an australian distributor for heighway?

Zax Amusements, Melbourne, they have one on the showroom floor.

#1922 3 years ago

Maybe they should make the "c" ramp an up-and-down ramp like in Whirlwind or Pinbot, plenty of space behind there for a lane to a saucer or target.

#1935 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

C is not a ramp but an orbit shot. D is the ramp.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I meant "d".

#2000 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I guess you could drape a towel over the front of the cabinet when replacing the playfield to make sure you don't impact the plates.

Yep and maybe some carpet on the floor so you are not dragging the brackets across the concrete. Cool that they are not afraid to manhandle the game though.

#2007 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm adding a Full Throttle playfield to my Alien order. This is too awesome.

It's going to be very interesting to see how swappable games drive sales for Heighway. As we see here, with this model popular themes can drive sales of titles which are less immediately popular because people have more incentives to buy games for the system.

#2009 3 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

The video also highlights why there are those (admittedly not pretty) metal plates on the front of the cabinet. This is where the back corners of the playfield rails impact the cabinet when sliding the playfield out to the floor.

I guess most of the time you'd get a friend to help, then you wouldn't have to lower the playfield down to the floor like that, you could just slide it out most of the way and then the other person would grab the other end. That way you could then both lift it over to its storage box and it wouldn't need to touch the floor at all.

#2015 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

that's what I would do, except I don't like the theme of FTH one bit.

I also don't like the theme of FTH but having now played it, it's actually more of a neutral theme rather than being offensive. It has a feel kind of like Indy 500, sort of retro in a way.

#2054 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Is the glass able to be replaced with PDI or inviszglass?

Yep.

#2114 3 years ago

Even if they weren't thinking of doing Archer, they should really look into hiring Keith Elwin to do some games. His Archer design is outstanding and he said he would love to do contractual work as a pinball designer in the latest This Flippin' Podcast. Andrew Heighway is switched on, he has made some great staffing decisions, hiring Elwin and Zombie Yeti would be a great next move in my opinion.

1 month later
#2380 3 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Like this. You can apparently retro fit if you have already bought

This is a great option, much better than a translite, should really pull in people on location.

2 months later
#3675 3 years ago

This is fun, thanks for doing this Aurich. Looks cool so far.

#3918 3 years ago

I think this playfield looks awesome. Congratulations Aurich for having the courage to present your own vision. It's obvious that you have put a lot of thought into the design. I was really enjoying the explanation of the details before the full playfield was posted - please continue with this, I would really like to learn more about the decisions you made and the background to some of the other elements. I have seen the movies but I am not a diehard fan so it fear that some of the detail will be lost on me otherwise.

#3922 3 years ago

I really like the gridlines in the middle section. I like how some of the squares have a different tone, looks cool. So many little details, love the little ships everywhere. I like the overall concept of having the motion tracker up close by the flippers, makes it feel like the alien is almost on top of you, and then having the more expansive feeling of space as you get further away. Great design, it's got its own style, unlike anything we've seen in pinball before, well done!

#3931 3 years ago

OK, here's a quick and nasty mock-up. Best I could do with the very low-res shot map. At least it gives you an general idea of where things will go.

Edit: this is lined-up better:

full-playfield_+_shot_map_(resized).jpg

#3934 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It needs stretched vertically. It's way off at the top, but gives a good idea of it anyways.

OK fixed.

#3978 3 years ago

A different pic of the playfield from EAG showing the screen:

Alien_playfield_V2_(resized).jpg

#3979 3 years ago

And with shot map:

full-playfield_+_shot_map_V2_(resized).jpg

#3994 3 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

Both playfields look amateurish compared to jjp and stern offerings.

Really, really, really (but respectfully) disagree with this.

#4009 3 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

He's half right. Way better than Stern, better than Full Throttle, but Hobbit is better.

Again I respectfully disagree. This seems better thought-out, design-wise, than the Hobbit playfield to me.

#4024 3 years ago

Yep, much better than my crappy overlay attempt, looks even more cohesive now. Pre-orderers should be very happy.

#4038 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeHogue:

But right above this should've been an Alien. Large and in your face like the witch in WOZ or the dragon in TH. Something to immediately tell you that you're playing an Alien pin.

