pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
zKszZMu.gif

Topic index (key posts)

53 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #9151 Insight from Alien's programmer on tournament mode Posted by Ferret (7 years ago)

Post #9234 Update on distribution Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #9660 Here we show you a short clip from the 'Ambush Multiball' mode Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #10128 Photo of Alien at UK Trade Show Posted by unigroove (7 years ago)

Post #10230 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10231 game play video from EAG UK tradeshow Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (7 years ago)

Post #10914 Alien ships Posted by ZenTron (7 years ago)

Post #10916 Alien ships Posted by HeighwayPinball (7 years ago)

Post #11230 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by ezeltmann (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4146 8 years ago

Lots to like about the art and lots not to like. Overall I find a lack of consistency in the style of the art, seems like three of four different styles combined and that just seems off to me. I think TBL has a little bit of this mixed style as well, but to a far lesser degree, since it seems, based on memory, to be just the characters that were of a different style than the rest.

There other aspects that don't sit right, but really hard to really judge until it is populated. I don't get the closed in feeling of the movies, that added to the intensity.

I like the movies, but I'm not a die hard fan, so this was not a must have theme for me, but one I was open to. However, I will say from what I see right now, this does not make me want to go grab my credit card. I'll hold off on final judgement until I can see the whole package of art, plastics and playfield components.

I have to think Aurich now has a better appreciation for what other artists have done, and the challenges associated with doing art for a pinball machine, especially when a licensed theme is involved. Hard to make everyone happy even when you don't have those types of constraints, and in this case, I don't think he also had the designer putting in his two cents, although I am sure there were plenty of opinions from folks at heighway.

#4295 8 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

but would many Joe Users keep a 2nd playfield tucked away, to swap and play. Seems too much effort, compared to the more common model of multiple cabinets - simply walk-up and play the next machine.

your assumption is that everyone has room for a big collection or multiple machines, what if you only have room for one or two games? Then this model works great, especially since you can keep a second under neath and swap it in. Now, Not sure I see a home user swapping the side art or backglass art when they do that, like an operator would. Also allows selling/trading/loaning a game easier, since a much smaller item to ship. Plus, you can always buy cabinets for each machine your buy.

The P3 is taking this same approach, but with a smaller playfield to swap, in both cases future games are less expensive when you don't need another cabinet, computer, audio system, etc.

I do agree about the bevel, really, really looks off to me. It would be nice if there was an alternative version that just had generic side art of some kind, so it could have a more traditional look on top. I think the P3 is using magnetic art to slap on the side, so it does not have the same challenge with the bevel. As i said, hard to see a home user, who is swapping the playfield frequently, also swapping the side art, but I guess only time will tell.

1 week later
#4565 8 years ago
Quoted from woodworker:

The license SPECIFICALLY doesn't allow for hand drawn art?

Look at TBL, it is almost all a hand drawn look, except the actors/characters. I'm sure a lot of that is the challenge of getting approval from the actors on the use of their likeness. You stick to the pre-approved images and that issue is greatly reduced. The reality is the studio is not making any money on a Pinball license, given their legal costs, cost of the staff to handle their reviews/approvals, talking to the actors for their approvals (well, so far that is not the case here, unless the Alien has some legal rights to his likeness), etc. therefore they are going to be restrictive in areas that would increase their costs.

1 month later
#4868 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I don't know this part for a fact, but all the Predator jokes are why I personally think things have taken so long. Kevin stank up the joint, and now we're all walking through the noxious cloud he left behind. If you were Fox wouldn't you be a little gunshy now? Extra layers of CYA? I try not to think about it, because that whole thing is nothing but frustration. But I do think it's a factor.

I seriously doubt this is a factor in anyway. Fox has done pinball licensing and tons of other similar licensing in the past. It is not like Kevin was working with them and then doing things outside what they approved, etc. that would make them suddenly concerned.

This type of licensing is of little value to Fox in the big picture of things, they only do this to type of thing to promote the brand. In all likelihood what you guys are paying them for the license does not even cover their costs of working with you, so handling approvals, etc. is certainly not a priority for them.

The value can be so low, that I know at times they will not even look at granting a license for some properties, since the effort to deal with it (e.g. the actors, producers, other rights holders), is just not worth the headache.

1 year later
#14154 6 years ago
Quoted from fastpinball:

SFGE gets Total Annihilation, NWPAS gets Alien. I wish both could have both! Next year!

Houdini will be at both

#14226 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

That said, i was smart enough to learn from previous lessons and don't put in preorder on ANY game. I hope you get your refund. Anyone requesting should get it! Period!

I assume by previous lessons you are referring to predator, but I'm confused, don't you have an alien in your possession? How did you get that if you did not pre-order? Can you clarify?

10 months later
#20962 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Just curious why?

the question is what would it take to do it, what are those costs and when all is said and done and is there enough upside to do it . . .

1) replace electronics, not like any existing company would want to use a different control system then then use and have to maintain it, make the boards, etc. so what does it take to re-engineer and port it over to that companies platform.
2) Code -- this also likely needs to be ported to a different system, what is the time/cost of doing that? Can the original developers do it, or would that require getting them up to speed on the new platform vs re-doing it with one of your own developers. How much re-work to assets is needed, etc.
3) Cabinet -- hard to see anyone keeping the current cabinet design, so what is involved in re-engineering the game for a different cabinet, power supply, etc.
4) its a wide body game (and not sure if it is even standard wide body dimensions) -- so, can this playfield size go down the existing assembly line.
5) Are new vendors going to be needed for the game specific parts, meaning if current vendors are owed money are they going to be willing to be involved. Tooling costs?
6) Are the current unique mechs reliable, or do they also need to be re-engineered, etc.
7) you need to renew the license with fox, and given the issues with this, they may certainly want more money this time and a larger guarantee. They may also decide they just don't want to do it.
8 What do you do with those who paid for machines and never got them, you have no real requirement to make things right but does that leave a cloud handing over this.

So you have all of those costs, all of these downsides, so how much are you now willing to spend to acquire the 'assets'? What are they really worth given how much needs to be done? Probably not enough for this to make this make sense. Not saying it is impossible, but, there are some pretty big hurdles to overcome and very little upside vs doing your own title.

1 month later
#22349 5 years ago

Take your time on the decision, don't let your emotions at this moment drive it. While you have come to grips with with some of them, clearly you have not fully processed and recovered from what has been an in extremely emotional and difficult journey. You can always find someone or some place to store it NIB for you so it is not in your presence, but once you sell it, it is gone.

While Alien and Highway is ultimately a story of 'what could have been', the reality is you were part of some thing special and the machine does represent a lot of hard work and team work from the design team, and having had long talks with two members of the team, I know how proud they are of the work and how fondly they view the design/creative team they worked with -- I have to think there are some very good memories that can be focused on, while forgetting Andrew.

As I said, take your time.

1 month later
#22714 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are you currently working on any other pins?

Quoted from Ferret:

I’m fortunate enough to be working on another game right now (for American Pinball),

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rosh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-pinball-official-game-thread?tu=rosh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.