Pretty sure that's there right between the flippers if you look closely.

#4039 3 years ago

That's a really great description of your thought process in creating this playfield, thanks Aurich, it's a really intelligent design.

Quoted from Aurich:

I have a call with Nate for C2C

Great! Looking forward to it.

#4042 3 years ago
Quoted from TheDude75:

Please don't give Aurich this much credit for the Hobbit playfield. People might start to think he was the one who created it. One or two suggestions from him were implemented. And those were about the first reveal and not the final version.
JP

OK, point taken. Sorry about that, no disrespect intended, i'll edit my previous post.

#4256 3 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Will actors be in the clips/animations at all?

He said he doesn't know yet.

1 month later
#4703 3 years ago

They are just going to show some clearcoated playfields, right? There was no talk about populated playfields earlier in the thread.

1 month later
#5147 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This is the first time I've wished we had a private owners forum.

You mean something like this?

http://heighwaypinball.com/forum/index.php

2 months later
#6370 2 years ago

I love a good center post:

#6429 2 years ago
Quoted from redundor:

Just watched David Thiel's talk at the Northwest show and I must say the stuff he could let us listen to is sounding really awesome!

See here:

https://www.twitch.tv/nwpinballarcadeshow/v/70537626

Discussion of Alien sound starts at 36:45.

2 weeks later
#6632 2 years ago
Quoted from bane:

I was impressed enough to stick with it. I think this will be a great game.

Heighway_mind_trick_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#7077 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

You can just go to heighways first post and click on the black head and shoulders in the upper right and it will only show his posts so you don't have to see all the others.

You can also "follow" Andrew and other industry people using the "pulse" feature. I follow Andrew and Gerry from Multimorphic. Then you will be able to keep track of their posts. Just hover over their avatar picture and click on the follow icon.

1 week later
#7200 2 years ago
Quoted from ZenTron:

left bullseye insert still doesnt line-up with the green stand-up target like the right one does.

Yeah, but that's because the stand-up target is not centered in the playfield hole, the stand-up could be moved a little to the left.

2 weeks later
#7452 2 years ago

Alien: $6300/$8050

BM66: $8599/$9999

Heighway better have that line ready to go after Expo.

4 weeks later
#8438 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Here is a pretty cool Alien video that shows the light show:

Great video, game looks great.

#8526 2 years ago
Quoted from Star_Gazer:

Also...what's up with the non HD footage..was there ANYONE at the expo with a better phone then this ?

Grab the one on Dialed In...

2 weeks later
#8952 2 years ago

Because it's still early days, both the companies you cited are new and have achieved an enormous amount in the last few years. They started from nothing and are now on the verge of manufacturing these swappable systems. When they are up and running and producing in quantity buyers will get behind them.

1 week later
#9225 2 years ago
Quoted from PaulCoff:

I still call BS or English is a 2nd language to you because I asked you to post KT's letter.

Yes, I believe he speaks Australian.

1 week later
#9358 2 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

There are plenty of childish happy themes out there but don't bring that trash into this thread.

cbe42704eeac060641265d99c18cc130 (resized).jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

1 month later
#10129 2 years ago

Game looks good, hopefully they can get them going.

2 weeks later
#10611 2 years ago

The game looks cool lit up! Really hope someone puts this on location near me.

#10615 2 years ago

Hopefully its not too much longer before they start shipping the first games, it seems like there were 5 games there almost ready to go.

1 week later
#10936 2 years ago

Congrats Andrew and the Heighway team! Always great to see a new pin shipping.

#11067 2 years ago
Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

If you ask me how long it will take to show a gameplay video, then my answer will be a LOT less than 2 weeks

Probably best to just round it up to 2 weeks.

#11081 2 years ago

This looks really fun! How do the weapons work?

1 week later
#11372 2 years ago

Nordman actually said that he was not the designer but that he did the initial playfield drawing:
http://www.pinballnews.com/news/nordmanheighway.html

Here's the original Nordman drawing:

8fa48c0cfaffcf4e305d2e6d4d42bb2e65db6ee2 (resized).jpg

Quoted from karl:

I think that Nordmann should get credit for coming up with the idea in the first place

I agree he should still be given credit for the initial drawing and for being a better judge of how long it would take to produce the game.

2 weeks later
#11804 2 years ago

Factory looks great, well done Heighway. They must be very proud of what they have achieved so far.

#11805 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Shows they are actual pinheads.

I don't think there can be any doubt about that, you would have to have crazy passion to take on such a huge undertaking.

1 month later
#13265 2 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Star wars was a legit killer theme in the 90s, the theme is burned out from the crummy movies imo. The latest movies help a little, but I still value the theme less than I did before episode one.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night. It's the new Star Wars - original, funny, engaging - everything Star Wars used to be.

1 month later
#14752 1 year ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Its time for the small guys to band together.
Highway, American Pinball, Jersey Jack, and dare i say Dutch pinball. Maybe even spooky.
They should get together and form super pin company!

JJP and Spooky are doing just fine, they have product to sell. Dutch and Heighway are in trouble and would likely drag the others down. Too early to tell for American Pinball.

#14955 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Sorry...while a few of Kaneda's podcasts have been amusing in a strange way, his venom for Aurich and Alien was ( is) very real. I avoid most of them ( listened to the Gomez one...tame enough)....".believe half of what you see....

Although he was overly harsh on occasion, in all fairness, his suspicions about Alien production turned out to be justified.

2 months later
#15799 1 year ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

It is easy to put unintended content down there that isn't appropriate at the time

c48 (resized).jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.

2 weeks later
#16117 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

My P3 is flying to Heathrow on Tuesday.

Great! Please post a review when you get it, we haven't heard anything yet from the first P3 customers.

3 weeks later
#16577 1 year ago
Quoted from Toads:

And so now there not on route.
Somebody can't make their mind up.

Are these Aliens real?

#16581 1 year ago
Quoted from Ferret:

There is some precedent for such a feature. Several games in the mid 90s offered "novice mode", which was effectively a 1 ball game with a 2 minute ball saver -- so guaranteed at least 2 minutes of play time. And back in the mid 80s, Bally's Motordome prompted each player to choose a "level"... higher levels had harder rules but bigger scores (level = playfield X, I think?).

The Multimorphic P3 does this right now, players can choose preset profiles (easy, medium, hard, etc.) or make custom profiles. Players of different abilities can then play handicapped to level the playfield, so to speak.

#16642 1 year ago

Since you Alien guys are asleep, I'll post the latest from Facebook for you:

First larger batch of 25 built. Some still need to go through QC. Then a container will be off to the US and single ones to other places.

Alien production line (resized).jpg

Aliens in boxes (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#17147 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Just my opinion, not looking to create an argument but I always thought the whole kit/swap out playfield idea was a waste of time, energy and low profit for HP. Just crank out machines and have extra parts to ship out to current clients.The concept sounds neat but in the end a total waste of time. Stern could have started this program by now. Why haven't they? Because there's not enough profit.

Well, it's never been Stern's MO to innovate.

Quoted from greenhornet:

so instead, Multimorphic did.
in the end, i expect they will understand why it isn't a good idea as well.

Multimorphic's game change system is a lot more practical than Heighway's. Modules are smaller and lighter, making them much quicker and easier to change over. And there's a whole lot more to the Multimorphic P3 than just being able to swap games. By the way, check out their new website:

https://www.multimorphic.com/

1 month later
#18720 1 year ago
Quoted from Nethawk86:

Funny how they can't understand how their ordering systems works lol "but some seem to be posted to pour gasoline on the fire, even from people that we do not have on our order book." Ummm you do know that people who order your stuff from distributors will not be "in your book", yet are still customers right lmao.

Maybe by "order book" they mean: "everyone who has ordered from them directly or through distributors".

4 months later
#20519 1 year ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

We haven't heard much about the newest run. Anyone?

I was told the ship with the LEs sunk, but they are preparing a new shipment right now should be ready in a few more weeks.

I heard that the new investors signed a contract with an old business partner of theirs and the next batch was shipping via hydrofoil...should arrive in 2 weeks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 50.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider solarvalue.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside